Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The hunt! The Coins which took you the longest to find and the coin that you would reach for !!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AntebellumGold said:
    I spent a year and a half waiting for everything to line up for me to get the first year Eagle from the New Orleans Mint (1841-O).

The mint records show an original mintage of 2,500 for the year (although there is evidence to suggest a couple thousand more may have been struck), and it is estimated that only 50 to 60 examples survive in all grades.

It seems to be offered only a few times each year at auction or on dealers' lists. No Mint State examples have been graded by either PCGS or NGC.

I really like your 1841-O! I mainly collect $5 Libs, but would love one an 1841-O. Some other appealing dates to for $10 (among many) are 1844 and 1859-s. I believe these to be very undervalued.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@semikeycollector said:

@asheland said:
    These are two somewhat recent purchases that I’ve wanted examples of for a few years:

This one is much rarer, but I hadn’t specifically wanted one. It was just presented to me last year and I couldn’t resist. It was a type coin I needed and a more common date would have worked, but I really liked the rarity and the price was very enticing!
    MS64:

The 1865 rare and pretty! All nice examples.

Thanks! 👍
    I paid a lot more than I had initially planned for the halfdime for that exact reason.

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

Half Cent Struggles:

1793 - VF25 without problems
    1797 - XF40
    1802/0 - VF25 without problems
    1808 - AU55-58
    1808/7 - XF40
    1811 - XF45

The rest are just a matter of buying them as I can afford. They are available today.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options

@ChangeInHistory said:
    Took a while to find one in an affordable grade. Like many other seated collectors, had to go through Larry Briggs.

Very original 1846 dime! Did you buy it from Larry recently or long ago? I bought mine long ago, when they used to have US coin shows in NYC.

• Options

@WCC said:

@semikeycollector said:

@WCC said:
    There isn't a specific coin in my primary interest I'm trying to find first but then, it's not US. Two mints and four denominations totaling 20 and 86 coins. The mint with 20 can be bought without that much difficulty, but not in any decent quality. Then it becomes very difficult. The second, most are quite difficult to find at all.

Which country WCC?
    I'm getting interested in South African coins. Traveling there later in the year,

My prior post covered Bolivia and Peru pillar 1/2R, 1R, 2R and 4R.

South Africa Union (`1923-1960) used to be my primary interest, until 2010. Aside from the numerous patterns which are never available, the most difficult to find in any grade are the 1931 circulation strike silver 3P, Florin, and Half Crown with mintages of 66, 383, and 790. Most of the 1926-1936 proofs are very difficult to find too with the easiest the 1931, 1934, and 1936. Mintages are from 12-62. 1931 6P and Shilling is scarce too but available in (very) low quality. The other circulation strikes are only "grade rare", though many are quite difficult to find "nice".

If you are interested in ZAR (with the Kruger portrait), the circulation strikes aren't hard to find except "in grade". Same for Republic of South Africa. I'd describe all of these as common.

Also, be aware that the marketability of this coinage varies outside of South Africa. As a low budget "side collection", it's not a problem because the outlay presumably is nominal but otherwise is something to consider. Most of the demand is by South African buyers and there isn't much for the more expensive Union elsewhere. ZAR is a lot more marketable outside South Africa vs. Union and RSA.

That's a second reason I no longer buy it. The first being I don't have enough budget for both.

Would like to find one of those 1931 issues you mentioned. That seems to be at least a better date in most denominations. Wonder why mintage was so low that year.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

@semikeycollector said:
    Would like to find one of those 1931 issues you mentioned. That seems to be at least a better date in most denominations. Wonder why mintage was so low that year.

I've never heard a reasonable explanation for the mintage. I'm also not sure the mintage is correct between the circulation strikes and proofs. Up until the TPG era (roughly starting in 2002) South African collectors didn't seem to make much distinction between the two, and to my knowledge they used either one interchangeably to complete their sets since many of the proofs (despite the lower mintages) are often (a lot) more common in high quality. There is a difference between my 1950 Kaplan and more recent editions, but I'd have to dig it up to provide specifics.

Unlike rare coins in the US and other countries, no one I know seems to know any specifics about these coins. The 6P and shilling show up often enough mostly in low grade and there is four or five MS of the 6P, but at least some of the other three are potentially "mechanical errors".

Until the last few years, neither NGC nor PCGS had graded a single 1931 florin. Now there are two, but I believe the MS-63 (the other is a "fine") is actually a proof even though I have not seen it in person, only an image. This is a shared view by at least some collectors I know locally. So, buyer beware on any of these. After it showed up in the NGC census, it was offered for the equivalent of $90,000 with no takers and probably partly for this reason.

