How do I clean zinc coins????
    "spare change? Nahhhhh...never have any...sold it all on E-bay..."
    see? My Auctions "Got any 1800's gold?"
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    with zinc cleaner! image
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    sadly, the bottom line theme that runs through this thread continues to be ignored. all coins with wild'n'crazy colors are artificially toned. it is a plain & simple FACT. what you are paying for when you buy 1 in a holder is the blessing of the plastic company.

when you accept that FACT, you will find it much easier to find the right direction to take w/ coins of this ilk.

i repeat: all coins with wild'n'crazy colors are artificially toned. accept it.

K S
  • Options
    (dorkkarl. With regard to what you said above which I have reproduced below......)

So, where did you get such an interesting name, dorkkarl? I like it. But those colorful coins, I agree, those colors are bad. Very bad. Here, why don't you have a seat right here. Good. Here's a pillow. Fine. Fine. Relax. Lean back. Everything's going to be alright. Life is tough sometimes, isn't it? People putting colors on coins. So, you think it's the communists. I do too. How's your appetite been? Good. Do you like guns? Do you have any? With you. Oh, nice. May I see it? Very nice. I'm going to hand it to my friend over here and he's going to put it in the front of the van, and we'll go for a ride in a little while. Do you like to go for rides? I do too. Would you like to go and meet some of my friends? Good. Here's a special coat I brought for you. Oh, no, no, no. There's no colored coins in it. It's very warm, and snug.........

adrian

sadly, the bottom line theme that runs through this thread continues to be ignored. all coins with wild'n'crazy colors are artificially toned. it is a plain & simple FACT. what you are paying for when you buy 1 in a holder is the blessing of the plastic company.

when you accept that FACT, you will find it much easier to find the right direction to take w/ coins of this ilk.

i repeat: all coins with wild'n'crazy colors are artificially toned. accept it.
  • Options
    i disagree Mr. Dork
  • Options
    it is essentially IMPOSSIBLE for coins that pass through the normal channels of commerce to acquire purple haze, indigo blue, psychadelic orange, and candy-striped rio-red & green, blah blah blah colors. silver turns grey, & copper turns brown. it is that simple.

if you put coins in an ARTIFICIAL environment, such as wayte-raymond holders, whitman albums, coin doctor's magic slop, or the ammonium-phosphate atmosphere of jupiter, THEN they might get those bizarre colors. ACCEPT THAT FACT!

if you do decide to accept that fact, & you realize that gee, you know what??? an a-t coin just MIGHT make it into a slab, hmmmm??? then maybe you'll come to rely on your own opinion of what you like, & buy the a-t'd coins for what they are - TO YOU.

the only reason an a-t'd coin gets into a slab - is because someone at the plastic company LIKES it.

looks like anaconda does too, but you shouldn't get upset about it. after all, it's what you LIKE, right?

K S
  • Options
    You're changing what you said. Now it's coins that pass through the channels of commerce. Next it will be only on Tuesday's.

Have you ever seen Morgan's in a GSA holder with wild colors? Do you know who put them in there? Not CoinDr. But your government. In.....a conspiracy with the communists....now, sit back down, and put the jacket ON!

Guido. it's time. Now, this won't hurt one bit........

adrian

• Options
    please go back and quote what it was that i changed. if you REALLY need it, i will grudgingly go back & point out statements w/ the same meaning that i have posted on this forum before. you are getting much to upset about your realization that what i say is true:

ALL coins w/ wild'n'crazy colors are artificially toned.

are you saying that silver dollars w/ wild'n'crazy colors, intended for circulation but that instead sat in the ARTIFICIAL ENVIRONMENT of canvas bags in mint vaults are not AT?

K S
  • Options
    TonekillerTonekiller Posts: 1,308 ✭✭
    Heh! Heh!

Always good to have a laugh on Sunday morning. "Their going to take me away..Ha! HA!..their going to take me away!"
    imageimage
  • Options
    It's not AT because a canvas bag is not un-natural, they didnt mean for them to tone.l Yes there is sulfer but there is sulfer in all wood if I put a coin on my dresser I'm putting it in an

<< <i>ARTIFICIAL ENVIRONMENT >>

???????????
  • Options
    it IS a-t, because the morgan $'s were NOT intended to stay in the canvas bags - FOR EIGHTY YEARS!

again, all the controversy surrounding the "coin-dr" arises only because nobody accepts the fact that i've mentioned above. before getting upset & focusing on feeble attempts at satire, seriously, THINK about what i'm saying! i am not trying to talk down to anyone, or criticize admiration of wild'n'crazy colors on coins. i am asking you to THINK about how it is possible for regular old pocket change, which is most of those coins were at one time, to get wild'n'crazy colors. ask yourself very simply: how many beautifully toned coins have you ever pulled out of circulation? like someone else's tag-line says, "let the truth set you free". no need to battle with it!

