June Acquisitions...No June Swoons!

13»

Comments

• Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 398 ✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    Had a nice 9, but just had to upgrade.

1986 Topps in high grade are just beautiful.

Was it an actual upgrade or do you still prefer the 9?
    That '86 Puckett is a fabulous card of that era when it's nice!

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Chicago1976 , I still need 11 for my team . Haven't really worked too hard on it though . Good luck on your last 5

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Snider!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    DoogsterDoogster Posts: 18 ✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Beautiful Snider!

Thank you! I waited a bit to find the right one and I’m happy with it

• Options
    PastaBoyPastaBoy Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

Picked these 2 sealed hobby boxes off BBCE this week, 2016 Wacky Packages MLB:

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an awesome Bench. Not sure I'd have the confidence to crack that one but it will be amazing after his sig on it.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bgr said:
    Thought I had a shot at 10/10 on this, but after I saw the secure scans of it, I was surprised it got a 9. Scratches on surface that I didn't pick up.

Not necessarily new, but a '68 Bench has been removed from it's PSA 8.5 prison and is ready for the 2024 NSCC.

I can't take credit for the preparation of the card. I'm not too confident this grades an 8.5 again so I don't think I'll be taking "top pop" here, but I would be very happy with a PSA 8.

Have an 8 already and looking to add a PSA 8.5 in the Bench rookie, so color me disappointed there is one less available on the market 😉

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭

It will be enhanced with the mark of a legend.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chicago1976 said:
    A really nice looking 1.5 for my team set. Looks like a light crease and faint pen marks on the back impacted the grade.

Ya gotta love those steel structures & beams... :)

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bgr said:

Also trying out some new software for post-processing my scanner images so that I don't have to manually modify them anymore. I think this looks pretty good (I chose the color to look best with both black and white card borders).

Curious what post processing work were you doing? Adding a background and combining the front and back images? Always love a good scanner conversation. 😀

I do like the color choice, but in the end I stick with black space since it seems to offset any color border on a card. Helps it pop a bit more.

• Options

@NGS428 said:

@bgr said:

Also trying out some new software for post-processing my scanner images so that I don't have to manually modify them anymore. I think this looks pretty good (I chose the color to look best with both black and white card borders).

Curious what post processing work were you doing? Adding a background and combining the front and back images? Always love a good scanner conversation. 😀

I do like the color choice, but in the end I stick with black space since it seems to offset any color border on a card. Helps it pop a bit more.

For my card scanner I use an Epson Perfection V850. I switched over to this scanner about 2 years ago, but it wasn't until earlier this year that I invested any time in learning it's capabilities and what settings enhance different cards.

I got distracted with Picture vs. Document modes and different lightning normalization techniques... for example, increasing the dynamic range by leaving the scanner lid open or even off, increasing the gamma setting to enhance color and texture contrast. In the end I stuck with the document mode as my starting point and I run my gamma at 1.8 for normal cards and 2.2 for shiny stuff. Instead of using an open scanner lid I leave it closed and adjust brightness in a post-processing step using a combination of scaling and shifting based on the color range produced in the output. I am using a 3x3 kernel for enhancing sharpness, but it's not quite right yet - it seems to make the text easier to read. I am just using a linear interpolation for resizing.

My goal is to enhance the corners, edges, and surface, while maintaining as much original integrity of the image as I can. I'm using OpenCV for this btw. It's a similar tool that I use to measure cards from online images.

I do mostly agree on the black background being best. The exceptions I find are blue bordered cards and of course black.

Here is a lower grade '71 which helps to show off how this highlights the areas of interest.

I am using EAST for text detection and I trained a simple CNN based on the different slab types for automated slab detection. I hate python, but for this type of stuff, opencv and pytorch... it's just all done for you so why not cheat.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bgr said:

@NGS428 said:

@bgr said:

>

For my card scanner I use an Epson Perfection V850. I switched over to this scanner about 2 years ago, but it wasn't until earlier this year that I invested any time in learning its capabilities and what settings enhance different cards.

I got distracted with Picture vs. Document modes and different lightning normalization techniques... for example, increasing the dynamic range by leaving the scanner lid open or even off, increasing the gamma setting to enhance color and texture contrast. In the end I stuck with the document mode as my starting point and I run my gamma at 1.8 for normal cards and 2.2 for shiny stuff. Instead of using an open scanner lid I leave it closed and adjust brightness in a post-processing step using a combination of scaling and shifting based on the color range produced in the output. I am using a 3x3 kernel for enhancing sharpness, but it's not quite right yet - it seems to make the text easier to read. I am just using a linear interpolation for resizing.

My goal is to enhance the corners, edges, and surface, while maintaining as much original integrity of the image as I can. I'm using OpenCV for this btw. It's a similar tool that I use to measure cards from online images.

I do mostly agree on the black background being best. The exceptions I find are blue bordered cards and of course black.

Here is a lower grade '71 which helps to show off how this highlights the areas of interest.

I am using EAST for text detection and I trained a simple CNN based on the different slab types for automated slab detection. I hate python, but for this type of stuff, opencv and pytorch... it's just all done for you so why not cheat.

Keep up the great work! I assume you read my scanning guide in my signature at some point. If not, check it out.

• Options

@NGS428 said:

@bgr said:

@NGS428 said:

@bgr said:

>

For my card scanner I use an Epson Perfection V850. I switched over to this scanner about 2 years ago, but it wasn't until earlier this year that I invested any time in learning its capabilities and what settings enhance different cards.

Keep up the great work! I assume you read my scanning guide in my signature at some point. If not, check it out.

I saw it now. Really nice guide. I noticed there was a possibly unsolved mystery there so I added my input on those shimmery nightmares!

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    I’m quite happy to add this into my collection of Mickey. Not in the best condition but not that easy to find anymore, either.

1968 Topps Posters - Complete Box

hey ya 51Wheaties...
    Your 68 Poster Box Kicks Ass... That's Just An Awesome Relic You Have..
    Way Too Cool...
    :)