Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Legends Auctions is shutting down☹️

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:

@1madman said:
    Anyone think this is the start of a downturn in the coin market?

Doesn’t something have to be the first domino in the line?

Perhaps, but Laura has been very open about her chronic and serious health issues that recently resulted in a (thus far) successful kidney transplant. That isn't child's play, and if you are running the sort of far flung numismatic empire she has her hands in then it might be a good time to scale back for her longterm health.

One thing I always appreciated was Laura's auction descriptions that I thought couldn't be replaced by anyone but her. In today's day of AI however, I wonder if the day to day operations of the service could be run by others and ChatGPT could be used to create new auction descriptions.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2023 4:21AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@oih82w8 said:
    I don't remember participating in their auctions...I kinda feel like I'm to blame. :'(

They did specifically mention you as the problem.

@jmlanzaf said:

@oih82w8 said:
    I don't remember participating in their auctions...I kinda feel like I'm to blame. :'(

@jmlanzaf said:

@oih82w8 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@oih82w8 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@oih82w8 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@oih82w8 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@oih82w8 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@oih82w8 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@oih82w8 said:

Get the rope 😤
    We still love ya bro

• Options
    TypekatTypekat Posts: 194 ✭✭✭

I’m sorry to hear that Legend is going out of the auction business. I bought some nice coins from their sales over the years, and always found them both friendly and professional to deal with.

It’s no secret that the coin auction business is tougher than ever these days!
    It wasn’t so long ago that the vast majority of major US coin collections were auctioned by either Stack’s or Heritage.

But now, just look at the dollar value of what Great Collections sells EVERY WEEK.

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve bought my fair share of coins from them and I was always a very happy customer.

I’m wondering if Greg Cohen’s departure has anything to do with this. I believe he wrote most of the auction descriptions for Legend.

• Options

@skier07 said:
    I’m wondering if Greg Cohen’s departure has anything to do with this. I believe he wrote most of the auction descriptions for Legend.

I wonder how many auction houses are using AI for auction descriptions these days.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@skier07 said:

I wonder how many auction houses are using AI for auction descriptions these days.

I wonder why one would need AI for a numismatic description. The description of the coin is based upon its physical characteristics, which would not be described by AI, while the history of issues is already known and essentially plug-and-play as is.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2023 7:37PM

Got an email today stating the above closer from Laura, glad, she is doing well after her surgery, sad to see another great site closing.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope she makes a full recovery. I've always enjoyed her commentary and wish her well.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@skier07 said:
    >

….

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

When Blay chose GC...

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

They got top dollar for their customers, probably more than GC and HA in many cases. I always appreciated Steve Deeds and Superior.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best Laura, and it was a great run! Thank you for selling the sets that you did for me. Truly a great reach and wonderful catalog for my memories1

Doug
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@skier07 said:

Or did Greg Cohen leave because he knew they were wrapping up operations?

• Options

@TomB said:

@Zoins said:

@skier07 said:

I wonder why one would need AI for a numismatic description. The description of the coin is based upon its physical characteristics, which would not be described by AI, while the history of issues is already known and essentially plug-and-play as is.

The key to generative AI is the query. You can get it to write history or you can get it to write based on the assigned grade. Or both.

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:

Their business seemed fine...HA and GC and SB seem to be doin well....the hobby has grown a ton since Covid a few years back....their time (esp. considering health and QOL) and profit margins might be better just doing LN and not LRCA.

• Options

@NJCoin said:

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@1madman said:

Their business seemed fine...HA and GC and SB seem to be doin well....the hobby has grown a ton since Covid a few years back....their time (esp. considering health and QOL) and profit margins might be better just doing LN and not LRCA.

Or not. Despite all the hype and hyperbole, it's entirely possible that smaller really wasn't better, and the business never scaled to the point of being profitable.

I get health and QOL. I don't get a profitable business that someone spent over a decade building, with a good brand and reputation, not having an enterprise value that would encourage those involved day-to-day to want to continue, or for someone in the industry to want to buy it.

Besides health and QOL, I think the fact that it wasn't worth anything to anyone else as a going concern means the business was the exact opposite of fine. As does the great length the owner is now taking to let everyone know they are separate businesses, after tying them at the hip through branding and cross promotion from Day One.

In addition to profitability, one thing that struck me about the site is the potential importance of Laura's descriptions and the Legend / Laura affiliation. If Laura isn't participating and writing descriptions, how much brand equity and goodwill would be transferred in a sale?

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@1madman said:

Or not. Despite all the hype and hyperbole, it's entirely possible that smaller really wasn't better, and the business never scaled to the point of being profitable.

I get health and QOL. I don't get a profitable business that someone spent over a decade building, with a good brand and reputation, not having an enterprise value that would encourage those involved day-to-day to want to continue, or for someone in the industry to want to buy it.