K S
  • Options
    So, what is a non-artificial environment.....a vaccuum?

Actually, that's where I keep my coins, in an oxygen free environment. There's no oxygen there so you can't look at 'em very long, and boy, by the third minute, it starts feeling like old times....

Anne
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the Only Non- Artificial Environment was if the coin was in Circulation ?

Karl.... Come on Now. You know this is not True.
  • Options
    NOW you are starting to think! ( & i do'nt mean that condescendingly).

adrian, YOU tell ME,

(1) what is a normal environment for coins?
    (2) in what you consider a normal environment, can coins take on wild'n'crazy colors?

there is no universal right or wrong answer to this, it really amounts to a rhetorical question & i can almost guarantee your answer will differ from mine, which will differ from pcgs, which will differ from the pope. but if others who get upset by this "controversy" will follow this train of thought, i believe the whole thing will sort itself out.

K S
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    karl, can you ever find a hair you couldn't split? We are talking about collectible coins and the hobby, it is universally accepted in the hobby that AT coins are by definition, those that were intentionally enhanced by a process or chemical to artificially induce toning. There is no such thing as normal channels of commerce, do you make these ideas up as you go along? For example the banking industry never intended for silver dollars to be widely distributed, they held them in vaults, much like the Federal Reserve accounts do for banks now. They were shipped between banks to settle accounts and were held for that purpose. What about proof coins that tone in their holders, what is not normal commerce about that? So on and so for, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Here is the truth, you just love to split hairs, admit it, it will set you free!!!!!!!!!!!!image

By the way I love your knowledge and passion for the hobby.
  • Options
    Ahhh.....dorkkarl......you're an attorney, aren't you? Just as I had suspected. A word meister.

Ok, I don't generally answer questions without my attorney. But here goes.

(1) what is a normal environment for coins?

A normal environment for coins is
    where minters normally put them after they're made and
    where collectors normally put them after they're acquired

(2) in what you consider a normal environment, can coins take on wild'n'crazy colors?
    yes.

Touche.

Annabel
  • Options
    K.S. - you said "it IS a-t, because the morgan $'s were NOT intended to stay in the canvas bags - FOR EIGHTY YEARS."

While this board obviously can't agree on a definition for "artificial", I would think that intent should be part of that definition. And, in your above example of mint-sewn bags of dollars, even you admit that there was no intent that those coin tone. It seems that you are operating under a definition of "artificial" that many of the rest of us are not. This is largely about semantics.
  • Options

<< <i>it is universally accepted in the hobby that AT coins are by definition, those that were intentionally enhanced by a process or chemical to artificially induce toning. >>

PROVE it! how come pcgs, ngc, anacs, & collectors in the hobby ACCEPT coins "that were intentionally enhanced"?

<< <i>There is no such thing as normal channels of commerce >>

anyone who believes this will completely agree w/ you. i for 1 do not believe that.

<< <i>What about proof coins that tone in their holders >>

proof coins are NOT intended for the normal channels of commerce!

<< <i>Here is the truth, you just love to split hairs, admit it, it will set you free!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

doh!!! (i'm free, i'm free!) image

K S
  • Options
    Mark, a nice way of saying, hair splitting. image
  • Options
    I think it's spelt "duh"......er i mean spelled.

Ann A. Conda

• Options
    w/ folks like the coin-dr, the reason they make everyone so upset is because the focus is on the wrong thing, ie. whether toning is "artificial" or not. the real focus ought to be whether it was done for profit motive or not. there IS a difference.

i have not answered any questions about the issue, nor am i trying to. what i am trying to do is to get some of us to think "outside" the normal lines of :

it's at! is not! is too! is not! is too! is not! well pcgs said it is! did not! did too!

that argument goes nowhere. i stick by my guns on this one, & i say it for the last time in this thread: all wild'n'crazy colors are a-t. time for breakfast & soccer, so you all be good, & keep right on THINKING. think i'll make up some artificially toned sausage links this morning .....

K S
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with DK!! Since all business strike US Coins were meant for commerce/circulation, then in fact all coins currently held in the market place that are toned must be AT. The only natural state for a US coin is at the mint coming off the press. Once they get placed in proof sets or leave the confines of the US Mint they are no longer natural. AND, any coins currently called Mint State cannot be UNC because they were "intended" for circulation. No uncirculated coins exist except for those in mint hands yet to be distributed. Once they leave the mint, they are in fact circulated. Period. End of story. The condition of the coin is irrelevant, only the "intent" matters. Thanks for clearing this up for me Dorkkarl. So where can I buy some US Mint Coin futures since every coin in the market is either artificially toned or circulated or BOTH?

