Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

numismatic etiquette: a veteran dealer's thoughts

JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
I have not watched the boards much until the CU/BM fiasco started. Having a coin store and displaying at over 1000 shows since 1965, I have some thoughts on this topic that I have seen crop up from time to time. There are at least two groups of coin dealers. One, which I place myself in, cares about the future of the hobby and works towards its growth and health. These professionals exhibit at shows and answer questions to the best of their ability on many aspects of the hobby and business. They do their best to adhere to the hours and length of these events. They understand that the numismatic hobby is a luxury that no one needs to participate in. They also recognize that without collectors, their is no demand for these items and that their inventories are worth the greater of face value or melt. I remember well the late Jerry Cohen of Beverly Hills telling me that there were more coins than there was money to buy them with. Another group does not deal with the public and is primarily interested in today's profits, filling want lists from other dealers, and trying to find material they can instantly profit in. I am sure that they care, somewhat, about the health and future of the hobby, but they do not work publicly to address questions, etc. When a member of this second group attends events, he normally adds to the ill feelings from the public about professionals. If a collector does not receive the service he desires, he should speak up. Not being served properly should instruct them to move on to dealers that will serve them. I believe that this group of dealers should be in another part of the exhibit area, where the public would grow to understand that they would not receive the same level of service. Dealers with stores, for the most part, offer verbal appraisals and consultations to the public rather freely. These dealers depend on repeat business and not on the one time score. Members of the public, both collectors and general, should realize that these courtesies should not be abused if they are not going to support these dealers' businesses. These professionals have chosen to make numismatics their livelyhood. I am sure that many things are left unsaid, but could get addressed by replies to this thread. Direct emails to julian@juliancoin.com will receive the most prompt replies.
PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore

Comments

• Options
    JamericonJamericon Posts: 437 ✭✭✭
    Welcome and I applaud your thread. It is dealers like you who give this hobby a good name. Whether dealer or collector, the love of the hobby should come first, seeing that neither could exist without the other.
    Jamie Yakes - U.S. paper money collector, researcher, and author. | Join the SPMCUS Small-Size Notes, National Bank Notes, and NJ Depression Scrip
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Julian.....hmmmm...... that name sounds vaguely familiar. image

Welcome!
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Kudo's to Julian.
    I wonder how many dealers and collectors realize the value of Young Numismatists?
    Who is going to buy our collections someday in the future. They should always be enthusiastically responded to. I have always donated to, cut price breaks to, and went the extra mile for the YN's.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    Most dealers are very good to YN's. The dealers do fall into the two brackets that Julian talked about - the first group is great towards YN's and the second YN's should avoid.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Welcome to the forum, Julian. Look forward to hearing from you further.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Julian - Having another voice of reason,knowledge and experience from the

dealers perspective is not only welcome it is very much needed. A warmest welcome

to you in joining our warm, but somewhat disfunctional family. Bear
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i> .... One, which I place myself in, cares about the future of the hobby and works towards its growth and health. These professionals exhibit at shows and answer questions to the best of their ability on many aspects of the hobby and business. >>

Julian, I can vouch for that. You have great enthusiasm for the
    hobby and will spend all the time needed to answer any
    collector's question. I still maintain that the younger generation
    is the lifeblood of this hobby and that there are still dealers
    out there who have not learned that yet.

"location, location, location...eye appeal, eye appeal, eye appeal"
    My website
  • Options
    Hi Julian, and thanks for your input.

Everbody, let's reply to this thread from time to time to get it to the top!

Life got you down? Listen to John Coltrane.
  • Options
    Okey Dokey
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Julian, welcome to the board, and well said. I've seen how you conduct business (at the PAN shows) and you seem like one of the good ones.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Most dealers are very good to YN's. The dealers do fall into the two brackets that Julian talked about - the first group is great towards YN's and the second YN's should avoid. >>

I agree 100%... and I don't like the meanie dealers! image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Julian!!

Mark
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, Julian, to the message boards. You may not recognize me by my handle, but I'm a collector of ED's by die marriage and Seated Dollars in MS. I always make it a point of stopping by your table just to say ``Hi!'' if you and I are at the same show.

To those who don't know Mr. Leidman, let me say that I am not a major customer of his. Yet, he always seems happy to see me and always tries to make time to have at least a brief conversation with me. I know that I've behaved like a newbie to him at times over the years. Yet, he's never made me feel like my issues weren't worthy of his attention.

Julian, you should get the ``Good Guy'' moniker from Cameron. image

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    Julian,

You are so right. I stop by your table at Long Beach from time to time and you are the most courteous, kind and jovial dealer I have met yet in the coin business. And I have never bought a coin from you! In fact, I remember as a kid of 15 going to many Bowers and Ruddy auctions, how you would make the sale kind of fun with your very vocal bids. Welcome. image

TRUTH
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    A word about Julian........

