Home U.S. Coin Forum

The hunt! The Coins which took you the longest to find and the coin that you would reach for !!!

semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 923 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 4, 2023 11:01AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Please share some similar experiences of your own !!!

1) The coin that took me the longest to find was a business strike 1867 Liberty Seated Dime.

• Mintage 6000 business strikes. There are a number of BU's, but its very difficult to find a low or mid grade.
  • It was $35 for a good in Red Book in 1970, when I made my first undervalued coin list at 11 years old. Then it was at the top of my list.
  • I finally bought on circa 2015 on Ebay. It is now in a PCGS VG holder with CAC approval. This took 44 years.

2) The coin that was number 1 on my list that took 3 years to find was an 1874-cc Liberty Seated Dimes.

• Mintage 10,000 only about 100 known, This was 1989, The coin was EXTREMELY undervalued.
  • A few appeared during the 3 years and were sold already. Two were bought from dealer before I could get them.
  • I ordered one, but returned it. The coin had 5 scratches which bothered me.
  • Larry Briggs found it for me in 1989 after only a month. I should have gone to him first.

3) My reach coin. I have wanted an 1864 or 1865 $2 1/2 gold for about 20 years. The prices on these coins did not budge on CW trends for years, because few changed hands.

• The 1864 has some low grade damaged coins available. However I've owned problem coins and am never truly satisfied with them.
  • This 1864 has only about 20-25 known. The least expensive undamaged coin was an EF that went for 50k. Out of my league!
  • The 1865 has about 30-35 known, It shows up once every year or two. I had the opportunity last week to buy a nice AU-50 piece with nice luster and good color. Due to 2 weddings this year, I had no down payment for the coin.
  • It was offered for me to auction some of my coins in trade, but they had no reserve. I didn't want to take a bath on some really nice coins.
  • I didn't know what my decision would be until the end and literally watched the auction end with a winning bid amount entered in the amount box, but I could not push the bid
    button. Will sell some coins and hope for another nice one,

• Of course selling part of your collection is not easy, but I realize how much I want one of these now and will plan for it,

Comments

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

There isn't a specific coin in my primary interest I'm trying to find first but then, it's not US. Two mints and four denominations totaling 20 and 86 coins. The mint with 20 can be bought without that much difficulty, but not in any decent quality. Then it becomes very difficult. The second, most are quite difficult to find at all.

• semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 923 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    Never really thought about it, certainly not as long as you. It took a few years for me to find the right 1925-S Lincoln to complete my slabbed 09-58 set, found it thanks to help from Angel Dee's

The only coins I would reach for is a couple of rare slabs, an NGC 1 black slab and the PCGS regency slab. However, given the rapid rise in the prices for examples of both of these slabs I will not have to worry about reaching as the prices have now gone beyond my financial ability to buy. So much so that I do not even actively search for them anymore.

Lovely 1925-s cent! Tough in MS-63 and higher!

@WCC said:
    There isn't a specific coin in my primary interest I'm trying to find first but then, it's not US. Two mints and four denominations totaling 20 and 86 coins. The mint with 20 can be bought without that much difficulty, but not in any decent quality. Then it becomes very difficult. The second, most are quite difficult to find at all.

Which country WCC?
    I'm getting interested in South African coins. Traveling there later in the year,

@semikeycollector said:

@WCC said:

Which country WCC?
    I'm getting interested in South African coins. Traveling there later in the year,

My prior post covered Bolivia and Peru pillar 1/2R, 1R, 2R and 4R.

South Africa Union (`1923-1960) used to be my primary interest, until 2010. Aside from the numerous patterns which are never available, the most difficult to find in any grade are the 1931 circulation strike silver 3P, Florin, and Half Crown with mintages of 66, 383, and 790. Most of the 1926-1936 proofs are very difficult to find too with the easiest the 1931, 1934, and 1936. Mintages are from 12-62. 1931 6P and Shilling is scarce too but available in (very) low quality. The other circulation strikes are only "grade rare", though many are quite difficult to find "nice".

If you are interested in ZAR (with the Kruger portrait), the circulation strikes aren't hard to find except "in grade". Same for Republic of South Africa. I'd describe all of these as common.

