Home U.S. Coin Forum

Countermarked 1795 & 1799 American Dollars in British Royal Mint Museum

P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just returned from two weeks in the U.K., where I visited the famous Tower of London, where the British Royal Mint was located for ~500 years beginning in the year 1279 (wow). There is a small museum there with a few rooms of coins, original dies, and machinery. In one of the display cases, I was surprised to see two 18th century US dollars:

(these are my own photos)

The display simple stated "Countermarked American Liberty dollars, on load from the Bank of England Museum"

Curious about how these came to be counterstamped by the British government so soon after the Revolution, I searched Google and this forum history to see what I could find. Lo and behold, there's a thread circa 2017 showing a different 1799 dollar with the same counterstamp.

There's some discussion about the counterstamped coins in the thread, and @BillJones had a few comments including his own photo of the 1799 dollar from the same museum. Why were these counterstamped? In short, there was a scarcity of coinage in Britain at the time, and foreign coins (mostly Spanish Reales) were made legal circulating tender—evidently, a few American dollars made their way over and met the same fate. Just five or six are known, so they are quite rare.

Here's a short post I found on e-sylum with photos of the same coins:

I also found a writeup about a 1799 counter marked dollar that was owned by Norweb. This one is different from the museum piece and the other 1799 dollar in the 2017 forum thread. And if anyone wants to go deep, there is a scholarly cited article on British counter marked dollars posted here.

Stacks sold a 1798 small eagle earlier this year for $120,000. Hilariously, they say the particular countermark is known as the "head of a fool on the neck of an ass". I guess there is some British history there that I'm not privy to. This 1798 small eagle is believed to be unique as a countermarked example.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-17B76R/great-britain-great-britain-united-states-of-america-dollar-5-shillings-nd-1804-geroge-iii-pcgs-ef-40

Anyway, I thought this was all pretty fascinating numismatic history; hope it's interesting to folks here. If anyone knows more about these, please add to the discussion.

Tower of London outer wall from the (now filled) moat

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

Comments

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always one of my favorites!
    Wasn't aware of the recent Stacks sale.. seems undervalued at $120k
    😄

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

A more refined chopmark. Very nice.

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fascinating post about an unknown event to most collectors ( myself at the top of the list). @POCKETCHANGE, thanks for the information and photos. Was at the British Museum and viewed their coin display, but somehow missed this one at the Tower.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

The British counter mark article is worth a read. There's pics of lots of die stamps at the end too. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2024 6:47AM
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

The popular poem at the time was:
    "To make the dollar of Spain
    for 5 shillings pass,
    stamp the head of a fool
    on the neck of an ass."
    :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    The popular poem at the time was:
    "To make the dollar of Spain
    for 5 shillings pass,
    stamp the head of a fool
    on the neck of an ass."
    :D

I have seen it with the first line simply

"To make a dollar..."

Either, or both, could be right.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChopmarkedTrades said:
    The British Museum also features a rare chopmarked Bust Dollar, donated to the museum in 199y by William Barrett:

Very cool. I went to the British Museum but didn’t come across this one. But, there was this huge 15th century hoard of gold coins, which was arguably more exciting:

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, I did come across a 1793 half cent and 1794 large cent at the British Museum, with the provenance attributed to this collector:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file