Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

show me the oldest coin in your collection

mikee999mikee999 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tcollects -thanks. I bought this coin off a floor mate when I was in college, many moons ago. And at the time, not knowing if it was real or fake!

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2023 8:56AM

@SmEagle1795 said:
    While remaining a topic of debate by some, this type (a Lydian trite) is commonly considered to be the first official coin, meeting all of the requirements laid out in the accepted definition: it is the first coin to have certified markings which signify a specific exchange value and be issued by a governmental authority for use as money. Earlier coins like the striated and geometric types failed to clearly meet the final criteria, whereas the lion was consistently associated with Lydia.

Kings of Lydia. Alyattes, circa 620/610-560 - Third of siglos or Trite, Sardes before 561, EL 4.69 g. Head of lion l. with open jaws; in l. field, falfel in archaic characters. Rev. Bipartite rectangular incuse punch. Artemision, White Gold, 77. SNG von Aulock –. SNG Kayhan –

Amazing coin! I never get tired of looking at it!

What are the contenders for the very first coin? Are they also from Lydia or are they from other places?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tibor said:

U.S. entry

Love that it's a "King" coin :)

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jkrk said:
    !.......

Oldest dated coin that I own (haven't dated since) ... Purchased before my age of enlightenment.. (one of 6 non gold coins that I own).

Nice BB-115! That was (in auction) at Central States 14 years ago. Never saw a mint state one of those. In the census I maintain, it is in the condition census, tied at #9 with an NGC AU50 that sold at Long Beach in 2016. (I settled for a PCGS VF25 CAC for my own set.)

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oldest US:

Oldest Overall (with date):

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file