Home Precious Metals

Will BRICS replace the dollar as the world's reserve currency?

Comments

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@jmski52 said:
    Interesting to note that both biltzdude & coho use the “alien theory” whenever they have nothing to bring to the discussion.

It’s practically guaranteed!

At least Goldfinger makes an effort to regurgitate drivel from the Fed minutes and banking regs - all of which are designed to keep skimming freebies off of what’s left of the productive remnant of the economy via more debt and rehypothecation.

Even more interesting is that you and the doomsday crew bring us regurgitated cut and paste stories from Rickards, Butler, Webb and The Bulgarians continually calling for the collapse of America. You can fantasize about the demise of this great nation all you want but it just ain't happening. SMPR!

There are warnings and predictions about the future value of the US Dollar.

Folk have been saying that since 1792.

No doubt they will still be saying it come 2292. I will continue to bet on this great nation not against it. RGDS!

Isn't owning gold (like you do) a bet against the success of the economy and financial system ?

Not at all. The metal of kings is a portion of my well diversified investment portfolio. Sure in times of crisis it can outperform other assets but I don't sit around all day obsessing about the end of the world. Me gold as well as my stocks, bonds, real estate, cryptos etc. are all doing quite well. The economy is absolutely BOOMIN! The gutter was certainly a mistake but as they say you can't win them all.

The USD is amongst the strongest currencies on planet earth and has been for generations. The value of all fiat currency decreases over time. Good thing wages and investment gains far outpace any loss of purchasing power. Of course, if I were sitting around in my bunker all day filling my head with doom and gloom things may be different.

Go America. THKS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody I know is calling for the collapse of America.

I think that blitzie should put his money where his mouth is and sell his gold for more almighty dollars!

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@blitzdude said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@jmski52 said:
    Interesting to note that both biltzdude & coho use the “alien theory” whenever they have nothing to bring to the discussion.

At least Goldfinger makes an effort to regurgitate drivel from the Fed minutes and banking regs - all of which are designed to keep skimming freebies off of what’s left of the productive remnant of the economy via more debt and rehypothecation.

Even more interesting is that you and the doomsday crew bring us regurgitated cut and paste stories from Rickards, Butler, Webb and The Bulgarians continually calling for the collapse of America. You can fantasize about the demise of this great nation all you want but it just ain't happening. SMPR!

No doubt they will still be saying it come 2292. I will continue to bet on this great nation not against it. RGDS!

Yup....misery loves company.

The history of the US Dollar and other currencies is that they have lost purchasing power over time.
    The rate of decline has been accelerating since the 1960s.

It is reasonable to predict that trend to continue, and for it to continue to accelerate.

If the dollar disappeared tomorrow and was replaced by gold or applesauce, the relative value of assets such as equities, real-estate or precious metals would be unchanged.

Apple won't go bankrupt, your house will not implode, and farmers will still raise cattle and grown corn.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

If the dollar disappeared tomorrow and was replaced by gold or applesauce, the relative value of assets such as equities, real-estate or precious metals would be unchanged.

You need to know what David Webb has to say about that. All of your beautiful house of cards will evaporate, and all the equity that you think you have will along with it.

But your debt will remain. You will own nothing unless it's a real, physical asset, unencumbered by debt.

I knew it would happen.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

yet as it currently slowly disappears so does the value of all those assets. The complete disappearance of dollars and the repricing of assets in gold or applesauce does not guarantee they will hold their previous value. It is ultimately the pricing of the replacement currency in dollars that will determine new value.

When governments are in a panic, and threats cease to hold weight, they look to silence dissent. - Martin Armstrong

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

yet as it currently slowly disappears so does the value of all those assets. The complete disappearance of dollars and the repricing of assets in gold or applesauce does not guarantee they will hold their previous value. It is ultimately the pricing of the replacement currency in dollars that will determine new value.

The value of my assets are headed one direction and that's North. (Well except for the gutter, I know some of you like to consider that an asset. LOL). RGDS!

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@jmski52 said:

Isn't owning gold (like you do) a bet against the success of the economy and financial system ?

