Home U.S. Coin Forum

Crazy Auction Results

13»

Comments

• coinshopcoinshop Posts: 93 ✭✭

Yeah a lot of these prices lately are absolutely through the goshdarn roof.. I haven't seen them this high in a while. Let's hope PM's correct soon so we can see at least the US Mint lower their darn premiums...

I just put it together from scratch. California Coins
    Vintage site: JayCoinShop.com (Both same stuff just different flavors?) #numismaticmetals
    Make some stupid offers now. https://collectorscorner.com/dealer/default.aspx?dealerId=1045&pt=1

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2024 4:04AM

@oreville said:

@Walkerfan said:
    @oreville You’re smart to hold tight. It’s likely the finest 1921P on the planet. We have

I was lucky enough to view in-person the entire Jack Lee collection of walkers in 1997 when he finally decided to sell the entire set off. The 1921 was far and away the best of his coins even nicer than his MS-68 late date walkers. This was 10 years BEFORE JA started CAC, this was the one coin he owned that I felt was a lifetime keeper.

One thing I was good at….. grading walkers. Funny as I cannot grade Franklin halves to save my life!

The last Baltimore show I attended in November 2022, I plucked a 1938 walker in PCGS OGH slab graded MS-63 at a reasonable price off the bourse floor, submitted it to CAC for a gold sticker.

Franklin Half Dollars are hard to grade because there are no general markers like “LIBERTY” to get you started and the portrait has very little detail in Mint State. A lot depends on surfaces which is a difficult skill to develop as a grader.

I have trouble with Standing Liberty Quarters. I am consistently too conservative, at least compared to the professional graders, with the low end AU and EF grades.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BarbercoinBarbercoin Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭

105.4% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Love it!

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barbercoin said:

105.4% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Love it!

As Abraham Lincoln once said, "You can believe everything you read on the internet."

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no proof to back up my supposition, but the similarities are striking.
    From the Fall of 2021 to the Fall of 2022 there was a marked "jump" in the bid prices for all 19th century coins. Grade didn't matter. Anything from beat up low grade coins to high grade CAC coins were through the roof. Then in the Spring of 2023 a group calling itself the Stephenville group started a series of auctions on Heritage.
    I was able to spot over 120 coins I had been blown away bidding on during that period. I was also able to win over half a dozen pieces, some for as little as 25% of what they had paid.
    Again. I have no proof but check auction prices on G.C and Heritage for that 21/22 period and you will find many "over the moon", highest ever prices paid. Until now again. James

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

The heart wants what the heart wants.

peacockcoins

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    The heart wants what the heart wants.

The extra $50 that means nothing to me in getting the Franklin I want is probably the same sentiment that the billionaire has paying $50,000 higher for the Early Half Eagle they want.

The other issue is time. If you’ve been searching for years for a coin ending the search not knowing when another coin of the same quality will be available may be the motivation to pay that extra $50 or $50,000.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • gorebelsgorebels Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    Great Collections has a 1998 $100 One-Ounce Platinum American Eagle PCGS MS-70 bullion coin at auction currently being bid at over $55,000 with buyer's premium with 4 days left.

This is crazy.

$55K for MS70.

+2.8% over melt for a slabbed MS69 on Stack’s weekly Precious Metals auction.

And you can’t tell the two apart with old eyes…

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gorebels said:

$55K for MS70.

Completely agree. And if you took that same platinum round out of the plastic, you would lose $53,000 instantly.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

@gorebels said:

$55K for MS70.

Completely agree. And if you took that same platinum round out of the plastic, you would lose $53,000 instantly.

That's assuming that you couldn't get it back into a 70 holder.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:

@DCW said:

@gorebels said:

$55K for MS70.

That's assuming that you couldn't get it back into a 70 holder.

That’s also assuming that the owner couldn’t find anyone willing to pay a premium to take a shot for a 70.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prices are definitely higher, but it’s hard for an underbidder to call a result “crazy” unless they themselves are known to bid crazy amounts. After all, they were willing to pay one increment less than the winner.

For a special coin, I'd happily pay one increment more than all the rational bidders. I just have to hope my underbidders are sane!

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142 said:
    It’s like George Carlin said about driving:

Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Another one from George
    You can't have everything.........where would you put it..............

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file