Home U.S. Coin Forum

Lawyers, Lawyers, Lawyers, Lawyers,,,,,,,,,,

Hopefully, a few of the lawyer/coin collectors on this forum will view this. There is a newly formed coin website advertising a "12 million dollar inventory". The president of this company, lets call him Mr BS, offered to sell me a PCGS MS68 1908S $5 Indian. I was estatic that I might own this coin, as it would be the only MS68 $5 Indian graded by PCGS, for the entire series. I already own a PCGS 1908-S MS 68$10 Indian. The price agreed on was $96,000. A couple of my regular dealers were called to get their opinion on the value of the coin. One of these dealers expressed skepticism that the coin existed. I called Mr BS back and asked if he had a PCGS MS 68 $5, or was it the POP 1 NGC MS 68 $5. He stated "that it was in a PCGS holder".
"The coin came from a private collection and was just made".
I sent two checks that day by overnight mail. Both checks have PCGS 1908-S MS 68 $5 Indian written on them. The checks were deposited into his company account.
About 8 days later he called me to inform me that he had cracked out the PCGS MS 68 and had sent it in to NGC for a MS 69 grade and that I would stand to make $60,000 for doing nothing.
To make this story short, the coin did not NGC 69, because after investigating and calling PCGS about this coin, I learned that it never existed.
Mr BS had my money for a total of three weeks before I got it back, and I had to wait anxiosly for another week for his check to clear.
Now, my question to the lawyers is; Who can I report this person to? Has he commited a crime? Am I allowed to devulge his name and his company name on this forum?
I have only listed one deception, as space does not allow here. I can report more, but the above instance I can prove with hard evidence. I also have a recording.
Please offer advice, because this company is nothing but
a bunch of thieves and liars, and they will definitely prey on many more people. Thanks, Paul

Comments

• Wow Paul. I am glad that you got your money back, even after some time. Frattlaw is a lawyer along with ANACONDA. Hopefully they can add some input.

Cameron Kiefer
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    I am not a lawyer, but I studied law long enough to know that you can mention the person's name and accurately represent the situation. As the business says, the defense against libel and slander is telling the truth. If you're accurate in your descriptions to us (with identifiable information) then there is nothing they can do about it. Beyond that, I'll let the lawyers have their say... the sharks! image Sorry, had to say it.
  • BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭
    I'm no lawyer, but it sounds like deception and thievery to me.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • I wonder how much interest he made in three weeks?
    NMFB ™

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's only one dealer on the Forum who has made the $12 million dollar claim. Something sounded fishy from the beginning. I would not be surprised if that money to short cover some interest payments or auction bills. With what they pay today even on $50,000 money market accounts (1.25%/yr) I doubt they made more than $100 in interest in this period. These guys are not PNG dealers if memory serves me correctly. You've already spread the word. Thanks.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Hi Zerbe,

Is this the same individual that posted his website in the buy/sell forum over on the NGC website? Didn't a few other people have negative comments regarding him?

BTW....I once saw that $5.00 NGC MS68 a few years back at the pre-ANA show, I remember it being an incredible piece.

dragon
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I think alot of us here can guess who the dealer is. mike

A dealer once asked me if I noticed any three-legged buffalos on the bourse,to which I replied,"...no,but I saw alot of two-legged jackasses..."
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    This dealer certainly sounds like a slimeball, and I'm glad you got your money back, but I have to ask:

<< <i>because after investigating and calling PCGS about this coin, I learned that it never existed. >>

Why didn't you do that before making the deal? In light of the fact that the pop report indicated none existed, that's some very heavy coin to be laying out just based on the word of the dealer.

Russ, NCNE
  • Truth is a complete defense. As long as you can prove the facts, you have nothing to fear except a lawsuit and potentially costs of defense,
    and possibly a brain dead jury who will award the plaintiffs every last dime you own in their suit against you. You're familiar with bell shaped curves, right?

Having said that (all good lawyers cover their butts), you may have nothing to fear as the plaintiffs would also have the costs of
    bringing a suit against you, however, if you have a lot of money, and it sounds like you do, I would be very cautious in naming names.

What do you have to gain? Harming them? It sounds like their on they're well on their way to financial ruin on their own. Sounds like they
    were short on cash and used your money to cover.

Helping out folks on this board? Nice and altruistic but if you were my client I would caution against it.

adrian, BBA, MBA, JD
  • FrattLawFrattLaw Posts: 3,290 ✭✭
    Well, I guess I'll be the first lawyer to chime in here.

