Home U.S. Coin Forum

Very Rare NEWP - GTG

PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tis is an issue that has eluded me for the past couple years. The Oregon Exchange $5 is quite rare (High R-5), and has one of the most fascinating backtories of all Pioneer Gold. About 6,000 coins were struck, give or take, and less than 1% survive today. Of the ones that did survive, the majority of them are damaged, repaired, or otherwise mutilated, which makes finding a problem-free original example a tall task. I had an opportunity to buy a drop dead gorgeous AU-58 CAC a while ago, but sadly the price was beyond my reach. I passed on several others within my price range because of issues or overall lack of appeal.

Finally a problem-free piece within my price range made its way to my hands for review, and I didn't hesitate to write a check then and there. The coin is straight graded by NGC, and I figured it would be fun to do a GTG before I try to do anything with it. After the reveal, I'll add my subsequent analysis of the coin and some more information, but let's see how the forum grades pioneer gold.

"The news of the discovery of gold in California reached the Oregon Territory in late July 1848. That news was confirmed in Oregon City, seat of Clackamas County, on August 9 of that year, when the brig Henry docked with gold dust, arriving from San Francisco, and by October more than two-thirds of the men in Oregon had departed to seek treasure in the gold fields of California. The Oregon Spectator, founded in 1846, one of the first newspapers west of the Mississippi River, was forced to stop publishing in 1848 "because its printer, with 3,000 officers, lawyers, physicians, farmers and mechanics were leaving for the gold fields." (Kagin, Private Gold Coins and Patterns of the United States.) By spring of the following year, gold dust had almost entirely replaced beaver and other fur pelts as the primary medium of exchange, although it traded at a substantial discount to silver coins (when available) and to its value at the Philadelphia Mint. Miners were losing money.

Against this backdrop, the Oregon Exchange Company was formed, with the express purpose of weighing and stamping gold. Although Oregon was officially declared a territory of the United States on March 3, 1849 -- rendering any plan to coin gold clearly unconstitutional -- several prominent residents determined to proceed with the plan. The surnames of those residents were Kilborn, Magruder, Taylor, Abernethy, Willson, Rector, Gill, Campbell, and Smith. Their initials K. M. T. A. W. R. G. S. appear around the rim of the five dollar gold pieces, which also picture a beaver on a log and a laurel wreath. In error, the initials T.O. (rather than O.T., for Oregon Territory) were stamped on the obverse. The five dollar contains the reverse legend OREGON EXCHANGE COMPANY around the periphery, with 130 G. / NATIVE GOLD. / 5 D. in the center. The initials of two men were omitted from the ten dollar pieces struck later, and the T.O. was corrected to O.T.

The gold coinage was unalloyed with silver or copper, and succeeded in raising the price of gold dust from $12 to $16 as the pieces circulated. Alloy was purposely omitted to ensure that the pieces would be accepted regardless of variances in the purity of gold dust, but their inherent softness caused them to suffer in contact with the harder alloyed gold coinage from California -- and their higher intrinsic value caused them to soon be melted.The fives were struck to the extent of 6,000 pieces, along with 2,850 of the tens."

-Heritage Auctions Archives

https://player.vimeo.com/video/1006808292

Founder- Peak Rarities
Website
Instagram
Facebook

Comments

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please utilize the Vimeo link below the two pictures, its a short video, but should aid in making a determination about the grade.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

@lermish said:

Great reference, some of my favorite movies of all time!

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

@lermish, I would have bet my net worth that someone would post that meme. Glad you got to claim it! 🤣

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• DrewUDrewU Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

XF-45. Cool coin!!!

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PeakRarities said:
    @lermish, I would have bet my net worth that someone would post that meme. Glad you got to claim it! 🤣

It's obligatory and cliche at this point but it still makes me laugh..I couldn't help myself 😂

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭

VF 25

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grade this coin ICGP - I Can't Grade Pioneer.

Fantastic look to it though, as you surely know! I liked it the first time I saw it.

Coin Photographer.

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really neat coin. VF30?

• goldengolden Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

30 NGC , 25 at PCGS.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, VF35.

• ToreyTorey Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Wow, nice!
    XF40

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought was 25. But Pioneer gold is graded on a curve in three dimensions so who knows.
    Great pickup.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• KoveKove Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭

XF40

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF35

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful piece and great educational write up

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2024 10:02PM

VF 20

Coins & Currency
  • MoparmonsterMoparmonster Posts: 213 ✭✭✭✭

Very interesting history! I grew up and lived in Oregon City (lovely town) for 28 years. Abernathy is a well known name there. Haven’t heard of the others. Cool coin! I am gonna have to go against everyone and say G6 since the rim seems worn into the coin a bit but maybe that’s strike?? Either way, it’s a lovely looking piece.

• HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful DD!
    45-50cac.

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:
    I grade this coin ICGP - I Can't Grade Pioneer.