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Talking about Wallowing in hypocrisy; Coin Dr canceled my bids on 5 of his eBay auctions then ended the auctions! Reason: I have private feedback!!
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    TonekillerTonekiller Posts: 1,308 ✭✭

<< <i>Talking about Wallowing in hypocrisy; Coin Dr canceled my bids on 5 of his eBay auctions then ended the auctions! Reason: I have private feedback!! >>

And? Come on Dog......why private? Makes me nervous when a bidders FB is private. WHAT are you hiding? image

This is said in Humor.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    It's nobody's business what I been buying. image You can still click on my feedback and it says I have 3 million praises & 0 negs or neutrals but you just don't get to see the comments.
    It shouldn't intimidate an honest seller into canceling their auctions. The million dollar question is what is coin dr trying to hide?
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    dorkkarl,

"all wild'n'crazy colors are a-t"

I will tell you again, you are incorrect. That statement is 100% untrue, and I'm surprised you said it.

Dragon
  • Options
    I woke up in a bad mood. I felt I must comment on Coin Dr'.s and make people undertsand what they really are. See the thread coindr.

These are NOT dealers you should learn from-whether they are right or not.

Laura Sperber
    lsperber@hotmail.com
    Laura Sperber

JUST SAY NO TO WANNABES! They lurk and prey on unwitting collectors in chatrooms!
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think if he simply dropped a word from his statement it would be quite acceptable:

all those wild n crazy colors are toning!

Simple, elegant and accurate! image

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think was Karl is trying to say...albeit subtly...is that you can't define what is AT.

1) Chemically enhanced? Putting my Kennedy's in a Dansco holder could be considered chemically enhanced. So what?

2) Intent? I'm not sure...did I intend to put the Kennedy's in a holder to tone. Yup!

3) Financial gain? Who cares what a previous owners' financial gain was?

I'll say it again. Buy what YOU like. Pass on what you do NOT like. end of story.

jom
  • Options
    LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭

<< <i>w/ folks like the coin-dr, the reason they make everyone so upset is because the focus is on the wrong thing, ie. whether toning is "artificial" or not. the real focus ought to be whether it was done for profit motive or not. there IS a difference >>

The CoinDr, if he truly is one, is not doing anything illegal is he? Is he not in the business of giving what the market wants and is currently willing to pay a premium for, a toned coin? There will always be stupid people like me that pay a premium for toned coins. Until that ceases, Coin Dr-type people will always be around to gleefully produce these enhanced pieces.

IMO, PCGS, NGC and others should just stick to sound academics; tried and true grading principles based primarily on the fundamental aspects of a coin WITHOUT taking toning into consideration. Only grade imperfections/wear on a coin that were put in place AFTER the planchett was struck. Leave toning out of the grading process altogether, and slab any toned coin, AT or otherwise, that does not intentionally or unintentionally hide possible surface defects. That way, any premiums realised on toned coins just because they have been slabbed will be non-existant, which in-turn will not facilitate a breeding ground of scrupulous Coin Dr's; who's soul intent of profit in this market is to artificially create "value" to a coin.
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    Coin Dr canceled my bids on 5 of his eBay auctions then ended the auctions!

Be happy. Let's look at CoinDR's impressive "enhancement" work. 7 slabbed coins for sale with "his work". 1 Accugrade. 1 NTC. 2 PCI. 1 ANACS damaged/net grade slab. 1 ANACS slab containing a $2 coin. 1 NGC slab containing a mint set toned Franklin. I am impressed!

Wow CoinDR you are amazing. You slipped your work by ACG, NTC, & PCI. 3 master services.

You're a second rate toner that all the services catch. You've come a long way from putting silver Ikes in wet paper bags and sticking them into your oven, but you're still not good. Have a friend ask them about your work. Amateur stuff. Stop acting like you are some master toner. You are a joke in the coin world. Get a life and take a freakin shower.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some 100 relatively stable elements which can combine many billions of different
    ways under many different infinite ranges of conditions. So a few coin doctors have found
    a few or maybe a few dozen different ways to tone coins- - So what? There are a whole lot
    more that no one will ever find or won't be aware of it when they do. Coins are made in sig-
    nificant numbers. They are ubiquitous. They are exposed to many different conditions both
    in circulation and in our collections. It should certainly come as no surprise that the highly re-
    active metal of which they are made should sometimes begin reacting with the chemicals and
    conditions to which they are exposed.

Intent is a difficult thing to guage and is always irrelevant outside of a court of law. What can
    it matter if the intent of something is to improve the lot of the downtrodden or to improve the
    conditions of the masses if it's effect is to kill the young and old alike? How can it matter in the
    long or the short run? If a man tries to destroy a coin by tossing it in the garbage but it is later
    found as a toned monster, how can the intention affect the look of the coin? Why should it
    affect the price? How are we to keep track of everything that happens to every coin in exsist-
    ence.