Not at all. The metal of kings is a portion of my well diversified investment portfolio. Sure in times of crisis it can outperform other assets but I don't sit around all day obsessing about the end of the world. Me gold as well as my stocks, bonds, real estate, cryptos etc. are all doing quite well. The economy is absolutely BOOMIN! The gutter was certainly a mistake but as they say you can't win them all.

The USD is amongst the strongest currencies on planet earth and has been for generations. The value of all fiat currency decreases over time. Good thing wages and investment gains far outpace any loss of purchasing power. Of course, if I were sitting around in my bunker all day filling my head with doom and gloom things may be different.

Go America. THKS!

Silver is a precious metal and an industrial metal. The silver prices is significantly determined by industrial demand. Most of that industrial demand is for "high-tech" such as electric vehicles, etc.

Although gold is also used in industry, its main price influence comes from being an alternate currency of sorts.

You continually rail against silver and hope and expect the price to drop. By doing so, you are rooting against the success of American industry because you expect silver demand to drop and the change to electric vehicles and robotics to fail.

Owning gold is a bet that financial conditions falter. You advocate owning gold and so that is as "anti-American" as anything you claim that other posters here are doing.

You also write about moving out of the city into the country and being self-sufficient by producing some of your own food, firewood, etc. So you are more bunker-oriented than anyone else that I know of here.

If you really believe entirely in America and the financial system, you should sell all your gold and silver and buy US Treasury bonds.

There is nothing "precious" about gutter metal. Cripes they don't even waste the time to mine for the stuff. It's almost exclusively a byproduct of copper mining. I could care less about what the price of gutter metal does except when I'm long the SLV. Enjoy the bunker. THKS!

edited December 29, 2023 1:56PM

@blitzdude said:
    There is nothing "precious" about gutter metal. Cripes they don't even waste the time to mine for the stuff. It's almost exclusively a byproduct of copper mining. I could care less about what the price of gutter metal does except when I'm long the SLV. Enjoy the bunker. THKS!

You also called platinum and palladium "gutter metal" because you don't know the definition of "precious metal".

The definition from Dictionary.com:

a metal of the gold, silver, or platinum group.

edited December 29, 2023 8:37PM

@blitzdude said:

The value of my assets are headed one direction and that's North. (Well except for the gutter, I know some of you like to consider that an asset. LOL). RGDS!

Lesson 326: That is because the currency they are valued in is going south. Prices determine value, inflation determines prices.

Inflation has fooled us into believing we are worth more. The reality is we are right where we were and in cases where income has not kept up with inflation we are worse off.

When governments are in a panic, and threats cease to hold weight, they look to silence dissent. - Martin Armstrong

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

So you're worried your house will lose all its value if dollars disappeared tomorrow?

@jmski52 said:

You need to know what David Webb has to say about that. All of your beautiful house of cards will evaporate, and all the equity that you think you have will along with it.

But your debt will remain. You will own nothing unless it's a real, physical asset, unencumbered by debt.

"Need" is a really strong word, jmski. But I get it. If I didn't understand how all this stuff works I'd be scared too.

• pmbugpmbug Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited December 30, 2023 4:54AM

Egypt, Ethiopia, Iran, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates are due to enter on 1 January.

No name for the expanded group has been announced, but it is thought it might be "Brics +".

Argentina was invited to join but its new president, Javier Milei, has said it will not.
    How will Russia use its 2024 Brics presidency?

Russia will host the Brics summit in Kazan in October.

Vladimir Putin has said he will use the presidency to:

• increase the role of Brics in the international financial system

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-66525474

Yelling at clouds on pmbug.com

With respect to the larger discussion on dollar hegemony, FYI and FWIW:

Principles for Dealing with the Changing World Order by Ray Dalio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xguam0TKMw8

I like Dalio and have seen his videos and read his books. He is well reasoned and rational. No fear mongering like "remove yourself from the system", or "they will control what you buy", or "they will confiscate your stocks".

• psuman08psuman08 Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

Excellent video, thanks for sharing. I agree that Dalio is well reasoned and rational.

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

So you're worried your house will lose all its value if dollars disappeared tomorrow?

