Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A New Side Collection - Civil War Store Card Tokens (any advice)

NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 5, 2023 11:42AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I am dedicated to my Half Cent Collection, but was looking for something to do on the side because the coins left in my set are all expensive and hard to find. My goal was to find a side collection that is historical, interesting, but would not become so expensive that it competes in budget with the Half Cents. After a lot of consideration, I landed on Civil War Store Tokens.

So far I have...
1. Ordered the Fuld Book on Store Cards
2. Joined the Civil War Token Society
3. Ordered every book that the CWTS offered as a promo to members
4. Started reading CWTS publications on the NNP
5. Found two dealers who specialize in Tokens - Steve Hayden and Cole Hendrikson

Here is what I need to do:

1. Build a target list of preliminary tokens that I like
  2. Build-out pricing budget by coin
  3. Start buying tokens.
  4. Join the Token and Medal Society (TAMS)

Here are my problems/questions:
1. Where do I find reliable pricing data for tokens?
2. Where are the other specialty dealers to locate material?
3. Are there additional online resources for tokens? Other great books?
4. Who are the token experts here on the boards for me to read-up on their posts?

Any advice from the experts in this area would be appreciated. Thanks

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

Comments

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not CWT expert, but you're already doing a lot of good prep. Just read as much as possible, look at as many as you can, in person or even online.
    There are enough R1-R3 store cards out there to keep you busy and keep it affordable.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2023 5:21PM

I’m not the expert you need, but like you, I find myself being drawn to Civil War Tokens, store cards and merchant tokens. For me it is a fun, relatively cheaper diversion from working on my registry sets.

I just bought a copy of this book and I’m hoping it will give me a ballpark guide to what they are worth so I don’t accidentally overpay. I hope so at least

Mr_Spud

• Options
    edited July 5, 2023 5:40PM

@Mr_Spud thanks for the image of the catalog. I will have to check that out. I agree that the pricing is very challenging. I cannot seem to get good baselines, as comparable tokens have sold for very different prices.

Also I am unsure on how to proceed in terms of going with graded vs raw examples. With thousands of token designs, it would make sense that many are still ungraded. However, I want to collect these in nicer condition coins and there does not seem to be a large cost delta between graded and raw examples of similar quality. It would be great for someone who has the pricing area for these figured out to chime-in.

@ChangeInHistory - I appreciate the kind words. I will continue to study until moving forward, and will pick-up a piece here and there as I learn and take it slow. I agree that the R1s and R2s are affordable, but there seem to be plenty of R4s and R5s in that category also. But, I am still trying to learn and map it out in my head first (but, plans have a way of changing as I learn).

Thanks again for the replies. I will happily listen to any sagely advice from token collectors.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NeophyteNumismatist said:
    Also I am unsure on how to proceed in terms of going with graded vs raw examples. With thousands of token designs, it would make sense that many are still ungraded. However, I want to collect these in nicer condition coins and there does not seem to be a large cost delta between graded and raw examples of similar quality. It would be great for someone who has the pricing area for these figured out to chime-in.

My input: collect by eye appeal, graded or ungraded. Unlike most US coins, a majority of the best pieces are still raw. On top of that, CWT’s are harder to grade (think of all the poorly struck and severely die-eroded pieces out there) and the TPG’s are relatively new at grading them. That means that the slabbed stuff is inconsistently graded and you can find some super undergraded and super overgraded stuff. Determine for yourself whether the highest graded pieces are the best pieces.

And always question the experts! There are folks with a lot of knowledge in this area, but there is still a lot to be discovered! What was once true, written about decades ago and repeated many times since, may no longer be accurate.

Also, there are too many CWTs to collect them all (unless you have endless time and money). Pick a theme and specialize in it. You will be rewarded later on.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2023 6:47PM

I was disappointed with the CWT section of the big blue Rulau book. The coverage not good, and the prices are now very dated. The late Brian Kanzenger wrote an excellent price guide 15 or 20 years ago unfortunately he passed on, and the prices are old.

Pricing CWTs is complicated. The guide books price them by rarity rating and condition, but it’s harder than that. Most Monitor tokens are common R-1 and 2, but they bring a lot more than other common tokens because they are popular. Tokens with interesting artwork bring more. Plain pieces are cheaper. Pieces with an interesting history are worth more. Tokens from hard to get states, like West Virginia and Kentucky are more expensive. Single merchant towns can be worth more.

