Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin dealer Ron Gillio arrested

This update from KCOY news website today:

"December 4, 2002 6:53 PM

Scam Investigation

Two prominent local businessmen are accused of duping a famous photographer. The arrest this week of two antique dealers caps off a three year investigation into financial elder abuse and grand theft.

According to the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Department James O’Mahoney and Ronald Gillio befriended 94 year old photographer Josef Muench. Detectives say the famous photographer, who died in 1998, suffered from dementia and that the two men only paid him a small sum for his very valuable work.

The Sheriff’s Department seized a large quantity of Muench’s prints and negatives while serving search warrants on both men earlier this year.Gillio, an antique coin, jewelry, and art dealer, owns a prominent State Street business and is a member of two professional organizations that uphold strict codes of ethics. O’Mahoney owns the Santa Barbara Surfing Museum.

His friends say they don’t believe he’s capable of doing what he’s accused of, both face felony charges of grand theft and elder financial abuse. O’Mahoney is still in custody, but Gillio made bail. He did not return our calls today.A civil case against the two men is also pending"

Looks like Long Beach fees are going up again and doesn't say much for PNG membership.

TRUTH

Comments

• Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Wow!! What a story!

dragon
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like Long Beach fees are going up again and doesn't say much for PNG membership. >>

Long Beach fees going up: Shocking!

PNG Membership means little: Shocking!

Next time you post Truth please tell me something I DON'T know. lol

jom
  • Options
    Maybe you can buy one of those pictures here.
  • Options
    If Mr. Gillio is convicted, will he be expelled as a PNG member??

dragon
  • Options
    Apparently, the news report which was broadcast live reported that the two dealers, Gillio and OMahoney, paid $2500 for the collection valued at $1 million dollars. I just don't understand why this happens, especially to a 94 year old man. Very, very sad.

TRUTH
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, maybe they're innocent. Please be sure to post the results when the dust settles....
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> paid $2500 for the collection valued at $1 million >>

Do you think they made any money in "flipping" the merchandise? I'm not sure...overhead costs are a killer. image

jom
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be very difficult to prosecute a case against them when the seller is deceased??

dragon
  • Options
    Even more difficult to prove fraud as they appear to have paid an agreed amount for the collection.
    What will kill a thread faster than a reply from Ritchie?
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    If Mr. Gillio is convicted, will he be expelled as a PNG member??

No. He'll be appointed to their ethics board.
  • Options
    Wait!!

Was Ron an eBay Powerseller? They have special immunity from prosecution.

Was Ron simply forwarding cash for coins on consignment? Happens all the time and is a twist on my query last week about a dealer dying with your coins!

Was Ron a website owner, buying tons at auction and a PNG member? If one or all 3 then again special circumstances and he cannot be guilty of any crime.

Well at least we know O'Mahoney does not have the pockets to front bail!

All kidding aside it is too bad. I met Ron a few years ago and he was very friendly and warm, maybe that's how he sucked this old guy. Just goes to show you as the Anaconda said: "The coin bidnez is still bidnez." And yes I know this is not about coins but same principal.

I bet he gets off light, they always do. This is a low risk crime.
  • Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    He may get off light for the grand theft, but not for elderabuse. In CA they prosecute bigtime now for those stealing from the elderly or physical abuse against the elderly. I'm sure representatives from the estate are putting up a big stink for prosecution. My prognostication, 5 years in the big house, $1 million restitution and an agreement to get out of the antique and coin biz.

TRUTH
  • Options
    ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
    I am strongly against passing judgement on somebody, just because they have been arrested for a crime. Innocent, until proven guilty. But if he is guilty, then he should be shot, hung, or stoned to death.
  • Options
    Hey Everyone,
    Before we start building that gallows for Mr. Gillio let's just sit back and see what develops. This man in my opinion makes too much money legitimately to go around ripping off old folks. He's been in business in Santa Barbara since I was a kid (I'm 45 now) and I don't know of anyone treated unfairly by him or his associates. His business is located in my birthplace some 70 miles south of where I now live and I will be surprised if he is convicted of anything related to this or anything similiar. BTW, this is the same county (Santa Barbara) that just in the last year settled out-of-court for almost $1,000,000 to two bikers that the sheriff's dep't. beat up in a Los Alamos, CA bar. Anything is possible here. (Including the Michael Jackson circus, er, I mean civil trial currently being held here.)
    Joe
  • Options
    JLW,

I agree 1000%. Innocent until proven guilty.

