Home U.S. Coin Forum

I hate 10 day auctions!

Browsing through ebay just now and much to my delight I see the exact coin I need to fill the very last hole in my Franklin set. Been looking for over a year now for the right one although it's a date that's frequently encountered. Looks clean, original and exactly what I've been looking for. Even in an NGC holder so I'll be able to get it for less than if it was PCGS. image The best of all possible worlds. I've been waiting so long I have been considering compromising on a lower graded piece.

Pull up the auction and my delight turned to dismay as I see "9 days remaining". Nine days! I can't wait that long! I do dislike 10 day auctions, they are pure torture and are a great disservice. I strongly advise all sellers to avoid this option and use Buy It Now instead. image

No I won't post a link, I want this one all for myself. image

Let's see, 9 days, 11 hours 43 seconds.....

Comments

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    those listings turn me off too. I don't want to see it in my "watching" section or my "bidding" section for more than 6 or 7. I generally don't bother with them at all. I think ebay has them solely to soak an extra nickel out of people on listing fees. (or is it a dime?)
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear you. As a seller I like to put up 5 day auction to appease my coin hungry buyers! I hate it when sellers don't have a buy it now for that perfect coin. Especially at a price below what it is worth!!image

In some series, you just know it is going to be a slugfest to get the coin you want! Who needs that?

Tyler
  • ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554
    ALthough I typically use 7 day for the exposure, running 5 day auctions works quite well. Cuts out a lot of the dead time and the results don't seem to suffer.

I hate it when sellers don't have a buy it now for that perfect coin. Especially at a price below what it is worth!!

Yeah, what's up with that!
  • ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Okay, don't tell us. But you better promise to when the auction is over. In nine.... long.... excruciating.... boring.... did I bid on something?..... days........ zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    I am sorry to say I like using 10 day auctions as a seller. I usually start them Thursday, Friday or Saturday...that way I get two weekend exposures. But I understand, I have having to wait, but I just put it up under my watching list and wait. You may also consider if there are no bids or even if there are, asking the seller to end it early if you meet his desired price for the coin.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • I agree on the 10 day auction. The only problem with "BIN" is that the Seller runs the risk of a Zero/minus Zero deadbeat hitting his BIN. Once that happens - the Seller is married to the deadbeat. NOT GOOD.

matteproof
    Remember Lots Wife
  • You've been waiting over a year though, nine days can't be too bad. Now you have time to decide how high you are willing to go on the coin. I hope you get it.
    A 1943 copper Lincoln will still only buy a gumball out of the machine, but you can purchase the machine and the store with that same cent.
  • I like the 10 day auction if Im selling..... if Im buying I hate it.

Waltimage
  • SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I hate 10 day auctions for cheap coins! Really...... a 10 day auction for a $100.00 (or less) coin? Need a $500 limit on 10 day auctions!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    If it's something I REALLY want, I don't mind the wait. Sometimes the wait from sending payment to receiving the coin is less, but seems longer.
    Mark
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I think 10 day ones aren't a big deal. It gives those sellers who cannot afford to buy ebay's special auction listing services more time to get regular exposure.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patience, grasshopper. B)

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only use 10 day auctions as a seller. The longer the exposure, the better. I would hate to lose out on some money because a potential customer searched for a coin the day after a seven day auction ended.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't sold in quite some time but I remember even eBay, a number of years ago, mentioned that buyers might not like waiting that long and it was something to consider when selling.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2018 8:54AM

Me too I hate it both as buyer and seller

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this thread was a little older @RogerB would be digging it out of some archive.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe 10 day Auction is the default setting and included in your subscription. Setting a buy it now feature sometimes is a difficult task. If you set it too high, it is a turn off, too low and you leave money on the table. I am with you on the waiting. I end up usually going after a few similar auctions, only to win the least favorite of the bunch.
    @Ms70 I have not listed in a while either. I feel the fever coming soon.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Third World Problems"

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

A ten day auction is ridiculous, I don't even buy green bananas because I might be dead before they're ripe.

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I you in “regular auctions,” ten days would be a really short wait. Usually it’s two or three weeks.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    "Third World Problems"

I think you meant "First World Problems".

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP last active in 2012? Thanks for the dredge CS.

• philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

There should be “resurrect old threads day” only 4 times per year, on designated days. It really throws me. We are interacting with people who are not even here anymore!

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2018 5:52PM

Simply wasting our time with these old threads.

• DDODDO Posts: 44 ✭✭

It buys you more time to earn what you are planning to spend. Good luck!

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

10 days?

That's NOTHING.

I've been waiting 16 years to find out if he won the auction! ;)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

16 yrs old thread

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2018 4:58PM

Goodness gracious, pitchfork bearers, the subject is still relevant.

On better coins I preferred the 10 day auctions. Start them on a Friday and with the Monday end, one had two weekends of exposure. 7 days were fine for the more common stuff and 3-5 on bullion.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DDO said:

16 yrs old thread

Three day old forum member. Are you back, Mr. Olay?

:*

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2018 5:07PM

This thread is from 2002. You know it is dated because there are no more auctions on Ebay, just inflated retail prices. I actually commented on it back in 2002. My comments are still just as interesting and humorous reading them 16 years old. :)

• jomjom Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tonelover was a pretty good guy. He was in the business for awhile back east but has since moved on. He had some really nice SLQs and Roosevelt dimes in his set. Not sure if he still has them....whatever the case. It's fun to see an old thread...

jom

edited October 25, 2018 1:51AM

:o

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file