Last year, I took my girl along with me to a large show (I forget which one exactly) and she looked around the bourse floor for awhile on her own. She likes to look at all the pretty toned coins in dealers cases as well as Bust dollars which are her favorite.

After meeting up with her again, I asked her how she liked it and if she saw any cool Bust dollars. She tells me that after walking nearly the entire bourse floor and looking at a lot of the various dealers cases of coins, a few people stared at her but only ONE dealer smiled and politely greeted her as she walked up to his table and said "good morning, how are you, is there anything I can show you?",,,,,and I think his name was Julian.

dragon

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards.
  • Options
    mongoosemongoose Posts: 589 ✭✭
    Welcome Julian, hope to see you in Charlotte.
    Joe
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    if this is the "julian" that i think it is, then it is an honor.

isn't there a 3d class of "dealers", the "dealer-wannabe's"?

K S
  • Options

<< <i>Julian, you should get the ``Good Guy'' moniker from Cameron. >>

image Loose my Good Guy-hood?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Julian,

Your wisdom is well-received. I hope to meet you at a show in the future.
  • Options
    Hello Julian,
    Yes, I pretty much fall into that second class of dealers that you mention, the wholesale 'dealer to dealer' dealer,image and I very much agree that wholesale dealers should be kept apart from the retail dealers.A walk through a major show late Sat or Sunday would make the need for a split retail/wholesale bourse very obvious! As one who sees both sides of the issue,I can`t help noticing the frustration on many casual show-goers faces when they unknowingly stop at a "wholesale" table to look or ask a question.image
    I concur with the others here, you are always friendly and helpful to anyone that passes your table!image
    A dealer once asked me if I noticed any three-legged buffalos on the bourse,to which I replied,"...no,but I saw alot of two-legged jackasses..."
  • Options
    Hey Julian! I love that you are here. Please stay and share your experience and your experiences.

Thanks for selling me that toned Liberty Nickel in Houston and for buying that toned trime from me.

adrian
  • Options
    I'm 53, anybody want to see my picture?? Just kidding...I am 53 though, but only been seriously collecting for about two years..Am I considered a YN??

Dan
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Julian, you should get the ``Good Guy'' moniker from Cameron. >>

image Loose my Good Guy-hood?

Cameron Kiefer >>

Cameron- didn't you say I could be Good Guy #2?
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Dan - My first name is Abe, do you suppose you live next door to me. anyway, your title

is correctly called "Middle Aged Young Numismatist". Glad we could clear this little problem

up for you. Since I am 64 ,I guess that makes me an Older Numismatist. Not smarter mind you,

just older.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Ah yes, Julian.
    The dealer with the calm voice of reason and the ready smile.
    More than willing to inform and assist.
    Premium inventory too I might add.
    A true gentleman.
    Welcome.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Welcome Julian.

Thank you for your well written post. I hope you stick around and share more of your experience with us.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Julian,

I haven't had the pleasure, but I expect I will. I enjoyed reading your manifesto, and think it is an astute observation that coin purchases are discretionary purchases. I'm sure you are quite sucessful, and it is obvious from the comments left on the thread that you are well thought of.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, Julian, it will be nice to have another knowledgeable dealer "willing to work with customers" point of view! image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    fcloud,
    For the benefit of the collectors here that have no idea what the coin is you have in your sig line, why not label it as the "1858 double date half dime" so they'll know what it is.

Ray
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Julian is probably one of the only dealers that needs no introduction.
    In all the years that I have been collecting, I think Julian is in a class by himself. Welcome and please share your thoughts with us.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Hi Julian.
    I've seen you at coin showns. You always have the best stuff.
    Welcome to the CU boards. Stick around, we need all the "Good Guys" we can get here.

Ray
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't think of anything more to say, except that he had one monster grape fruit at his table at the FUN show! Julian is one of my favorite dealers and has shown me many kindnesses over the years...welcome!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Julian, always nice to see other dealers that I set up with at the PAN show.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭
    How many dealers would be known by just their first name? You know... Madonna, Cher, Shaq----> JULIAN!
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
    I'm impressed !!!! Who will visit next ? Bowers, Manly, Ivy ???
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Julian. I spoke with you at the Salt Lake ANA show, though I don't expect you to remember. You were showcasing an MS65 1897-S Barber Half, that was being auctioned off.

Numismatics does have an upper elite, whose reputations, knowledge and integrity are solid. That is what gives numismatics credibility in my opinion.

Tyler

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file