I don't value my house in dollars, I value it in it's ability to provide comfort and to protect me from the cold and the rain. Dollars worthless? I'm still in comfort.

• CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only way Brics (or any other currency) has a shot is if they actually back their currency with gold.

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

I don't value my house in dollars, I value it in it's ability to provide comfort and to protect me from the cold and the rain. Dollars worthless? I'm still in comfort.

Until you move to the nursing home. Lol

But indeed, your house will retain value even if dollars disappear. Just as will ownership in a business, claims against a business, an automobile, a fishing reel or even an old oak tree. Society and life will continue on.

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Until you move to the nursing home. Lol

But indeed, your house will retain value even if dollars disappear. Just as will ownership in a business, claims against a business, an automobile, a fishing reel or even an old oak tree. Society and life will continue on.

but cash in the bank or under the mattress will take a huge hit. Currently taking lots of little hits (inflation).

• Peter89Peter89 Posts: 66 ✭✭

Let's give some colour to this thread :)

Jim Rickards says that the BRICS don’t have to back their currency with gold - all they have to do is to link it to gold and the dollar will do the rest.

To me, this means that the BRICS currency may or may not have a high value initially, but it will nevertheless have a theoretical convertibility with the dollar via the price of gold and thus it will enable payments (particularly for oil & natural resources) to be done outside of the Western financial system.

I knew it would happen.

.> @Peter89 said:

Let's give some colour to this thread :)

Is this like one of the election maps that shows which county voted for who? Those are so hilarious!!

Its one of those maps that doesn't fit your agenda. However it is reality.

edited January 8, 2024 7:12PM

@derryb said:

Yup....The reality that Mercator projection maps grossly distort land area away from the equator.

The agenda of contextual facts. The bane of conspiracists everywhere.

edited January 8, 2024 11:11PM

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Yup....The reality that Mercator projection maps grossly distort land area away from the equator.

Don't let your "facts" distort your view :*

PS:
    That is a Miller cylindrical projection (sans Antarctica).
    It is not the same as a standard Mercator projection.

G7 vs BRICs 10. And BRICs continues to grow. I'll put my money on BRICs dominating international payments.

• GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    G7 vs BRICs 10. And BRICs continues to grow. I'll put my money on BRICs dominating international payments.

Put your money in their banks. Show us -- don't tell us.

Give your money to Putin and the Chinese Communist Party. It's as safe as with the FDIC or Treasury market. :D

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

PS:

Miller is based on Mercator. Both grossly distort. Fact.

Is the point of the map to show distorted land area, or the economic might of the countries highlighted? The maps fails miserably at both.

Africa is 13x bigger than Greenland, yet if the map colored one red and the other blue, the reader would interpret them as being equal since they are show to be about equal on the map. This method of disseminating misinformation is swallowed with vigor by the ignorant.

But hey, it's good to misrepresent information as it keeps people stupid and easily controlled. Gotta love fleecing the sheeple!!!

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Houses are a Use Asset. 

edited January 9, 2024 11:01AM

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

PS:

Miller is based on Mercator. Both grossly distort. Fact.

Is the point of the map to show distorted land area, or the economic might of the countries highlighted? The maps fails miserably at both.

Africa is 13x bigger than Greenland, yet if the map colored one red and the other blue, the reader would interpret them as being equal since they are show to be about equal on the map. This method of disseminating misinformation is swallowed with vigor by the ignorant.

But hey, it's good to misrepresent information as it keeps people stupid and easily controlled. Gotta love fleecing the sheeple!!!

Nobody claimed that the surface area of the G7 vs BRICS had a lot of importance.
    Only you bring it up in an attempt to "distort" the issue.

But the population of each country has some importance here.
    https://ourworldindata.org/world-population-cartogram

it's good to misrepresent information as it keeps people stupid and easily controlled. Gotta love fleecing the sheeple!!!

Nobody I know thinks like that, unless they’re in government or the banking cartel.😗

I knew it would happen.