Fantastic look to it though, as you surely know! I liked it the first time I saw it.

Alex hit the nail on the head. I don't think I have ever seen a GTG with such varied responses, ranging from G6 to AU50.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's gorgeous!

As an aside, did you know that our own @dcarr made some somewhat similarly struck pieces (beaver side) using 1849 eagles?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF20. That coin spent some time in commerce so I assume it was well accepted by merchants, bar tenders, etc.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

25/30

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful pickup. If I were to venture a guess, VF 25

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a gold aficianado, but on its looks I first thought vf25, but seems I'm a little low on gold gtg's so I'll venture vf30. Nice pickup for you.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great looking example, Dan!
    I’ll go with XF40.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Gold!
    Maybe a 35 ?

It's all about what the people want...

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very tough call. Grading becomes more problematic given the small surviving population… graded or raw. And this becomes a factor given the subjective nature of grading. The fields look above average and for that reason alone, I see the grade floor at 35. There is obvious wear but the real question in my mind is the quality of the strike for the issue. I have not seen enough of these to really opine one way or the other. From just looking at the coin, it seems probable that the high points and detail were just never fully struck. I like the coin for what it is and not the holder that it may be in.

My grading probability analysis is as follows: 25% shot @VF35 35% shot @40 and 40% shot @45. So in my mind it is a coin flip between 40 and 45. I like the coin so I would likely grade it 45 but the probability analysis supports an outcome @40. Again a subjective tough call and I would feel better if I had a history of seeing more of these. And no I did not bother research images of the surviving population before offering my thoughts.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

• SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin.

• calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

outstanding ... 35

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it as a 40 although I see why people think VF. A VF wouldn’t show much beaver fur ;)

As for the NGC grade maybe 45 or 50

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭✭

Never seen one before. Beaver has what seems like 50% of his detail and most coins with 50% detail in the ANA guide book would be in the 35/40 range. best guess I got. James

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr_Spud

• SimonWSimonW Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know nuthin' about these, but I'll take a wag for XF40!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55

This is fun 😅, I'm going to let it go until tomorrow afternoon before I do the reveal.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang, Dan!
    At least say if anyone ones in the ballpark!😳😉

• JCH22JCH22 Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

Off topic of grade but the engraver sure had a colorful life, and death....

CAMPBELL, Hamilton (12 Jun 1812-12 Jun 1863 ): m'd 05 Feb 1835 BIDDLE, Harriet; came to Oregon on the ship Lausanne with his wife and one child via Cape Horn with the Jason Lee party; died in Mexico; burial location unknown

"Artisan and mission worker, was born in Virginia, the son of Robert Campbell. In 1835 he married Harriet B. Biddle, of Virginia, and with one daughter came to Oregon on the ship Lausanne, becoming a member of the Willamette Mission above Champoeg in 1840. Campbell assisted in building the 'Parsonage', had charge of the Mission Indian School, and had control of the stock, which he bought when the Mission was discontinued, thus gaining the sobriquet 'Cow' Campbell. In 1849 he engraved the dies used in coining the 'beaver' money, in 1854 he engaged in the photographic business in Corvallis and later in San Francisco. Campbell went to Mexico in 1862, becoming Superintendent of Mines in Guaynas, where he was murdered by bandits."

Dictionary of Oregon History edited by Corning p. 41

• AllentramAllentram Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Well, since I live here in Oregon, and just a few miles from Oregon City, I feel obligated to participate. My WAG is VF25.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoyed reading the history of the coin and the engraver, thank you for taking the time to post. Another beautiful pioneer Dan. I’m going to go 45/50 based on the crispness of some of the features and the overall condition of the surfaces. I’m an optimist.

@JCH22 said:
    Off topic of grade but the engraver sure had a colorful life, and death....

CAMPBELL, Hamilton (12 Jun 1812-12 Jun 1863 ): m'd 05 Feb 1835 BIDDLE, Harriet; came to Oregon on the ship Lausanne with his wife and one child via Cape Horn with the Jason Lee party; died in Mexico; burial location unknown

"Artisan and mission worker, was born in Virginia, the son of Robert Campbell. In 1835 he married Harriet B. Biddle, of Virginia, and with one daughter came to Oregon on the ship Lausanne, becoming a member of the Willamette Mission above Champoeg in 1840. Campbell assisted in building the 'Parsonage', had charge of the Mission Indian School, and had control of the stock, which he bought when the Mission was discontinued, thus gaining the sobriquet 'Cow' Campbell. In 1849 he engraved the dies used in coining the 'beaver' money, in 1854 he engaged in the photographic business in Corvallis and later in San Francisco. Campbell went to Mexico in 1862, becoming Superintendent of Mines in Guaynas, where he was murdered by bandits."

Dictionary of Oregon History edited by Corning p. 41

I don’t consider that to be off topic, thanks for the additional historical info.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice piece, 20 for me.

@lermish helped me see this one below the surface, too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file