Your facts are a little hazy and brief to allow a full understanding of what exactly transpired, but and I mean but, there may be some criminal activity / charges. Again, it depends on jurisdiction, where you live, where Mr BS is, it appears evident that at least a telephone was used for this transaction and possibly the US Postal Service.

Unfortunately, fraud is extremely difficult to prove. One element of fraud is mens rea - intent. What was Mr BS intent. Was it to defraud you? Hard to prove, on a limited basis - your experience alone. Usually, a pattern of behavior or prior acts are necessary to establish intent. Basically, someone has to get defrauded before anyone will get involved. No crime no investigation.

However, if the mail was used I would alert the local/regional postal inspector.

Be careful with publicly revealing his name or business, you don't want to defend a slander/libel suit. Your post here already calls into question Mr BS motives, ie fraud.

As for a recording, I would not publicise that either. In many states it is illegal, as in felony, to record a conversation, especially telephonically, without the other parties consent. Do not open a pandora's box for yourself.

It is a shame, but you did get your money back, you might want to leave it alone.

Michael

MW Fattorosi Collection
  • Interesting, and just one minute apart.

adrian
    Damn that snake, beats me every time image
  • Zerbe......Sorry to hear about your coin,.......as we all know, most (ok,all) lawyers are scum sucking fleabags lol....(where's Adrian when we NEED him).

Be carefull about the "recording", I dont know what state your in BUT if it's in my state (Ca.) or a lot of states like it you need VERBAL permission from BOTH parties to record a phone call......If you dont get it YOU could be looking at a felony for recording it......

I wish someone.....ANYONE can tell me what a laywer is good for......I could expound on this but would rather keep the post short............
    Toast on
  • CLASSICSCLASSICS Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    if i were you i would listen to the lawyers who are in the know, or hire one an see what he says. to look at the bright side of the coin {pun intented} you did receive your money backimage say a prayer tonight.
  • Hey cointoast - make sure you check under your bed tonight.

anaconda
  • As the killer bee's (umm..... law people ) swarm in to protect the nest lol........

If the dealer had hired you.... it would be a soooo sooooooooooo different reply lol.......
    Toast on
    Zerbe,

Could you clarify how the "recording" came about? Because if it was a message left on your answering machine, that is something entirely different.

Russ, NCNE
    That's the problem with people like CoinToast, and I do use the term people, generously. You try to give a little free advice to someone as a member of this forum, try to save him a little money on attorney's fees, hassles ect and you get attacked.

Edited for the sensitive

Thanks and have a nice day image

Michael
    If these dealer is an ANA member you could file a complaint against them. At least it will be on record and ANA will investigate. You could do the same thing with the PNG as if these guys hang around long enough, they will apply for PNG membership.

roadrunner
  • ZerbeZerbe Posts: 587 ✭✭
    Thank you for the good advice, especially Adrian, Fratlaw, and Mark.
    Even though I did get my money back, it was a very nerve racking month. It is a shame that this company can operate as it does without fearing any type of penalty. I was a victim and because of their size and advertising, they will turn a lot of other coin collectors
    sour. Oh well, I will probably have to leave it alone as you all suggest. Thanks much,,,,,,,,,,,Paul
  • Zerbe - you're welcome.

adrian

• krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I would be amazed if it's not fraud to sell a non-existent item. Just giving the money back certainly can't erase the fraud. Or does it?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Adrain....just checked under my bed....found a whole stack of........ummm....reading material. Thanks for reminding me lol.....

Frattlaw: Correct me if I'm wrong here..(the only person I ever "sued" was a lawyer and I won) You go to school for what..6 years? And your primary job is to interpret the law..the law written by other (unless you took part in the writing of writing the Constitution) Lawyers.....

It would be too easy to write it all In a language ANYONE could understand lol.....If you need more reasons why we don't need lawyers just ask.. I have a few more.
    Toast on
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the dealer is a PCGS/NGC authorized dealer, you might report the instance to the two grading companies. I'm certain that they'd like to know somebody is using them to misrepresent their wares.
    Russ, you are right. I should have checked the coin out better, but I did not have the online POP report at the time, and he did say it was a new coin.
    He caught me offguard, because I am used to all the other 100% honest dealers I do business with.
    This is really *issin*me off though, that they can sell you something that does not exist, now or ever, and take your money for a month, and make you worry if you will ever see it again.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Cointoast,

Take it easy, ok? The objective here is to help Zerbe with a legal issue. Yet, you seem bent on venting your obviously displeasure of lawyers. Perhaps you have just cause to be so down on folks of that professions, but this isn't about you. We're here to try to help Zerbe through a difficult matter, and he's asking for legal advice.

If you really want to vent against lawyers, I would suggest that you do so in a way as not to hijack this thread from Zerbe and those trying to help him.

