Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

Kevin Flynn auction of die varieties at Heritage Auction

kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭
edited February 2, 2024 8:17AM in Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

I am selling the majority of my certified die varieties through Heritage Auctions.
It is a 30 day auction starting 2/2/2024 at https://coins.ha.com/c/search/results.zx?si=2&live_state=5318~5319~5320~5322~5321~5324&dept=1909&auction_name=63270&sb=1&mode=live&page=200~1&layout=list
There are about 580 lots including doubled dies, repunched mint marks, over mint marks, overdates, clashes, off-denomination clashes, repunched dates, misplaced dates, and others.
Many of the coins that were the plate coins for books that I have written are included. Also included are plate coins for other books.
A complete cross reference and description is included for each lot.
Also included for most of the lots are links to the die variety section of that book the variety was used or listed in. There is even links to books I have not published, such as the Trade Dollars.
For the more dramatic varieties, a close up photo is included, of course you can click on the link to see all of the die varieties.
This includes a ton of Indian Cent, Lincoln Cent, Two Cent, Three Cent Nickel, Liberty Head Nickel, Buffalo Nickel, Barber Dime, Quarter, and Half Dollar, Walking Liberty Half Dollars, Franklin Half Dollars, Kennedy Half Dollars, Liberty Seated, Trade, Morgan Dollar, and gold varieties. The Morgan Dollar varieties include many of the 8TF and 8/7 TF varieties. There are many varieties herein that have not been seen elsewhere. This is a cumulation of 30 years of writing 58 books and finding coins to use for the books.
I am attempting to get my web page back online
The restrike book is complete, but it has been in editing for the past year, hopefully soon, if interested in this book, please advise.
I am also working on a history of coins book, after that I will probably just do kids books to help get the next generation involved.
If any questions, please email me
Thanks
Kevin
[removed email address, please DM user for info]

Kevin J Flynn

Comments

  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Some nice coins there! I love seeing the ANACS slabs as well!

    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭✭✭

    On my watchlist -thanks and good luck with the sale.

    WS

    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Good luck with your sale, though allow me to tag @PCGS_Moderator so that they can move this thread to the BST where it would be more appropriate.

  • kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

    There is going to be a second auction of certified non die varieties such as my collection of buffalo nickels, and also a 1974-D silver Ike, one of my favorite coins.
    This is something new for Heritage, especially including the links for the books, they have been extremely helpful.

    Kevin J Flynn
  • kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

    @DeplorableDan said:
    Good luck with your sale, though allow me to tag @PCGS_Moderator so that they can move this thread to the BST where it would be more appropriate.

    Thanks for the offer, but I am not buying, selling, or trading any coins on this site, was simply letting people know of my status, and that I was selling most of my die variety collection

    Kevin J Flynn
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Wrong forum to be advertising your coins. The thread belongs in the BST forum.

    Larry

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @kevinj said:

    @DeplorableDan said:
    Good luck with your sale, though allow me to tag @PCGS_Moderator so that they can move this thread to the BST where it would be more appropriate.

    Thanks for the offer, but I am not buying, selling, or trading any coins on this site, was simply letting people know of my status, and that I was selling most of my die variety collection

    Still belongs on the BST. You are selling, just not directly. If every consignor to auction posted here, it would fill up the board.

    If 100% of the proceeds are going to charity, that would be a different matter.

  • MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2024 5:20PM

    @kevinj said:

    @DeplorableDan said:
    Good luck with your sale, though allow me to tag @PCGS_Moderator so that they can move this thread to the BST where it would be more appropriate.

    Thanks for the offer, but I am not buying, selling, or trading any coins on this site, was simply letting people know of my status, and that I was selling most of my die variety collection

    I think your answer is in your first line:
    "I am selling the majority of my certified die varieties through Heritage Auctions."

    Edited to add: Lots of people sell coins. If all of them posted in this forum "I am selling on eBay", or "I am selling on my website", etc., this forum would be full of such posts. I agree, the BST is the proper forum. Your post is normally called "spam" here.

  • kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

    Yes, if you take out of context, it states that I am selling. In context, it shows it is in a Heritage auctions, not attempting to buy, sell, or trade on this site. I did a search on 'auctions' I found many listed in the U.S. and also World coin forums, for example https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1099010/large-host-country-olympic-coin-collection-up-for-auction

    Kevin J Flynn
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Kevin is one of the good guys, a prolific author on just about every series of US Coins. I've enjoyed his books over the years, and I don't mind him announcing the sale of his coins here on the US Coin forum. Could it be moved to the BST? I guess. But let's cut him a break and not treat him like some spammer that joined the boards to peddle his wares. He's paid his dues.

    Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

  • lermishlermish Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DCW said:
    Kevin is one of the good guys, a prolific author on just about every series of US Coins. I've enjoyed his books over the years, and I don't mind him announcing the sale of his coins here on the US Coin forum. Could it be moved to the BST? I guess. But let's cut him a break and not treat him like some spammer that joined the boards to peddle his wares. He's paid his dues.

    That's 100% irrelevant. There are dozens of equally (or more) respected and accomplished board members. That doesn't change the fact that if they are promoting a sale it belongs in the BST.

    This post isn't even information AND promotion. It is only promotion. In this forum, that makes it spam.

  • lermishlermish Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2024 7:47PM

    @kevinj said:
    Yes, if you take out of context, it states that I am selling.

    The only purpose of your post is to promote a sale that financially benefits you and give very specific information about the lots and a link to the sale. What other context is there?

  • MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DCW said:
    Kevin is one of the good guys, a prolific author on just about every series of US Coins. I've enjoyed his books over the years, and I don't mind him announcing the sale of his coins here on the US Coin forum. Could it be moved to the BST? I guess. But let's cut him a break and not treat him like some spammer that joined the boards to peddle his wares. He's paid his dues.

    I love this board, but that is my biggest complaint about it. Some get away with things that others get banned for.

  • kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2024 8:14PM

    Amazing, do a simple search for auctions, see how many auctions are listed in the U.S. and World coin forums. Also, look at all the posts that lists other sites, isn't this a form of advertising and promotion?

    Kevin J Flynn
  • kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2024 8:11PM

    lermish - What other context or information is there besides the auction. First the auction has links to all the die varieties in almost all my books, this includes coins not in the auction, this also is including books I have not published, such as the trade dollars. Second, the auction listings and cross references are extremely detailed, which can be useful if collectors want to learn more. After reading almost every single auction in the 19th century for my restrike book, I have found you can learn a lot from these catalogues.
    Third, please read the entire post, I listed another book I was working on and stated that I was thereafter working on books for kids to help save the hobby

    Kevin J Flynn
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I don't see a problem. Sales of collections at major auction houses get mentioned here and not on the BST all the time. Here's an example: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1080452/stewart-blays-1-proof-lincoln-registry-set-is-being-auctioned

    If the issue is that Kevin made the post about his own auction, I'm happy to create my own thread announcing it so it conforms, if that's the rule.

    Kevin has done a lifetime of extensive work in varieties, and his collection is as important as any other.

    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2024 9:33PM

    Wow, 1,001 memories, Stewart was a good friend and IMO one of the best graders I have ever known in my life. We had some fun experiences together fishing and coining and I also had the pleasure of viewing, studying, and photographing several of better coins. But Stewart had incredible knowledge, especially on Matte proofs, which he enjoyed sharing. He could tell some wild stories, I thought I had been around, but nothing like Stewart had, awesome human being.
    Shoulda, woulda, coulda, that one that got away. I figured out who had the 1958 DDO, interviewed him and photographed the coin for my Lincoln cent book. I probably could have bought that specimen for about 10K, but decided that I morally should not buy it as I was documenting and promoting its genuineness in the book. I helped him sell it, I also helped Stewart buy a second specimen from him. I believe the one in Stewart's collection sold for 1.1 million. I am sure we all have stories of coins we should have bought that were worth much more over time.
    I do miss my friend Stewart. I remember one time I was up at his apartment in NY, he showed me a 1917 Lincoln cent with a letter from Breen that claimed it was a matte proof. It had an extremely sharp inner edge. I took a microscope to it and showed Stewart how there were many cut marks on the inside edge as the coin was manipulated, he just shook his head and laughed.

    Kevin J Flynn
  • RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 841 ✭✭✭✭

    Not sure why the big deal. I had Kevin come to the restaurant to image my Matte Proof Buffalos 15 years ago... one of the most knowledgeable humans I have ever been around.
    Comical as he was walking around the restaurant trying to get good images... while my guys were polishing glassware and silverware... wow that was so long ago.