@dcarr said:

Yup...and now you get it. All those poor people. The number one item a housewife in India wants is a refrigerator.

edited January 10, 2024 6:06AM

@jmski52 said:
    it's good to misrepresent information as it keeps people stupid and easily controlled. Gotta love fleecing the sheeple!!!

Nobody I know thinks like that, unless they’re in government...

Well yes, and he's trying to get back in. Lol

I talk to people all day who are afraid to make decisions because of the "research" they do. They hunt for opinion they think is truth because it aligns with their bias or contempt. They get confused and become paralyzed. This leads to missing out on opportunity or being manipulated into doing something "they" want them to do.

It's a sad state we've created. So sad.

The above referenced chart, just as those that proliferated after the 2020 election, are created to influence the viewer into "seeing" something that isn't true. After all, seeing is believing, right? Those maps depict land area. Land area doesn't vote or make monetary or fiscal decisions.

Dcarr's map makes a little more sense, but it emphasizes the massive demographic problem the BRICS have.

The misinformation many folk gobble up is not limited to just these few charts or graphs. It permeates our everyday lives and influences everything we do.

I would just like folk to view in context. To understand what they are actually seeing and reading and to make decisions based on clear reason and rationalization, rather than fear, bias or contempt.

It's a tall task, but if we don't push back, then Lincoln -(who should have negotiated, lol)- will be proven correct again.

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

Yup...and now you get it. All those poor people. The number one item a housewife in India wants is a refrigerator.

Obviously, you still don't get it.

Although the people in India and other BRICS countries are generally poor, they have a lot of room for improvement and economic growth. G7 countries, especially Europe, have much more mature economies. But that also means that economic growth for them is much harder to come by and it will remain basically stagnant.

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:

Nobody I know thinks like that, unless they’re in government...

Well yes, and he's trying to get back in. Lol

I talk to people all day who are afraid to make decisions because of the "research" they do. They hunt for opinion they think is truth because it aligns with their bias or contempt. They get confused and become paralyzed. This leads to missing out on opportunity or being manipulated into doing something "they" want them to do.

It's a sad state we've created. So sad.

The above referenced chart, just as those that proliferated after the 2020 election, are created to influence the viewer into "seeing" something that isn't true. After all, seeing is believing, right? Those maps depict land area. Land area doesn't vote or make monetary or fiscal decisions.

Dcarr's map makes a little more sense, but it emphasizes the massive demographic problem the BRICS have.

The misinformation many folk gobble up is not limited to just these few charts or graphs. It permeates our everyday lives and influences everything we do.

I would just like folk to view in context. To understand what they are actually seeing and reading and to make decisions based on clear reason and rationalization, rather than fear, bias or contempt.

It's a tall task, but if we don't push back, then Lincoln -(who should have negotiated, lol)- will be proven correct again.

You are the only one focusing on land area (again).

@derryb said:

I see a bunch of capital-controlled countries where you can (sometimes) put money in or take it out.

You think a Roach Motel appeals to investors ? :D

@derryb said:
    Lesson 326: That is because the currency they are valued in is going south. Prices determine value, inflation >determines prices.
    Inflation has fooled us into believing we are worth more. The reality is we are right where we were and in cases >where income has not kept up with inflation we are worse off.

Real incomes and net worth have gone up for ages. The U.S. has one of the best inflation rates going back decades.

The BRICS are an inflationary disaster and yet you tout them. :o

@jmski52 said:
    Nobody I know thinks like that, unless they’re in government or the banking cartel.😗

A cartel is a small number of producers controlling a product or commodity, like OPEC.

There are over 4,000 banks.....1,000 credit unions....and hundreds of other financial lending firms.

Cartel ???? :D:D:D

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

Obviously, you still don't get it.

Although the people in India and other BRICS countries are generally poor, they have a lot of room for improvement and economic growth. G7 countries, especially Europe, have much more mature economies. But that also means that economic growth for them is much harder to come by and it will remain basically stagnant.

China will be the first country to grow old before it grew wealthy. China has a declining population and will have about 8% less folk in 25 years and 40% less by 2100.

Meanwhile, the USA will have a growing population.

