Home U.S. Coin Forum

My local dealers shun slabbed coins. Do they in your area?

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
Some of the threads I have seen today, have me thinking. I know from first hand experience that the dealers in which I visit in SE Wisconsin don't want to purchase slabbed coins. They prefer raw coins. I also know from conversations with other collectors, some, like me, prefer slabbed coins for a various reasons.

With that said, how do dealers in your locals like or dislike slabbed coins?

Please list a general area and if dealers like or dislike and why.

I'll add some additional comments either later or tomorrow.

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    No, but around here they don't understand them. That is, the shop owners. It's a bit different at the local show.
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    In south central Wisconsin they only want to buy PCGS certified coins for half value and they want to sell you overgraded stuff at red book prices and if they do have a slabbed coin it is in a SEGS or PCI holder.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Darktone,

That is two for our homestate of Wisconsin.

Too bad our Packers lost.

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually only two dealers are dealt with here in Portland.

One dealer does not have a single slabbed coin in his shop period. If he does have them he does not let anyone know as he hates the slab industry or so it seems. I believe he knows I collect slabbed coins but the subject plain does not get any discussion. He still has his hard core bunch of folks that buy only raw coins. I have not ever tried to sell him a slabbed coin because of the fear of getting the boot from his shop.

The other dealer can take them or leave them. He has a appreciation for nice coins and when he makes purchases actually the number on the slab means nothing to him. If it is correct in his opinion he will buy the coin if not he just passes on it. When talking coins with him slabbing comes up almost everytime. For the most part he will only send a coin in if he thinks the slab will increase its chance of a sale or if a collector requests that the coin be sent in.

A few other shops are around but for the most part the inventory is usually very weak. I think a couple of these other shop owners do alot on Ebay without offering thier coins to local customers. Anyway that is the Rumors that have been heard. I guess this has really turned off some of thier customers.

Guess it is a Take It or Leave It attitude with the folks I seek coins from locally.

Ken
  • BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    When you walk into the shop to sell, it's hard for the dealer to tell you your coin is au when it's in a MS65 holder. That's why they don't want to buy slabbed coins.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,621 ✭✭
    I wouldn't offer a local dealer a high grade slabbed coin, or expect to buy one there. Normally I spend $10 to $50 in these shops buying proof sets, raw low value pieces for kids collections, books, supplies, etc. For the most part, local store front dealers play in a different game. Nothing wrong with that, ir is just a different game.

Greg
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    281fifth, hit the nail on the head. When dealing with slabs your dealing with greysheet pricing! For Buying and selling. You (Mr Customer who got some coins from your poor old uncle, Herold who is no longer with us). Your coins are slabbed by PCGS, They say MS65, you can look them up on the internet and get an idea of prices. But if poor old Herolds coins are raw, my dealer looks at them and they are all AU! Pays you AU prices, and sell them as MS65s!! Poor old Herold is spinning in his grave!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I dont' see a lot where I go in southern OR. They always have a few slabs, but mostly raw. I'm not sure if they're shunned or not. They do seem to be reasonable with their grading of raw coins.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Same experience here. 4 local dealers. 2 in stores sell 99% raw only and play the undergrade when buying / overgrade when selling. Interestingly, when I had some $100-$300 raw coins, neither was willing to pay more than AU money. They acknowledged that they could be MS but said they didn't know the series well enough, so low-balled the pricing as a hedge. Their stories were so similar it was as if they were scripted.

The other local dealer has 50% slabbed inventory, but it is they low eye appeal stuff most people don't want. A few nice coins, but hit or miss.

The last one deals in high-end raw. Real nice stuff. He is the epitome of customer service. He guarantees his coins will make the slabbed grade at PCGS or NGC or he will provide a full refund. And if you every want to resell to upgrade, he will apply 100% of the value to the new coin. How cool is that?
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
    Blade,

Sound like a great dealer!

• MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    Wow Blade, your last dealer sounds great.

My local dealer has 4 or 5 PCGS coins at the most. Often it is just some modern US gold eagle. Everything else is raw. The circulated coins are correctly graded but the uncirculated coins are a gamble. Some are correct; some are AU coins. The crazy thing is he is a NGC and PCGS authorized dealer and has almost no graded coins.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • They don't in Chicago, I go to the shops and they all have slabbed coins. I have never tried to purchased one because I find them higher than ebay. Infact I find more slabbed than raw. You should tell those Cheese heads to get with the program.

<< <i> You should tell those Cheese heads to get with the program. >>

LOL!