I also forgot to mention that the 1933, 1934, and 1936 circulation strike farthings are recorded as rare in the catalogs with tiny mintages (less than the 1931 3P). No public record of a 1933 exists to my knowledge. One 1934 (an MS-63) is now in the NGC census. NGC has also graded four (or five) of the 1936, though supposedly only three were struck along with 40 proofs. Duplicates? Maybe, but unlikely because the prices while not low (around $10K maybe) are not reflective of a coin of this scarcity, indicating uncertainty that one (and maybe all) of the NGC coins are also "mechanical errors".

I consider the 1931 6P and shilling "safe" to buy as indicated. The other three, if in better grade only with a second knowledgeable opinion, not just based upon the NGC label as a circulation strike. (PCGS hasn't graded any but the 1931 6P.) Same for the 1934 farthing.

• Options

@WCC said:

@semikeycollector said:

I've never heard a reasonable explanation for the mintage. I'm also not sure the mintage is correct between the circulation strikes and proofs. Up until the TPG era (roughly starting in 2002) South African collectors didn't seem to make much distinction between the two, and to my knowledge they used either one interchangeably to complete their sets since many of the proofs (despite the lower mintages) are often (a lot) more common in high quality. There is a difference between my 1950 Kaplan and more recent editions, but I'd have to dig it up to provide specifics.

Unlike rare coins in the US and other countries, no one I know seems to know any specifics about these coins. The 6P and shilling show up often enough mostly in low grade and there is four or five MS of the 6P, but at least some of the other three are potentially "mechanical errors".

Until the last few years, neither NGC nor PCGS had graded a single 1931 florin. Now there are two, but I believe the MS-63 (the other is a "fine") is actually a proof even though I have not seen it in person, only an image. This is a shared view by at least some collectors I know locally. So, buyer beware on any of these. After it showed up in the NGC census, it was offered for the equivalent of $90,000 with no takers and probably partly for this reason.

I also forgot to mention that the 1933, 1934, and 1936 circulation strike farthings are recorded as rare in the catalogs with tiny mintages (less than the 1931 3P). No public record of a 1933 exists to my knowledge. One 1934 (an MS-63) is now in the NGC census. NGC has also graded four (or five) of the 1936, though supposedly only three were struck along with 40 proofs. Duplicates? Maybe, but unlikely because the prices while not low (around $10K maybe) are not reflective of a coin of this scarcity, indicating uncertainty that one (and maybe all) of the NGC coins are also "mechanical errors".

I consider the 1931 6P and shilling "safe" to buy as indicated. The other three, if in better grade only with a second knowledgeable opinion, not just based upon the NGC label as a circulation strike. (PCGS hasn't graded any but the 1931 6P.) Same for the 1934 farthing.

Thank you WCC!!!

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

Nothing comes to mind that was a stretch coin for me, other than my 1877 cent I got long ago in XF, through Gail Watson back in the Bowers & Merena days. True to her word, she found me a strictly "perfect" surfaces XF example after about 6 months since I'd asked. I can think of what my stretch coin will be in the future, but have to be patient on it -- I think this coming year may be the year for it! :smile:

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2023 1:03PM

Over 20 years to find a U.S.Philippines 1903-S 10 centavos in any unc grade.
    Bought a raw one in 1995 for $150
    PCGS Slabbed it a 64. Way rarer then a 1916-D dime in that grade.
    Today worth $ 5K +

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NeophyteNumismatist said:
    Half Cent Struggles:

1793 - VF25 without problems
    1797 - XF40
    1802/0 - VF25 without problems
    1808 - AU55-58
    1808/7 - XF40
    1811 - XF45

The rest are just a matter of buying them as I can afford. They are available today.

Yes, those dates are really hard to find in the grades you want.

The 1793 half cent in my collection made it into an NGC VF-35 holder, but it's got a rim mark. The color and surfaces are great.

The 1797 I have is a Choice VF, early die state. It came back in body bag from one of the services many years ago.

The 1802 I had was from the Garrett Collection. It was also body bagged.

I had a really nice VF-30 1808/7. EF is a very hard grade for any 1808 half cent, even the common one.

I had both 1811 varieties. One had a rim nick. It once belonged to the late Jim McGuigan before he upgraded it. The other was a very decently looking VF30 to 35.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

The 1797 I have is a Choice VF, early die state. It came back in body bag from one of the services many years ago.

What was the reason the '97 was bb'ed?

• Options

@gonzer said:

@BillJones said:

What was the reason the '97 was bb'ed?

AT.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2023 3:39PM

Lovely coins @BillJones! You really do have an exquisite collection - all around! How many half cents would you say you have left? I know you sold most of your variety collection.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options

@NeophyteNumismatist said:
    Lovely coins @BillJones! You really do have an exquisite collection - all around! How many half cents would you say you have left? I know you sold most of your variety collection.

I have 12 pieces at the moment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file