I was shocked to see dealers asking $59 for common tokens at the Winter FUN show. When I was a dealer, they were $10 to $15.

Most collectors specialize in a certain area. A few go for everything. Super generalist collections might go up to 5,500 varieties.

I specialized in New England CWTs when I lived there. It’s a challenging set, despite the fact there aren’t that many token. I collected the Wealth of South pieces (tough and expensive) and the Wisconsin tokens by John Marr, the engraver. It’s really whatever you might enjoy.

And, yes, I collected half cents by die varieties in the 1980s, but I slammed into a wall with that collection. I met Roger Cohen several times and bought some coins from him.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always liked CWT's and owned a few years ago. If it were me, I'd specialize and pick a state and focus on the store cards. Then maybe add a few general patriotics.

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget about the Civil War Token Mega thread on this forum, lots of good stuff in there.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options

@DCW I was thinking that I would start by just picking the designs I like best. The "Good for a Scent" token is on my list. There is some very interesting artwork, and whacky occupations and slogans. I also love the idea of collecting the die sinkers, because they are the artists that made to tokens in the first place. I also love the idea of collecting all of the coin dealer cards. There are so many fun roads to go down, that I feel like a squirrel crossing the road.

Your tokens are lovely, BTW!

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

I agree with BillJones, the CWT section of the Rulau book is very outdated. I have a copy of A Guide Book of Civil War Tokens by Bowers and it's significantly better. I see you already found Steve Haden, he has great material, but it's not cheap.

I collect New York material:

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1040366/the-civil-war-token-mega-thread#latest

Check out the thread above for some great info and pieces we have shared on this forum.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't waste your time or money buying the common ones. Buy fewer but better tokens ... rare cities/businesses/interesting subject matter.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Thanks @BillJones . I enjoy reading your posts. You share your knowledge in the humblest, most fascinating way. Thanks for this.

• Options

Love the under type on those @calgolddiver !

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neo. Stephanie(coinsarefun) would be someone I would speak with. She is very knowledgeable and can provide invaluable info to assist in your endeavor. Best luck.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    InlanderInlander Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

I've collected civil war tokens on and off over the years... rarity and eye appeal are a big dead when it comes to sell... that and patience.

• Options

Thanks @jesbroken .

@coinsarefun , if you have any advice for a new token collector like me, I would be happy to listen. I know a little about copper, but tokens are pretty foreign territory for me. I know I like them, and I am more attracted to store cards. Beyond this I am lost, but getting the resources to properly educate myself.

Happy to speak publicly or privately at your discretion. Thanks in advance.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow @BillJones and @calgolddiver. Fantastic pieces.

I started collecting CWT's last year and it's been incredibly fun. Joined the CWTS, bought the books and keep eye on the dealer websites already mentioned.

I love the history and the fact that I can get so much more rarity and eye appeal for the money. So far, I've simply purchased what I like (intriguing design or interesting theme plus eye appeal) and am building toward a Box of 20. These were my first two acquisitions from 2022:

• Options

Very nice @Project Numismatics ! Any advice you can glean from your first two years? Sometimes I get great advice from those that are just a little ahead of me, because the learning curve is fresh in the mind.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2023 9:45PM

@NeophyteNumismatist , I really like the one you just bought, the design of the guy in the Long shirt looks cool.

Below is my new favorite token. I purchased it recently off of eBay. Full disclosure - I copied the text from the auction description, I don’t know all that stuff just yet. Also the coin pictures are from the auction, I asked permission from the seller because I liked how he captured the color. I have no idea if I overpayed or not too, I just know that I really like everything about how it looks.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

another good reference for the topic.

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options

@Project Numismatics thank you !

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options

@NeophyteNumismatist thank you! the host coin really stands out in these examples.

• Options

Very nice @Project Numismatics ! Any advice you can glean from your first two years? Sometimes I get great advice from those that are just a little ahead of me, because the learning curve is fresh in the mind.

I think you are doing all the right things and doing a better job of it than I did!

• Options

Thanks @Mr_Spud . I really like the Andrew Jackson/Snake token, too. It's one of the Patriotic tokens that are on my list (which is getting long). I really like the color of yours! Nice choice.

