Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Most Damaged Coin EVER in an ANACS slab... back from ANACS with Pictures!!!

airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
Alright, so I was a little shocked that this coin came back with a net grade... but what can I say? I'm not a grader...

A run-through of the damage in detail:

CORRODED- actually, i didn't do that... must be from the big fire i placed the coin in to AT it...
HOLED- Nail + hammer + many bangs
DAMAGED- uhh... duh?
TOOLED- The lines on the shiled are sharp as ever
GRAFFITI- I signed the coin... it says "JK '03"
BENT- Pliers and some fun

Jeremy

Oh- and the coin is also, not noted, AT, Cleaned (how I got it), Scratched, Rim Damage
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    Did you not have access to a blowtorch?

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I shouldn't worry about ANACS BB'ing any of my coins.

Ken
  • Nice slab.image

Cameron Kiefer
  • Holy Crap! image
  • Jeremy can't wait to sell it to me.

Cameron Kiefer
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    "Buy the holder". But, if you do, throw away the coin, before it gets worse. image
  • This holder should have the barcode on the front, but they took it out to make room for the descriptions.

Cameron Kiefer
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Did you not have access to a blowtorch? >>

Just a little lighter for a BBQ image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

<< <i>This holder should have the barcode on the front, but they took it out to make room for the descriptions. >>

Very true... again, thank you to ANACS for that (although I'm still pissed about the others)
  • But... now LordMarcovan can't put it on his vest!

<< <i>But... now LordMarcovan can't put it on his vest!
    image >>

Hole is modern...
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See if you can crossit and sell it to Braddick - great coin...congrats.image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

<< <i>See if you can crossit and sell it to Braddick - great coin...congrats.image >>

Doesn't he only want wear?
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>See if you can crossit and sell it to Braddick - great coin...congrats.image >>

Actually, I like this one! ANACS does it different than PCI. I have a 1799 Bust Dollar with FN15 details but... with a ton of problems (although, NO holes and it hasn't been cleaned!). PCI denoted on the insert: "Mutilated". That about covers it!

Neat coin Jeremy. I hope it slightly makes up for your other submission with the Kennedy and colorful Lincoln proof.

peacockcoins

<< <i>

Actually, I like this one! ANACS does it different than PCI. I have a 1799 Bust Dollar with FN15 details but... with a ton of problems (although, NO holes and it hasn't been cleaned!). PCI denoted on the insert: "Mutilated". That about covers it!

Neat coin Jeremy. I hope it slightly makes up for your other submission with the Kennedy and colorful Lincoln proof. >>

Well, normally, they would have (I think). I talked to one of the graders at the ANA Seminar and he agreed to help me have this done... I do thank him very much for it, and am quite happy with it.

It, however, was expected as it came... the others were all blows image
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    How many more adjectives could they have used if there were more room?
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat idea and great parody for the grading services.
  • Im sure theres people out there that think its okay to slab coins like this, but moderns are a waste of money!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • They also probably wish ANACS slabs were bigger so they can include more negative comments! I dont get it!

<< <i>How many more adjectives could they have used if there were more room? >>

Actually, the only way they let me down was when I asked them to abbreviate so there'd be room for more image

See the bottom of post #1 for the answer to how many more.
  • Looks like a setup. Did you do a bunch of the damage yourself? The scratches, the hole all look recent.

<< <i>Looks like a setup. Did you do a bunch of the damage yourself? The scratches, the hole all look recent. >>

I bought the coin cleaned (I felt bad about damaging a perfectly good coin... especially when I was looking for a good one for my type set! image)
  • Look out, Im sure somone will call it a DEATH COIN, the guy got hit by a bus while wearing it around his neck!
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Is it just me, or does that coin look a little bit like the 'liquid metal' terminator in Terminator 2 right after Sarah Connor unloads on him with the shotgun from close range?
  • That`s a beut!!! imageimageimageimageimage They forgot to add mold and burnt.imageimage
  • I would have simply labeled the slab as "RFU"

Royally F-d up!

