Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Albert Charles Overton (1906-1972)

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2, 2023 2:53AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've recently been looking up some info on Al Overton for the Pedley-Ryan So-Called Dollar thread and thought there's enough here to create a thread for him.

Biography from JRCS:

https://www.jrcs.org/aboutjrcs_halloffame.php

The following is just the first 3 paragraphs from JRCS so click through for more. Of note, I'm currently watching 1923 and I can imagine him in that show working cattle!

JRCS said:
Albert Charles Overton, was born May 1, 1906 in Coos Bay, Oregon. His family relocated to southern Colorado where he was raised on a ranch, spending his youth working cattle.

Al Overton married Canzada Johnson in 1928, with whom he had two daughters, Etta Lee and Bonnie. To support his family during the depression, he worked in a meat packing plant, and later worked at the Pueblo Army Depot where he was put in charge of munitions during World War II.

Overton joined the American Numismatic Association in 1938, and placed his first ad in The Numismatist. In time, his hobby became a full-time vocation, doing business as the Overton Coin Company in Pueblo, Colorado. He later became nationally known for his mail bid sales.

FindAGrave entry:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/111872402/albert-c-overton

Ancestry entry:

https://www.ancestry.com/genealogy/records/albert-charles-overton-24-kgr2xt

Here's the 1817/4 Capped Bust Half that got him the bug. This coin has a great pedigree including Eliasberg, Don Kagin and our own @MrEureka!

Here's a So-Called Dollar he owned with photos from current owner @dcarr, posted to the Pedley-Ryan So-Called Dollars thread.

Here's a photo of Al and Canzada:

Here's his obituary:

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2023 12:58AM

Is there a way to view FamilySearch.org without logging in? It seems less "free" to me because it's asking me to login before seeing any information.

I was able to get the needed information from Ancestry and FindAGrave without paying or logging in.

• Options
    edited April 2, 2023 1:15AM

Free as in no $.
    Yes, you have to register an account to view the info, but there is no charge.
    I think the main reason is that once you have an account, you can make changes, so that needs to be tracked
    and should not be anonymous.
    Although maybe there should be an anonymous way to view without being able to make changes.

Yes, you can view the "landing" page (immediate family) you linked on ancestry.com, but going further is pay to view.

• Options
    edited April 2, 2023 1:29AM

@yosclimber said:
    Free as in no $.
    Yes, you have to register an account to view the info, but there is no charge.
    I think the main reason is that once you have an account, you can make changes, so that needs to be tracked
    and should not be anonymous.
    Although maybe there should be an anonymous way to view without being able to make changes.

Yes, you can view the "landing" page (immediate family) you linked on ancestry.com, but going further is pay to view.

Good to know. Ancestry works for me so far as I don't need to go further right now. It would be useful to know what I'm missing by not logging into FamilySearch.org :)

It is neat that Al's name is:

Albert Charles Overton

and his father's name is:

Charles Albert Overton

• Options
    edited April 2, 2023 1:35AM

Here are a few more ancestors.

findagrave often has a tree for the immediate family, and you can follow the links.
    Often has obits, which are good sources, and those "carved in stone" gravestone photos.
    It does not have the other sources like census records, except sometimes a few are pasted in.
    (No doubt you know all this; just for other folks who might not know).

• Options

@yosclimber said:

Here are a few more ancestors.

Very interesting. We're currently looking into Al Overton with respect to the following Colorado piece and similar which have the "J.O" initials.

I've posted your family tree diagram to the thread here:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1078627/pedley-ryan-so-called-dollars#latest

• Options
    edited April 2, 2023 9:07PM

Here's another tree view that shows his siblings [updated].

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ancestry.com is a great resource. My wife does a lot of genealogical research and has found a lot of interesting things. One, strangely enough, is that we are related... about eight generations back though... and on another continent. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never met Al, though while I was at ANACS his widow occasionally attended one of the coin clubs I belonged to. We were introduced by Bill Henderson.

At ANACS I liked to attribute all of the bust halves going through, but of course all I had was the dot-screened photos in the book. Then I learned that Mrs. Overton still had all of the negatives for the photos in the book, so I asked her, in the presence of Bill, if the ANA could borrow the negatives and make one set of glossy prints of them strictly for attribution purposes. She snapped back "No! I'll never get them back!"

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    I never met Al, though while I was at ANACS his widow occasionally attended one of the coin clubs I belonged to. We were introduced by Bill Henderson.

At ANACS I liked to attribute all of the bust halves going through, but of course all I had was the dot-screened photos in the book. Then I learned that Mrs. Overton still had all of the negatives for the photos in the book, so I asked her, in the presence of Bill, if the ANA could borrow the negatives and make one set of glossy prints of them strictly for attribution purposes. She snapped back "No! I'll never get them back!"

Thanks TD! That's a great story and adds to our conversation of the Pedley-Ryan So-Called Dollars. I've added your post here to the discussion:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13474761/#Comment_13474761

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway I know where the plate photo's and negatives are now (or at least who had them last year), and made the offer to scan them for that parties use or distribution, as they see fit. In case they read this (they post here sometimes), my offer still stands, and I would enter a NDA if needed.

My benefit would be to have my own personal attribution library, and by studying and processing each image, probably have access via my own personal memory to almost all DM's.

Of course, I would return all the materials as well.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2023 8:56AM

@pursuitofliberty said:
    @CaptHenway I know where the plate photo's and negatives are now (or at least who had them last year), and made the offer to scan them for that parties use or distribution, as they see fit. In case they read this (they post here sometimes), my offer still stands, and I would enter a NDA if needed.

My benefit would be to have my own personal attribution library, and by studying and processing each image, probably have access via my own personal memory to almost all DM's.

Of course, I would return all the materials as well.

That's a great idea and offer. It would be nice to have high resolution digital images of those.

I also wonder if the NNP could get involved so adding @Coinosaurus :)

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zions I don't know what their intent is at this point, and so I hesitate to offer any other details right now. If I get the chance to use my studio to do it, and can open some or all of the images to the collecting community, I will certainly explore that.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file