The BRICS should be referred to as cement blocks.

edited January 11, 2024 10:54PM

@GoldFinger1969 said:

A cartel is a small number of producers controlling a product or commodity, like OPEC.

Like a relatively small group that controls monetary policy ?

We supposedly have a "free market" economy, but we have central planning of interest rates.

edited January 11, 2024 11:00PM

@dcarr said:
    We supposedly have a "free market" economy, but we have central planning of interest rates.

The Fed Chairman is appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate. We have 12 Regional Federal Reserve Banks. Hundreds, even thousands, of people have input into monetary policy. You simply aren't one of them since you lack the knowledge and experience. :)

I know that you think that folks like you with no understanding of monetary policy should be in control of the Fed, but just like you can't perform surgery without becoming an M.D....you can't have input into Fed policies without some expertise in monetary policy, banking, or finance. :)

@dcarr said:

It's not central planning. It's a bank that reacts to all the myriad factors affecting the economy, interest rates, the dollar, capital flows, asset prices, etc.

You have a better idea ? I'm all ears.... :)

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@dcarr said:

The Fed Chairman is appointed by the President and confirmed by the Senate. We have 12 Regional Federal Reserve Banks. Hundreds, even thousands, of people have input into monetary policy. You simply aren't one of them since you lack the knowledge and experience. :)

I know that you think that folks like you with no understanding of monetary policy should be in control of the Fed, but just like you can't perform surgery without becoming an M.D....you can't have input into Fed policies without some expertise in monetary policy, banking, or finance. :)

Your premise is entirely flawed. It assumes that there must be a "FED".

You want a free market economy ?
    Then let the free market set interest rates, not the Federal Reserve Bank cartel.

Here is how it should work:

Stop issuing Federal Reserve Notes and Issue a digital dollar via the US Treasury. Transaction fees on the usage of the digital currency go into the US Treasury and this system would replace "income taxes". Nobody would ever have to file tax returns again.

Monetary policy would be handled by the US Treasury by increasing the transaction fee rate (restrictive policy) or lowering it (stimulative policy).

You want politicians knowing where you spent every $1 ?

How does a digital dollar react to exogenous shocks ?

What happens when the transaction fees are onerous -- I'm stuck with dollars I can't spend ?

No thanks.

@dcarr said:
    Then let the free market set interest rates, not the Federal Reserve Bank cartel.

Stop issuing Federal Reserve Notes and Issue a digital dollar via the US Treasury. ...

Oh hell no. There is a simpler solution - go GAULT

@pmbug said:

@dcarr said:

Stop issuing Federal Reserve Notes and Issue a digital dollar via the US Treasury. ...

Oh hell no. There is a simpler solution - go GAULT

I like gold as a currency.
    But it doesn't solve the income tax problem or relieve us all of the burden of filing tax returns.
    The economy already pays a middle man (credit card companies) a 3% "tax" on the majority of day-to-day transactions.
    If the US Treasury were to issue a digital currency with a fee structure somewhat like credit cards, then that 3% (or similar) rake could replace income taxes.

@GoldFinger1969 said:
    You want politicians knowing where you spent every $1 ?

How does a digital dollar react to exogenous shocks ?

What happens when the transaction fees are onerous -- I'm stuck with dollars I can't spend ?

No thanks.

The government already knows (via credit card data).
    But anyone could still barter with gold or other assets.

Exogenous shocks could be tempered by temporarily lowering the transfer fee rate and/or paying out "bonuses" to every wallet. The total quantity of digital dollars would not be capped, and so more could be issued as needed (such as 2% more per year).

Transaction fees could be capped at 5% (or similar) by statute. Restrictive monetary policy could be further implemented by limiting the quantity of new digital dollars issued in a given year.

@dcarr said:

Restrictive monetary policy could be further implemented by limiting the quantity of new digital dollars issued in a given year.

They could do that now with paper money, but they don't, and they wouldn't.

"...paying out "bonuses" to every wallet." That's just more free handouts and certainly is not a free market.

We won't learn till we fail, but we are kind hearted and compassionate and certainly can't have failure. So we hand out participation awards, say "it's not your fault", and blame others. Weakness.

This discussion has been closed.