Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can I safely buy coins from board members?

Except for occasional trolls that have been booted off, I am assuming that all you guys and gals on this forum are decent, honest people, that I can trust to buy coins from. Am I right? Comments please.

Russ? Lucy? Dog97? MadMarty? jbsteven? jadecoin? Legend? coinguy1? anaconda? tonekiller? mdwoods? MrEureka? TDN? Who did I leave out?image

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I've dealt with numerous members including finallyhere, jbstevens, mbbiker, rkfish, pqpeace, Lori, and many others. Every transaction has been smooth and worked well.
  • Options
    All those people and many more. I have never had a problem with any deals done over the message board.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Last week alone I purchased about $600 worth of stuff with no problem.

• Options
    this is the best place to buy and sell. You will always be satisfied and find everyone fair, honest and helpful. I have bought and sold here and built a few casual friendships as a result. This is probably the last group you would have to worry about trusting.
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    Intra-forum business tends to go well.

Lots and lots of wonderful folks are here with whom to do trades, sales, and purchases.
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    ER, I have dealt with with many members. I have never had any problems at all. I prefer to buy my coins from board members, be they dealers, or collectors. mdwoods

National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    I second Sarasota Frank.....

I've dealt with him and a few others, and all transactions have been exceptionally good !!!
  • Options
    I've bought here. No problems at all.....Ken
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I've bought from many board members and nary a problem with anyone. I've even sold coins to folks here. Generally very easy to do business.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I've never had a problem. If you are uneasy, you can ask for references from other board members.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to add my positive feedback to this list.

Just about every transaction I've made with board members in the last couple years has been smooth and trouble free. A number of members have sent coins to me, just on my statement that I'd like to buy them.

Heck, I once expressed interest in a coin, and found it in my mailbox a couple days later with a note telling me to just send something of equivolent value! I had still been waiting for a response! LOL!
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Just as I thought, good folks here.

Follow-up question: What about people on the BST forum whom I never see venture to this forum? Are they OK too?
  • Options
    I only wish i could talk a few board members into parting with some of those oustanding barbers i saw posted a few days ago.

The 1892 half and the 1910 dime on that post have "the look"
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    I've bought coins from Ira Stein, Irv Reichel, Bill White, David Sullivan, and probably many others I didn't know were members. I have sold coins to Dennis Menn, David Sullivan. Never had a problem! image
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    Russ? Lucy? Dog97? MadMarty? jbsteven? jadecoin? Legend? coinguy1? anaconda? tonekiller? mdwoods? MrEureka? TDN? Who did I leave out?

I can speak for jbsteven, coinguy1, anaconda, MrEureka, Julian, mnmcoins and kieferscoins. All are good guys and very trustworthy. And for patterns, there's a guy who goes by RKKay.imageimage
  • Options
    Have had a few transactions on B/S/T forum and all has gone well so far

Also, my experiences swapping coins on the Coin Swaps forum have been great as well
  • Options
    If I could just talk jbsteven down from those outrageous prices image

Seriously though...he's a real pro.
  • Options
    I would rather buy from people on these boards than anywhere else.
  • Options
    Never had a problem with anyone on these boards, I even did o-kay buying from one of the "trolls" that is long since gone I think ( LW ). Got a nice coin from him for allot less then what there going for nowimage

Forgot to list two of the best sellers I have done business with --- Bcsican and RJB both have added allot to my Kennedy Set. THANKS
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's almost impossible to NOT have a smooth transaction with a fellow board member. Could you imagine the reprecussions of a deal gone bad? Oh boy, there would be hell to pay on the forums.

Seth
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    BIG TIME!!image
  • Options
    If it would make you feel better, why not look at the number of post the member has had...Kind of like eBay feedback, but more of a "Collectors Universe Feedback"..A person that has been on the board and has a ton of posts, I would say is a safe bet.....

• Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    Russ? Lucy? Dog97? MadMarty? jbsteven? jadecoin? Legend? coinguy1? anaconda? tonekiller? mdwoods? MrEureka? TDN? Who did I leave out?

oh maybe 1,000 other members.

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options

<< <i>If it would make you feel better, why not look at the number of post the member has had...Kind of like eBay feedback, but more of a "Collectors Universe Feedback"..A person that has been on the board and has a ton of posts, I would say is a safe bet..... >>

What amount of posts would that be?
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    Follow-up question: What about people on the BST forum whom I never see venture to this forum? Are they OK too?

I try to do business with people who actually post to the board rather than only use it as a sales platform - I've never had a problem.

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    nuckleheadnucklehead Posts: 1,500
    I've bought many coins from our fellow board member Strat and have been treated very well each time.No ripoffs whatsoever,two thumbs up!imageimage
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Every deal I've had with board members has gone fine, no problems at all. As a matter of fact I have made some very good coin friends from just talking and PM'ing board members here. A very high class of people hang here. TD
  • Options
    Are you kidding??!! The only members of this forum who AREN'T crooks are the remaining 50% who lack
    the brains or the ambition to even BECOME a crook!!

