Home U.S. Coin Forum

Who is the greatest coin collector you've ever met?

SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
For me, its John Jay Pittman, this man shared his incredible mind with everyone......and he had the coins to back it up and educate by example. Did anyone have any meetings with him?
Collecting since 1976.

Comments

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Just the one I see every day. 'Cause I haven't met many collectors!
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two candidates:

John Ford
    Bill Anton

Yes, I met JJP. He was very good and tremendously devoted to the hobby.

If I could include people I didn't meet, I'd vote for the Norwebs, Garrett, Woodin and Clapp. Of course, there would be more if I thought about it for a few more seconds...
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Uncle Sam, he has a lot of my coins!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Seriously, my father, he has a collection to die for. He started collecting high quality coins since he was about 19, talk about a Carson City Collection!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • I'd have to say TDN. image
    may the force be with you.

rob.
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    I never had the chance to meet him but I'll mention someone who hasn't been suggested yet, Harry Bass, a truly great collector currently spinning in his grave.
  • ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    C'mon Russ, you have to put a winky after that one!

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Well, I haven't met many yet.image

Russ, NCNE
  • RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    David Bowers and he was nice enough to autograph a book for me...
  • I would say Mr. Eureka (Andy Lustig). He has given me the coolest stuff, and just smiles when I talk about slabs - when everyone else gets on their soapbox about companies.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Didn't really meet him but I've seen Dwight Manley, I was even at the coin show the day he bought the 1913 Liberty nickel. Although he wasn't actually there during that auction, he was at a basketball game watching some of his clients play from what I understand.
  • TonekillerTonekiller Posts: 1,308 ✭✭
    I would have to say that an older man name Bryan Sonnier. Great eye and willing to teach and learn at the same time.

TBT
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Norwebs; certainly the greatest husband and wife collecting team ever and parents and son team as well!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • rwhiterwhite Posts: 326
    Jack Lee and Gregg Bingham (NFL Coll of Morgans)
    -Ryan-
  • STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Striker - Dwight Manly is NOT a collector.Wake Up

My favorite collector is Anthony (Big Boy) Terranova.Noone knows what he has stored away in his hiding places.

The Don Partrik aka Donald Groves has probably one of the best collections in existence.His star attraction is a gem uncirculated Brasher Dubloon.He is also president of the ANS (American Numismatic Society)

I also met John Ford at the ANA in Georgia.Now he is a collectors collector.

Myself - Stewart Blay
  • Ford, Anton, Bass, Pittman were all great collectors.

Added to the list is Eric P. Newman of St. Louis and very possibly, the most enthusiastic collector that I ever had as a client is Rogers M. Fred, Jr. of Va.

The key to a great collection is the collector's enthusiasm. All of the gentlemen listed have that one shared quality.

There are other collectors, currently, that share the enthusiasm quality, but as a businessman, I am hesitant to share their names and confidences.
    PNG member, same identity as Julian, a veteran numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.

I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

myurl
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coins I collect are my favorite...so that would be me! Seriously, seems that the great collectors were men of great means. The will with the means is a formula for greatness.

Who is the greatest collector with an annual income of $50 K or less? Probably some 90 year old from kansas that has been putting away nice coins for the last 70 years.

Tyler
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe Pittman never made more than $50K a year as a collector until after his collection was substantially complete.

Arco: he is your man.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    For me it is my 7 year old Grandson. That little mind just loves learning about Coins and there History.

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    You mean my 7 year old Nephew Dominic! He's a Hepcat!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • The greatest collector I knew was my father. Nothing incredible in the collection, nothing expensive, mostly common date coins in g-xf (with a couple of exceptions - 1924-S $1 in an MS 64-65, and an 1887-S half-eagle in MS-63), but when he died, he left them for me, and I have added to the number greatly. If it were not for him doing so, I would have never gotten into this hobby.
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Thanks JML, I had forgotten about Eric Newman. A fine man and a great collector even though there are a few things we do not see eye to eye on. image
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have to agree with John J. Pitman. He was always friendly and accesssable. Eric Newman was great too the one time that I met him.

And I'd add the late Herb Silberman and Roger Cohen to the list. Herb was one of the founders of EAC, and Roger wrote the first modern version of the half cent die variety book. Roger was the most down to earth guy you ever want to meet. Both Herb and Roger are sorely missed.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Okay, TBT, I'll bite. Who put you up to listing Bryan Sonnier? He does have a great eye, and some incredible coins. In fact I hope he brings them all to the ANA this summer. image
    I regret that I never got to meet John J. Pittman, I've heard some great stories about him. I briefly met Jack Lee in Baltimore a few weeks ago, at a small party being hosted by Dr. Dave Latrenta, who I consider to be the greatest collector I have ever met. He had a super collection of commemoratives, US type and even some ancients.
    No good deed goes unpunished
  • LegendLegend Posts: 336
    Three of the greatest collectors I have ever met are:

Legends own TDN: I have NEVER seen a collector with as much passion for coins-especially for a single series. He lives and breaths Trade Dollars.

Cardnial: He LOVES his Bust Dollars. His work to educate people on them deserves the highest numismatic award!

John Doe: There are many smaller collectors out there I've met for whom the thrill of just holding a great coin makes their day. They love coins as much as as any big boy/girl. If they could live their lives in at a coin show-they would! I've seen collectors like them just cherish every coin they buy-no matter what grade, price, or holder. They prove that to be a truely GREAT COLLECTOR its not about how big or expensive your collection is, its about "heart" and passion.
    Laura Sperber

JUST SAY NO TO WANNABES! They lurk and prey on unwitting collectors in chatrooms!
  • TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    I second Bryan Sonnier. He always has time for you to answere questions or whatever. He has a tremendous eye, feel for great looking coins. He has been nothing but genorous towards me with both time and friendship. Our relationship started right here on these boards and has grown from there. I consider Bryan to be one of my best friends in the coin hobby. Bryans collection of toned Morgans is a sight to behold. Easily the best there is, and I thank him for sharing with me. He invited me to work a table at FUN with him and it is something I'll always remember.

Another great collector I've met is Bill jones, I met Bill before seeing him on these boards. He took the time at a local show to talk to me and not give me the bums rush from his table because I might not be buying anything. I suspect his collection Is a sight ot behold. I have never seen it but, have heard him discuss some of his collection and I do know the kind of eye he has.
  • nuckleheadnucklehead Posts: 1,500
    All the board members that I've met over the last two years at coin shows since I joined C.U.So much knowledge from these folks and so much fun to hang with at shows it would be impossible to narrow it down to just one.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trying to fall asleep last night, it hit me that I should have mentioned Newman and Bass. (Especially Bass, since I bought so many of his patterns!) Glad to see others mentioned them before I had a chance to atone for my omission!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    very easy answers for me:

russ logan
    eric newman

coincidentally (or not), they also rank in the top-5 numismatists i've ever met

K S
  • MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You mean my 7 year old Nephew Dominic! He's a Hepcat! >>

He is the Hepist Cat going. image

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file