Regards,

EVP

PS I am not a lawyer.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Have you tried contacting the owner of the company (assuming that the individual is different than the President). If one of my employees pulled that cr@p, I'd sure want to know about it!
    EVP
    Thanks for the words of wisdom,,,,,,,,,,,PAUL
    Thanks EVP, but there's always one of them lurking around. Just to correct CT, its 3 years, perhaps your lawyer completed law school in 6 and that's maybe why you had to sue him or her. If you had done your homework, you probably wouldn't have choosen a lawyer that took 6 years to complete law school, but hey, we're not all perfect. And congrats, I'm glad you won. Maybe that'll be one less lawyer to give the rest of us a bad name.

Should I now disparage all coins dealers and label them "scum" because of what happened to Zerbe?

Sorry -- back to the topic.

Zerbe, I do understand the frustration, anxiety, worry, ect. However, you're not entering into any possible litigation with clean hands. The evidence, the "recording" you note may never be heard by a judge or jury. Without it, how strong is your suit? Tape recording someone secretly is not kosher, to use a legal word of art.

As for civil suit, what's the damages? You didn't get your coin for your price. Basic breach of contract stuff. You might be able to purchase the coin on the fair market and sue Mr BS for the difference between what you paid and what he would have sold the coin for. You may even want to try for attorneys fees (no comments CT) as well as any interest/cost associated with Mr BS holding your money. Otherwise, it really is a solid case. It does s**k, and I would follow the advice of those more experienced in the community.

Legally, I would leave it alone. (There CT, you happy, I just told him he doesn't need a lawyer.) image

File this one under live and learn.

Michael

MW Fattorosi Collection
  • EVillageProwler: Not my intention to go off the trail here......Just stating the facts...Alot of times common sense rules over a bunch of lawyers locked in a room.....Just because you have the "paper" doesnt mean you know a whole heck of alot.....Ask Adrian and Frattlaw...

I'm sure they know some "bad lawyers"......

Dis aint da place to seek legal advice.........trust me......evn with the best intentions would you really trust almost $100K of your money to someone you never met on a coinboard?

Don't get me wrong....I'm sure there are Lawyers out there with a clean soul.....just not a lot of them.

If I where to hire a lawyer today the first thing I would do is to run his or her credit to make sure they were at least paying the student loans off and were solvent......Would'nt that piss a Lawyer off.....to tell them you wanted to run there credit.....lol

I work part time in the Mortgage biz and can tell you that lawyers have the WORST credit of them all.........
    Toast on
    TDN
    The owner of the company is a secret, supposedly. I have since found out a lot of hanky panky is going on at this company. The owner does not want his name known, but you and L. definitely know his name. Can't say any more on this as I may be sued.
    Funny how these guys are known by practically every dealer and a lot of collectors for all the bad things they do for the coin hobby, they just keep getting away with it. Seems like a law or two has to be changed.
    CT perhaps researching his/her law school, work experience, whether he/she is rated by Martindale-Hubble, their involvement in the community, others lawyer's opinions would be a much better start then their credit rating. Just my thoughts and feel free to run my credit too. image

Michael
    Zerbe - what state are you in? What state is the dealer in?

Michael

<< <i>The evidence, the "recording" you note may never be heard by a judge or jury. Without it, how strong is your suit? Tape recording someone secretly is not kosher, to use a legal word of art. >>

Michael,

That really depends on how the recording came about. See my previous question to Zerbe. I'm not a lawyer, of course, but this happens to be something I have some real life experience with.

Russ, NCNE

• IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    Zerbe, I've had employees steal from me, the cops and prosecutors don't care. I could have sued them and won what? There was no money to recover. This is one instance of many that I have not pursued lawsuits. You got a valuable lesson in life for free less a little interest cost.

Not all states prohibit recording of phone calls without permission, last time I checked in Indiana it was ok if it was only two parties.

Cointoast, a part time mortgage employee eh, well I've been doing it for 31 years, including owning my own company, let me tell the board here and now, in 31 years of lending I have seen only two attorneys with bad credit. I mostly deal with professionals and a lot of attorneys, I have to publicly say that you couldn't be more wrong when you say they have the worst credit. That is one of the more ridiculous statements I have seen posted here. In fact just the opposite is true.
    Michael, I am in Ma., but if I give any more info on the dealer, it will be very obvious who it is, and I might as well just say his name.
    I appreciate your help, but I guess the general concensus is that I am fighting a losing battle................Paul
    Russ

Very true, if it was an answering machine then its probably alright since Mr BS was aware of the recording.