I wish they never came up with those cheese hats. Maybe that why there are so many slow people here. Their brains are made up of cheese. (oh wait, I must be one of them?) LOLimage

• fcloud, ahhh we like you Cheese Heads...just wait until tomorrow night...The Bears in there new Palace....just you wait. LOL
    da Bears on top? What is this world coming to? LOL.

In fun of course. My dad was, as he would say, "born and raised in Chicago." Eventhough he now lives in CA, he is still a die hard Bear fan.

• fcloud, Then I would have to say you are a transplanted Cheese Head...you dont count..yes I am just having a little fun with ya. Should be a good game GreenBay and Chicago on the 29th.
  • my problem is my local dealer is 100 miles from home.he is a certified pcgs dealer which means here he can submit coins to pcgs if you cant.he will look at a pcgs slabbed coin and say if you cracked that out ,it would never get that grade again.to me that is unethical as my understanding of the system is that he should honor pcgs graded material as an accurate accessment of grade
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The last one deals in high-end raw. Real nice stuff. He is the epitome of customer service. He guarantees his coins will make the slabbed grade at PCGS or NGC or he will provide a full refund. And if you every want to resell to upgrade, he will apply 100% of the value to the new coin. How cool is that? >>

Sounds like someone I know. image .....as it should be! My money says he'll buy it back at 100% because he knows it's ALL THERE!
  • the dealer by my house says that slabbed coins are no better than unslabbed.. and are worth no more

BUT!

he sells the slabbed coins for a premium. go figure.

• << <i>Darktone,

Tony >>

image Go Vikings!!!!

And we'll do it again when they come to the dome to!

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    My opinion is most local shop owners and dealers down play the importance of slabs because of what they do -- they level the playing field in terms of knowledge, and they drive up a dealer's cost for a coin, and they eleiminate any chance of puffing by the dealer, so all sliders go to the benefit of the buyer.

Quite frankly, I think many local dealers were prefer you trust them and not the third-party grader. To me, that never made much sense, not when money is involved and I have it and the dealer wants it. I won't buy raw coins, and I miss out on a few bargains, but I think overall, I come out way ahead.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a saying in numismatics: "If you don't know your coins, know your dealer." I would modify that somewhat: "If you don't know your coins, find another hobby."
    All glory is fleeting.
    Barberlover,

Vikings, what are Vikings. LOL,

Yep, it doesn't look good for the Pack this year, but Favre has had worse starts, we'll see what happens.

• darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    The packers have been on top for quite a while so I am not too upset if they lose a few games. It must be rough being a bear fan the last decade or soimage. mike
  • Yes! The dealer here in Louisville is a NGC dealer but has no NCG and very few PCGS coins. They Suck!! image
  • My local dealer carries both slabs and raw. He knows I don't care for slabs and if I buy one it will be cracked out
    right after I get home, thus the label from whoever has no value to me, just eye appeal. On slabbed coins the
    dance over price is a bit stricter than raw.
    Scott M

Everything is linear if plotted log-log with a fat magic marker
  • In the Philly suburban area where I live, there is a mixture. In my specific closed area dealers are few, very very very few. One is a stickler for slabs and we've gotten into some heated arguments where he has gone as far as insulting me at which point I stoped going to his shop. Its no skin off my rear as I consider him a shyster. There is a newer dealer, who I visited and got promply ripped off. He is slabs only, and swears by them up and down. I dealt with him once and trusted him and he scorched the skin off my rear. Never again, he I consider a crook. Those two are the ones who are less honest in my opinion than the raw dealers I know. Neither one gets what I am saying when I say a coin in a holder is a 63 when the slab says its a 65. They could put a coin through the blender and destroy it, then put it in a 65 slab and to them its a 65, period. Bullcrap. Its stupidity, stubborness, and greed. There is another dealer in a local flea market, he's a scammer too. Tons of junk, prices way too high. I stopped looking after the first binder full of garbage. I have to travel a good hour and a half or more to two shops I trust. Both deal primarily in raw coins, but on occasion a slab will show up in their case. For the most part, I agree with their raw grading so I feel they are honest. Both are willing to negotiate and deal. Both have the same opinion on slabs. Basically they can take them or leave them, but would rather leave them, and I agree. My biggest beef is that truly locally, and by that I mean a 20 or 30 minute drive, not an hour or more, there are 2 dealers, and both are shysters. Needless to say, coin collecting for me is slow and frustrating as I really have to wait until the once or twice a year local show to get anything. There are a ton more dealers in the Philly suburbs but they are either outfits like Heritage where you need to walk in the door with a quarter million or they would not give you the time of day, or they are farther out of my way and not worth the trip.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another old thread with a few familiar names, some likely gone forever.

theknowitalltroll;
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

20 years old or not, it's my experience that in NorCal shops tend to be much more receptive to paying up for accurately graded slabbed coins from the big 3 (I guess big 4 now).

• knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2024 1:27AM

With all the counterfeits finding their way into the market place I will only buy slabbed coins now, so if my local coin shops don’t have what I’m looking for slabbed, then I’m not buying. Too easy to get ripped off any more. I used to buy Mercanti, Moy, Ryder, Cleveland, and a few other signatures but they have flooded the market so the signatures don’t mean anything other than overpaying for an autograph everyone can get.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

I asked one coin shop owner if he had any slabbed US gold coins and he told me that any slabbed gold coins that he buys is wholesaled to another dealer. I guess he can't sell them to the walk-in buyers he normally gets. I never went back to that shop.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

@fcloud said:
    Darktone,

Tony

21 years, but you got a win yesterday.

B)

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PeakRarities said:

@Cougar1978 said:
    Here in Cali shops near me slabs rule the day. However one has like a junk tub of raw collector coins in2x2. Quite a few foreign. Load up there when stuff low.

Cougar, Im just trying to play the tape out in my head as to how this happens so frequently. How do you find these threads, and do you realize theyre 20 years old?

And this one is particularly problematic as the market penetration if slabs is very different in 2024 than 2003. Nothing said in this thread is likely true anymore.

edited September 16, 2024 4:37AM

@PerryHall said:
    I asked one coin shop owner if he had any slabbed US gold coins and he told me that any slabbed gold coins that he buys is wholesaled to another dealer. I guess he can't sell them to the walk-in buyers he normally gets. I never went back to that shop.

It's a liquidity issue. You only make $50 to $100 an ounce on gold. Gold at $2500 can easily make a $50 swing over a couple days. You have to lock in your 3% profit when you can and slabbed gold allows you to do it.

If I buy a slabbed gold deal, it's sold on the phone within the hour. Unless it is something special which 99+% of the time it isn't.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

We have some local shops here which have very few certified coins on display. They generally sell low priced coins. For many collectors, a $100 to $300 coin is a big purchase. The upper limit of that range is the starting point where values need to be to make the cost of slabbing viable.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@knovak1976 said:
    With all the counterfeits finding their way into the market place I will only buy slabbed coins now, ...

Of course, the criminals have adapted, so now there are counterfeit slabs as well.

• willywilly Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wisconsin dealers still have a majority of raw coins when you go to local shows.

@willy said:
    Wisconsin dealers still have a majority of raw coins when you go to local shows.

Most dealers have a majority of raw coins because the vast majority of coins are raw.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

My customers buy them raw and submit them. I might shun them returning to me trying to sell back for multiples of what I charged them initially :blush:

However time changes a lot of things and this thread was begun nearly a quarter century ago.

HE>I

• knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2024 7:43AM

@yosclimber said:

@knovak1976 said:
    With all the counterfeits finding their way into the market place I will only buy slabbed coins now, ...

Of course, the criminals have adapted, so now there are counterfeit slabs as well.

True, but much easier to identify the counterfeits since you can cross check the numbers. And now many slabs now are being made with a chip in them too for identification.

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

@knovak1976 said:

@yosclimber said:

@knovak1976 said:

True, but much easier to identify the counterfeits since you can cross check the numbers. And now many slabs now are being made with a chip in them too for identification.

The chips are effective but also disturbing. Hobby was easier with the raw coins. Even if they had a few thumbprints.

• ms71ms71 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh well, I read this thread from the top, not realizing it was a resurrected sleeper. Guess I need to pay better attention.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sheesh.....

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2024 9:12PM

@knovak1976 said:

@yosclimber said:

@knovak1976 said:

Many of the counterfeit slabs have valid Cert numbers, and often the coin does not have a TrueView to check against.
    For high grade moderns, the TrueView does not help, of course.

Some of the earlier counterfeit labels were copied using non-matching PCGS Coin numbers, and those are easy to spot.

It's true the slabs with RFID chips will be harder to counterfeit.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms71 said:
    Oh well, I read this thread from the top, not realizing it was a resurrected sleeper. Guess I need to pay better attention.

It is definitely inconsiderate when a poster resurrects a thread and fails to mention its age in the new post. Bad form.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file