Home Precious Metals
Options

Will BRICS replace the dollar as the world's reserve currency?

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appears China is also converting its US dollars into gold:

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." - Albert Einstein

• Options

And BRICS will have no influence on the world stage? LOL

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." - Albert Einstein

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    dollar might be buying more yuan but it is buying less Spaghetti O's

Who needs Spaghett-Os when you can buy airline tickets...

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:
    NVDA has a higher market cap than the GDP of Russia.

MSFT is about equal to India.

Facebook is equal to South Africa.

Maybe we should be discussing those companies creating a currency. They might prove more competitive. Lol

If anything, those data points indicate that perhaps the stock market (especially "tech" stocks) is way over-priced relative to other things.

Facebook is basically worthless as far as I am concerned.

Well, they can reach 3 billion people in 2 seconds so it's highly unlikely they care about your opinion.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:
    dollar might be buying more yuan but it is buying less Spaghetti O's

Who needs Spaghett-Os when you can buy airline tickets...

That's pretty amazing. 5 out of the top 10 busiest travel days on record all occurred in the last 10 days. BOOMIN! THKS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited May 26, 2024 8:11AM

@blitzdude said:

That's pretty amazing. 5 out of the top 10 busiest travel days on record all occurred in the last 10 days. BOOMIN! THKS!

Do you think they were bought with cash or just piled on to the credit card debt? yes, it does matter when looking at the overall personal debt problem in this country.

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭

Can’t buy plane tickets with cash :)

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭

But I understand your question.

Got almost $800 in cash back last year, didn’t pay a penny in interest. Paid full at the end of every month.

• Options
    edited May 26, 2024 9:51AM

I'm with you - pay it in full each month and enjoy the perks. However. . .

credit card delinquency rate has doubled since 2021

and the debt itself is going ballistic:

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wingsrule said:

Got almost $800 in cash back last year, didn’t pay a penny in interest. Paid full at the end of every month.

That is good, but you still paid more than really necessary.
    Credit card fees average about 3% off the top.
    Merchants and businesses have higher prices to cover those fees.

If the credit card middle-man was cut out, everyone would save 3%.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@Wingsrule said:

but, you don't save that 3% if you use cash. Some gas stations offer a cash discount.

I was surprised to learn that waiter tips put on the credit card do not all go to the waiter. I now pay the tip in cash directly to the server.

• Options

Credit cards are wonderful. I use them everywhere I can. Points = Free Au. RGDS!

• Options

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

Do you think they were bought with cash or just piled on to the credit card debt? yes, it does matter when looking at the overall personal debt problem in this country.

If folk are flying and are using cards to finance the tickets because they don't have the cash, then that's a personal responsibility problem. But some here would say those folk are being "forced". Lol

• Options

@dcarr said:

@Wingsrule said:

Do you offer folk a 3% discount if they want to buy one of your products via check?

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

But some here would say those folk are being "forced". Lol

Funny, isn’t it?

Discussion about personal responsibility aside, I have very mixed feelings about your lack of empathy for those who can’t afford an annual wilderness fishing trip.

It’s true that some people simply don’t have the capacity to learn the basics of money management, but when 70% of the working population are living paycheck to paycheck (up from 64% just a couple months ago) then it’s a serious societal problem.

Laugh it up, but unless you are Bill Gates or Zuckerbucks or live in Martha’s Vineyard, it’s likely that you will eventually have to experience a bit of anxiety when the breakins start happening in your own little gated community, like they are now experiencing in Beverly Hills.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@cohodk said:

If folk are flying and are using cards to finance the tickets because they don't have the cash, then that's a personal responsibility problem. But some here would say those folk are being "forced". Lol

As far as I can tell the only time the "forced" word has been used concerning CC debt is when necessities such as food are bought and the buyer cannot afford to pay the CC bill. LOL

• Options

There will always be folk who can't afford life. Always has been, always will be. Some were dealt a bad hand, many were not. They choose to be lazy, poor stewards of money, have poor morals, or simply don't care. They are weak. What are we going to do about it?

I highly contest your assertion of 70% living paycheck to paycheck, as I stated a few weeks ago. Are there many that are struggling, of course. There are also many who are doing much better than 4 years ago.

You like to say everything is terrible while I say it ain't that bad.

You say folk in gated communities should be fearful because soon they will be overrun with hoodlums. I'm not worried. And not because my head is in the sand, but because I can see above the chaos, fear mongering, and misinformation.

Echo chambers are prisons.

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

As far as I can tell the only time the "forced" word has been used concerning CC debt is when necessities such as food are bought and the buyer cannot afford to pay the CC bill. LOL

Jmski says the evil banksters "force" debt on folk. All kinds of debt. It's in these threads, but I can't waste time proving again you wrong tonight. The Nascar race will resume soon.

And there are probably very few who are racking up CC debt for food. Those po' folk get free "money from thin air".

• Options

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@Wingsrule said:

Do you offer folk a 3% discount if they want to buy one of your products via check?