These coins are not being toned to get the premium that people pay for attractive toning. They
    are being toned to bump up an MS-63 to an MS-65 by hiding it's defects under toning or by
    making these defects less obvious. Any further premium is just gravy.

Surely a premium for an attractive coin is always justified even when it's AT'ed. But a realization
    has to be made that toning shouldn't raise the grade of a coin and that most coins which have
    toning too dark to properly grade are probably not attractive under the toning. If they were attrac-
    tive the the coin was more likely to have been dipped when you could still tell. And coin doctors
    have little incentive to work on a gem.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    If you want some toned coins do what I do,

bury them under a tree with some fresh mushrooms for a few months.

The sulfur from the mushrooms and the tannins from the tree ,

will do a real number on your coins. Bearimage
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tried that one Bear. You'll get more vibrant colors if you wait for full moon.
    Probably has to do with the tidesimage
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Nice Bear!!!

You are a Coin Dr that I can trust. Are you a part of an HMO?image
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone
    I just wanted to say that I have many beautifully toned coins but I can't believe they were AT for profit.......I never paid much for the majority of them. I do have one here that I paid $200 but the date coincides with the later 1940 US mint set cardboard holders. I guess colors that have a neon effect on a coin would be suspicous. Or some oddball color that would be impossible to duplicate under normal conditions. That could possibly be the line between AT and original. The
    question raised about a coins toning would be, What do you think caused that coin to tone like that. It's likely if the answer is not a common or easy one or if someone who has had extensive training in that area has some doubts, then that coin will most likely get AT'd. One part is science while the other is fiction, whatever outweighs the other wins.......it's like flipping a coin.....send a coin with questionable toning in 10 times and see what happens. Better yet, send in 10 coins 5 times each and see what happens.

And sorry. I can't do it.....must be getting old....

Leo image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    Yes avoid the Christmas rush, get you orders in now for your

genuine, natural AT coins. Dr Bear was trained at the Harvard school of CreativeToning.

We are now accepting orders ,please state the colors you want . Use Crayola Crayons as

the color standard, as those are the colors we use.We give you an absolute guarantee,

that your coin will retain its round shape and metal content. If you wish your AT coins to be

graded by either PCGS or NGC we send you a prayer rug to make your wishes known

to the great collector upstaires. Regards Dr Bearimage
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Hey Dog,

Gotta link to those auctions? I'd love to see his "work"...

Andy
    We are finite beings, limited in all our powers, and, hence, our conclusions are not only relative, but they should ever be held subject to correction. Positive assurance is unattainable. The dogmatist is the only one who claims to possess absolute certainty.

First POTD 9/19/05!!

• Options

<< <i>Ann A. Conda >>

Hey Adrian,

There is a drag queen that entertains in my area named Anna Conda.

Andy imageimage
    We are finite beings, limited in all our powers, and, hence, our conclusions are not only relative, but they should ever be held subject to correction. Positive assurance is unattainable. The dogmatist is the only one who claims to possess absolute certainty.

First POTD 9/19/05!!

• Options
    Now Russ we all have to be on our best behavior

because Clank is watching and writing!!!!!!!
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Android. Some work huh? >>

Yeah, Dog, you going to the trouble of posting all those individual URLs sure was.image

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    This the stuff this coin doctor purports to work on. What a joke, he claimed he worked on high graded already toned coins. Like I said before if anyone buys this guys load of cow patties let them go listen to the pied piper of hamelin too. This is pathetic. He must of pulled those auctions after discovering they would give him away.
  • Options
    Yuck....

From what I can see from the microscopic pictures (go figure), they are awful.

Andy image

First POTD 9/19/05!!

• Options
    <<Now Russ we all have to be on our best behavior

because Clank is watching and writing!!!!!!!>>

Bear, Clank has watched and written, so everybody can knock themselves out.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    As the rulers of ancient Egypt said," So let it be written, so let it be done.'
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    PHEW!!!! I was worried you weren't catching this stuff!image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Thanks DOG for the links.

OK, now I'm really pissed.

This guy (COinDr) has the nerve to be denigrating to every member of this forum and all he does is sells flea market garbage on ebay. In fact, if that is a sample of his work then he does not even come close to measuring up to his pompous, arrogant attitude.

Come on CoinDr, run the chemistry by me. I think that I can handle it. Gee, do you even know anything about the chemistry that you are using to produce such fine works of art? I think that you are a fraud of the worst type. In fact I can't believe that I am even wasting my effort typing this message to your sorry self.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file