But, it does not look good. Afterall, a 3 year investigation! He still had the prints which were seized "earlier this year". I am surprised it was not exposed earlier.

"This man in my opinion makes too much money legitimately to go around ripping off old folks." This is one of the biggest misconceptions out there. Not necessarily about Ron but in general. Just because you see someone bringing in alot of cash does not mean they are making money. There is overhead, taxes, financing costs, etc. all these real expenses which affect the bottom line and do lead people to do bad things to save their business if they run into problems. Sure maybe he made alot but what was his lifestyle? Business overhead? Mortgage? Business debts?

I don't mean to criticize JLW, but people need to be more vigilant and aware. Not everything seems to be what it is all the time.
  • Options
    IwogIwog Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭
    Assuming all of the allegations are true, no one should be surprised in the least. I bet 80% or more of all full time coin dealers violate agency law on a DAILY basis and use their knowlege of numismatics to steal money from uninformed sellers. For those who don't know what agency law is, it is the prohibition of a professional in ANY field to take advantage of a seller who consults him/her for a professional opinion on the value of an item.

If I walked into a coin dealer with my 1804 Silver dollar and the coin dealer said it was worth $100, and then proceeded to buy it from me, he would be committing a felony. This is a violation of agency law.

Of course most dealers know this and play silly games like not discussing a value at all or playing "hide the redbook" when an elderly person walks in the door. They excuse paying 50% below greysheet with the trite saying of "seller beware". They call each other and brag about someone they gave a good screwing to. (This is true! I once got a call from a well known dealer gloating about an original S mint roll of Standing Liberty quarters, all mint, that he bought for next to nothing) It's business as usual and any dealer who says it isn't is lying.

Oh yeah, I'm a dealer but I'm a collector first.
    "...reality has a well-known liberal bias." -- Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭
    Na na na nuh, na na na nuh, hey- hey ayyy....
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>If I walked into a coin dealer with my 1804 Silver dollar and the coin dealer said it was worth $100, and then proceeded to buy it from me, he would be committing a felony. This is a violation of agency law. >>

Agreed, but if instead of saying it was WORTH $100 he had said "I'll pay $100 for it." and then you agree and sell it to him, he has done nothing illegal. Wrong, yes but illegal, no. Proper choice of words is important.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    never did like gillio anyhow. we used to call him "jello". wouldn't surprise me 1 bit if the sucker got busted. sorry to sound so negative, but i never bought a danged thing from the guy, inflated prices on inflated opinions of his own stuff.

K S
  • Options
    Its ok to pay 30% of list isn't it? Or 50% or 10%? Well ok somebody tell me at what point does profit become crime?
  • Options
    Conder,

Let's change the scenario a bit. You walk into the store with an 1804 $1 at 94 years of age, with some dementia, you are then 'befriended'(as stated in the store), then say "I'll pay you $100 for your coin". I guess it's OK then.

At that age, under those conditions, I don't care what the wording is, the crime has been commited.

TRUTH
  • Options
    Truthteller--
    I am with you on this one. At this point in my life I am dealing with two sets of aging parents. Some days I feel like I'm battling the forces of evil themselves trying to keep away the scam artists that view older people in our society as easy pickings.
    My parents almost linked up with this group that did "senior estate services." When I met these guys I almost flipped. Rolex's and smarm beyond the pale. After a minimum of damage this relationship was severed. That particular company is now involved in litigation up to their eyeballs where I live.
    Taking advantage (and outright abuse) of the elderly is particularly odious to me.
    As far as Mr. Gillio's innocence or guilt, I have no opinion one way or the other. But, what he is accused of is a scenario that is all too common. Maybe it always has been.

Carl
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Condor,

No amount of parsing of language will make what Gillio did -- if true -- acceptable to a jury. The jury has a funny way of determining guilt from innocence. If it can be proved that Gillio actually did what they say he did, and if the DA got an indictment, then chances are the jury will convict simply because the action itself is proved, and the jury will simply judge intent. On intent, the jury will show no mercy because they will be afraid that someone will scam them in their twilight years, and they will convict and they will impose a harsh sentence.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    IwogIwog Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭
    Most laws are written with vague terminology like "reasonable" and "customary" when talking about fraud issues. If an agency violation with a coin dealer ever got to trial, the prosecuting attorney would probably reference the greysheet and examine other coin dealers to prove the price paid was fraudulent.