Like you, I have no idea how to effectively price these tokens. I also noticed that some of the tokens I "watch" on eBay the sellers come back with significant discounts (ie. I watched a token that was $150, and the dealer came back right away at $100...thats 33% before we even start talking). Likewise, there are serious swings on the same coin in the same grade (I realize this happens in all coins, but it seems moreso in tokens). This tells me that the prices are inflated from the start.

It will take some time for me to develop in this area... happy to learn with others :)

@Project Numismatics - You are too kind, and I sincerely doubt I am doing "any better" than you did. This is an esoteric specialty with it's own nuances and lots to learn. When it comes to numismatics, I am still wearing my training wheels... but I am still loving the ride :) .

• Options

Thanks @Mr_Spud . I really like the Andrew Jackson/Snake token, too. It's one of the Patriotic tokens that are on my list (which is getting long). I really like the color of yours! Nice choice.

Like you, I have no idea how to effectively price these tokens. I also noticed that some of the tokens I "watch" on eBay the sellers come back with significant discounts (ie. I watched a token that was $150, and the dealer came back right away at $100...thats 33% before we even start talking). Likewise, there are serious swings on the same coin in the same grade (I realize this happens in all coins, but it seems moreso in tokens). This tells me that the prices are inflated from the start.

It will take some time for me to develop in this area... happy to learn with others :)

@Project Numismatics - You are too kind, and I sincerely doubt I am doing "any better" than you did. This is an esoteric specialty with it's own nuances and lots to learn. When it comes to numismatics, I am still wearing my training wheels... but I am still loving the ride :) .

I bought those two tokens before I bought the books and joined the CWTS - I got a bit too excited!

Once I bought the books, I slowed down and took more time to learn. I am still very happy with those first two tokens, but it would have been wiser to do more research first like you are doing.

I will say though that some CWTs are quite rare and it does occasionally make sense to jump on one if its R8/R9/R10 and you have interest - it might not be offered for sale again!

• Options

@Project Numismatics For what it's worth, both of those tokens are on my list... and I don't see them coming off. The "Good for a Scent" token is so whimsical and cool, and the "Wealth of the South" provides a rare glimpse into pro-confederate coinage. To me, both of them are important enough to add. I know both designs are expensive, so I am definitely going to be looking-out for those specifically as I better understand the market.

I would love to hear more about the path you took and decisions you made along the way. What were your best decisions? What were your decisions that could have been better? How did you pick a direction in a vast area? Or, are you just buying tokens that speak to you?

...For the rest of the CWT collectors, too. How did you get into it? What where the best decisions you made while collecting CWTs? What was the mistake you made that you now keep in mind whenever buying a token? If you picked an area of specialty, how did process that?

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have some awesome pieces @BillJones

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did the same and started a side set of my hometown tokens. I originally was going to do a box of 10 or 20, but the prices of things like Good for a Scent and wealth of the South run into the thousands.

My advice is the recognize how rare some of these are and snap those up ASAP, and wait for the right price in the more available popular tokens

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Civil War Tokens are a rich and interesting area! I'm glad you decided to jump in @NeophyteNumismatist.

I just jumped in and started picking up what I thought were eye appealing specimens.

Here are a few of mine:

• Options

Totally agree @Zoins ... and your tokens are beautiful. Are you focusing in NY, or did it just work out that way?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2023 9:04PM

Totally agree @Zoins ... and your tokens are beautiful. Are you focusing in NY, or did it just work out that way?

Thanks for the compliments!

It just worked out that way.

I got the 1st and 3rd ones due to the money-related "Time is Money" and "Money Makes the Mare Go" slogans which I like.

I got the "For Public Accommodation" token due to the toning and that I like store card tokens from Civil War Token die sinkers. The fact that the Money Makes the Mare Go token is also a die sinker store card is a bonus.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @jesbroken .

@coinsarefun , if you have any advice for a new token collector like me, I would be happy to listen. I know a little about copper, but tokens are pretty foreign territory for me. I know I like them, and I am more attracted to store cards. Beyond this I am lost, but getting the resources to properly educate myself.

Happy to speak publicly or privately at your discretion. Thanks in advance.

