Home U.S. Coin Forum

Very Rare NEWP - GTG

Comments

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭

@PeakRarities said:

@HillbillyCollector said:
    Dang, Dan!
    At least say if anyone ones in the ballpark!😳😉

Some of you absolutely nailed it, others are out in space 😂.

At least we know then that is isn't a Gem 65.

• DDRDDR Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my area of expertise at all, but I'll say VF-35.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll be surprised if the coin grades other than 40 or 45. And below 35 or above 50 would be stunning.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• mattnissmattniss Posts: 673 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the XF40 camp. Love to see it!

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know squat on how to grade these, but I have been thinking 45 since I saw the pics.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

45, could be 35-50.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU50

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea of the grade but it sure is a great piece of history, congrats!

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going with 40, but wouldn't be surprised if it's higher than that.

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. It is a great backstory I agree. I believe I read here on the boards that the dies still exist at the Oregon Historical Society.

A little dirty, great coin.

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

First thought from the pictures is a 35.

First thought from the video is details damaged (both sides) and cleaned

@1madman said:

I’m telling you, you’re mad, man. Oops, I meant you’re one mad man (1madman).

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

This must be one of those special coins that will straight grade even if they look like they’ve been in the dirt for 150 years.
    Nice find B)

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:

Specifically, what appears as damage to you?

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PeakRarities said:

@1madman said:

Specifically, what appears as damage to you?

Rims look as if they’ve been in a vice (unevenness). And I’m not in love with the pitting in & around the center words on the reverse. It’s what I’d call hammer & chisel style hits where they look intentionally done, then the coin circulates where it tries to blend them back into the planchet.

It was almost like I was looking at a completely different coin when I watched the video. I haven’t seen one of these coins in a while, so I can’t remember if planchet flaws are the norm.

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd expect nothing less from you Dan, job well done, again. I'd say 42.5 but that's not a thing so 40+ but that's not a thing either so I'll just go with 40.

• HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PeakRarities
    So, something that’s been bugging me all day.
    Is this ‘Beaver’ part of Peak’s inventory?😉

@HillbillyCollector said:
    @PeakRarities
    So, something that’s been bugging me all day.
    Is this ‘Beaver’ part of Peak’s inventory?😉

Sadly, NO. Any coins I post in the US coin forum are part of my collection, inventory will only be posted on the BST unless there's extenuating circumstances where a discussion would be in the best interest of the forum.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

@TomB said:
    It's gorgeous!

As an aside, did you know that our own @dcarr made some somewhat similarly struck pieces (beaver side) using 1849 eagles?

As a matter of fact, I did not! Thank you for the enlightenment, and as a result, I just found two different Dcarr Beaver pieces on ebay. They were interesting enough for me to buy them, and I went to make an offer before I realized it was one of our own, and subsequently made a deal for both of them with him on the forum. I'll show them off once theyre in hand, Thanks Tom!

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very attractive coin - congrats! :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

I own those @dcarr beaver pieces as well and thought that it might be good to get the two of you together. Glad it worked out!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a guess at 40

• anablepanablep Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll guess 35. It’s a beauty!

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

@PeakRarities said:
    This is fun 😅, I'm going to let it go until tomorrow afternoon before I do the reveal.

It is tomorrow afternoon.

What is the grade?

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2024 1:59PM

It's an XF. I'll take that broad target.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2024 2:01PM

[Checking the secret "Rarity Points Memorandum" to see how many extra points this is supposed to get just because it is rare]

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess of what NGC graded it…53

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang Dan, look at you diving right into the beaver!

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF40

When in doubt, don't.
  • knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

35….with a CAC green bean…😉

• jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grew up and lived most of my life in the Portland, OR area. I remember seeing these in the Redbook when I was a kid and fantasizing about finding one metal detecting! It's always been a dream coin for me and if someday I can afford one, it's one that I would love to add to my collection. Unfortunately I am terrible at grading these as my initial inkling was F15, but I have a strong feeling it is low and would move my guess up to VF35 - XF40. Based on the video and the inherent strike and the polling of the audience, my adjusted grade seems like it would fit much better, so XF40 final answer! Stunning coin by the way! I'd hope to someday get a chance to image it. :wink:

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2024 3:06PM

I personally love its history, and its design as well as would love to own an example but I can never seem to pull the trigger because they come so darn beat up and fugly. I just have to have a gorgeous beaver and luckily I do but that is another topic

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2024 3:20PM

I have never shopped for one of these. Going by the pieces in The Red Book, it looks like they got a lot of circulation add wear and were not well struck.

Even if the dies were not very good, I don't see any mint surface on this piece.

I looked a "Coin Facts." They have an MS-62 displayed, and it has quite a bit of detail. Their "EF-45" is way over graded if it started out looking like the MS-62.

So, I think we have "the slab grade" and the real grade situation.

The slab grade is probably EF-40.

My grade would be Fine to VF.

Rarity should not lower grading standards, but we all know that it does.

Here's the Coin Facts link.

https://pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1849-5-oregon/images/10288

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • It's a beaver that's been around and has seen some use, but was not initially struck hard.

XF40

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are going to smother the cat.

@DocBenjamin said:

@PeakRarities said:
    This is fun 😅, I'm going to let it go until tomorrow afternoon before I do the reveal.

What is the grade?

It isn't tomorrow afternoon - it's today's afternoon. Tomorrow afternoon is never here today. >:)

• @MFeld said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@PeakRarities said:

What is the grade?

It isn't tomorrow afternoon - it's today's afternoon. Tomorrow afternoon is never here today. >:)

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TrickleCharge said:

@MFeld said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@PeakRarities said:

What is the grade?

I believe he posted that on the 6th. Today is the 7th. Yesterday‘s tomorrow is today. ;)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

"The grade will come out, Tomorrow..."

https://youtu.be/qYf1eieCC30

• @Walkerfan said:

@TrickleCharge said:

@MFeld said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@PeakRarities said:

What is the grade?

I believe he posted that on the 6th. Today is the 7th. Yesterday‘s tomorrow is today. ;)

Haha yes that's possible. Thankfully it's not February 2nd at least. :D

Recall TDN resubmitting Dollars that he thought were over graded.

So Dan, do you keep it in the current holder or send the piece in for reconsideration?

@Coinscratch said:
    I was way off, but now I’m an expert in grading beaver. Thank you Dan. 😎

Thats what it's all about, glad you were able to learn something from it. 😀

There's one very important factor to consider for grading these, and I believe It was stated by @Crypto in this thread. Not even so much for Beavers specifically, but for all Pioneer in general. You have to give extra weight to, and grade the coin primarily by its luster and surfaces, and try not to get too hung up on high point flatness.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file