    Good luck on the future book!
    Have many of your books in my library!

    J

  • kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

    @Relaxn said:
    Not sure why the big deal. I had Kevin come to the restaurant to image my Matte Proof Buffalos 15 years ago... one of the most knowledgeable humans I have ever been around.
    Comical as he was walking around the restaurant trying to get good images... while my guys were polishing glassware and silverware... wow that was so long ago.

    OMG I remember that, Matte Buffs are so difficult to get consistent diagnostics and photographs compared to Lincoln Mattes

    Kevin J Flynn
  • MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm going to bookmark this page and the next time I have some coins for sale I'm going to post on this forum that "I am selling part of my collection at _________". When (not if) I get some static about it I'm going to refer everyone to this thread.
    I encourage for all of you to do the same and lets see how long it's allowed to stand.

  • MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Relaxn said:
    Not sure why the big deal. I had Kevin come to the restaurant to image my Matte Proof Buffalos 15 years ago... one of the most knowledgeable humans I have ever been around.

    Please read as sarcasm.
    OK!! I apologize now. I finally get it. It's how knowledgeable one is on if they have to follow the written or unwritten rules.

    Like I've already said, this is my only pet peeve about this board that I love otherwise.

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm running weekly live coin auctions. I'll be sure and post a link every week on the forum to announce it.

    It has nothing to do with how good a guy he is...

  • kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

    mwallace, you include your smalldollars website below your posts, in what your saying, that is promoting and advertising another site, to drive readers here to your site, kinda do as I say, not as I do right, rules do not apply to you? Isn't that ironic?

    Kevin J Flynn
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The rules have been the same for over 20 years. Self promotion can't be posted on the US Coin Forum.
    I have a great respect for the OP but even the famous don't have the right to ignore the forum rules.

    Larry

  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ldhair said:
    The rules have been the same for over 20 years. Self promotion can't be posted on the US Coin Forum.
    I have a great respect for the OP but even the famous don't have the right to ignore the forum rules.

    Agree, but this might not be true since the thread has not been moved.

    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

    Please show me the specific rule that states that you cannot list an auction on this forum, not rules from self imposed moderators, and not rules that are interpretable in many ways.
    I never claimed or asked for special privileges nor received them especially given that many posts in both U.S. and World list auctions, both from people who are selling coins in them and people who are listing auctions from others. I have not seen any of the above self appointed moderators in there on those posts. Power of the keyboard I guess.

    Kevin J Flynn
  • silviosisilviosi Posts: 444 ✭✭✭

    Thanks Kevin for posting your auction. Account on me at this auction. Hope all my tracks will come to me.

    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

  • kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2024 7:28AM

    Just reread the rules at https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1009079/pcgs-forum-rules-and-guidelines-updated-4-19-2021#latest. Nothing there on prohibiting the listing of an auction.
    Rule 3 states "Posts must not contain libelous (accusatory, attacking) remarks", instead of accusing and attacking as some of the self appointed moderators above have, if you believe a rule has been broken, address with a real moderator please
    The primary objective states: "This is a PCGS forum paid for by PCGS and provided for PCGS customers and collectors to exchange information regarding US coins."
    Obviously this is in regard to U.S. coins, and this auction provides not only a listing of coins, but a link to all die varieties from almost all of my books, which IMO is information that is beneficial to both PCGS customers and collectors.

    Kevin J Flynn
  • kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

    For example, my 1972 Type II reverse states the following in the auction description
    Flynn Reference and Cross Reference: BREEN 5749, REV of 1971. Treasure Hunting The Top 20th and 21ST Century U.S. Coins