Also, be aware that the marketability of this coinage varies outside of South Africa. As a low budget "side collection", it's not a problem because the outlay presumably is nominal but otherwise is something to consider. Most of the demand is by South African buyers and there isn't much for the more expensive Union elsewhere. ZAR is a lot more marketable outside South Africa vs. Union and RSA.

That's a second reason I no longer buy it. The first being I don't have enough budget for both.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 'reach' coins have always been gold - U.S. gold coins. As far as long searches.... I had a couple when I built my CC Morgan set in the late nineties, early 2K's.... Cheers, RickO

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭

To this day I haven't been able to land my white whale. 1852-o Seated Half dollar.
    On the other hand I do have about 20 semi-key (Key according to some) coins so I will be thankful rather than bitter. James

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

My collecting efforts have been mostly centered in finding raw Cameo proof and SMS coins from 1950-1970 (purchase same for modest prices, submit them for grading and hopefully get rewarded with high grades and a CAM or even a DCAM designation).

While collecting in this area I have found and acquired some great Cameo coins, however the following raw coins have eluded me thus far (all of these are very, very, very elusive raw coins):

1951 Cameo proof cent;
    1952 Cameo proof cent;
    1965 Cameo SMS cent;
    1966 Cameo SMS cent;
    1967 Cameo SMS cent;
    1956 Type 2 Cameo proof half dollar;
    1959 Cameo proof half dollar; and
    1964 AH Cameo proof half dollar.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

I searched for the 1937-D 3-Leg for some time. Back then there was no E-Bay, or online stuff for that matter. The 2 coin shops in my area produced only one: a dark but nice XF-40.

I lived with it, content that it was what it was. Time passed, I found a nice AU-55 original Montana coin on the then new E-Bay and bought it for $500.00.

So then I traded in the XF-40 for some nice specimens, an AU with mint luster 1917-S, and a XF 1916-S which was all original.

After I bought the second 3-legger, they appeared everywhere. All high AU and above.

I quit! I'm happy with mine (specially at that price).

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Low budget ( cough, cough ) modern collector. Chased Roosevelt fb's in ms67fb. Over 1 1/2 years before I even seen a 63 in 67fb offered on GC. Pop 7/2. Last one needed to complete the silver set in that grade. I paid up for it, like twice the guide price but was successful. Now I'm chasing 67+fb's although not gonna get to 100% as some are 5 figure, and like I said, low budget.
    Now to find an affordable 32-D white Washington in ms62. Looking for 4+ years on that one. Not rare, just expensive.

• 2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have spent 7 years putting together a Buffalo nickel set Xf or better, strictly well struck PQ coins…
    About 3 years ago i got down to these left to complete the set….
    1921P
    1925D
    1925S
    1926S
    1927D
    If you are a fan of the series then you surely can sympathize..

• RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am currently looking for a couple Braided Hair Large Cents in MS62 or 63:
    1841- I was late to the party on a beautiful MS62 CAC CRO had in an early bird offering.
    1844- I posted a nice 63 but the consensus was to pass. It is still on my watch list.
    I am going to be choosy as these are high dollar for me.

• NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been looking for a 1951 DCAM proof in a PCGS holder. There are only 8 graded by PCGS so they don't come up very often. But I need one to complete my DCAM WQ proof set. I still need a 1953 and 1955 but have passed on many due to price or quality. But I will reach for a 1951 DCAM.

@Mr_Spud said:
    The coin that I had to reach for the most was this AU no drapery Seated Liberty Half Dollar. I wanted it in AU to match the other Seated Liberty Half Dollars in my Everyman Type Sets. It had a mintage of 100,000 and now has a population of 23 at PCGS with 43 higher. It was by far the highest I ever paid for a coin. This coin made 2 of my registry sets across the street move to #1 and it made another set that was already at #1 move very far out of reach of the person who I passed last year who was only 200 points behind me. I’m over 3500 points in front of the other guy who had been #1 for about 10 years before I passed him.

This scarce issue is sought in all grades. This AU-58 is lovely! A tough hole conquered in your set!