The main issue however isn't the price paid, but the advice sought as to value. An informed collector armed with a bluebook would have no claim of being defrauded since he/she is not relying on the dealer to establish a value. HOWEVER, most of the profit made in the coin market isn't from collectors, it is from estate liquidations. People without a shred of knowlege in numismatics will enter a coin shop with grandpa's collection and ask the "professional" coin dealer to establish a value.

In a case like this, an agency relationship is created the second the seller comes through the door. Most dealers hold themselves out as professionals in the field of numismatics in order to attract business, so they can't simply turn themselves into a self-interested competing buyer on command. In a perfect world, one dealer would advise the seller on value while another dealer would act as a buying agent just like it's done with real estate.

Of course everyone knows what happens when this is suggested. The dealer gets pissy, demands an appraisal fee or declines to value the coins at all, and has a temper tantrum that grandpa's collection is going to someone else. I've seen it happen a thousand times and I'm sure I'll see it again. Gotta love the coin market.
    "...reality has a well-known liberal bias." -- Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    Iwog,

How would someone go about taking action against a dealer that paid them way less than a coin(s) worth? Sounds like that would be a tough case to prove.

I am aware that the now famous 1896-S Morgan that is now in a PCGS MS69 holder, was purchased over the counter a number of years ago by a dealer in Chicago from a non-numismatic lady for practically nothing.

dragon
  • Options
    Presleyh, any amount of profit is ok 100% 200%, 300% and so on. It just depends on how you achieve those profits, if it is LEGAL or Not!

Bulldog
    Proud to have fought for America, and to be an AMERICAN!

No good deed will go unpunished.

Free Money Search
  • Options
    hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    I'd have to wait and see how things pan out before passing judgement.

I've had only one dealing with Gillio and was quite happy. Many of you might recall my quest a few months back to find a Mercury 16d as a gift for the wife who was starting to collect the Mercs. I evenually found and purchased a PCGS G6 at a VERY fair price from Gillio's store. I was impressed with them during my business transaction, but then I was never in contact with Ron himself, Grace handled my transaction.
  • Options
    Do not believe that a parsing of words is not relevent. Ask the lawyers on the board. The way laws are written can lend themselves to broad interpretation. A good attorney can also skew the facts. Also a judge is not bound by the jury`s decision. Also when it comes to sentencing the judge while not wanting to negate the jury`s finding can impose a sentence that he thinks is more in accordance with the actual facts and law. This is also dependent on if the state has mandatory guidelines. Do not get me wrong. It is disgusting to take advantage of an elderly or infirmed person. IF GUILTY, they should feel the full force of the law. The legal system while it is greatly flawed is still the best in the world, IMHO. But it `s real interpretation can be quite obtuse.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    a mall not far from here sponsors a coin weekend once a year. nothing disgusts me more than to see elderly folks lining up to get double face on their silver coins, etc. not illegal, just disgusting, retches my stomach

K S
  • Options
    "and an agreement to get
    out of the antique and coin biz."

That may be the "TRUTH", Truth, but very "Cruel and Inhuman Punishment" !

Kenimage
    Ken
  • Options
    "The jury has a funny way of determining guilt from innocence."

EVP ,

Yeah, right... Like O.J. Simpson !

Kenimage
    Ken
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    Anyone else get the email from HalfSense (out newest forum member)?

I'm sure they won't mind me posting it here.

Subject: Statement on behalf of Ron Gillio

The statement below is distributed by Donn Pearlman of ITQ/Minkus & Dunne
    Communications, Chicago, (312) 541-8787 x 238. For additional information on
    this matter, please contact Mr. S. R. Balash, Jr., Attorney At Law, Office:
    (805) 962-0026 or Cellular: (805) 895-4858. Thank you for your consideration
    of this item. -donn-
    -----------------------------
    For immediate release
    December 5, 2002

News media contact:
    S. R. Balash, Jr., Attorney At Law
    1215 De La Vina St., Suite I, Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Office Phone: (805) 962-0026
    Cellular Phone: (805) 895-4858
    Fax: (805) 966-9606
    E: srb4def@earthlink.net

-- Statement On Behalf Of Ron Gillio --

Contrary to news media reports, Ron Gillio never purchased photographs
    directly from Josef Muench. In fact, he only met him once, and that was in
    June of 1996 and no business was conducted. Mr. Gillio purchased various
    Muench photographs directly from James O'Mahoney between early 1996 and 1998
    at a cost of more than $150,000, a fair and reasonable price at the time.

