Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

We dump on Statehhod Quarters......,,but are you a closet collector?

I was wondering the other day,as I was reading a Forum member's opinion on the popularity of the Statehood Quarter series,just how many of us collectors of the Statehood Quarters there really are out here in Forum Land. Do the purest of the pure, secretly,in the privacy of their own homes,actually OWN a Proof or an uncirculated Statehood,which they themselves purchased from the Mint? Do you patiently await the release of the U.S Mint's annual Proof and Silver Proof sets? And when that plain brown box arrives from the Mint do you rip it open with unabashed enthusiasm as if it were an 1861S Paquet Double Eagle? I am what the majority of us collectors may call "a collector of modern issues." I like the shinies! While my collection has grown to include some "older" items,I find myself being drawn to the coins of the 60s (thats the 1960s!), up to and including,the 2003 sets. Give me a PR70DCAM West Point Commemorative,a nice set of 69 1999 Silver Quarters, a PR70DCAM Kennedy Proof,or any high quality Proof in a piece of PCGS plastic any day! Not that I don't enjoy my Morgans,Standing Liberty Quarters, or the beauty of a Saint-Gaudens. They all have a great history,and a fabulous future. But,try as I may to get overly involved in another series,I always find myself returning to my State Quarters!
SO,I am wondering: to what extent do some of you collect the Statehoods? Do you collect only the annual sets,or do you like them in slabs? Proofs, or Uncirculated,or both! Are you happy with a PR69DCAM,or do you submit for the elusive(but not quite as rare as they used to be!) 70?
Also,do you talk about your Statehood plastics,or simply gaze at the floor,kind of lower your shoulders,and wait for the conversation to change to talk of "real" coins?

I just know that there must be more of us collectors of States out here!!!
Whatever you collect,it is obvious from the Forum,that our hobby(or trade),is here to stay!!!!! Got to run now.Have to shave and shower before I watch Boston send Texas packing!!

Enjoy them coins,Zebra.image
"so precious life is! even to the old the hours are as a miser's coins!"
Thomas Aldrich

Comments

• Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    I confess. I have the complete roll set - subscription from the mint.

Full set of PCGS PR69DCAM Clad & Silver
    Full set of PCGS MS66

Flame away boys.....I can take it.

Oh, I also have complete set of Modern Commem Dollars
  • Options
    I admit it! I own all the statehood quarters out so far. Not because they're valuable but because they're the cheapest set to put together, just pluck 'em out of circulation.

Sincerely though, yes, I do have the proofs to date.
  • Options
    I have all the silver proofs still in the mint encapsulation...Ken
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I have a set of clad and silver proofs in PCGS PR69DCAM holders.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options

<< <i>Oh, I also have complete set of Modern Commem Dollars >>

Even a <<shudder>> Shriver image
  • Options
    I only have a couple in slabs but i heckofalotmore in folders.
  • Options
    I have never dumped on SQ's I mean theres no reason for that. They are still worth 25c what a waste!
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

image I even have a PCGS Statehood Quarter Registry Set image

And actually, they are stored in my closet (they aren't safe worthy). With the exception of 99, I buy 'em from the Mint and slab 'em.
    I even buy extra for the nice people on eBay. (Well actually they are attempts at making 70's, but the nice people on eBay get them cheap).

My personal preference would be to only do the Silver ones, but the Registry tells me I must also have a clad set slabbed, so I may re-think my SHQ plan in the coming years. That's $1200 in fees for PCGS over 10 years (or more as they raise their rates).

Hmmm...I'll be spending $1200 with PCGS to slab $259.50 worth of coins. image Hopefully I'll be smart enough to keep them raw in the upcoming years and abandon my dream of making a 70
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure I hear anyone dump of collectors of Statehood quarters out of change or in Mint/Proof sets. I will have to go back and look for these threads.

