Home U.S. Coin Forum

NEWP My First Franklin. Your Thoughts Please And Will It CAC.

WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 11, 2024 4:53PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just received this coin today in the mail. For my type set. Please advise on your opinions on the toning and look of the coin and if it will sticker at CAC. Thanks to all who respond. Original pictures from the seller. Mine are from my IPHONE and the obverse toning is a little darker golden in hand than the seller’s pictures.

Comments

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

A beautiful coin! 👍

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

The seller's photos vs the OP's photos are different.
    The more I look at it the luster appears dull in one set of photos and 'enhanced' in the seller's. The slide
    mark on the head is too focal to dismiss.
    It appears more average than GEM +.

peacockcoins

• WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2024 5:43PM

@IkesT said:
    To all those commenting, please be aware that this was an eBay purchase.

Be sure to tell him that it will CAC; otherwise, he is likely to return it to the seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/176324478585

The final decision is mine as I have my own strong opinion after seeing it in hand. I like to have other opinions and thoughts on the coin but to see what others think but if I am not mostly happy I will pass. And it’s always more important to first like the coin than whether it passes CAC. But my whole collection is 100% CAC and I prefer the sticker

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2024 11:11AM

No

Tarnished needs a dip.

Coins & Currency

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:
    The final decision is mine as I have my own strong opinion after seeing it in hand. I like to have other opinions and thoughts on the coin but to see what others see but if I am not absolutely happy I will pass. And it’s always more important to first like the coin than whether it passes CAC. But my whole collection is 100% CAC and I prefer the sticker

Is that fair to the seller who sold you the coin as a PCGS MS65 in good faith?

Is is fair to the Forum members to ask them to interfere in someone else's sale?

How is it interference? I am asking for thoughts on the coin and would it CAC. I haven’t made up my mind yet. Are you saying that I am obligated to keep the coin if I ask forum members for their thoughts. Or I can only ask opinions if I already have definitely decided on owning the coin? I am not running a poll to make the decision on keeping a coin up to the members of this forum.
    MY THOUGHTS still mostly count in making this decision

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:
    The final decision is mine as I have my own strong opinion after seeing it in hand. I like to have other opinions and thoughts on the coin but to see what others see but if I am not absolutely happy I will pass. And it’s always more important to first like the coin than whether it passes CAC. But my whole collection is 100% CAC and I prefer the sticker

Is is fair to the Forum members to ask them to interfere in someone else's sale?

How is it interference?

You're looking for any excuses to return the coin and are asking the Forum to provide them for you. They ought to know what they are being asked to do.

No need to ask for second opinions then.

@IkesT said:

@davewesen said:
    if you wanted a CAC, why didn't you buy a CAC ?

He wants to buy them without the sticker and have the Forum cherrypick the CAC candidates for him. If the coin gets the thumbs down, he can return it to the seller without any risk to himself.

Because most inexpensive Franklins don’t have a CAC and I don’t have a choice except to buy one I like without a CAC

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@Walkerlover said:

How is it interference?

You're looking for any excuses to return the coin and are asking the Forum to provide them for you. They ought to know what they are being asked to do.

No need to ask for second opinions then.

I still like to listen to experienced numismatists to get their feedback

This is a rough crowd

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

The forum is not going to be able to reliably predict whether this will CAC.

It’s difficult to grade coins by good photos and these are poor photos.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it has good eye appeal and see no reason it should not receive a CAC sticker if submitted.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

This is a rough crowd > @IkesT said:

@davewesen said:

He wants to buy them without the sticker and have the Forum cherrypick the CAC candidates for him. If the coin gets the thumbs down, he can return it to the seller without any risk to himself.

Because most inexpensive Franklins don’t have a CAC and I don’t have a choice except to buy one I like without a CAC

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

My bet is it will CAC. It looks like a nice 65 and a pricey one too.

@braddick said:
    The OP changed this post after I posted my opinion.
    His changes make my original opinion seem uneducated.
    Not cool.

Sorry Braddick I forgot to add my iPhone photo when you posted. But coin in hand looks closer to the sellers than mine.

@Walkerlover said:

@braddick said:
    Not cool.

Sorry Braddick I forgot to add my iPhone photo when you posted. But coin in hand looks closer to the sellers than mine.

There is a big difference between the two.
    The Seller's photos look vibrant and lustrous. A full GEM.
    Your photo looks a bit washed out and lifeless with the slide mark a bit more prevalent.