** Note: The above statement was not written to offend, but rather to foster a healthy sense of
    community through open and constructive dialogue that will hopefully
    strengthen and enrich us a collective body with the common goal of the
    pursuit of numismatic enjoyment.
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    To all the member who mentioned my name with kind words, Thank you. I pride myself on getting quality coins at fair prices with great service.

I have had dealings with many board members and not a single problem at all!

Paigow:

you have earned a deep discount on your next purchase because of the great brown nosing you have done! image Pm me for details.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll leave out everyone 'cus I don't remember, but I've never had a bad experience here... the sellers are great!

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

If things go wrong you can always post here and get 100 replies
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never had any problems.

John
  • Options
    I would preferably buy from those on the board but how can we tell what names they go under, for instance in Ebay?

John

Enjoy the day.........
  • Options
    Didn't someone have a spreadsheet going a while back with the corresponding Ebay Id's? In some cases, the names/handles are the same! All good people here. You should feel safe....
    K

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
    moments that take our breath away.
  • Options
    Jeremy, just to let you know, my wife loves the coins she won from your charity auction. And we both think collectors like you are the future of this hobby. Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    I think so I have never had a Problem, Senior Chief U.S. Navy Sends.
  • Options
    Would like to get that listing Kim speaks of..............

John

Enjoy the day.........
  • Options

<< If it would make you feel better, why not look at the number of post the member has had...Kind of like eBay feedback, but more of a "Collectors Universe Feedback"..A person that has been on the board and has a ton of posts, I would say is a safe bet..... >>

<<What amount of posts would that be? >>

Good question...Each member would have to make his on comfort number..A lot like eBay.. I try to buy from people on eBay with at least 100 feedback and 0 negatives. But that is just me...

• Options
    RGTRGT Posts: 508 ✭✭

<< <i>If it would make you feel better, why not look at the number of post the member has had...Kind of like eBay feedback, but more of a "Collectors Universe Feedback"..A person that has been on the board and has a ton of posts, I would say is a safe bet..... >>

But watch out for those with, say, less than 100. We all know honest people are much more talkative. image

I've done business through ebay with keithdagen, anaconda and stujoe in the last few months and with Ira Stein a few years back. No problems at all. Hopefully I can manage to do business with a few more from this forum in the future.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
  • Options
    I too have no complaints with any of the forum members here. I go to the BST forum and tell what I need and generally get someone with what I need. I've even made deals with people and then found out we live near each other or have mutual friends. I prefer to deal here over ebay.
    Glock: the original point and click interface.
    The Second Amendment is in place in case they ignore the others.
    Guns have only two enemies, rust and liberals.
    Criminals love gun control, it makes their profession safer.
    If guns are outlawed can we use swords?
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone
  • Options
    I like to buy, sell and trade here.. much friendlier and quicker.

My ebay ID is in my signature.

regards,

Maurice
    Maurice
    Lurking with intent to loom
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    ER
    I have both bought and sold coins to members.I've only had one bad experience in over (2) years.I'd say most here will say the same.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    ccrccr Posts: 2,446
    Tonelover - dealt with him for the first time this week from one of his websites. I`m refering to this site of his Rare Coins of New Hampshire

I`ve dealt with FC57Coins once recently. Got an ANACS MS64 1955 " Bugs Bunny " and this raw Franklin from him too.
    imageimage
  • Options
    ccrccr Posts: 2,446
    Before I forget, and I`m sure I`m forgetting a few more then I`m listing, are these sites. The owners only post here once in a blue moon and they sell good quality coins and very trustworty places. As well as what everyone has listed so far.

David Lawerence

R & I Coins
  • Options
    GeomanGeoman Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭
    Yep, I agree with everyone. Even though I have only bought 4 coins from 4 separate people, and never old anything yet, I have had great experiences here. My feeling is there is a lot less risk here, then say on eBay, etc.
  • Options
    Thanks Fats

John

Enjoy the day.........
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've bought from a few board members via e-bay, they just don't know it because my e-bay id is something completely different. In any case, those were some of the easiest e-bay transactions ever (though I'm not too clear on what Russ' policy is about credit cards image

I actually seek out board member's auctions when possible, I find their postings here alot more reassuring as to their ethics and business practices than alot of the ebay feedback out there.

• Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    I have had several transactions and never even had a whiff of a problem, including one great forum member shipping coins before a $1,000 check even had cleared!
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    I've bought coins from Anaconda and jbstevens, as a matter of fact the Morgan I bought from him (jbs) arrived today. Both went smoothly. Thanks to both.image

Oh yeah !! Almost forgot Russ. Those Slab Caddies are great. image
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file