Besides health and QOL, I think the fact that it wasn't worth anything to anyone else as a going concern means the business was the exact opposite of fine. As does the great length the owner is now taking to let everyone know they are separate businesses, after tying them at the hip through branding and cross promotion from Day One.

Laura has stated that she had numerous purchase offers but they were contingent on her remaining with the company and for QOL she just didn't want to or couldn't continue to do that.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2023 9:25AM

@lermish said:

@NJCoin said:

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@1madman said:

Laura has stated that she had numerous purchase offers but they were contingent on her remaining with the company and for QOL she just didn't want to or couldn't continue to do that.

Agreed. Similar to what I mentioned above, the brand equity is in Laura remaining active. A question is what kind of activity was desired. If it was just writing descriptions, using GenAI with Laura doing proof reading may make it easier on her time.

We already have multiple forum members creating AI-based solutions for coin evaluation, so I'm guessing something could be done to make the job of copyediting the description easier than say writing ones from scratch.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:

@NJCoin said:

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@1madman said:

I think she made the wrong choice with her two businesses. She should have closed the coin business, not the auction house. If she had someone willing to buy the auction house and pay her as an employee to stay on, she would have the better QOL (less stress) and guaranteed income.

She’s in the position now where she still has to run a successful coin business, and if the market is actually turning downward, the risk of losing that one is elevated.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2023 10:25AM

@1madman said:

@lermish said:

@NJCoin said:

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@1madman said:

I think she made the wrong choice with her two businesses. She should have closed the coin business, not the auction house. If she had someone willing to buy the auction house and pay her as an employee to stay on, she would have the better QOL (less stress) and guaranteed income.

She’s in the position now where she still has to run a successful coin business, and if the market is actually turning downward, the risk of losing that one is elevated.

That may be the more analytical business choice, but there's more to that than running a business. I think her passion is helping build great, legendary sets, so there is that.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@NJCoin said:

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@1madman said:

In addition to profitability, one thing that struck me about the site is the potential importance of Laura's descriptions and the Legend / Laura affiliation. If Laura isn't participating and writing descriptions, how much brand equity and goodwill would be transferred in a sale?

I’m not slamming her but her auction descriptions weren’t special. Some would even opine some of them were terribly written. I found some of the descriptions humorous but not what I would want or expect in a professional auction description.

This said, I do wonder if the association with Legend Numismatics (not necessarily Laura) did affect the profitability. Legend does have a small cohort of die hard fans. It would be interesting to see what, if any effect, this had on Legend Auctions.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@1madman said:

@lermish said:

@NJCoin said:

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@1madman said:

That may be the more analytical business choice, but there's more to that than running a business. I think her passion is helping build great, legendary sets, so there is that.

This may very well be the case. She is approaching normal retirement age, and she may be less concerned about financial risks if she can afford to walk away and is doing this basically as a paid hobby or part time job.

• Options
    willywilly Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would hope that a coin dealer that build the type of marquee collections Laura and Legend did over the years is in a position that she can finish her career as she fits with no financial concerns going forward. If Legend is not financially set then you need to question the dealer profitability equation as a whole. I do not know how profitable coin dealers are but they build some of the best coin collections ever. I know they have solid financial backing and can afford to buy the most expensive coins.

Are most other Dealers living pay check to paycheck like many Americans?

I enjoy the coins I purchased from Legend Auctions.

• Options
    edited December 31, 2023 2:08PM

@willy said:
    I do not know how profitable coin dealers are but they build some of the best coin collections ever. I know they have solid financial backing and can afford to buy the most expensive coins.

Who are some dealers that have some of the best collections ever? I know dealers handle many great coins but how many of them have great collections?

Jeff Shevlin comes to mind for So-Called Dollars and Allan Rowe comes to mind for CC dollar errors.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@willy said:
    I do not know how profitable coin dealers are but they build some of the best coin collections ever. I know they have solid financial backing and can afford to buy the most expensive coins.

Who are some dealers that have some of the best collections ever? I know dealers handle many great coins but how many of them have great collections?

Jeff Shevlin comes to mind for So-Called Dollars and Allan Rowe comes to mind for CC dollar errors.

I don't know him so I don't know if he considers himself a dealer or not but @tradedollarnut has built and owned many world class collections for himself.

• Options
    Farmer1961Farmer1961 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

Since I only collect low grade "dreck" coins it has no bearing on me!

• Options

@Zoins said:

@willy said:

He's talking about dealers building collections for clients.

• Options

@Farmer1961 said:
    Since I only collect low grade "dreck" coins it has no bearing on me!

Nonsense. Even her infamous “dreck free auction “ had some rather pedestrian coins including a homely looking NGC seated coin that lacked a CAC sticker to boot. 🤣

Don’t get me wrong, there are a lot of nice coins that have passed through there but not every coin that was sold is museum quality. Every auction has lackluster pieces.

