Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sizeable losses for nice Fairmont coins tonight.

2»

Comments

• JCH22JCH22 Posts: 104 ✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2024 5:14PM

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2024 2:05PM

I don't know if ending on a holiday is necessarily good or bad. The big auction houses sometimes have auctions on or near holidays.

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2024 2:02PM

‘’I don't know if ending on a holiday is necessarily good or bad. The bid auction houses sometimes have auctions on or near holidays.’’

I have little doubt, Ian may say that ending auctions on various holiday weekends may result in exceptionally strong prices realized. I know first hand that to be the case. Which is why I commented right at the outset that this was simply an unusual holiday weekend auction where, in my opinion, a % of bidders were “MIA”.

I can present myriad information to support this position as I personally bought and sold “five figures” of coins on both the buying side and the selling side on Sunday.

Imho, collectors (especially here over the years) love looking for justifications and excuses (after the fact) why “classics” performed poorly (e.g. the true quality was bad on this or that, the bidders got into a bidding war years ago and so the prices were never right in the first place, and on and on). These excuses are rarely, if ever, used to explain away a modern coin that sold weakly as it is assumed by many (most?) moderns simply perform poorly over time, while “classics” perform nicely over a 10+ year horizon. Let me be the first to tell you (again in my humble opinion), this line of reasoning may prove problematic to that portion of the collector base who placed their “blind faith” in the “10 year process for classic coins” (especially buying these “classics” without the keen eye of a classic coin dealer expert helping them select quality specimens).

Watch for the excuses as some of the “classics” possibly perform poorly over the next few years. Enough said.

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the end you have to have at least 2 people willing to pay "full price" or better for a coin for it to realize a fair market value and sometimes that's a tall order. There's only so much attention a collector can pay to all of the auctions out there and items in them.

I'm curious if anyone has any or is aware of any auto bidding or sniping programs that work with GC?

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PeakRarities said:

@skier07 said:

@PeakRarities said:

Many of these coins were relatively uninteresting dates in my opinion, though the 73-s is arguably THE nicest and most original example. There’s two in 58cac, one of them is ok, but this one is fantastic for the grade.

The 1873-S Fairmont $10 is a very rare and outstanding coin. When SB auctioned the coin in 2022 the CAC pop was only one and it’s now two which can’t be helping the price. I can’t find an image of the new CAC coin. Type 2 with motto $10s are not as popular as Type ones. Between Fairmont saturating the market and economic uncertainty in an election year collector/dealers may be more conservative buyers moving forward.

The other 58cac is currently for sale in RCW’s inventory for 43k, but I MUCH prefer the fairmont example.

I have no idea what the two pcgs 61 examples look like, but the PCGS 62 was the Bass specimen that was found in Europe. I grade that one AU58 as well, and I think the fairmont coin is head and shoulders the best out of the bunch.

Fairmont-
    https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-VJZVF/1873-s-liberty-head-eagle-au-58-pcgs-cac

Bass coin (overgraded)
    https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/1-1DLNL/1873-s-liberty-eagle-ms-62-pcgs

Other 58cac (not for me, too bright)
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/176326098306?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=HRL8pQrCTfC&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=vNwu7E9LSDO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Thanks for the location of the other CAC 73-S. There’s no comparison between the two. The Fairmont is far superior.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file