Mr. Gillio is an ethical businessman conducting his normal business
    operations, and has been inappropriately charged with elder abuse and theft
    despite the fact that he had no business dealings with Mr. Muench.

Mr. Gillio has been an established and respected businessman in Santa Barbara
    since 1970, buying and selling antiques, rare coins and other collectibles at
    fair and reasonable prices. In the course of his business he buys various
    property from people offering items for sale. Mr. Gillio provides
    authentication, certification, grading, conservation and/or matting of the
    items, and resells that property to buyers locally through his retail store,
    through his wholesale network and via the Internet.

In early 1996, Mr. Gillio was contacted by Mr. O'Mahoney who offered to sell
    him photographs and negatives shot by Mr. Muench. Mr. Gillio examined the
    materials and inquired about their authenticity and ownership status. Mr.
    O'Mahoney indicated the materials were authentic and that he had good title
    to them.

Between 1996 and 1998, Mr. Gillio purchased various photographs and negatives
    from Mr. O'Mahoney. Mr. Gillio later decided to sell the photographs from
    the gallery portion of his store and hired Mr. O'Mahoney to be the gallery
    manager. However, sales were meager and the gallery closed leaving unsold
    inventory and a significant financial loss to Mr. Gillio.

###
  • Options
    Greg,

I *just* got it and was about to see if I can find your email addr to fwd it onto you for comment... What the heck? And, who the heck is HalfSense? What kind of a half wit would send this crap to me? Like I care... (about the testimonial).

EVP

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A similar situation occured in Connecticut back around 1988-89 when
    a well known dealer paid $50,000 for a wonderful $500,000 collection from an elderly widow. She was originally offered something like $5,000 for the collection from a small part-time dealer selling out a Hartford department store. I guess the $50,000 looked pretty good after that. I believe the purchasing dealer was a member of various "prestigious" coin organizations. Like someone said, this does happen all too often.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    I got the email too.

The statement below is distributed by Donn Pearlman of ITQ/Minkus & Dunne

Sounds like a public relations [spin doctor] firm!

Like I really care about some stupid testimonial as well!!
  • Options
    I live just north of Santa Barbara county. This story has been all over the news for several days, and not once did the news mention that R.G. was a coin dealer. California has been taking elder abuse very seriously in the last two years. He could get a minimum of 4 years for this level of financial elder abuse. A very sad story indeed.
    Dr. Steve
    aknow

Looking for uncirculated Indian Heads and PRS electric guitars
  • Options
    Does anyone know who Donn Pearlman is? His name sounds very familiar to me...

EVP

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Don Pearlmann is a PR man for CLCT
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of things:

1) Iwog - To be a 'professional' here in California, you must obtain a license from the State to practice your profession. Coin dealers have no such licensing requirement, so your argument if flawed. Furthermore, the Internal Revenue Code specifies who it considers to be a 'professional' re which professions are deemed to be "professional corporations," and numismatists, coin dealers, etc., are not included in their definition.

Perhaps a forum member who is a lawyer familiar with the California Civil Procedures Code can add his or her 2 cents on this.

2) Some people erroneously believe that if someone is making a great deal of money, that it would not be logical for this individual to engage in underhanded tactics to get still more money. WRONG! As a CPA, I've seen a disturbing number of people who do not have the word 'enough' in their vocabularies.

3) I sincerely hope Mr. Gilio is not guilty of this crime. If he is, he should be garroted. As another poster mentioned, my parents are also elderly. Dad was Phi Beta Kappa in college, and it pains me to see that he's nowhere near as sharp as he used to be. Fortunately, my parents look to me regarding financial matters and I have the required expertise, so the scenario he described will not happen.

Elder abuse to me is like waving a red flag in front of a bull. I put it in the same category as child molestation.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Thanks, Stewie. Can you explain why the PR dude for CLCT is distributing a legal disputation for Mr. Gillio? Do CLCT have a stake in this?