• Options

@willy said:
    I would hope that a coin dealer that build the type of marquee collections Laura and Legend did over the years is in a position that she can finish her career as she fits with no financial concerns going forward. If Legend is not financially set then you need to question the dealer profitability equation as a whole. I do not know how profitable coin dealers are but they build some of the best coin collections ever. I know they have solid financial backing and can afford to buy the most expensive coins.

Are most other Dealers living pay check to paycheck like many Americans?

I enjoy the coins I purchased from Legend Auctions.

Paycheck to paycheck rather overstates the liquidity issue. But coin dealers aren't automatically rich. I think people sometimes think they are wealthier than they are because they are buying and selling gold and silver. But GROSS is not the same as NET.

I buy $10 million in coins. I sell them for $11 million. There's a $1 million pre-tax profit that needs to pay all business expenses plus taxes and then you take home a paycheck that is far short of $1 million. And most coin dealers don't do $11 million per year.

If you have a store, over time you probably accumulate inventory where much of your wealth may be located.

If you run an auction house, you could sell $100 million in coins and not make any money. You also don't even need to have ever had significant capital because you didn't own the coins.

I'm not saying this about Laura or Legends. I wouldn't know, though they seem to have done okay. But you mentioned coin dealers in general. I know a lot of them who are not wealthy and are living largely paycheck to paycheck.

Coin economics are ridiculous compared to most retail. If I buy an ounce of gold, I'm going to spend $2000 to make at most $100. You probably have to buy 5 to 10 ounces of gold per week just to pay store expenses without any paycheck.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

@willy said:

He's talking about dealers building collections for clients.

Good point. Usually the dealers that build the best collections are the ones that build great relationships with collectors.

• Options
    Farmer1961Farmer1961 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

If Laura didn't release coin reports belittling less expensive coins referring to them as dreck or widgets I wouldn't have made the comment.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2024 6:51PM

@Farmer1961 said:
    If Laura didn't release coin reports belittling less expensive coins referring to them as dreck or widgets I wouldn't have made the comment.

Her message on dreck and widgets wasn't about price. Some of the dreck and widgets were expensive.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2024 7:13PM

@Zoins said:

@Farmer1961 said:

Her message on dreck and widgets wasn't about price. Some of the dreck and widgets were expensive.

That’s correct. While I didn’t like the use of those terms, they pertained much more to poor quality than value.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@Farmer1961 said:

That’s correct. While I didn’t like the use of those terms, they pertained much more to poor quality than value.

Dreck might be insulting, but widgets is pretty harmless and fairly descriptive in my opinion.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@Farmer1961 said:

Dreck might be insulting, but widgets is pretty harmless and fairly descriptive in my opinion.

Agree, my HR saint is a 40k+ widget.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@Farmer1961 said:

Yes. To me, "widget" just refers to a coin that you could buy any time you want one, irrespective of price.

• Options

@JW77 said:

Yes. To me, "widget" just refers to a coin that you could buy any time you want one, irrespective of price.

I guess that makes all my coins widgets. Honey, I'm heading to the safe deposit box to examine my widgets!

All the coins of most of us are probably widgets. The vast majority of all coins are widgets.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JW77 said:

I guess that makes all my coins widgets. Honey, I'm heading to the safe deposit box to examine my widgets!

All the coins of most of us are probably widgets. The vast majority of all coins are widgets.

I wouldn't take it that far, as widgets are characterized by uniformity. So a coin at any grade level that stands out from the crowd (through its color, strike or other distinguishing characteristic) isn't a widget.

I think that still leaves the vast majority as widgets. Of 10,000 MS65 1881-S Morgans, how many "stand out"? 10? 100?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JW77 said:

I wouldn't take it that far, as widgets are characterized by uniformity. So a coin at any grade level that stands out from the crowd (through its color, strike or other distinguishing characteristic) isn't a widget.

I think that still leaves the vast majority as widgets. Of 10,000 MS65 1881-S Morgans, how many "stand out"? 10? 100?

I'd guess a lot more than your higher number (representing 1%). To be fair, the distinguishing features needn't even be positive ones, right?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    I have never bought or sold a single coin from Legend or their auctions so it is of no consequence to me, sounds like it will be unfortunate for a few here.

Same.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@JW77 said:

I'd guess a lot more than your higher number (representing 1%). To be fair, the distinguishing features needn't even be positive ones, right?

1000? That still leaves "the vast majority" as widgets.

If the distinguishing features are negative, I think it becomes "dreck". 😉

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

It's subjective. I consider every single 1881-S Morgan in existence a "widget". (No different for many other scarcer but still very common coins.) Collectors overwhelmingly like it anyway.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2024 8:26AM

Too much focus on two words - widget and dreck.

There are 4 billion women on the planet. Does that make Taylor Swift a widget? :D Are the swifties all dreck? :D

Doug
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 3, 2024 8:35AM

@DMWJR said:
    I’m not particularly fond of the negative thoughts in this thread.

Too be fair, and I think you would agree, Laura tends to attract polarized opinions.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file