Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

August is upon us! What did you add to your collection?

NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got this in yesterday.. Griffey's toughest minor league card to get (he only has 7 licensed ones). Print run of 1,300 on this Platinum parallel.

Also picked up this Doc rookie. One of those must have cards in the 80's.

Comments

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    Had a huge National - wanted to pick up the biggie I needed for either my '61 HOF Set or '68 HOF Set - found the right Mantle for '61 - down to only 9 left and none of them big cards.

Been looking for a '54 Williams in a 6 or 7 but have never found the right one until last week-end.

All Time Home Run Leaders is one of my favorite cards - finally have a high-grade one. My need for back-centering goes by the way-side on this because it does not exist.

The '52 Musial was an unbelievable find. It is just a gorgeous card in all respects.

The '59 Killebrew is really a pretty card - love the red border, the '57 Snider is an upgrade and I love the centering on it, '55 Mathews has been on my list for a long time, the '74 Aaron is a strong 7, the '61 Spahn has a centered back which is really tough on that card and the '61 leader I needed for my HOF set. The '70 Frank Robinson is a nice high number. Wanted to get either a '59 or '60 Berra and found the right '60.

I passed up on many cards I would have also liked to add as I ran out of funds! No regrets on what I purchased. Was really a great National for my collection.

hey brad31,
    Oh Wow... :)

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Musial is amazing and a very cool card. Congrats on that pick up.

I love that 73 HR Leader card. 3 of the top 5 players of all time on that. I've always loved that one.

That Snider is great too. The '57 set is one of my favorite sets. The photos are all pretty great and the minimal look is just classic (some of the designers on the modern sets could learn a thing or two by studying that one).

Congratulations on all those.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brad…

You broke the bank…unbelievable haul! My favorites r the 1952 Bowman Musial, 1959 Killebrew and 1957 Snider.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 841 ✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    Had a huge National - wanted to pick up the biggie I needed for either my '61 HOF Set or '68 HOF Set - found the right Mantle for '61 - down to only 9 left and none of them big cards.

Been looking for a '54 Williams in a 6 or 7 but have never found the right one until last week-end.

All Time Home Run Leaders is one of my favorite cards - finally have a high-grade one. My need for back-centering goes by the way-side on this because it does not exist.

The '52 Musial was an unbelievable find. It is just a gorgeous card in all respects.

The '59 Killebrew is really a pretty card - love the red border, the '57 Snider is an upgrade and I love the centering on it, '55 Mathews has been on my list for a long time, the '74 Aaron is a strong 7, the '61 Spahn has a centered back which is really tough on that card and the '61 leader I needed for my HOF set. The '70 Frank Robinson is a nice high number. Wanted to get either a '59 or '60 Berra and found the right '60.

I passed up on many cards I would have also liked to add as I ran out of funds! No regrets on what I purchased. Was really a great National for my collection.

Are you sure that Musial is not a modern reprint? LOL Wow, the color.
    The Killebrew print quality is amazing, and the Yogi and Spahn are photo quality.
    And yes, Aaron is still the HR King in my book.
    The background of the Mantle is so uniform and clean.
    The Duke card is just great photography and editing.
    You have a great eye, and The National is made for collectors like you.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2023 8:50PM

Think Jones will eventually make the HOF. Nice pick-up.

• Options
    4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Beautiful Staubach.
    That appears to be one of his better ones ? Some others are sloppier ?
    I’m asking, not saying.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@4for4 said:
    Beautiful Staubach.
    I’m asking, not saying.

Agreed. His signature has definitely gotten a bit less defined over the last few years. I loved the clairty of this one on the rookie as well as the thin marker rather than the round Sharpie. I do think using the standard Sharpie makes a clear signature much more difficult.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

@Kid4hof03 said:

@4for4 said:
    Beautiful Staubach.
    I’m asking, not saying.

Agreed. His signature has definitely gotten a bit less defined over the last few years. I loved the clairty of this one on the rookie as well as the thin marker rather than the round Sharpie. I do think using the standard Sharpie makes a clear signature much more difficult.

My exact thoughts.
    More clear and precise.
    Defensive ends hitting his throwing/writing hand over the years may make it easier for him to use a smaller sharpie. Just a guess.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    Did not attend the National, as I am in Europe, yet when I was told of this card's existence I was very thankfully able to have Heritage take swift action on my behalf and secure it at the show for me. The adrenaline rush will likely remain for a few years LOL!

Of the already small amount of signed 1952 Topps Mantles that exist, this is the earliest known signature and the only known "playing days" signature on a 52T Mantle, with provenance detailing both its original pack-pulling and its signing on Friday, March 29, 1968. Also the only one to feature the extra writing ("Best Wishes"). To be able to know who pulled your 52T Mick from the pack is amazing. To be able to know the exact date and location that Mantle held and signed it is amazing. To have both of those provenance details in one card is nothing short of a baseball card collecting miracle :)

Here is a Forbes article with some more details about the card:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidseideman/2017/08/09/lucky-phys-ed-teacher-auctions-off-100000-1952-card-that-mickey-mantle-signed-for-free/

All I have for now is a blurry picture of a picture. Will get nice scans done when in hand.

Wow. What an amazing acquisition including the provenance! This deserved its own thread! Congrats on an awesome pickup and even a better story behind the card.

• Options

@MantleFan23 said:

@DM23HOF said:
    Did not attend the National, as I am in Europe, yet when I was told of this card's existence I was very thankfully able to have Heritage take swift action on my behalf and secure it at the show for me. The adrenaline rush will likely remain for a few years LOL!

