Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A depression era painting from when a dime was really money.

Saintguru ran a thread yesterday discussing the obsolescence of coinage in commerce. That was not true of course eighty years ago.

I recently came across this painting offered on Ebay. It was done by my cousin Ben Glicker, in 1937.

Ben was a colorful, humorous and larger than life man, well at least to this pint sized cousin who first made note of his artistry in 1960 or so.

Had never seen anything that he had done previous to that time until I came across this portrait painted in 1937, when Ben was in his early 20's.
What most caught my attention was the reverse image, showing that Ben had reused a canvas of a still life. Took me a moment to realize that any money was dear in the late 1930's. Enough so that both sides of the canvas were fair game.

Like many artists, my cousin never earned a regular income from his painting, he was a high school art instructor for many decades. A most notable accomplishment though was his assistance to Diego Rivera in creating the well known (an at the time quite controversial) mural of an auto assembly line at the Detroit institute of Arts.

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting story and very interesting painting, so unique. Did you acquire it? And also do you know who the subject was?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to know too !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting story and very interesting painting, so unique. Did you acquire it? And also do you know who the subject was? >>

Thank you ms70. Don't know who the model is but the eyes resemble those of my grandmother, who otherwise looked nothing like the subject.

I should probably lay out the $320 and buy it but have not.
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a great painting. I just bought it ! image
  • Options

<< <i>That's a great painting. I just bought it ! image >>

Glad to see it will have a good home!
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Neat story, I like the painting. However....image....even today artists reuse their canvases.
  • Options
    I dig the story & painting.

Alex
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story.... My Mom (90 years old) paints, and has frequently re-used canvas's ... I try to prevent that by buying her lots of new one's.. but occasionally she does it anyway..... She will likely never be a famous painter, but I like her work and keep them. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's cool. Kind of funny that you post this and someone buys your family members painting before you have a chance to do it!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should buy it as there's more history to that painting then another white 1881-S Morgan your likely to spend the same fund on.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

<< <i>That's cool. Kind of funny that you post this and someone buys your family members painting before you have a chance to do it! >>

I had plenty of chance and decided to pass. Can't own them all!
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reuse of canvas was not unusual in the early 20th century. Money was tight and artists then, as now, have difficulty making ends meet.

The huge Diego Rivera mural in the Detroit Institute of Arts (a fresco) is one of the museum's true prizes. Fortunately, it is still very much intact, unlike the Diego Rivera fresco at Rockefeller Center in New York which was destroyed because of its leftist slant.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool read MGLICKER, Just the fact that he worked With Diego Rivera is awesome
    I'm a big fan of Diego's work image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    with permission from op i post some of my daddys work up here
    as i don't want to derail or crash his thread here

enjoy if ya do

alot of artist have special passions in life...some include coins
    my dad had a 1926-d buffalo in au as pride n joy of what he had found in circulation...me i had my 1926-s in vf i bought...a father n son thing image

so raising some of the wildest 1960's kids...5 of them to be exact...my dad worked 3 jobs...and one would find always doing something artsy
    never missed a beat to the point i knew i'd be a great man if i could ever achieve 1/2 of his accomplishments n feats in life

so here's a peer in on some pieces of my daddys works...enjoy if ya do

these oil paintings hang in the front room...when he passed...i was amazed my siblings were focused on other things dad which didn't include his artimage

in los angeles in the late 60's to 70's he was approached to do some art for an underground comic project
    they liked his ability so much..."his was the lead story inside"....note the childish coverwork isn't his work...presented by one everyone loved...his "chicken-bear"

now he did have a breakout shot when the art department of warner brothers studio hired him...this randy newman album cover was a project he worked on
    he painted as directed the rocking chairs on it...after working 3 weeks and still no paycheck he told them to stuff this job as he had 5 kids and wife at home...some 5 weeks later they coughed up his checks...below is another one of his lil doodlings

myself
    i've done some works but nothing comes close
    my artwork was picked for january when i was approached for an " abate of oregon" motorcycle calender in which i drew the 1923 henderson ace by the founders
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Teddy: I wish I could get a closer look at those paintings. They look great!
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Teddy: I wish I could get a closer look at those paintings. They look great! >>

send me a pm with a email for a large clean copy...anyone who'd like i should add...the world hasn't ever seen most of my dads work
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options

<< <i>That's cool. Kind of funny that you post this and someone buys your family members painting before you have a chance to do it! >>

image He knows were to find me...happy to sell it back down the road ! We have a semi revolving art gallery in our home, put stuff on the wall for awhile, then pass it along.
    It's a really nicely done portrait, in a style and pallete that works great in many different ways...

I buy art in a very spontaneous fashion, this was no exception and as I told the OP, a nice bottle of wine with dinner helped image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting story with creativity that is off the charts. Well done...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - that's cool! image

Congrats on picking those up!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Nice artwork, Vegasteddy. Really like the China Town painting.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did the painting just make it to the wall? You noted that you cycle them through.....Cheers, RickO

• Options

I think she's moved twice in 5 years. We've named her Babs..

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what's been posted, it's a nice piece. I see why you like it.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@astrorat said:
    From what's been posted, it's a nice piece. I see why you like it.

It is stellar. Speaks to me as well

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread scared me. I thought the forum caught the Glicker-19 virus.

• Options

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    This thread scared me. I thought the forum caught the Glicker-19 virus.

😅
    You know, I saw a bunch of Glicker reboots and remembered the connection to this painting,
    I had forgotten...but I did have some worthwhile PM's from the dude at the time, a bunch of history about the artist...etc.
    All lost now..🤬
    Funny thing is, most all of the coins I had 5 years ago are long gone, but I still have the painting!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file