Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What would happen if you dilute dipping solution and

Hi guys,

Suppose you had an XF coin that toned so much that it’s an ugly almost black toning with hints of blue and green.

Now suppose you took some dipping solution and diluted it with 10 parts water to one part solution. Then quickly dipped the coin.

Would it remove only the outer layers of the toning, making it more colorful, perhaps giving it the appearance it had…say…20 years ago?

Anyone try this? Using a diluted dip solution to strip only some of the toning?

Really enjoying collecting coins and currency again

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest

Comments

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

You need to be much more specific and detailed with your questions. What type of coin? What type of dipping solution?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    stevereecystevereecy Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Sterling silver. Jewelry cleaner. Anyone want to take one for the team and try this with a dark toned junk coin?

Really enjoying collecting coins and currency again

My currency "Box of Ten" Thread: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1045579/my-likely-slow-to-develop-box-of-ten#latest
  • Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2024 6:53PM

I wouldn't intentionally dilute a tub, maybe try it in a shallow dish. Once diluted you can't go back.
    I have some older e-Zest solution that has had some bullion dipped and I haven't been careful about not getting water in the dip.
    It's a little watered down and may not clean as quick.
    I dip different pieces and still get mixed results...you can always dip longer or a second/third time.
    I dunked a couple V nickels that were shadowed in dark spots and It did very little.
    I may hit them again with a stonger tub that I have.

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 213 ✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    If it is a circulated coin and is that dark I don't see it turning out well,,,,,,

Unless the goal is to have an XF (or lower) details coin. ;)

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the great majority of coins, I see this turning out poorly.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevereecy said:
    Hi guys,

Suppose you had an XF coin that toned so much that it’s an ugly almost black toning with hints of blue and green.

Now suppose you took some dipping solution and diluted it with 10 parts water to one part solution. Then quickly dipped the coin.

Would it remove only the outer layers of the toning, making it more colorful, perhaps giving it the appearance it had…say…20 years ago?

>
    First I will say that I agree with some of those above about this probably not working well. Also I can't image it looking like it did ...say...20 years ago.

To understand toning a little go to the below links. It will describe colors as they are associated with toning thickness.

This link need to page down through it and look for the color spectrum (charts).
    http://www.jhonecash.com/coins/tonedmorgans.asp

This link is more technical about the angle and thickness and stuff.
    http://www.jhonecash.com/research/toning_physics.asp

So when you dip a toned coin quickly (call it flash dip or whatever) it will remove a thin layer of the toning (and metal). The colors that are the thinnest will get removed faster or with less dip time. I have tested this on a kind of ugly album type toned coin / silver round and the center became or went back to silver color fairly quickly. The toning on an album type tone nearer to the rim is thicker.

On a dark toned silver bar or round (I don't recall) the dark tone dis/does come off slowly with each flash dip. As I recall I saw it change to a brown, then tan and finally had a chalky white color. This could be described as hazy. This hazy may or may not come off and may or may not come back later. But the dark color didn't come off evenly throughout. This could be due to the initial toning being different in thickness and/or the dip working at different rates across the coin. Also some toning may be essentially etched into the coin and the surface damaged.

However, dipping is stripping the coin of metal or luster and the darker the toning the more likely it won't work out. Here is an example of a coin that was over-dipped to show results.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1077119/1-1883-o-over-dip#latest

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    Married2CoinsMarried2Coins Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@lilolme said:

@stevereecy said:
    Hi guys,

>
    First I will say that I agree with some of those above about this probably not working well. Also I can't image it looking like it did ...say...20 years ago.

To understand toning a little go to the below links. It will describe colors as they are associated with toning thickness.

This link need to page down through it and look for the color spectrum (charts).
    http://www.jhonecash.com/coins/tonedmorgans.asp

This link is more technical about the angle and thickness and stuff.
    http://www.jhonecash.com/research/toning_physics.asp

So when you dip a toned coin quickly (call it flash dip or whatever) it will remove a thin layer of the toning (and metal). The colors that are the thinnest will get removed faster or with less dip time. I have tested this on a kind of ugly album type toned coin / silver round and the center became or went back to silver color fairly quickly. The toning on an album type tone nearer to the rim is thicker.

On a dark toned silver bar or round (I don't recall) the dark tone dis/does come off slowly with each flash dip. As I recall I saw it change to a brown, then tan and finally had a chalky white color. This could be described as hazy. This hazy may or may not come off and may or may not come back later. But the dark color didn't come off evenly throughout. This could be due to the initial toning being different in thickness and/or the dip working at different rates across the coin. Also some toning may be essentially etched into the coin and the surface damaged.

However, dipping is stripping the coin of metal or luster and the darker the toning the more likely it won't work out. Here is an example of a coin that was over-dipped to show results.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1077119/1-1883-o-over-dip#latest

I can add one thing. A flash dip will not work with full strengh dip. Tried it. :'(

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

it will look even uglier than before -> 10x dilution still works rather quickly

try 50x or 100x water/acid

most people say only dip uncirculated coins

please give us before and after pics if you give it a go

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a greater than average chance that either the coin will turn out worse as it will unmask some damage hidden under the coins toning, or it won't come off equally and leave it splotchy or likewise... especially if the toning is very thick. The thicker the toning the more likely it's hiding something underneath.

Without seeing the coin though, it's tough to really give a recommendation other than it's a big risk!

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2024 9:25PM

Dark toning means a thick skin. Will look dull if you lighten it and will also destabilize the skin making it more prone to terminal toning/ environmental damage. Coin Chemistry book by Weimar White said it’s possible to remove some forms of corrosion while leaving toning intact with EDTA, and because I had some at work I experimented with some pocket change and it does leave some toning but still doesn’t look right. It’s sort of in between acetone and dip, but if you use it on copper the EDTA solution turns blue and the coin comes out pink like dip does to copper.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Black can mean "terminal" toning.
    If you strip that, you don't get lesser color, you get lesser metal in that area.
    I've done it on an unc walker that wasn't much more than bullion and I saw the results.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file