    Flynn Commentary: There exists a 1972-P Ike which contains a high relief Type II reverse and is very rare. An MS65 of this variety could easily bring $1,000. In 1971, a low relief obverse (Type I) and reverse (Type I) design was used for all business strikes. A high relief obverse (Type II and Type III) and high relief reverse (Type II) was used for proof coinage. The reason for this was that the die steel used could not take the higher pressure needed to strike with high relief dies. Proof coins did not have this problem as they were struck twice. In January of 1972, a new die steel was experimented with all 1972-S dies used for business strikes at the San Francisco Mint. All 1972 Eisenhower Dollars business strikes and proofs struck at San Francisco were from the high relief Type III obverse was used with the high relief Type II reverse. The new die steel was work hardened and could withstand the higher pressure needed. It was also logical to experiment with the 40% silver planchets first as the copper nickel planchets were harder. From January of 1972 to August, in both the Philadelphia and Denver Mints, the low relief Type I obverse and reverses were used to strike all coinage. In September of 1972, the new die steel was used to make all dies for the Philadelphia Mint. A new high relief reverse (Type III) was made and used to strike all 1972-P coinage from September to December of 1972. Dollar production was terminated at the Denver Mint in September because of the lack of demand. In a Numismatist article by Herbert Hicks in April of 1974, Mr. Hicks say, In March of 1972, an interesting event took place. Current Philadelphia Dollars were found in circulation with the B reverse, previously used only for only proof strikes. It is believed that all came from only one working die. This is because of a bank had any B reverses at all, they were usually found in the ratio of one B to six or seven A's. Most of the reverse B's found had a consistently located die crack in various stages. This crack began as a tiny line from the tops of T to E in the word STATES. It expanded to include the tops of the letters in the whole word. Incidentally, some of the most advanced die cracks were found in March, 1972. In researching the matter further, I received a letter from a prominent numismatist quoting a mint official who should know, saying proof dies were accidentally sent to the coining room at Philadelphia. Also, this official speculated on how long it would take collectors to discover this since the strikes were considerably different. Please note the use of the plural dies and the use of the term considerably different. The following may be jumping ahead of the story slightly, but the Numismatic News Weekly, September 19, 1972 issue quotes a mint spokesman on this subject as saying, It wasn't a mistake, it was a coincidence. In experimenting with the various dies and die steel a reverse die prepared in the new die steel for proof production did get into use with the desired end being attained. This time a singular die is used. If more than one were used, I believe that they did not go into circulation in the Boston area. The only other report of a reverse B received came from Ohio. In a letter from Mint Director Mary Brooks to Kenneth Bressett on April 4, 1973, Mrs. Brooks says, We do not have any knowledge of the existence of exceptional high relief reverse 1972-P Eisenhower Dollars. Naturally, it is not impossible that such coins exist, but none have come to the Bureau laboratory for authentication. Was this intentional or an accident? It could have been done intentionally to test the new die steel with a high relief reverse on copper nickel. The new die steel was already being used on the silver clad 1972-S business strikes. This would be the natural progression in experimenting. The main problem with this is the timing. The coins from this die pair were found in March of 1972. The new die steel was not used to create Philadelphia dies until September of 1972. Why the long delay between experiment and production? Only one die pair was found leading also to the conclusion that this was not done intentionally. If they were experimenting, would they not want to test a few dies to see if the results were consistent? The only logical conclusion is that this was an accident and a Type II high relief reverse meant for the San Francisco Mint was shipped to the Philadelphia Coining Department. Remember that the obverse dies being shipped to the San Francisco Mint, had a obverse mintmark. Reverse dies had no special marks. If the die setter in the coining department did not look at the reverse closely, he would have missed the difference. If this Type II high relief reverse die was made for the business strikes for San Francisco, it would have been made of the new die steel. If it was made for proof coinage, it might have been made of the old die steel. If made with the new die steel, we should see the normal production run of 100,000 coins. If made with the old die steel, it should be much fewer.

    Kevin J Flynn
  • MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @kevinj said:
    mwallace, you include your smalldollars website below your posts, in what your saying, that is promoting and advertising another site, to drive readers here to your site, kinda do as I say, not as I do right, rules do not apply to you? Isn't that ironic?

    Sir, it's an educational site. You would know that if you had actually looked at it. Nothing is and NEVER has been for sale. I posted the info to provide, for free, information on small dollars that can't be found anywhere. It was years of research on my part that I chose to provide to the collecting community for the good of numismatics instead of trying to make money by releasing it in book. I know for a fact that ALL of the grading services have used it as a reference as well as people like Dave Bowers in his book on small dollars plus several other books and articles.

    Why in the hell am I trying to explain it to you or anyone else? I'm proud of the site.

  • MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @kevinj said:
    Obviously this is in regard to U.S. coins, and this auction provides not only a listing of coins, but a link to all die varieties from almost all of my books, which IMO is information that is beneficial to both PCGS customers and collectors.