There has been a ton of great information posted already and I thank those who think I’m queen token lady…..but,
    not sure I fully fit into that category.
    I have sold the majority of my collection consisting of toned world coins, US toned type set coins.
    Hard times tokens, civil war tokens, merchant tokens and medals.
    Now that I’m retired I am starting to return to my website coinsarefun.com and stating writing articles about tokens
    and so many other things. It’s s small start but if you chose to go to the site click on the tab Coinsarefun research tabs.
    In 3-5 months it should be even more informative with me writing things and haven’t a few forum member here also
    That have written articles. I’m trying to put it into an easy to read and search website.

In the meantime the King of tokens and coins was Frank aka @Broadstruck.
    He was a wealth of information when he passed away recently we lost a good soul, and
    vast knowledge. This link will take you to his posts that he wrote.
    Some pics are missing but he discusses a ton of great material

https://forums.collectors.com/profile/discussions/Broadstruck

The last several years I’ve changed somewhat. I’ve gotten away from cwt’s and hard times tokens.
    I was also into British Conder tokens. But only have a few left. Selling most of what I had got me thinking
    what I really enjoy collecting. And, it’s pictorials, merchant tokens. All the way into the early 50-60’s.
    There are some fantastic and certainly rare items that have the look I’m after.
    I’ve also gotten into So called dollars, but, slugs in particular.
    Two other adventures have been heraldic Art medals and ANA coin club medals.
    Most are incredibly rare and low mintages and are still affordable.
    This are my recommendations to you. If you want to stick to one set of tokens that’s fine. After all you need to be happy
    in what you collect or it’s not worth collecting. In a nutshell, I’m all over the place collecting what I think has superior
    eye appeal. Doesn’t have to be super rare but nice high quality pieces are what I search for.

If you want to pm me for more info please feel free as I can go on forever.
    I can give you links of other types of tokens I collect as well.
    I will stop rambling as most here know I’m capable of doing so :D
    Look forward to our pm’s and getting my website information going so you can see what you like to collect.
    And……your first piece is just beautiful, right up my alley!

Stefanie

• Options

@coinsarefun -thanks so much for responding. I will definitely PM you. I am looking for all the information I can get.

And, thanks for you kind words on my first token. I really have no idea what I am doing, and just was dying to get my first token and knew I really liked that one. That said, I would like to "buy smarter" moving forward (which is not to say I feel like I made a mistake or regret the purchase.... I just don't know this market at all and there are clear differences from the coin market).

• Options

@coinsarefun -thanks so much for responding. I will definitely PM you. I am looking for all the information I can get.

And, thanks for you kind words on my first token. I really have no idea what I am doing, and just was dying to get my first token and knew I really liked that one. That said, I would like to "buy smarter" moving forward (which is not to say I feel like I made a mistake or regret the purchase.... I just don't know this market at all and there are clear differences from the coin market).

There is nothing wrong with the R.R. Parker Shirt token. I sold probably three or four of them when I was dealer. I liked the design but decided not to keep one.

It's a lot more interesting that the endless number of pieces with an Indian head on the obverse and only words, with the merchant's name, on the reverse. Those are great if you want to get every token from a state or town, but they generally did not attract me.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Here is a neat group to assemble, but it's very pricey. These are four 1860 presidential candidates.

These are most often found with the "President's House" reverse as seen on this Lincoln piece.

Finding the Lincoln piece with this reverse is harder. I believe that this one was struck and used during the 1860 presidential campaign given the plating and the hole. It has Andrew Jackson's pro-union quote on the reverse.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like you may have made this change in direction about 86 years to late. :D Here's a ad from a February 1937 issue of the Numismatic Scrapbook that could have gotten you off to a good start.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

@Mr_Spud said:
    @NeophyteNumismatist , I really like the one you just bought, the design of the guy in the Long shirt looks cool.

Below is my new favorite token. I purchased it recently off of eBay. Full disclosure - I copied the text from the auction description, I don’t know all that stuff just yet. Also the coin pictures are from the auction, I asked permission from the seller because I liked how he captured the color. I have no idea if I overpayed or not too, I just know that I really like everything about how it looks.

• Options
    edited July 19, 2023 9:04AM

delete - duplicate

• Options
    edited July 19, 2023 9:04AM

deleted - triplicate

• Options

@Mr_Spud said:

• Options
    edited July 19, 2023 9:06AM

delete - quintuplicate post (sheesh - sorry)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file