If someone asks to pay by check for a larger order I offer 5% discount.
    That applies to orders from my internet store, but not to commissioned projects (the latter is always expected to be paid by check upon project completion).

• Options

Greater availability of credit allows people and governments to bid up the cost of everything: housing; transportation; education; food; etc. Those who offer the credit become the middle-men, skimming 3% or more off the top of the economy.
    And there is very little risk to those middle-men. If things go sour, the government will bail them out and/or print more money. Commerce should not have to pay middle-men off the top all the time.

When we had a gold standard (that was adhered to), the availability of credit was much lower because banks were very cautious about loaning out gold. It was hard to get gold back if the loan was a loss. But with fiat, banks will loan much more freely because the fiat is relatively easy to replace compared to gold.

Look at the ridiculous high cost of attending college. Wide availability of student loans has contributed to that. With former students struggling to pay the debt (and many of them not paying at all), now we have student loan forgiveness. This may at first seem like the intended reason is to help out younger college graduates. But in reality it is to help out the banks that made the loans.

• Options

College should be free for all in this great nation. Uncle Sam financed my education. Semper!

• Options
    edited May 27, 2024 3:04PM

@blitzdude said:
    College should be free for all in this great nation. Uncle Sam financed my education. Semper!

How do you want the government to pay for that, higher taxes or more inflation ?

We already have too may college graduates who expect a "white-collar" job, and not enough "blue-collar" people to do the real work.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said “We already have too may college graduates who expect a "white-collar" job, and not enough "blue-collar" people to do the real work.”

I know what you mean and agree — with a caveat — a lot of “white collar” jobs are essential to the economy, require extremely hard work, etc. It’s real work. Without software engineers, for example, we wouldn’t be chatting here! 🤣

Higashiyama
  • Options

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

How do you want the government to pay for that, higher taxes or more inflation ?

We already have too may college graduates who expect a "white-collar" job, and not enough "blue-collar" people to do the real work.

Start by taxing billionaires. RGDS!

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    And BRICS will have no influence on the world stage? LOL

Yup. :D

Illiquid bond and stock markets...no rule of law....no private property rights....capital controls....bought-and-paid for judiciary.....only speculative capital need apply. :)

• Options

@blitzdude said:

It's never "free" -- just a question of WHO pays and HOW.

• Options

@dcarr said:
    But in reality it is to help out the banks that made the loans.

For you, it's always the banks. :D

The banking sector's exposure to student debt is non-existent. Don't you remember, Barack Obama cutting out the middleman to "help" students ? :D

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@blitzdude said:

It's never "free" -- just a question of WHO pays and HOW.

maybe free community college. Something to give the overpriced universities a bit of competition.

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@dcarr said:
    But in reality it is to help out the banks that made the loans.

For you, it's always the banks. :D

The banking sector's exposure to student debt is non-existent. Don't you remember, Barack Obama cutting out the middleman to "help" students ? :D

https://investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/081216/who-actually-owns-student-loan-debt.asp

From the web site:

"Student loans are owned by the federal government or private institutions, depending on the type of student loan. Federal student loans are owned by the U.S. Department of Education while private student loans are owned by the financial institution that granted them."

"The federal government fully guarantees almost all student loans."

More loans (even when they shouldn't be made) result in more profits for the financial institutions.
    And greater availability of student funding results in Universities being able to charge more.

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

No what part of No do you not understand.

Sovereign currencies

We lose Reserve status the world loses its balance completely

Stop with the u tube prognosticators and sensation news

• Options

@Soldi said:

A rebalance has occurred before. The world still spins.

• Options

Brazil just replaced the head of their flagship Petrobras, the partly-private national oil company which has some of the best salt deposits in the world.

They will have their 10th CEO in the last deacde...the 43rd CEO since 1957.

Anybody who thinks Brazil will be a major financial center, BRIC or not, is about 40 years too early. :D

• Options

Anybody who thinks Brazil will be a major financial center, BRIC or not, is about 40 years too early. :disappointed:

Nobody here in this forum has made such a statement.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:

We have plenty of people extolling the BRICs and I submit it's a non-entity.

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@jmski52 said:

The "extolling" is in the fact that the dollar is losing its status of a currency backed by military might. Iraq and Libya suffered the consequences of challenging the dollar. BRICS is simply demonstrating that there are countries who fear the weaponizing of the US dollar itself but no longer fear military backing of that dollar. With two of the world's superpowers, BRICS is too big to take on with a military fight over which currency will dominate. While the US is attempting such with a defacto war against the "R," it will not challenge the "C."

BRICS will not replace the dollar. It's members, however, will have a strong voice in what does. And something will replace the current world reserve currency. Something else always has when the owner of that currency loses power and its standing on the world stage.

Gold will be the beneficiary and is likely to be a part of the formula for what does become the "new" method of payment in the next world economy.

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@jmski52 said:

Warning, not "extolling".

