Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First Time Being a Dealer at a Coin Showw

FinnsCoinFinnsCoin Posts: 39
edited March 25, 2024 1:43PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I am going to be a dealer at first coin show in dedham massachusetts. Anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tons of threads about this, with much good advice.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't you just make a thread about submitting a bunch of coins to "USB" grading service? And you think you're ready to be a dealer?

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep good records. It's important.

Larry

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a great thread started by DRUNNER shown below:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/567319/market-report-first-show-set-up-long/p1

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options

thanks. this was very helpful.

• Options

@mikee999 said:
    Bring lots of $1, $5, $10 bills for change
    Unless you have a helper show one coin at a time to anyone including dealers
    Be prepare to negotiate (have a plan of what the lowest price you’ll take for any coin)
    Ppff is the best payment method, w/no fees
    Watch everyone that comes near your table like a hawk, especially if they’re together with one or more person
    Carry a loud whistle to use in case of emergency
    etc etc etc

thanks

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FinnsCoin said:
    I am going to be a dealer at first coin show in dedham massachusetts. Anyone have any advice?

Try to be fair. Don' take advantage of all the gullible customers.... and for cripes sakes bring plenty of napkins to block out all the mustard stainz! RGDS!!.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FinnsCoin said:

thanks. this was very helpful.

You're welcome, and good luck!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ctf_error_coins said:
    Get ready for all the other dealers looking to score off of you.

Be prepared for the other dealers to descend on “the new guy” to see if they can “score on you.”

Don’t show anything to anyone until you have your case fully set up.

Keep your eyes on what is outside the case. The only time I got beat in 15 years when a guy palmed $100 bill on me. The bad guys are out there.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mikee999mikee999 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2024 7:33PM

Most of all……….have fun, but don’t get “carry away”….

• Options
    ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭

Go straight home after you leave the show

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be conservative in what you do and display; I'd see it more as a buying opportunity. This is an easy entry type business, longevity and solid business histories count for a lot as you find your specialty and interest. Many long time dealers do very little business or profit at some of the shows with all the costs and risks, be realistic.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2024 7:42AM

Oh, and don't forget to drive straight home after the show.

Don't stop and leave the car for any reason!!

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Be security conscious.
    That applies to people looking at your coins, keeping track of your inventory, keeping your case(s) locked, and being aware of people watching and/or following you - especially when leaving the show.

This!
    I overheard a dealer saying someone stole a gold coin he had out.
    Look into your own personal security camera you could set up behind your table that records in a cloud or a laptop in case anything happens.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

If one was to stop by your table, what would we see being offered?
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

Great question- please do show and tell!

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw a guy at the Dalton show one year.

He mentioned in passing that he had planned not to attend except at last minute.

He had one case with about 50 proof sets from the 1950's and 60's, and he was all over the show and occasionally returned to the table.

He was there to buy and sell to dealers and buy from the public.

Just some random thoughts on strategy for the best use of your time and resources.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

This is what I plan on bringing. The more expansive stuff is slabbed and the cheaper stuff in snaps.

• Options

@Floridafacelifter said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

Great question- please do show and tell!

I just posted it. I don't plan on bringing anything outside of the case because I don't want to risk anything.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please give us a report after the show. I would be interested in your impressions from "the other side of the table". Good luck and I hope you have a great show. :)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect you are going to be disappointed with the number of sales that you make.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

What you offer them for will determine greatly if you get any volume of sales, but you are facing stiff headwinds with how the coins are "graded" and "certified" and, from the image, I can only think "ooofff"

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    Please give us a report after the show. I would be interested in your impressions from "the other side of the table". Good luck and I hope you have a great show. :)

will do

• Options

@TomB said:
    What you offer them for will determine greatly if you get any volume of sales, but you are facing stiff headwinds with how the coins are "graded" and "certified" and, from the image, I can only think "ooofff"

I know it will be tougher to sell but I think it is still better than being ungraded.

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FinnsCoin said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

This is what I plan on bringing. The more expansive stuff is slabbed and the cheaper stuff in snaps.

Is this your USB stuff? You only have 2 coins in slabs. Do you really think it's worth paying for a table to try to sell them?

