Home U.S. Coin Forum

1795 Dollar

PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many of you know me as a gold collector. So this recent newp might seem a little bit out of place. It was a leap for me, but one that I am very excited about.

In 2024 I've been trying to focus on fewer better coins. The collection is still centered on a core gold type set, but now with key additions to capture other iconic designs. I was drawn to an early dollar especially for the reverse small eagle, which is likely outside my budget in gold.

So anyway here is the coin! At first glance the surfaces of this 1795 $1 in XF45 look a pleasant steely grey. On closer inspection you can see deep toning, which I've done my best to capture in the close-up shots. It looks fantastically original, and in an old NGC slab in excellent condition. Although I am not an expert in this series, it's tough to imagine finding a nicer coin for the grade.

A huge thank you to John of CRO for providing the opportunity to own such a fantastic piece.

I think I'm looking for an early cent next. But wow it seems like I have a lot to learn!

Comments

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an OUTSTANDING looking Bust Dollar!! I agree with you, finding a nicer EF45 seems next to impossible for the series. WTG!!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's absolutely beautiful. What a nice addition to your collection.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coin!

All glory is fleeting.
  • lermishlermish Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely perfect look, great addition!!!

• CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a pretty piece of silver! Well done!

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I see a coin like this with some wear yet all the nice details it really makes me think of all the history behind it.
    Truly a beauty.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo

• CoinbertCoinbert Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

Really nice coin! Congratulations on an excellent purchase.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thats a keeper for sure.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• M4MadnessM4Madness Posts: 225 ✭✭✭✭

I don't currently collect that series, but I would have bought that one in a heartbeat if within my budget!

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    Thats a keeper for sure.

100%.
    I always wonder what is going through the (original) seller's mind when such a coin is let go of.

peacockcoins

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@gumby1234 said:
    Thats a keeper for sure.

100%.
    I always wonder what is going through the (original) seller's mind when such a coin is let go of.

Everything is for sale if the price is right.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@gumby1234 said:
    Thats a keeper for sure.

100%.

“I wonder if I should have dipped it?”
    😉
    Or more likely, “I’d sure like to get this one back someday”.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2024 10:48AM

I am thankful that people do let go of nice coins - It's tough enough out there!

I still have plenty of gold I'd love to pick up but it is painfully slow to find the right coins.

So glad I opened the aperture for this silver dollar, and maybe next an early cent! I will have to start another thread to get some tips for that very deep and confusing end of the numismatic pool that large cent collectors swim in.

Thanks all for the comments.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! Congrats!

• TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been wanting to buy a dollar from the 1700's as well, and I hope that when I do it looks just like yours.

Trade $'s
  • LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TennesseeDave said:
    I've been wanting to buy a dollar from the 1700's as well, and I hope that when I do it looks just like yours.

^^This^^

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be real happy with that being the collection to

• abbyme24abbyme24 Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

What a fantastic coin! It’s always a bit funny to me how scrawny the eagle looked on these early coins.

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

You aren't going to find a coin of this vintage with cleaner surfaces than this. I don't know what the coin looks like i hand, but NGC in the past has been more forgiving of deeply toned coins than other TPGs. It appears there are traces of mint luster in the protected areas of this coin.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done! Deserves its own tray…

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pedzola said:
    A huge thank you to John of CRO for providing the opportunity to own such a fantastic piece.

-

The coin is OK, but, more importantly, did you get a hat?

:wink:

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on a great buy. The coin looks original & fabulous!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

Truly beautiful...A very special coin....Enjoy it.

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Superb acquisition

• kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a lovely example, so hard to find them nice like that. Congratulations!

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding coin! While I have the 1795 Flowing Hair dollar, I’d be thrilled to have a coin such as yours to complete my pair.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is sweet looking and it has a way of grabbing you.

• markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome Dollar !!!!! 👍👍

• JonBrand83JonBrand83 Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! I

Jbknifeandcoin.com
    IG: jb_rarities

• goldengolden Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice.

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking early dollar.

Congrats on a great pickup.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow really great looking bust dollar. Congrats on the pickup!

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Bust Dollar :)

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

She's a beauty for sure. Someone must have put her away long ago and taken very good care of her. I like it a lot.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• raysrays Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, good detail for the 45 grade. Obviously, CAC liked it at 45.

Subjective, but I personally don’t prefer coins with that darker type of toning. Instead, I like toning such as found on this draped bust dollar graded 45 on the PCGS CoinFacts:

• raysrays Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abbyme24 said:
    What a fantastic coin! It’s always a bit funny to me how scrawny the eagle looked on these early coins.

For several reasons, coins with small eagle reverses are worth more, sometimes multiples more, than their heraldic eagle counterparts.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin has some very nice detail for an EF-45.

The 1795 Draped Bust Dollars are known in two varieties.

There is what is presumed to be first piece, with the bust of Liberty too far to the left. This piece is PCGS graded VF-35.

And there is the variety with the bust centered properly. This is NGC graded AU-53

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • DDRDDR Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin. I would love to own one like that. Congratulations.

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly a nice specimen. The first Bust dollar (BB-51, off-center bust). Actually, these are pretty common. But there are so many with problems and they typically come around as VF. A superb XF or AU is a very respectable coin for that issue. Nice!

I cataloged (so far) 229 certified of this one. 8 of them are UNC. The overall median grade is VF35. The average CIRC is VF30 and UNC is MS62. The highest graded I have seen is MS66.

(Funny, I just got, in the mail today, an XF of that same one. Mine has a broken planchet, a reverse lamination, and obverse adjustment marks. I like those crazy things and never see them as problem coins as they are as minted.)

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2024 7:37PM

Great coin. Excellent detail for XF45. However, it is not in the right holder. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file