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would never reach for a coin, it's a want not a need. If it's not at my price, then I'll pass, even if a few more years go by.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

@3stars said:
    Would never reach for a coin, it's a want not a need. If it's not at my price, then I'll pass, even if a few more years go by.

3stars,

I see the multiple meanings in "reach". My use of "reach" is spending money on a coin that is a stretch for your budget and may even include selling other coins to get it,.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2023 10:22AM

My main focus these days has been Middle Date Large Cents in VF to AU condition. That is... Problem-Free... Middle Date LCs in VF to AU. They definitely exist, but it becomes more of "who has the deeper pockets" than simply availability. I've been blown out of the water on several auctions that hammered at close to 25% or more than what I thought was FMV. Perhaps the Market is shifting??

As far as the Dates... the two usual suspects... 1821 (lowest mintage) and 1823 (2nd lowest mintage and a difficult Redbook variety if you're doing something other than a Date Run). I'll likely pick up a Private Restrike '23 before I find a decent regular one in VF. Other dates I had difficulty with: 1825, and 1829... both are abundant in VG or in higher grade examples with corrosion or other problems but expect to pay up for nice non-damaged pieces.

Now that I'm collecting these by Redbook varieties, the ones I'll likely have to stretch for will be the 1834 Lg 8, Lg Stars, Medium Letters.... they're around at astronomical prices so I'll likely settle for a lower grade; and the 1839/6... also around but pricey...

Edited to add... this is the 1825 I ended up with after 3 years. I'll likely sell the G6 and F12 versions...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

@semikeycollector said:

@3stars said:

3stars,

I see the multiple meanings in "reach". My use of "reach" is spending money on a coin that is a stretch for your budget and may even include selling other coins to get it,.

No, I got the meaning. Still wouldn't stretch to get a coin that i wanted.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

@3stars said:

@semikeycollector said:

@3stars said:

3stars,

No, I got the meaning. Still wouldn't stretch to get a coin that i wanted.

Understood.

• bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

for the registry set 100 Greatest Women on Coins, a tough one to find, PL68 Indira Gandhi 100 Rupees, none graded higher

@humanssuck said:

Last upgrade i was needing to get my proof set all visually matched. barber halves in true black/white cameo are exceedingly difficult to find.

What a beautiful proof! Jaw dropped, plus need extra oxygen!

@bramn8r said:
    for the registry set 100 Greatest Women on Coins, a tough one to find, PL68 Indira Gandhi 100 Rupees, none graded higher

Beautiful art and relief!

@mirabela said:
    I bought this Lafayette dollar after looking for almost twenty years. What I found during that time was that I could find four dozen of them available any day of the week but most of them were fairly ugly, and at almost any level of preservation they all cost more than I felt like paying, especially the ones that weren't truly repulsive. I think I hit a reasonably sweet spot with this one, but it sure took a while.

I don't really have any noteworthy 'reach' coins that stand head and shoulders above the rest of my holdings, and I'm unlikely to pursue any in the foreseeable future.

What a strategic and even loving relationship between the men! Love the ring toning and absolute originality!

edited May 3, 2023 8:35PM

@asheland said:
    These are two somewhat recent purchases that I’ve wanted examples of for a few years:

This one is much rarer, but I hadn’t specifically wanted one. It was just presented to me last year and I couldn’t resist. It was a type coin I needed and a more common date would have worked, but I really liked the rarity and the price was very enticing!
    MS64:

The 1865 rare and pretty! All nice examples.

@lkenefic said:
    My main focus these days has been Middle Date Large Cents in VF to AU condition. That is... Problem-Free... Middle Date LCs in VF to AU. They definitely exist, but it becomes more of "who has the deeper pockets" than simply availability. I've been blown out of the water on several auctions that hammered at close to 25% or more than what I thought was FMV. Perhaps the Market is shifting??

As far as the Dates... the two usual suspects... 1821 (lowest mintage) and 1823 (2nd lowest mintage and a difficult Redbook variety if you're doing something other than a Date Run). I'll likely pick up a Private Restrike '23 before I find a decent regular one in VF. Other dates I had difficulty with: 1825, and 1829... both are abundant in VG or in higher grade examples with corrosion or other problems but expect to pay up for nice non-damaged pieces.