As for the other stuff, snaps=raw. And, again, you barely have a handful of coins there. How do you expect to recover the cost of the table, even if you sell everything?

• Options

@NJCoin said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

Is this your USB stuff? You only have 2 coins in slabs. Do you really think it's worth paying for a table to try to sell them?

As for the other stuff, snaps=raw. And, again, you barely have a handful of coins there. How do you expect to recover the cost of the table, even if you sell everything?

The table is only $65. plus most of the coins are still very nice even if you consider them raw. I only need 1 or 2 to sell to brake even based on the value of the coins.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as you consider them raw, it should be a fun experience.

Hope you are not disappointed.

Curious as to why the non traditional TPG and what was the expense per coin?

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    edited March 24, 2024 2:30PM

@FinnsCoin said:

@NJCoin said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

The table is only $65. plus most of the coins are still very nice even if you consider them raw. I only need 1 or 2 to sell to brake even based on the value of the coins.

This might be against forum/PCGS rules, but heck I’m going to ask anyway.

Do you mind posting pics of the one/two coins here? Curious nosy mind wants to see. I’m NOT looking to buy.

CU members complain or b@@ch all you want.

• Options

@mikee999 said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@NJCoin said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

Do you mind posting pics of the one/two coins here? Curious nosy mind wants to see. I’m NOT looking to buy.

If either one of these sold I would brake even or if any of the FB dimes/prrof half/curled 2 half sold i would also brake even. I think these are the more likely coins to sell.

• Options
    edited March 24, 2024 3:00PM

@FinnsCoin said:

@mikee999 said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@NJCoin said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

If either one of these sold I would brake even or if any of the FB dimes/prrof half/curled 2 half sold i would also brake even. I think these are the more likely coins to sell.

Totally agree on the 3 cent piece & I don’t own one.
    Much luck to you.

After it’s said & done please post an update on your
    view of the show
    good bad mixed etc

This kind of posts is what this forum is all about.

Thank you for the updates

PS the silver 3 cent piece looks great!!

• Options

@mikee999 said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@mikee999 said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@NJCoin said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

Totally agree on the 3 cent piece & I don’t own one.
    Much luck to you.

After it’s said & done please post an update on your
    view of the show
    good bad mixed etc

This kind of posts is what this forum is all about.

Thank you for the updates

PS the silver 3 cent piece looks great!!

I will. The show is april 7 so im sure ill post by april 8th

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2024 3:16PM

Put the VF30 1833 Dime with the green bean as a primary focus on your table. I don't collect them, but I would guess that would pay for the table and your dinner or gas on the way home, even if nothing else sells! Good luck to you!

• Options
    edited March 24, 2024 3:25PM

@Hallco said:
    Put the VF30 1833 Dime with the green bean as a primary focus on your table. I don't collect them, but I would guess that would pay for the table and your dinner or gas on the way home, even if nothing else sells! Good luck to you!

Great advice consider the coin as your QB, Ace pitcher (not any of the 2 Japanese “pitchers” w/the major league LA team)* or point guard.

I live in LA & totally disappointed w/ them so far.

Just to add to my post count.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FinnsCoin said:

Your dimes are not FB, and there's no such thing as an FB-66 grade anyway. Your half is not proof, let alone cameo. Your 3 cent is not MS-68.

I think that selling any of these would be an awful result for you. If someone is willing to pay your price based on those descriptions, that very likely means that they noticed something else entirely. You could wonder for years what you let go without realizing it.

Is the organizer of the show aware of what you're going to sell? I am not a lawyer, but I wonder if he has any liability for coins that are as misrepresented as these seem to be...

• Options

I can't show the FB because my camera isn't good enough, but I can show the proof/cameo half. Just because it is a third world holder doesn't automatically mean is is incorrectly graded.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we get a close-up pick of your 1852 silver 3 cent coin. I don't believe I've seen one in MS-68 before. What are you asking for it?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    Can we get a close-up pick of your 1852 silver 3 cent coin. I don't believe I've seen one in MS-68 before. What are you asking for it?

Ouch, that might be my line & I’ll get slammed for it.

This discussion has been closed.