Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

show me the oldest coin in your collection

2»

Comments

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

177? Machin's mills half penny found with a metal detector and a 1782 "Mexican" 1 Real dug from a garden.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    lobo54lobo54 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

I would rather join with an army of sheep led by a lion, than an army of lions led by sheep.

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@SmEagle1795 said:
    While remaining a topic of debate by some, this type (a Lydian trite) is commonly considered to be the first official coin, meeting all of the requirements laid out in the accepted definition: it is the first coin to have certified markings which signify a specific exchange value and be issued by a governmental authority for use as money. Earlier coins like the striated and geometric types failed to clearly meet the final criteria, whereas the lion was consistently associated with Lydia.

Kings of Lydia. Alyattes, circa 620/610-560 - Third of siglos or Trite, Sardes before 561, EL 4.69 g. Head of lion l. with open jaws; in l. field, falfel in archaic characters. Rev. Bipartite rectangular incuse punch. Artemision, White Gold, 77. SNG von Aulock –. SNG Kayhan –

Amazing coin! I never get tired of looking at it!

What are the contenders for the very first coin? Are they also from Lydia or are they from other places?

Thanks! And yes, the earliest coinage all originated from Ionia and Lydia, minted in electrum prior to the move to gold and silver.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2023 10:18AM

@SmEagle1795 said:

@Zoins said:

@SmEagle1795 said:
    While remaining a topic of debate by some, this type (a Lydian trite) is commonly considered to be the first official coin, meeting all of the requirements laid out in the accepted definition: it is the first coin to have certified markings which signify a specific exchange value and be issued by a governmental authority for use as money. Earlier coins like the striated and geometric types failed to clearly meet the final criteria, whereas the lion was consistently associated with Lydia.

Kings of Lydia. Alyattes, circa 620/610-560 - Third of siglos or Trite, Sardes before 561, EL 4.69 g. Head of lion l. with open jaws; in l. field, falfel in archaic characters. Rev. Bipartite rectangular incuse punch. Artemision, White Gold, 77. SNG von Aulock –. SNG Kayhan –

Amazing coin! I never get tired of looking at it!

What are the contenders for the very first coin? Are they also from Lydia or are they from other places?

Thanks! And yes, the earliest coinage all originated from Ionia and Lydia, minted in electrum prior to the move to gold and silver.

It's pretty cool that the earliest coinage was from what is present day Turkey. I’ve visited Ephesus, considered to be the most important city in Ionia. It's nice to imagine these coins being used there.

• Options
    Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭

Oldest world coins:

1738 1 Groschen from the German state of Reuss-Obergreiz and 1764 Prussian 1/6 Thaler

Oldest Ancient that I cared enough to identify: URBS ROMA Romulus and Remus Commem from Constantine the Great circa 330AD

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,883 ✭✭✭✭✭

1642 A Half Ecu- not the oldest... but is a picture to share

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭

This could be the newest oldest coin:

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

The oldest and lowest graded in my collection.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF40 O-106 R-3
    PCGS Link

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    TimNHTimNH Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

The first three chronologically in my self-styled "colonial type set"

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭✭

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Currently, my oldest copper coin:

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

And my oldest coin, overall:

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭✭✭

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those staples scare me... :#

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭✭

1639 possibly from some German state.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file