Now that I'm collecting these by Redbook varieties, the ones I'll likely have to stretch for will be the 1834 Lg 8, Lg Stars, Medium Letters.... they're around at astronomical prices so I'll likely settle for a lower grade; and the 1839/6... also around but pricey...

Edited to add... this is the 1825 I ended up with after 3 years. I'll likely sell the G6 and F12 versions...

Beautiful high grade circ 1825 cent! Great toning.

@NorCalJack said:
    I have been looking for a 1951 DCAM proof in a PCGS holder. There are only 8 graded by PCGS so they don't come up very often. But I need one to complete my DCAM WQ proof set. I still need a 1953 and 1955 but have passed on many due to price or quality. But I will reach for a 1951 DCAM.

The Proof 64 DCAM seems affordable, but it probably hasn't traded for so long that the price is very low. You also have to like it.

@RLSnapper said:
    I am currently looking for a couple Braided Hair Large Cents in MS62 or 63:
    1841- I was late to the party on a beautiful MS62 CAC CRO had in an early bird offering.
    1844- I posted a nice 63 but the consensus was to pass. It is still on my watch list.
    I am going to be choosy as these are high dollar for me.

Those are beautiful coins. Good luck! I know this fellow and his family a little bit.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/half-cents/large-cents-major-sets/large-cents-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1839-1857/publishedset/132145

edited May 3, 2023 8:47PM

@Wahoo554 said:
    It took me 3 years and a few missed opportunities to find a nice 38-C $5:

I need a nice 38-P $5 in XF to low AU with CAC to round out the Classic Head date run. I stupidly passed on a couple great XF45s about 3 years ago and haven’t had another good opportunity come up since. Anybody have one they want to sell…?

This is a beautiful coin. Looks much nicer than AU-50. The 'C' on the obverse is very compelling to own. I collect the Liberty $5 gold myself.

• humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 314 ✭✭✭✭✭

@semikeycollector said:

@humanssuck said:

Last upgrade i was needing to get my proof set all visually matched. barber halves in true black/white cameo are exceedingly difficult to find.

What a beautiful proof! Jaw dropped, plus need extra oxygen!

Thanks. Took me ~10 years to find that coin in the look i wanted. It's a 67+CAM CAC. Slightly higher grade than I was looking for, but after holding it I just had to have it.

edited May 4, 2023 5:44AM

@WCC said:

@semikeycollector said:

@WCC said:

Which country WCC?

South Africa Union (`1923-1960) used to be my primary interest, until 2010. Aside from the numerous patterns which are never available, the most difficult to find in any grade are the 1931 circulation strike silver 3P, Florin, and Half Crown with mintages of 66, 383, and 790. Most of the 1926-1936 proofs are very difficult to find too with the easiest the 1931, 1934, and 1936. Mintages are from 12-62. 1931 6P and Shilling is scarce too but available in (very) low quality. The other circulation strikes are only "grade rare", though many are quite difficult to find "nice".

If you are interested in ZAR (with the Kruger portrait), the circulation strikes aren't hard to find except "in grade". Same for Republic of South Africa. I'd describe all of these as common.

Also, be aware that the marketability of this coinage varies outside of South Africa. As a low budget "side collection", it's not a problem because the outlay presumably is nominal but otherwise is something to consider. Most of the demand is by South African buyers and there isn't much for the more expensive Union elsewhere. ZAR is a lot more marketable outside South Africa vs. Union and RSA.

That's a second reason I no longer buy it. The first being I don't have enough budget for both.

Thank you for the information! This bootstraps my "newbieness" and widens my scope of interest. Time to have some more time with the Krauss Catalogs. I'm going to South Africa later in the year. Do you recommend any other books on South African coins?

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The longest to find was not a coin, but a political medalet. When I started to collect presidential campaign medalets, this 1832 Henry Clay piece seemed to quite available for $200. I thought, "Well, I'll wait on that one and get it later." When I started looking, the market had totally dried up; there were none to be had. The time frame was from the early 1990s to circa 2012.

About twenty years later, I spotted one at a political buttons show. The obverse was okay, but the reverse had a scratch that I knew was going "to bug me" for as long as I owned the piece. So I passed. About six months later, I found the piece shown above.

