Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

July Acquisitions...Show Your Sparklers

Comments

• STLKabongSTLKabong Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

@Cakes said:
    Gold diamonds? :D

Perhaps it's really Citrine (yellow quartz)!

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2024 7:45PM

@balco758 said:
    Freshly graded OPC Mays.

NICE front centering! I just don't understand why the ultra low population 73 OPC sell for less than Topps...yet the far more common 1983 OPC command more than the 83 Topps

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

• balco758balco758 Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on results
    Nice Schmidtty!

• RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:
    Just had a Vintage Value Bulk order hit. Not in hand but they're on the way. Tons of 7s/8s.
    I was hoping for an 8 on the Ryan and Schmidt but didn't happen.

Any half grades?
    If the Cey/Schmidt is a 7, why not 7.5 with that centering?
    Another example of half grades having no meaning.

Very surprised to see the Yount at an 8.
    I would have thought the edge chipping would have prevented any shot of anything over a 6.
    They seem to be more forgiving on tilted images of late.

• olb31olb31 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah the yount is a gift, in my opinion. the schmidt should be a 7.5. But hey, it's a start to me wanting to send in a couple.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

No half grades at all.

I was shocked that Yount got the 8 too. Going in I thought it was a 6 due to the chipping and tilt. I also got 8s on a Rice rookie, Lynn rookie and Hernandez rookie that are miles nicer than this one.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

That order shows the wild inconsistency we are seeing now. In average the grades are what they should be but individually they are head scratchers. That Schmidt is a beauty.

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭

I might be in the minority here, but I agree with the grade on the Schmidt based on the surface. That being said, I think it's a great looking card, but the 7 is fair. The Ryan is also fair with the centering and the slightest of tilts. The Yount is a bit of a puzzler, but I might have been staring at UFFDAH's Riddler card too long.

Super cool vintage order though.

Those are very cool. Some strange color choices for some teams but I would have tried to buy them too.

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice hit on the ‘68 Rose!

mint_only_pls

It's like Christmas in July for me. I had another Vintage sub hit today and was > @mintonlypls said:

Nice hit on the ‘68 Rose!

Thanks, but my favorite is the Casper. I was such a fan as a kid and I think that card is just one of the coolest football cards of all time. Centering killed me a little and I hoped it would sneak into a 9 but no such luck.

• mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2024 7:36PM

I’m building raw sets from 74-84. And in the condition I’m looking for, I know it will be nigh impossible to find the HOFers raw at this point. And in all honesty, I greatly prefer the visual presentation of the SGC holder. The white borders contrast better. The colors pop more. I think it can enhance a card’s visual appeal in ways PSA’s holder does not.

And @brad31 - how in the world is that Carew RC not in a 9 holder? Simply a stunning example.

So full of action, my name should be a verb.

Brad...

What a shopping spree at the National. Congrats on the pickups! My favorites are the Musial, Carew and Stargell RCs as well as the '63 Mays.

mint_only_pls

@1951WheatiesPremium sorry you were disappointed by the grades. Beautiful Mantles as always. Are those white marks on the back or are those just a function of the slab (assuming the latter).

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2024 6:16AM

@brad31 said:
    @1951WheatiesPremium sorry you were disappointed by the grades. Beautiful Mantles as always. Are those white marks on the back or are those just a function of the slab (assuming the latter).

Yes, it’s the latter. Thank you for the kind words; we all take it on the chin from time to time. It’s all good.

Yes - those are the famous Newton Rings. The plastic that keeps the item from sliding around is absolutely necessary with most of my order. PSA does a really great job slabbing the Jumbo items.

ETA: I had the wrong back for the Manny’s above. This is the correct one:

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:

Yes, it’s the latter. Thank you for the kind words; we all take it on the chin from time to time. It’s all good.

Yes - those are the famous Newton Rings. The plastic that keeps the item from sliding around is absolutely necessary with most of my order. PSA does a really great job slabbing the Jumbo items.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2024 12:01PM

delete duplicate

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 80.51% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.80% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)

@steel75 said:
    More shiny inserts.......

@steel75 said:
    More shiny inserts.......

ONE submission i got 3 shaq's atomic in 10. now you can only get 9's. it a shame.

@orioles93 said:
    Pickups from the National on Friday. Was able to find a few good deals. Was looking for a PSA 7 Kaat and Oliva rookie. Only found 1 of each, both were way overpriced.

i've got a 6.5 kaat if you are intrested.

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2024 2:53PM

@lwehlers said:

i have been looking to get this one for awhile now.

Love this one and the platinum parallel. Nice find!

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2024 2:55PM

@balco758 said:
    Added a few more 75's....I used to only want 9's and am now very satisfied to own newly graded 7-8's.

Nice Rice! Hard to find that centering in an 8!

edited July 28, 2024 9:01PM

Did Klu really have deltoids like that? Dang!

mint_only_pls
  • 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shadows!

Wow great cards my man. Very impressive. Were most of them purchased from one seller?

The three rookies - Musial, Carew and Stargell were from the same dealer. ‘49 Musial, all the ‘58s except Berra, the ‘57 Berra, ‘56 Ashburn were from the same dealer and the ‘63 Mays and ‘66 Yaz were from the same dealer. The rest were purchased individually from different tables.

That Thrawn is awesome.

• threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭

@brad31 Thanks!!! I was pretty happy to see that Gem show up in the grouping!!!

Nice to get some older Star Wars cards from a personal collection graded in the PSA 10 category!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.