Of the already small amount of signed 1952 Topps Mantles that exist, this is the earliest known signature and the only known "playing days" signature on a 52T Mantle, with provenance detailing both its original pack-pulling and its signing on Friday, March 29, 1968. Also the only one to feature the extra writing ("Best Wishes"). To be able to know who pulled your 52T Mick from the pack is amazing. To be able to know the exact date and location that Mantle held and signed it is amazing. To have both of those provenance details in one card is nothing short of a baseball card collecting miracle :)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidseideman/2017/08/09/lucky-phys-ed-teacher-auctions-off-100000-1952-card-that-mickey-mantle-signed-for-free/

All I have for now is a blurry picture of a picture. Will get nice scans done when in hand.

Wow. What an amazing acquisition including the provenance! This deserved its own thread! Congrats on an awesome pickup and even a better story behind the card.

Agree.
    Great article/story.
    Makes the card even better.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:

@DM23HOF Wow! If I read the pop report correctly, there are only 19 signed 1952 Topps Mantles in existence, and yours is the first that he signed.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2023 8:42AM

DM23HOF…

Did Heritage Auctions pull the card from its auction as it does not close until mid August?

I noticed in the Forbes article that it is in an SGC holder…but then it is in a PSA holder w/serial # beginning w/2xxxxxxx in your post which indicates an earlier encapsulation by PSA than the serial #s currently being used by PSA (7xxxxxxx ). How did that happen? Help me out here…I’m confused.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2023 8:46AM

@mintonlypls said:
    DM23HOF…

Did Heritage Auctions pull the card from its auction as it does not close until mid August?

I noticed in the Forbes article that it is in an SGC holder…but then it is in a PSA holder w/serial # beginning w/2xxxxxxx in your post which indicates an earlier encapsulation by PSA than the serial #s currently being used by PSA (7xxxxxxx ). How did that happen? Help me out here…I’m confused.

The article is from 2017.

It had since been crossed. I did not obtain it from auction; Heritage handled the purchase for me at the National this past weekend as I was overseas.

• Options
    edited August 3, 2023 8:53AM

Thx for the clarification! Read this b4 my first cup of coffee…

mint_only_pls
  • Options

Thanks for all the kind words. It is fun to share my finds with fellow collectors.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 878 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:
    Got this in yesterday.. Griffey's toughest minor league card to get (he only has 7 licensed ones). Print run of 1,300 on this Platinum parallel.

really great looking cards!

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lwehlers said:

@NGS428 said:

really great looking cards!

Thanks! I have been looking for a solid for the grade platinum for a few years. Everyone wants and arm and a leg for one, but thankfully this seller from by San Bernardino, CA was willing to do a little back and forth.

84FU has centering issues most of the time. If you have searches for Clemens or Puckett rookies you know what I mean. Had to sacrifice a bit of tilt for some decent centering.

Thanks again! Always look forward to your purchase too!

• Options
    edited August 4, 2023 1:28AM

@BPorter26 said:
    My only National pickup as far as a graded card, which was a Julius Erving RC PSA 8. Prior to the National I picked up a nice PSA 4.5 I cracked out to have the doctor to sign while at the Natty. I also picked up the 1984-85 MJ Star 101 a week before the National

Great stuff. Is Dr J around 3 bills for his rookie sig

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@4for4 said:

Unfortunately, he is and also 3 bills to sign the Bird / Magic rookie.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2023 6:23AM

@BPorter26 said:

@4for4 said:

Unfortunately, he is and also 3 bills to sign the Bird / Magic rookie.

Understandable. Messier was only $150 plus $80 inscription. I hear Orr is $700. I think rookie card signatures will only continue to rise in the future. Fanatics just had a private signing with Austin Matthews with send ins. But you couldn’t send in rookie cards. We think Fanatics wants to corner the market on those. We all know where Brady already is, and I think companies like Fanatics will try to sign superstars the way UD did with Gretzky and Lemieux and say no more rookie card signings. We’ll see what the future holds.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options

I am betting Austin Matthews has an exclusive with Upper Deck on signing cards since they have the hockey license.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    Did more selling versus buying at the National, but kept the powder dry for some AH stuff and bigger cards down the road. Did snag a card off. My secondary list and it is a decent mid grade card that has pretty decent eye appeal. Not a high priced monster but fun to look at and enjoy, and really like how the blues pop on this one.

KC

High priced monster is all relative of course! This is a perfectly centered gem of a Jackie. Great card as usual. :smile:

• Options

@rmh111985 said:
    A nice crisp Schmidt auto that recently arrived. As a lifelong Phillies fan, this is definitely a cool piece to pick up on the cheap.

Beautiful auto of a great player.
    For me cards are even better when signed. That one is sweet.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options

@DM23HOF said:

I just read this story again and have a question.

Was the previous owner of these signed Mantle’s the only remaining living person from the story ?

If so, is there any documentation from the others involved, who are now deceased, that this actually happened, to back up his claim ?

It’s just a strange story about how he “lost” all these wonderful cards but was able to keep these two. Smells a little fishy to me, but stranger things have happened.

I realize this isn’t a joyful response to this purchase, but being that you are the new owner, just wondering if there is any other rock solid provenance besides just his story.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vagabond said:
    WOW. That is quite a haul. Impressive. Most people don't even send that in two years on cards. Very nice.

For me, I just picked up two cards at this year's National. Happy to add these to my collection. First time owning the Lebron but as for the 84 Fleer Donnie, I owned a copy back around 2013/2014 but sold it in early 2016. Always wanted another one. Hopefully I'll keep this one in my collection for a very long time.

From someone who's had his fair share of '84 Mattingly's over the years that's a nice one. You did well :)

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 554 ✭✭✭✭

@hyperchipper09 said:

From someone who's had his fair share of '84 Mattingly's over the years that's a nice one. You did well :)

Thank you.