EVP

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EVP: I don't know but he obviously is trying to halt the damage his client's reputation is undergoing. It seems that many have already judged Gillio guilt and we have not heard all of the facts.

I will not comment on Gillio's innocence or gult until the case, if any is tried, with a verdict is rendered.

Now onto Donn Perlman, who is from Skokie, IL, he is one of the best and funniest numismatic writers of all times and has been a prolific writer for the Numismatist, the monthly ANA magazine. If anyone knows what is going on it would be Donn. He is really good at what he does and an excellent publicist, as well.

Read some of his articles in the Numismatist, one of them "Los Angeles on $4 million a day." It is a riot.

Once you all do a little due diligence on who Donn Pearlman is, you would all agree that he was one of the better choices to write on behalf of Gillio although I am not out to defend or condemn the guy (all I keep reading that those LB fees keep going up and up and up)!

I watched Pearlman in action for a number of years and I like the guy very much indeed. He has a very pleasant personality. Gillio, I do not know as well, so unfair to comment.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    My comment is to illustrate a point. If you pay a professional to appraise your collection, then a contract exists that should be fully enforcable is court should a scam be involved. If you sell your collection for whatever someone offers you, then thats business. If the old fellow was incapable of making business decisions, why didn't someone take over his estate before he gave it all away? I will gladly buy a 7 million dollar gold 1933 st gaulden for 20 bucks if I get a chance!
  • Options
    Here's my point. If you happen to have a father 94 years old and he does not get his 1933 Saint appraised, and then offers it to me for $20, I will not buy it. Do you know why??? Because I am not greedy, and besides that coin is overgraded. image
  • Options
    I don't know Ron although I know he's been around for a long time.

I also don't know the facts about his case other than what I have read here.

Believe it or not, people get accused of things they have not done. It happens every day.

We should all consider him innocent until proven guilty and accord him the benefit of the doubt.

Isn't that what we would want?

adrian
  • Options
    Agree---------He deserves a trial, if that even happens, and is innocent till proven otherwise.
  • Options
    To all who say that Mr. Gillio is innocent until proven guilty... I definitely agree. 100%. No reservations.

Let me point out some of the discussions in this thread regarding the heinousness of the action is based on a hypothetical: IF MR. GILLIO (OR ANYONE ELSE) TOOK A 94 Y/O MAN FOR PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR. I guess some folks here like to discuss the hypothetical, and then try to be journeyman talking head legal experts (like me!).

As for Mr. Perlman, I would just as soon assume that he's a decent and upstanding fellow. I just was perplexed that he sent a testimonial on behalf of Mr. Gillio's lawyers. And, that he sent it to me. I honestly didn't care about the testimonial. I stand behind my belief that a person is innocent until proven guilty. But, even guilty people will proclaim their innocence. Hence, the testimonial is meaningless to me (unless I were on the jury listening to testimonials from both sides).

EVP

• Options
    HalfsenseHalfsense Posts: 600 ✭✭✭
    Hello, this is from Donn Pearlman. Let me quickly and politely clarify a recent posting. The Statement On Behalf of Ron Gillio is not a "testimonial." It's a press release of a statement issued by someone else.

As indicated at the top of the item, the comments were issued by S. R. Balash, Jr., an attorney representing Ron, and I distributed the statement to various news organizations. (Ron is a longtime, good friend.)

For those who don't know me, I'm a former Chicago broadcaster and journalist, former ANA Board member, and numismatic author. My work these days involves public relations, marketing and advertising, and, yes, some of my clients are in collectibles fields (coins, stamps, sports memorabilia, historical documents, art, etc.).

For those who do know me -- I no longer toss paperwads in the office.

Sincerely,
    -donn-
    "If it happens in numismatics, it's news to me....
  • Options
    Hello Donn--
    Sounds like there is an awful lot that you could contribute to the forum here. Welcome, outside of this one subject and thread, I hope you find reason to stick around and interact with everyone here. It can be a pretty interesting experience.

Carl
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    Donn,
    Welcome to the zoo {boards}.
    Your back page quips I'll miss [ex ana member} and congratulations on breaking that nasty paper wad habitimage

Tim
    My proof Jeffs

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file