The stretch coin took even longer. I have been collecting type coins since I was in high school. The 1796-7 Draped Bust, Small Eagle Half Dollar has been out of my price range for most of my life. In the 1980s I saw one I could afford if I spent every coin budget dollar I had. The sharpness was Fair-2; it had been polished; and it had a hole. The price was something like $9,000.

I have a rule. If I can't afford it in decent condition, I am not going to collect it. So that one was a hard pass.

I spotted this one at the 2010 Summer FUN Show. My goal had been to get one in VF that matched my 1796 Quarter, which is a VF-25. This one was a Fine-15, which was just short of that. These things don't come cheap. Liz Coggan commented that it would be a decent trade piece if I wanted to upgrade in the future. So I bought it. Upgrades are not easy to find because this coin can go to six figures without much coaxing. It's still in my collection.

Love the 96 half Bill. Quite an accomplishment to find one, particularly a nice piece such as this.

@rec78 said:

I put together a set of circulation strike 3 cent silver coins including the 1863-1872 dates. These take forever to find in circulated conditions. It took me over 40 years to do as these are not seen too often as most were melted down. I picked up this 1863 a few months ago from a Heritage auction. This one is graded AU-55 by ANACS.
    Reasons for taking so long to complete:
    1. Availabilty
    2. My money situation
    3. I did not search every day and I stopped collecting sometimes for long periods of time-sometime years.
    4. I need just the right coin the first time-I do not fill spaces with plans to upgrade later.

The redness on the obverse side is just a lighting effect. The coin is not red. My photography skills are lacking.

About 3 years ago I purchased my $3 gold coin from Jerry Fortin
    and last year and I got Charlotte and Dahlonega $5 Gold coins from David Lawrence.
    Coins I always wanted and finally got. I have been collecting coins for 65 years.

Rec78,
    I love your Trime collection! That is a beautiful 1863! I sometimes look for 1863-1872 business strikes in auctions, just to see if they show up. I have a friend always tells me that he wants a set of the rare Trimes and how they always cost more than Red Book. (He's been out of collecting US coins for a while.)

I collect Seated and gold, but if I win Lotto, the Trimes it is!!!

@semikeycollector said:

@WCC said:

@semikeycollector said:

@WCC said:

Which country WCC?

Thank you for the information! This bootstraps my "newbieness" and widens my scope of interest. Time to have some more time with the Krauss Catalogs. I'm going to South Africa later in the year. Do you recommend any other books on South African coins?

Krause is useful for the mintage data and attribution of what's available, but that's all. I never did own an actual real reference book, as I could never find one. I had to learn most of what I know by finding the coins myself, which was a lot more difficult then vs. now due to the lower TPG population counts and lower price level.

There is one from the 1980's ("Money in South Africa" I think) but I never saw it and don't know what it actually covers. Maybe something newer now that I don't know about. The current "reference" (actually price guide) is Hern's, by local dealer Brian Hern. Or at least it was. I have the 2008 (somewhere) and it's more comprehensive vs. Krause but the prices are no more accurate. Both are just "made up" considering that South Africa is a TPG market (one of a few) but the guides aren't (or weren't) published this way.

There are also three volumes of "Nomisma", self-published by Alex Uruzzi. I have #1 and #2. It covers Union coinage melting from the 50's and 60's and a limited die variety study.

I don't track prices anymore but if you decide to collect it or have any questIons, send me a PM or start a thread on the World Coin Forum. It's still coinage I like to discuss.

• mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

@semikeycollector said:

What a strategic and even loving relationship between the men! Love the ring toning and absolute originality!

That was what drew me to this one -- it's about as un-messed-with as things get, and the overall look is so even . It's neither a high grade coin nor a very expensive one even in the scheme of my decidedly pedestrian collection, but it took me a long time to find it.

mirabela
  • alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more specific you get the longer you have to wait for something to show up. Then you have to deal with the price.
    Currently looking for a 1837 No Stars Dime PCGS AU58-MS64 with a bean. Add to that another 1838-1840 No Drapery Dime same grades as above
    Seen a few over the last 2 years of looking but either I didn't like the coin or the price went to the moon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file