I have all the proof and mint sets, including the ones before the state quarters. Also have a set in PCGS MS66, not because they are valuable, but because they are not. I do not and would not ever want a set of high grade/high cost examples. That would be a waste of time and money on my part.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    psxchellypsxchelly Posts: 568 ✭✭
    ihave the complete collection, BUT only a 1999 silver set in pcgs plastic. I decided that the value went up enough to get them slabbed.

michelle
  • Options
    No closet collector here. I see no reason to keep it a secret. image I have a circ set in a folder I bought at the dollar store. My son has a circ set in one of those maps and I have a set taken from Mint Sets in my regular collection.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    I'll save any statehood $.25's that look MS67. So far, I have about 10 that I've found from new rolls that are solid 67's. Otherwise, I don't collect them by date and mint mark. I also pull MS67FS Jefferson nickels from new rolls if I can find them. IMO, the Jeffersons are even tougher than the statehood quarters to find in 67.
  • Options
    I collect them no secret here.
    Stacy

Sleep well tonight for the 82nd Airborne Division is on point for the nation.
    AIRBORNE!
  • Options
    I got a free SHQ album with some book purchase and I'm trying to get my wife to collect them. It's really the only coin she likes -- according to her, they all look different at least.

I figure I can keep her busy at shows and maybe, just maybe she'll be a little more tolerant of my hobby. image

Michael
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy a set of the silver proof sets each year for my niece and nephew. I don't collect them myself.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    No, I don't collect closets.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an album of UNCs, as well as three of each kind on my dresser... the only slabbed ones are in sample slabs.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Sample slabs. Oh no not you to!
  • Options
    I collect them, but not in the closet. I collect them openly for all to see. image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Proof silver and clad in state holders PR69DCAM. Even though, I pay more than the coins are worth, it is a fun set to collect. I just update as they come out. Also, I have a full proof set in which I purchased from the mint as coins come out (both clad and silver sets).

Pick on me--I don't care-- this is a case of buy the plastic, not the coin, and I don't care!

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeesh. Next time it's someone else's turn to defend this junkimage
    You all seem to have more of it than I do. All I have is a set from
    circulation and maybe twenty gems from circulation. Also have
    five mint sets from each year except '03.

Oh, and a buddy gave me a choice gem CT. -unslabbed.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    RBB617RBB617 Posts: 497 ✭✭
    I collect the SHQs and don't mind admitting it. When I got out of collecting at the ripe old age of 13 (1982) "variety" from the Mint was the SBA, so, to me this is a quantam leap. Because of their mintage and popularity, I'll probably never get rich from them, but they are a part of US history, which is a big part of why I enjoy the hobby.
    Brian
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Wow. I'm sort of a loner I guess, but I have an Intercept Shield album with one of everything issued to date clad, proof, and silver, and one solitary roll of SC (my birthplace). I love collecting them that way, and do look forward to the new issues.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    I buy a mint set and clad proof set every year. I just don't want to be left out!! image
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I got my nephew a map with holes for each state quarter. It's fun for him, fun for me to give him one he doesn't have.
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭

<< <i>closet collector >>

I like that! No I am a Proud state quarter collector. I buy as may home state quarters I have room for raw rolls, proof set, proof quarter set, PCGSpf69 and I'm looking for the ms or pf 70 Maine quarter in any plasic. if it wasn't for state quarters I'ld still be collecting cirulate coins in a cedar cigar box and coffee can.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    How could a real, old-time, collect from circulation coin person not get a rush from the State Quarter
    program? Sure some people take it too much of an extreme but it's the most exciting thing done to
    our coinage in many years.

I like finding 'em in circulation. I like buying the silver and proof sets. I like the whole idea.

-KHayse
  • Options
    The only staehood quarters I collecet are in the proof sets I buy each year.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect state quarters as part of the annual Proof sets. I collect both the copper-nickel clad and the silver Proof sets. I really like the 90% silver sets and look forward to the time when they are issued every year. My wife, who is not a collector, is maintaining a type set of state quarters in a Whitman style album. All of those pieces come from circulation.

I would never spend the money to have a state quarter slabbed for my personal collection, nor would I spend the money to buy a state quarter in a slab. I'd sooner spend my money on something more interesting.