    Because YOU think it's beneficial doesn't give YOU a pass. There are unwritten rules here that are to make posts fair to us all. For example one post per person in BST at a time. This is to keep people from hogging the entire Page 1. You won't find that rule in the PCGS rules. It's just common courtesy.

  • MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @kevinj said:
    For example, my 1972 Type II reverse states the following in the auction description
    Flynn Reference and Cross Reference: BREEN 5749, REV of 1971. Treasure Hunting The Top 20th and 21ST Century U.S. Coins

    Flynn Commentary: There exists a 1972-P Ike which contains a high relief Type II reverse and is very rare. An MS65 of this variety could easily bring $1,000. In 1971, a low relief obverse (Type I) and reverse (Type I) design was used for all business strikes. A high relief obverse (Type II and Type III) and high relief reverse (Type II) was used for proof coinage. The reason for this was that the die steel used could not take the higher pressure needed to strike with high relief dies. Proof coins did not have this problem as they were struck twice. In January of 1972, a new die steel was experimented with all 1972-S dies used for business strikes at the San Francisco Mint. All 1972 Eisenhower Dollars business strikes and proofs struck at San Francisco were from the high relief Type III obverse was used with the high relief Type II reverse. The new die steel was work hardened and could withstand the higher pressure needed. It was also logical to experiment with the 40% silver planchets first as the copper nickel planchets were harder. From January of 1972 to August, in both the Philadelphia and Denver Mints, the low relief Type I obverse and reverses were used to strike all coinage. In September of 1972, the new die steel was used to make all dies for the Philadelphia Mint. A new high relief reverse (Type III) was made and used to strike all 1972-P coinage from September to December of 1972. Dollar production was terminated at the Denver Mint in September because of the lack of demand. In a Numismatist article by Herbert Hicks in April of 1974, Mr. Hicks say, In March of 1972, an interesting event took place. Current Philadelphia Dollars were found in circulation with the B reverse, previously used only for only proof strikes. It is believed that all came from only one working die. This is because of a bank had any B reverses at all, they were usually found in the ratio of one B to six or seven A's. Most of the reverse B's found had a consistently located die crack in various stages. This crack began as a tiny line from the tops of T to E in the word STATES. It expanded to include the tops of the letters in the whole word. Incidentally, some of the most advanced die cracks were found in March, 1972. In researching the matter further, I received a letter from a prominent numismatist quoting a mint official who should know, saying proof dies were accidentally sent to the coining room at Philadelphia. Also, this official speculated on how long it would take collectors to discover this since the strikes were considerably different. Please note the use of the plural dies and the use of the term considerably different. The following may be jumping ahead of the story slightly, but the Numismatic News Weekly, September 19, 1972 issue quotes a mint spokesman on this subject as saying, It wasn't a mistake, it was a coincidence. In experimenting with the various dies and die steel a reverse die prepared in the new die steel for proof production did get into use with the desired end being attained. This time a singular die is used. If more than one were used, I believe that they did not go into circulation in the Boston area. The only other report of a reverse B received came from Ohio. In a letter from Mint Director Mary Brooks to Kenneth Bressett on April 4, 1973, Mrs. Brooks says, We do not have any knowledge of the existence of exceptional high relief reverse 1972-P Eisenhower Dollars. Naturally, it is not impossible that such coins exist, but none have come to the Bureau laboratory for authentication. Was this intentional or an accident? It could have been done intentionally to test the new die steel with a high relief reverse on copper nickel. The new die steel was already being used on the silver clad 1972-S business strikes. This would be the natural progression in experimenting. The main problem with this is the timing. The coins from this die pair were found in March of 1972. The new die steel was not used to create Philadelphia dies until September of 1972. Why the long delay between experiment and production? Only one die pair was found leading also to the conclusion that this was not done intentionally. If they were experimenting, would they not want to test a few dies to see if the results were consistent? The only logical conclusion is that this was an accident and a Type II high relief reverse meant for the San Francisco Mint was shipped to the Philadelphia Coining Department. Remember that the obverse dies being shipped to the San Francisco Mint, had a obverse mintmark. Reverse dies had no special marks. If the die setter in the coining department did not look at the reverse closely, he would have missed the difference. If this Type II high relief reverse die was made for the business strikes for San Francisco, it would have been made of the new die steel. If it was made for proof coinage, it might have been made of the old die steel. If made with the new die steel, we should see the normal production run of 100,000 coins. If made with the old die steel, it should be much fewer.