I am glad you are happy with it though yet after the cost of the coin I am not convinced it would be worth a trip to CAC.
    The 1960s Denver Franklins are scarcer in MS65 and better so it does have that going for it, for sure.

peacockcoins

@braddick said:

@Walkerlover said:

@braddick said:
    Not cool.

Your photo looks a bit washed out and lifeless with the slide mark a bit more prevalent.

I am glad you are happy with it though yet after the cost of the coin I am not convinced it would be worth a trip to CAC.
    The 1960s Denver Franklins are scarcer in MS65 and better so it does have that going for it, for > @MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@davewesen said:

You most certainly do have a choice. You might not like that choice but you can wait for examples that are already stickered, even if it’s a long wait. That would be a lot more fair to the sellers whose coins you return.

In this case you said this was your first Franklin half. So it’s not like the date was one of very few you still needed to complete a set and you’d been looking for a long time. There were/are plenty of other Franklin halves that do have CAC stickers.

Mark what is a slide mark that Braddick is referring to?

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2024 5:47AM

@IkesT said:
    Just a reminder that the return window is still open on this purchase, and the OP has a history of using Forum feedback to justify canceling or returning his purchases. He only keeps coins that he thinks will upgrade or CAC. Is that fair to the seller who sold the coin as a PCGS MS65 in good faith?

No - would not want his business. eBay - Buyers who flake out for whatever reason are there and one has to factor in that chance there may be a return. However I feel sorry for the seller here having his sale put up here for disecting. In looking out for #1, I would suggest a 2 week return period vs 4.

Coins & Currency
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it and it may sticker.

LCoopie = Les
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:

@braddick said:

@Walkerlover said:

@braddick said:
    Not cool.

The 1960s Denver Franklins are scarcer in MS65 and better so it does have that going for it, for > @MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@davewesen said:

You most certainly do have a choice. You might not like that choice but you can wait for examples that are already stickered, even if it’s a long wait. That would be a lot more fair to the sellers whose coins you return.

In this case you said this was your first Franklin half. So it’s not like the date was one of very few you still needed to complete a set and you’d been looking for a long time. There were/are plenty of other Franklin halves that do have CAC stickers.

It would be better to hear directly from him.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it looks fine. Don't put so much emphasis on CAC approval, there are lots of beautiful coins without approval, and plenty of ugly ones with approval.

Collector, occasional seller

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

A reminder that this is for type, said the OP. Almost 1,500 65s stickered with FBL and another 1,000 without. Plenty of nice CAC choices on eBay right now and more interesting dates. Some folks are simply users.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2024 8:04AM

If you really want to save money, you might be able to find a raw Franklin you like on eBay for under $40.

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want CAC, there are two options:

1) Buy CAC coins. This is what 99% of collectors should do.
    2) Buy certified or raw coins and submit yourself. This is only feasible once you are very familiar with grading standards for the series. It helps tremendously if you can examine the coins in hand before purchase. Resell the coins that don’t sticker via eBay or GC. Effectively you become a part time dealer. This is a lot of work and has risk. You will lose money, potentially a substantial amount during the education process.

Buying from pictures on eBay and hoping for the best is a bad strategy. You are trying to grade coins within half a point and it’s just not possible.

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

@braddick said:

@Walkerlover said:

@braddick said:

peacockcoins

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

A select few have the skills necessary to judge CAC worthy submissions. Even a percentage of those might not make the cut.

The fact you can't judge after the coin is in hand explains why you should buy stickered coins.

Myself included.

From 2D images on a random forum? Just a huge waste of time IMHO

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the sellers pictures I see a 65 with a possibility to sticker. Based on the OP's pictures I see a so, so 65, maybe a 64. The mark on the cheek and chatter in the left field on the obverse in my opinion hold it back from a 65 but the color may have given it a boost but no CAC sticker in my opinion.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried submitting any coins to CAC? What is your track record?

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a feeling that shoeman052 is about to get a return.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

The sum of all fears.

@DisneyFan said:
    Have you tried submitting any coins to CAC? What is your track record?

Track record is very high. But I am extremely picky as I collect mainly type coins

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerlover said:

@IkesT said:

@davewesen said:

They don't because it makes little sense to get inexpensive coins stickered.

edited April 12, 2024 4:04PM

@braddick said:

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

@braddick said:

@Walkerlover said:

@braddick said:

@braddick said:

@MFeld said:

@Walkerlover said:

@braddick said:

@Walkerlover said:

@braddick said:

Could CAC interpret that slide mark as friction causing it not to sticker or is it an abrasion that doesn’t show real friction or wear? Braddick I don’t want to own a 58+ coin that is masquerading as a 65.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file