I have an 09-s vdb that returned FR02 Corroded, Damaged, Tooled & Cleaned.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would have simply labeled the slab as "RFU" Royally F-d up! I have an 09-s vdb that returned FR02 Corroded, Damaged, Tooled & Cleaned. >>

Brian, I have an 09-S VDB too that is PO01 "Severely Damaged" on the ANACS insert! It was offered by Heritage (and their auction LINKED here so I'd see it). It's one of my favorite coins because the damage- looks like it was partically placed on a R/R track- is old and the wear is over the damage giving the Lincoln a very disturbing appeal.

peacockcoins

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have graded it net Fr-2. Maybe you should ask for a Presidential Review.

<< <i>I would have graded it net Fr-2. Maybe you should ask for a Presidential Review. >>

Actually, I asked them if, before it was holdered, someone would, with a pen, write a " - " before the 1 since it was so damaged image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage

I LOVE IT!!!

Psst! I'll give ya a $10 trade for it! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • So, Jeremy--what do you do in your spare time? I've always wondered about putting together a "World's Worst type set"... your coin would probably fit right in.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!

<< <i>So, Jeremy--what do you do in your spare time? I've always wondered about putting together a "World's Worst type set"... your coin would probably fit right in. >>

Actually, this was just a short term project.

In my spare time, I enjoy long walks on the beach, watching the sunset...

• BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In my spare time, I enjoy long walks on the beach, watching the sunset... >>

Sounds like you've been reading too many want-ads in the personals image
  • $10? This slab is at least worth $30 without ever considering the coin inside.image

Cameron Kiefer

<< <i>$10? This slab is at least worth $30 without ever considering the coin inside.image >>

Cameron... considering the... coin???image

Besides, I've already been offered more than $30 image

I don't know who its final owner will be image I've grown so attached ever since I spent those countless blows with the hammer...
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i luv it!

K S

<< <i>i luv it!

K S >>

Karl loves a slab!!!!!!!!! image
    DOH!!!

K S
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...........and i couldn't resist a reply on this one!! shame, shame, shame on you ANACS. i took my c'stamped Clevelands to the ANACS table in Baltimore and while the gentleman who examined them thought they were very nice, he added that ANACS wouldn't holder them because they consider them DAMAGED. ROTFLMAO!!!!image

a quick walk over to the NGC table and a few weeks later results in two graded coins, MS66 and MS63, with a notation on the holders. i think ANACS blew this one and missed an oppurtunity to encapsulate/authenticate some Numismatic History. but hey, they must have been too busy taking care of Jeremy's gem. go figure.

al h.image
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that this piece would have received a "BS-1" from Dr. Sheldon on his scale. That was reserved for very heavily worn pieces with no damage.

Still this is a great conversation piece. It's hard to conceive of a worse coin in a slab.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    well??? isn't someone going to mention acg in response to billjones comment?

K S
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Send it to Stockton to see what he can do with it. image
  • I guess you didn't notice that it is the very valuable JER-8FD.453K variety Bust Dime before you went at it with your implements of death. image
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com

<< <i>I guess you didn't notice that it is the very valuable JER-8FD.453K variety Bust Dime before you went at it with your implements of death. image >>

Actually, I always wondered what I would do if that happened... but then I decided what I dont know won't hurt me image
  • MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    thats why I like ANACS they slab and net grade. you get what you pay for not a flip with a blue sticker on it.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    I don’t like the fact that you pretty much destroyed a “perfectly” good coin. But I have to admit, I had a good laugh when looking at your slab. image

You’ve created a true collectors item.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

<< <i>I don’t like the fact that you pretty much destroyed a “perfectly” good coin. But I have to admit, I had a good laugh when looking at your slab. image

You’ve created a true collectors item. >>

Shamika, the coin was not perfectly good- it was the most harshly cleaned coin I've ever seen... I refused any coin that wasn't damaged to begin with- it is black not from natural toning, but from the soot from a fire... the date was covered, and is white as a dipped mint-state.

Jeremy
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are you wasting good money slabbing something like this?
    All glory is fleeting.

<< <i>Why are you wasting good money slabbing something like this? >>

I'm not wasting money... I like it, so therefore, I didn't waste a cent.
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    It just go to show, you need to know which company to send coins if you want them in a holder.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file