Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is your opinion of the toning on this Jefferson nickel?

This question was asked in the Q&A section, to which David replied...."There is a person out of Chicago who does incredible toned jobs on nickels and the color looks something like this. But he does mostly expensive Buffalo nickels. "

I wonder why he doesn't just come out and say Nick Ciancio is the great Buffalo nickel doctor he is talking about? Mr Ciancio even brags at major shows about the thousands of coins he has slid past PCGS graders over the years.
BTW he is in Niles, IL., not Chicago.

Comments

• Options
    ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    From what I understand, this particular slimeball is at the top of the hit list for the new group that just formed.

BTW, regardless of what Hall says, this doctor had nothing to do with that nickel.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    where's the nickel???

al h.image
  • Options
    Keets,

It's the one you loved and said was "PCGS MS65PQ".

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    TonekillerTonekiller Posts: 1,308 ✭✭
  • Options
    Russ---Never meant to imply or suggest that Ciancio had anything to do with the nickel pictured in the Q&A forum. Just that he is the doctor in question that Hall was referring to. Everyone needs to know who the slim balls are!!!!
  • Options
    smprfismprfi Posts: 874
    Expose them all,just don't open the trench coat.
  • Options
    hey russ

the coin you just received back as AT?? i really see nothing wrong with it myself. i just won 9 Jeffersons at a local club auction last night, 1948-S. the tone isn't as vibrant as your 1942-D but is nonetheless similar and the coins are from a members original role.

this is the second batch he's sold at our auctions. all the coins have screaming original luster, very clean mark free surfaces and appear to be the "knob S" variety. two seem likely FS but the best struck coin which is indeed FS has a contact mark under the first pillar!! incidentally, it's the only mark of significance on the coin. just like Real Estate------location, location, location!!!!image

again, you're coin appears OK to me. of course, that's a scan assessment from a guy who admittedly isn't an AT expert. nickel tones nicer than many are used to seeing.trust me on that.image

al h.image
  • Options
    Keets,

It'll be off to NGC shortly, so we'll see what they have to say about it (I'm stubborn).

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
  • Options
    Welcome to exposer!

I'm all ears.
  • Options
    hey russ

stubbornness can be an asset!! i think that jeff will look nice in the NGC white holder. and i also think it will arrive as an MS66 non-FS, unless they've tightened their collective belts over there.

al h.image
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That coin is not Nicks work. >>

Well, can you show us some of this person's work?image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with stman, SHOW US THIS COIN!
  • Options

• Options
    gsaguygsaguy Posts: 2,425
    STMAN,

If you've got a copy of the PCGS grading guide, I believe one of his best jobs is pictured as an MS69 (if I remember correctly). I understand that PCGS was mighty embarrassed to later learn they'd not only certified the coin, but had featured it in their book.

GSAGUY
  • Options
    Gsaguy thanks, I do have the book and will check it out.
  • Options
    Just found it. It's on page C-21 and is a Proof 1936.

Now, having said all that I've said, this information was provided to me by a 'major' collector who knows all the coin doctors.

GSAGUY
  • Options
    Gsaguy,

I was just going to ask you if that was the one. Reading the description PCGS attached, I'd guess they would be a bit embarrassed.image BTW, I saw that nickel featured on the dealer ID tags at a show I attended.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Good info here. I've read on the boards here people said the proof nic in the pcgs grading book was the best example they have ever seen. I like the description that says "this coin has it all."

Maybe that's why it got pulled from production? Oh, I better watch it I might get banned huh?
  • Options
    I just posted the question (about the '36 Buff) over in Q&A. This should be interesting.image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Tonekiller, you said (apparently in reference to forum member "exposer") :

"I find it hard to believe any post or exposes on coin doctors from a poster who hides their identity on the forums"

While I, too, prefer that people not hide their identities, good reasons for doing so have been noted in a number of threads on this forum. I think the more important issue is whether "exposer" is providing accurate information or not and, as of yet, I haven't seen anyone (including you) dispute his information.

Edited to add: Apparently, there was some confusion over the above post. It was not meant to confirm or dispute the accounts given by "exposer".
  • Options

While I do not approve of what he does or did with coins, I do like the man and call him a friend.

TBT >>

I suppose your last statement means that you know this man engaged in these activities. Thats what I get from your last sentence. If he has gotten coins through PCGS and then sold them for profit, that is a criminal act. Dangerous stuff.
    In an insane society, a sane person will appear to be insane.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Texas Bullion Traders—Below is a compilation of various statements you have made so far in this thread. You seem to know a lot about your “friend” for not having any of his work in your inventory or ever having sold any of his work, to your knowledge of course. I wonder why he would let you see him work on coins if you weren’t buying any of them??? After reviewing your statements here, the word hypocrite seems to come to MY mind. So don’t worry YOUR little mind as to why some post as Anon. Just worry about what YOU do, or have done. My humble opinion!

“I would recommend you getting to know Nick C. before you trash his name…..”

“While I do not approve of what he does or did with coins, I do like the man and call him a friend.”