If someone handed me a want list as part of my business, I would work on a slabbed state quarter collection for them if they were reliable customers. But I would warn them ahead of time that such purchases are just for fun and not for an investment.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm waiting twenty years so as to buy them Monster Toned!! on eBay.

peacockcoins

• Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    A 100 coin bag of each for the real long term, and the silver proofs for the eyes.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect them. If I don't then I won't have a complete set of U.S. Quarters!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Tied for #12 - still no 70's once was tied for fourth

25c Set

• Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm waiting twenty years so as to buy them Monster Toned!! on eBay. >>

People will be toning them long before that, if they aren't already.
  • Options
    SDCollectorSDCollector Posts: 886 ✭✭
    I buy a clad proof set each year from the U.S mint and uncirculated P & D's from my local coin shop. The uncirculated coins go in my Dansco album...they're a nice conversation piece. SHQ's got me back into collecting so they'll always hold a special place for me.
    Bill
  • Options
    nuckleheadnucklehead Posts: 1,500
    Just the silver and clad proof sets from each year plus the unc.mint sets and that about does it for me as well.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    I find um, my wife gets um [for 25 cents a coin, of course I did spend 15 bucks for a nice sttehod quarter albulm.
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    izzy452izzy452 Posts: 929
    I have clad proof and the silver proof and the P &D's in uncurculated. None are slabed. If they turn out to be worth anything
    I will have them slabed and give them to the grandkids.

Walt
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a few album sets that I take/get from new bank wrapped rolls. I don't search for errors nor do I pick over rolls looking for the best ones. I have been getting 3 P&D mint sets for the SQ years as well as 5 clad and silver proof sets for each year, mostly on the chance they will go up in value; which it seems like most of them have. I do have 4 or 5 of the nice no problem 99 silver sets. Depending on what the future holds I mite sell most of them at flee markets or garage sales when I retire.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    My wife buys proof sets every year from the Mint. My daughter saves the best quarters from circulation. I actually really like many of the designs very much. Horses, Sail Boats, Flowers, the Old Man on the Mountain and so forth are all much more interesting than that old, tired Eagle image
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    Have one map, three books for MS, 1 book is proof clad and 1 book proof silver. Yes, I broke the sets open to fill the books and interested in how they will tone over the years versus the slab or original holder from the mint.
    As cherrypickincoin stated, they are an inexpensive set to complete. My 5 and 3 year old love looking through the books at the reverses and even go through pocket change to tell me what state the quarter represents.
    The news about a drop in mint production doesn't bother me about the demand for collections, it's just that how many billion quarters do you actually need in circulation. The people who have started the sets are not going to stop and any fear tactics or reports are idle at best for a writer to fill a slot in a publication! Some news is better than no news, it just depends on how you want to interpet it!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have collected state quarters with my kids from the start of the program, never spent more than 25 cents for one. We are closet collectors, we keep them in our closets.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    I buy the silver proof sets each year--and I have a circulated PD set in a folder that I'm working on--still lack the last five Phillys, which are hard to find in change here in Central Texas--but that's what makes it fun! A few SQs are very well designed and attractive--and several are real dogs--but we've got another 25 to go.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Mint sets, proof sets, and recently silver sets. My son is filling a Dansco album with circulated SHQ. A question for those of you who buy the proof sets-my 1999 proof set has toned a lovely gold in the fields- all raised devices are still white-has anyone else experienced this.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I put back two D rolls of each as they come out. I'm hopeful that once the 10 years is up, I'll be able to find someone on the east side of the river that'll swap a roll set of P mints for a roll set of D mints. ...well, I can hope, cant I?

The only one in platic that I have is the one I got "free" from PCGS when I joined the PCGS Collector's club.

David
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>closet collector >>

I like that! No I am a Proud state quarter collector. I buy as may home state quarters I have room for raw rolls, proof set, proof quarter set, PCGSpf69 and I'm looking for the ms or pf 70 Maine quarter in any plasic. if it wasn't for state quarters I'ld still be collecting cirulate coins in a cedar cigar box and coffee can.
    . >>

MacCoin,sounds like we are on the same wavelength! I also collect the PCGS PR69DCAMs in Clad and Silver Proof; so far I have only managed 1 PR70DCAM.(Illinois). I also buy the 100 coin bags and Mint rolls for each state. Probably not a wise investment idea,but I do enjoy the collecting. PR69DCAM Delaware Silvers seem to find their way to my home also.

Thanks to all for sharing their State Quarter collecting habits with us!

Enjoy them coins,Zebra. image
    "so precious life is! even to the old the hours are as a miser's coins!"
    Thomas Aldrich

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file