However, as Mr BS's lawyer I would argue there's no way to verify the recording was him and thus its questionable as evidence. Then comes the whole expert thing and costs start going through the roof.

My bad, good catch on that.

Michael
  • Frattlaw........WOW! congrats on being a lawyer 3 years out of high school....And to think I dropped out of the 8th. grade to amass a small fortune in real estate.(yes, I can prove it).

As far as your comment on "work experience" whether he/she is rated by Martindale-Hubble."

Nope...I look at credit worthiness and that's IT! I don't care who you are......what college you went to.....how many coins you own.....I want to see your credit want to see how responsible you are in life...

You say "Feel free to run my credit".... Well.......I'm taking you up on your offer, put up or shut up. Send me an e-mail so I cant get the proper information.

I'm guessing my 8th grade education will result in not only in a higher credit score but in at least a triple of your net worth....And....I'm willing to bet on it. I'll also match up with local community service........money and time spent helping............

Your move hot-shot..........Lets see what ya made of..........

Toast on
  • I believe that you can also record in VA without prior notification (recalling that if Linda Tripp did what she did a few miles away, it would have been ok)

My eBay Items

I love Ike dollars and all other dollar series !!!

I also love Major Circulation Strike Type Sets, clad Washingtons ('65 to '98) and key date coins !!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't we have more happy people ??
    Wow, Cointoast - only triple the net worth of a lawyer? Your education must be holding you back to mediocrity!

I've found that an education rarely dictates someone's net worth - tho it does help a bit in keeping them from being offensive about it.
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Cointoast,

You seem to be angrily flailing and lashing out against people who have intelligently chosen not to engage you. What do you hope to gain? Will you stun us with the people skills you've mastered since the 8th grade? Answer at your leisure. I'm headed to bed. Obviously you feel the need to belittle strangers.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Irish Mike.....Not part time...used to own my own company too......If you DID indeed own your own company I'd like to first of all know the name of it.....Where you public? Traded on the exchange? Or a little Mom and Pop in Idaho someplace......

No Matter.......31 years and only 2 lawyers with bad credit.....You DO realize that you have set a worlds record I'm sure.....As at LEAST 20% of customers that call in (or walk though your door) don't qualify Fanny/Freddie Mac.......

I'm sure you also realize the $$$ between "Attorney" States (New York ring a bell?) and states that do Title and escrow in house..... with $10-$12 dollar an hour employees.....

No difference exept that the "Lawyer" charges 3 times as much.......LOL.......

Bring it on................I'm waiting........
    Toast on
  • in 31 years of lending I have seen only two attorneys with bad credit. I mostly deal with professionals and a lot of attorneys, I have to publicly say that you couldn't be more wrong when you say they have the worst credit. That is one of the more ridiculous statements I have seen posted here. In fact just the opposite is true.

Maybe you didn't do enough business with them!! I have about the same number of years in dealing with lawyers in a financial capacity. I can say without qualification: most are broke [some earn alot but have no money], most are horrible business people, most can't earn a living as a lawyer so they do something else, high level of bankruptcy versus other professions and most are late paying their rent.

As a result I never ever lend money or rent to lawyers. Sad but true, lawyers are often times great minds but when it comes to financial matters they are out to lunch!

Why do you see so many "successful" lawyers still working in their 70s? Because they lived too high on the hog and now have to keep working in order to survive.
  • FrattLaw......YOU SAY..............

However, as Mr BS's lawyer I would argue there's no way to verify the recording was him and thus its questionable as evidence. Then comes the whole expert thing and costs start going through the roof.

So you would tell you client to LIE??????

Great...........Where's the soap...........
    Toast on
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    Maybe you are working with the wrong lawyers.
    Feel free to go back to a post by Russ on 10/29 where he was cold "mailed" by a new firm. Later on the owner came into the thread to introduce himself and stated that his firm had a 12 million dollar inventory. We don't get too many dealers on the forum claiming that. Must just be coincidence though.

roadrunner

Roadrunner,

I was wondering it that might be the one.

Russ, NCNE
    TDN,

Yes, I got some spam from a company I hadn't heard of. Here's the thread where I posted about it.

Russ, NCNE
  • BNEBNE Posts: 772
    Sorry to interrupt the lawyer-bashing.

I do agree that damages based on the scenario stated above are negligible, although some states, like California, do have statutes that prohibit "unfair business practices." These kinds of suits present a major pain in the duff to defendants. Certainly the situation presented above sounds highly unfair to me.

The game may not be worth the candle, though.

Too bad about your bummer, Zerbe.image

EDITED 'CAUSE: DAMN! You guys are too quick for me!
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file