“We do not have any of his coins nor have ever sold any to my knowledge…..just to get that out of the way (bloods in the water!). “

“They tend to be evenly blue gold’s on buffalos, Jefferson’s and IKEs. Concentric toning but very even and hard to detect. His putty work is also hard to see but it turns dark within months.”

“It’s the truth as I have seen it done at the show.”

“I have seen the coins worked on but nothing past that. The service all know but they also still accept the coins.”

• Options
  • Options
    TBT---I’ve only posted facts about Mr. Ciancio. I don’t think anyone could dispute that he IS a coin doctor, and I certainly am not the one that is confused here. Maybe you should choose your words more carefully. By calling a known doctor of coins a “friend” you put yourself in a perspective that doesn’t look too good.
    Acquaintance may have been a better word; if what you are claiming is true.
  • Options
  • Options
    TBT---It's never too late. You said what needed to be said.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    TBT and exposer - I like the way you guys handled that. It could have gotten ugly but it didn't - good job.
  • Options

<< <i>By calling a known doctor of coins a “friend” you put yourself in a perspective that doesn’t look too good. >>

Hey! I have friends who are liberals. Just because I think their philosophy is evil doesn't mean I can't be their friend.image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Mark----Things only get ugly when debates get personal rather than stay on topic. Name calling and flaming are for idiots and trolls. Intelligent people can always communicate on a level that works. I commend TBT as well.

The real point to all of this, as far as I'm concerned, is to expose those that hurt numismatics and get rid of them as quickly as possible. They are like a cancer to the industry. If left un-treated they will destroy the industry. I have no clout with anyone. I'm just a small voice. I would like to propose that the grading services make a BETTER effort not to do business with these doctors. I would also like to see the ANA, FUN, Central States and others refuse to allow these doctors to have or share tables at any shows. Cut off the head and the snake will die!!! Maybe some of the larger dealers can make this happen. I hope so.
  • Options

• Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928

<< <i>Nick has a lot of knowledge and a great personality >>

A lot of people that do a substantial amount of damage to others have "knowledge and a great personality." Charisma is not an adequate stand in for ethics.

And as one who does not know Nick, I mention that merely as an observation about life.

Carl
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    Coin doctors are nothing more than criminals. Letting them "save face" would not solve anything, nor should their crimes go un-punished. They can only make a living in numismatics by doctoring and upgrading coins and ripping off collectors that don't know any better. They couldn't make it in this industry if they had to do things honestly. It would be like asking a call girl to stop selling her body for hundreds of thousands of $$$ a year and take a job as a secretary for $22K/year. Maybe not a perfect analogy, but I think you can see the point. Coin doctors ARE cancers. They need to be surgically removed and properly disposed of if you want to survive.
  • Options
    Maybe not a perfect analogy, but I think you can see the point.

better just stick to coins and forget about call-girl comparisons. after all, it's the oldest profession because there are so many willing customers!! hey, wait a minute. maybe it is a valid comparison. if everyone would jump off the eye-candy bandwagon and stop paying ludicrous premiums for toned coins, there would be less incentive for individuals to doctor coins in the fashion being discussed.

like that will ever happen!!

al h.image
  • Options
    Keets,

Didn't you know that coin doctoring was the second-oldest profession!imageimage

GSAGUY
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Yep, I think there was even a coin doctor who dipped Nero's coins after the fire.
  • Options
    i didn't but i guess now i do!!!

one thing i'll say for this thread, at least we have a name and someone who is willing to state plainly that he has first hand personal knowledge, not heresay. that is a move in the right direction, away from inuendo.

al h.image
  • Options
    Keets, you mean you don't know a guy who once had lunch with the jilted ex-girlfriend of the brother of someone who might have been doctoring coins at some point?
  • Options

<< <i>This question was asked in the Q&A section >>

exposer,

Thanks for fixing it.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    OK Russ, it looks like time for some linkage!

hey neil

i was the waiter at the restaraunt where they ate said lunch!!image i overheard some talking whilst serving the appetizers, which were tater skins.

al h.image
  • Options
    But did those tater skins have metal flakes in them??? image Inquiring minds want to know!
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Changing thread titles after a significant number of responses isn't a fair or appropriate thing to do. IMO.

Carl
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    hey neil

i only heard tidbits. something on the order of "i know a guy who does some amazing things with potato's......" as i was setting down the skins and when i returned with their entrees this guy had some Jeffersons out on the table. he was drawing these wierd circles of color on the coins with magic markers and then holding the coins and rocking them in the faint flourescent lighting. we got kinda busy and i never had a chance to talk to the guy, though he did leave a healthy tip and one of the colored nickels on the table. i can't really remember what he looked like, but the redhead!!!! WOWZER, her i'd remember in the dark!!image

al h.image
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭

<< <i>Changing thread titles after a significant number of responses isn't a fair or appropriate thing to do. IMO.

Carl >>

Yes, thanks for fixing it. image
  • Options
    She may have been a red head, but these days I bet she's artificially colored!! image
  • Options
    You guys are correct I shouldn't have changed the thread title. I've put it back to the original now.
    Sorry. Deception wasn't my reason, but I see how it could have been taken that way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file