• Options

@derryb said:

@Soldi said:

The British Pound was the world's dominant currency at one time. Now it is not.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@derryb said:

@Soldi said:

So were cattle, cowrie shells, and tulip bulbs. As much as you wish for the dollar to fail, we will not see it in our lifetimes. Nor will your beloved brics become the worlds reserve currency. God bless America! RGDS!

• Options

You are intentionally misusing the word “extoll” which means “to praise enthusiastically”.

Nobody here has “extolled” the formation of the BRICS. What’s being pointed out are the simple facts that numerous countries are trying to get away from the Western banking system because they no longer trust it.

There are two choices - stick one’s head several feet into the sand, or to see what’s happening and take actions in an attempt to mitigate the fallout.

The laws that enable the “great taking” which allow the banks to steal people’s unencumbered assets such as stocks & bonds during a financial crisis are a prime example of why that trust was lost.

Get your assets out of the banking & clearing organizations because you no longer have the property rights to that property and the banks have already gambled away your assets via derivatives.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@blitzdude said:

@dcarr said:

@derryb said:

@Soldi said:

So were cattle, cowrie shells, and tulip bulbs. As much as you wish for the dollar to fail, we will not see it in our lifetimes.

Are there those here with such a peanut for a brain that they actually believe that if one points out the inevitability of something happening the one doing the pointing out wishes for it to happen? If I say a hurricane is likely to strike this week it does not mean I want it to strike. Forum should require a minimum brain size in order to post.

Bearers of bad news do no necessarily wish that bad news to occur.

Nor will your beloved brics become the worlds reserve currency.

Yet BRICS is likely to expedite the end of the current one. LOL

• Options

@jmski52 said:

You are intentionally misusing the word “extoll” which means “to praise enthusiastically”.

Nobody here has “extolled” the formation of the BRICS. What’s being pointed out are the simple facts that numerous countries are trying to get away from the Western banking system because they no longer trust it.

Good for them. Please answer the question posed below if you disagree.

There are two choices - stick one’s head several feet into the sand, or to see what’s happening and take actions in an attempt to mitigate the fallout.

What's the fallout? Dcarr added that the British pound lost reserve currency status. What was the fallout?

The laws that enable the “great taking” which allow the banks to steal people’s unencumbered assets such as stocks & bonds during a financial crisis are a prime example of why that trust was lost.

What the heck are talking about?

• Options
    edited May 30, 2024 11:27AM

@cohodk said:

What's the fallout? Dcarr added that the British pound lost reserve currency status. What was the fallout?

Britain and its currency once ruled much of the world with colonies and trade dominance around the globe. It has since lost it's empire and has taken a back seat to the US in world affairs. Britain has been relegated the role of the lapdog for the US. Is that enough fallout for ya?

• Options

Great Britian is doing just fine. In fact, they too be BOOMIN! RGDS!!

• Options

.> @blitzdude said:

Credit cards are boomin.

• Options
    edited May 30, 2024 2:59PM

@blitzdude said:

@dcarr said:

@derryb said:

@Soldi said:

So were cattle, cowrie shells, and tulip bulbs. As much as you wish for the dollar to fail, we will not see it in our lifetimes. Nor will your beloved brics become the worlds reserve currency. God bless America! RGDS!

You lie.

I do not "wish" for the US Dollar to fail. Prove me wrong and quote any post where I did.
    BRICS are not "beloved" by me in the slightest. Prove me wrong and quote any post where I glorified them.

I do not live in, or want to live in, any BRICS country. And I do not personally know anybody that does.

Regardless, BRICS do pose a challenge to America's financial status.

The point is that the US Dollar, like the British Pound, will not remain the dominant currency in the world forever.

• Options

No currency in the history of mankind has remained the "dominant" world currency. What is certain is the world's next reserve currency certainly won't be courtesy of the BRICS. God Bless America! RGDS!

• Options
    edited May 30, 2024 3:11PM

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@dcarr said:

@derryb said:

@Soldi said:

You lie.

I do not "wish" for the US Dollar to fail. Prove me wrong and quote any post where I did.
    BRICS are not "beloved" by me in the slightest. Prove me wrong and quote any post where I glorified them.

I do not live in, or want to live in, any BRICS country. And I do not personally know anybody that does.

Regardless, BRICS do pose a challenge to America's financial status.

The point is that the US Dollar, like the British Pound, will not remain the dominant currency in the world forever.

Accept the fact that just like you see on TV news, there are some here who will say what they can in attempt to discredit those who offer views that do not fit the narrative. Just like mainstream media, they fail to see the value in opposing views and have convinced themselves that there is only one truth, their truth.

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Britain and its currency once ruled much of the world with colonies and trade dominance around the globe. It has since lost it's empire and has taken a back seat to the US in world affairs. Britain has been relegated the role of the lapdog for the US. Is that enough fallout for ya?

Not really. What did this mean for Joe six pack Londoner?

Would you want to get bit by that lap dog?

• Options

.> @cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

pretty sure that more than just one Englishman benefited from Britain's demise.

• Options

@derryb said:
    .> @cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

pretty sure that more than just one Englishman benefited from Britain's demise.

What is this demise you speak of?

This discussion has been closed.