    WOW!!! I'm impressed. You do have a right to not follow rules, albeit unwritten, that the rest of us do. My apologies sir.

  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The rules allow for a link in the sig line. They also have this to say.
    "The first thing we would like to point out is that this is a forum for collectors, and the biggest reason we exist is for collectors to come together and share information by asking and answering questions of folks with similar interests and hobbies. We did not set out to be a marketplace, eBay, or Etsy. We do, however, offer a Buy, Sell, and Trade thread for folks to connect and Buy, Sell, and Trade as they see fit."

    None of this is new but lets see if the mods will allow everyone to post ads on what we are selling on the US Coin forum. That would be a complete change from the past.

    Larry

  • kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

    @MWallace said:

    @kevinj said:
    mwallace, you include your smalldollars website below your posts, in what your saying, that is promoting and advertising another site, to drive readers here to your site, kinda do as I say, not as I do right, rules do not apply to you? Isn't that ironic?

    Sir, it's an educational site. You would know that if you had actually looked at it. Nothing is and NEVER has been for sale. I posted the info to provide, for free, information on small dollars that can't be found anywhere. It was years of research on my part that I chose to provide to the collecting community for the good of numismatics instead of trying to make money by releasing it in book. I know for a fact that ALL of the grading services have used it as a reference as well as people like Dave Bowers in his book on small dollars plus several other books and articles.

    Why in the hell am I trying to explain it to you or anyone else? I'm proud of the site.

    I did go into your site and viewed extensively, never said you were selling something there in my comment, only that you it can be argued that you are promoting and advertising the site, which is what I was accused of above.
    I know from studying auctions extensively that they are full of information that can help a collector. Lets say I am a die variety collector, in viewing an auction on die varieties, you can learn what is there and not, what to look for, what years there is a high probability of finding something, for MPDs best years in 1907 and 1908.
    Yeah, you think writing books is for profit, having written 58 books on coins, I can confirm it is not. I do this for the essence of the hobby, which is to learn and share.

    Kevin J Flynn
  • kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

    @MWallace said:

    @kevinj said:
    Obviously this is in regard to U.S. coins, and this auction provides not only a listing of coins, but a link to all die varieties from almost all of my books, which IMO is information that is beneficial to both PCGS customers and collectors.

    Because YOU think it's beneficial doesn't give YOU a pass. There are unwritten rules here that are to make posts fair to us all. For example one post per person in BST at a time. This is to keep people from hogging the entire Page 1. You won't find that rule in the PCGS rules. It's just common courtesy.

    Thats not true, A post or a book, or anything else does not have to appease everyone nor will it ever, we all have different likes and desires in our collecting. Some here said they enjoyed the auction and listings therein, therefore IMO it was helpful. For many of my books I only printed 100 copies, they are very specialized, sometimes take years to research and write, but is worth the time and effort of you helped others. I am not into SmallDollars, but I am sure that there are many collectors that are, your helping them IMO helps the hobby in general.

    Kevin J Flynn
  • kevinjkevinj Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

    WOW!!! I'm impressed. You do have a right to not follow rules, albeit unwritten, that the rest of us do. My apologies sir.

    Tell you what, lets have a phone conference, do a search for 'auctions' on U.S. and World coins, view all the auctions listed under U.S. and World forums, then we can discuss the standards that have been used and which I followed.

    Kevin J Flynn
  • Moved thread to BST

    Also, please do not post email addresses, phone numbers, or physical addresses.
    Interested parties can reach out via DM.

    Thanks

  • lermishlermish Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Welcome to the BST!

    I just searched the US Coin forum for the word auction within the last year. There are 126 pages of results so I did not go through them all.

    The difference between those posts and yours is that discussing an auction or coins in that auction or prices realized or which venue is best is one thing and totally encouraged and very common. Promoting one's own auction listing is very different!

    No matter how you want to spin it or rationalize it...you are promoting an auction in which you will receive a financial benefit. That belongs here, in the BST. If you want to discuss your scholarly works or die varieties or whatever, no problem. They are not the same thing.

  • MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @kevinj

    Apparently you're not going to get it. This is my last post on the subject. You get the last word if you wish.

Sign In or Register to comment.