Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pedley-Ryan So-Called Dollars

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 18, 2022 10:18PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just ran across this HK-825 Pedley-Ryan Dollar counter stamped "J.O". I was intent to bid on this but was too busy and forgot to bid. Oh well! Anyone familiar with this one and what "J.O" may stand for? Do any other counterstamps exist?

Post any Pedley-Ryan So-Called Dollars in this thread!

Photos courtesy of 2plus2befour.

Comments

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr
    Great info. I only have one relatively common Pedley-Ryan but I am fascinated by them and the story. Those are some hefty prices for 1967.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice piece of silver. No idea on the initials. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited July 17, 2022 6:24AM

@dcarr said:
    The "J.O" font is significantly different than the other marking. It could be a vintage marking with some meaning, or just an owner's initials added later (most likely the latter).

But the only extra-marking variety that I know of that has auction records from many years ago are the (three known) examples with "1929".

Here is mine, with the label that came with it:

Very nice info Dan @dcarr.

Here's a transcription of Norma B. Painter's letter to Al Overton. It's nice that the letter is signed "Norma B. Painter" vs. simply "Ken Painter's wife".

Norma B. Painter said:
    Dear Mr Overton: Concerning the history of the Three Pedley-Ryan Pieces dated 1929, I will tell you all I know about them. My father, Mr William Burkart, was the founder and president of Ajax Iron Works which was started about 1914. They had their plant at 1709 Blake St., Denver, Colorado, along with another plant on Osage St. Mr Burkart outside of running the foundry did a great deal of precision tool and die work. He also was one of the large manufacturers of mining equipment. When the decision was made to sell the firm several years after my parents death, it was necessary to clean out the safe which had been in the Blake St. office for a great many years. These three pieces were found in this safe at this time. I feel these pieces were made up by my father to favor the Pedley-Ryan group prior to their issue in the thirties. My feeling is that these were the experimental pieces and that there were probably more than just these three pieces made. Sincerely yours, Norma B. Painter.

The lot description says there are 3 known specimens from the Ajax Iron Works safe, but Norma says she believes there may be more. With Dan's specimen we might have the 3 known specimens now.

1. Overton Colorado Collection
    2. Kagin Colorado Collection
    3. Carr Colorado Collection
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea on the initials, but like dcarr said, it could simply be someone stamped their own name here.
    This is another variety with added business name:

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    edited July 17, 2022 6:53AM

@DCW said:
    No idea on the initials, but like dcarr said, it could simply be someone stamped their own name here.

It could certainly be done after leaving whoever stamped these for Pedley-Ryan.

It's nice that it's straight graded with the counterstamp note on the piece.

Here's some info on the Robbins pieces:

Hibler & Kappen wrote:
    Bertram Robbins and his son Bertram Robbins, Jr., operators of a men's clothing store in Colorado Springs, bought 300 discs (Type IV) from Pedley-Ryan & Co. in Denver at bullion value. One Saturday morning in 1933, Bertram, Jr., seated in a store display window, used a punch-type die to make an impression Robbins on the Corner above Pedley-Ryan & Co. (In a few instances, the impression was made below Pedley-Ryan & Co.) With each purchase in the store, a customer could buy one of the discs for $1. All 300 pieces were sold that day. Kappen-Mitchell, Depression Scrip of the United States, Colo. No. 5.

I like this error piece found on CoinFacts :)

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins
    I love counterstamped coins for the personal connection that takes place. The owner actually attached his own history to these discs of silver, giving us a story to ponder beyond the original intention. Now when I see these, I will always think of the man sitting in his shop window stamping his name into these rounds and his customers buying them up.
    300 issued?
    I would guess there are far fewer today, most likely only a dozen or so.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    edited July 17, 2022 7:26AM

@DCW said:
    @Zoins
    I love counterstamped coins for the personal connection that takes place. The owner actually attached his own history to these discs of silver, giving us a story to ponder beyond the original intention. Now when I see these, I will always think of the man sitting in his shop window stamping his name into these rounds and his customers buying them up.
    300 issued?
    I would guess there are far fewer today, most likely only a dozen or so.

Agree a personal connection is great!

In this case of Pedley-Ryan, it was a girl that did the stamping. I wonder if "J.O" could be her initials which would be wonderful.

The following is from HK, which doesn't indicate the girl's name but it would be great to identify.

Hibler & Kappen wrote:
    Planchets for the pieces were made for Pedley-Ryan by the Sachs-Lawlor Co., Denver, the silver being obtained from the Denver Mint in 100-plus ounce bars. The discs were stamped by a girl in the Pedley-Ryan office.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2022 7:26AM

@Zoins said:

In this case, it was a girl that did the stamping at Pedley-Ryan. I wonder if "J.O" could be her initials which would be wonderful.

The following is from HK, which doesn't indicate the girl's name but it would be great to identify.

Yes, it would be great to know who her husband or father was. ;):D

• Options

I love these things. I bid on my first one recently (a standard one) but it went for ten times my high bid. :o

I'll have to learn more about them so I can strategize on obtaining one.

What are they really? Bullion rounds? Political statement? Private currency?

They are somehow reminiscent of the Lesher Dollars that came before and the Liberty Dollars that came after.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2022 11:41AM

@Zoins said:

@dcarr said:
    The "J.O" font is significantly different than the other marking. It could be a vintage marking with some meaning, or just an owner's initials added later (most likely the latter).

But the only extra-marking variety that I know of that has auction records from many years ago are the (three known) examples with "1929".

Here is mine, with the label that came with it:

Very nice info Dan @dcarr.

Here's a transcription of Norma B. Painter's letter to Al Overton. It's nice that the letter is signed "Norma B. Painter" vs. simply "Ken Painter's wife".

Norma B. Painter said:
    Dear Mr Overton: Concerning the history of the Three Pedley-Ryan Pieces dated 1929, I will tell you all I know about them. My father, Mr William Burkart, was the founder and president of Ajax Iron Works which was started about 1914. They had their plant at 1709 Blake St., Denver, Colorado, along with another plant on Osage St. Mr Burkart outside of running the foundry did a great deal of precision tool and die work. He also was one of the large manufacturers of mining equipment. When the decision was made to sell the firm several years after my parents death, it was necessary to clean out the safe which had been in the Blake St. office for a great many years. These three pieces were found in this safe at this time. I feel these pieces were made up by my father to favor the Pedley-Ryan group prior to their issue in the thirties. My feeling is that these were the experimental pieces and that there were probably more than just these three pieces made. Sincerely yours, Norma B. Painter.

The lot description says there are 3 known specimens from the Ajax Iron Works safe, but Norma says she believes there may be more. With Dan's specimen we might have the 3 known specimens now.

1. Overton Colorado Collection
    2. Kagin Colorado Collection
    3. Carr Colorado Collection

Specimens #1 and #3 may be the same.

I personally know of two: mine and another that I will call the John Dean specimen.

The "Pedley-Ryan & Co / DENVER" was applied to these as a single stamp. But on some stampings, if the punch was tilted, the word "DENVER" may be weak or missing. This accounts for HK-826 (which I consider to be a stamping error and not really a variety). On all examples of HK-826, the letters of "Pedley-Ryan & Co" are more-heavily-impressed at the top, and fade as you go down. Thus, the "DENVER" part was completely missing.

Another thing that can happen is when the punch was tilted on the initial stamping and "DENVER" is missing, the punch can be tilted the opposite direction to apply just the word "DENVER". In such a case, "Pedley-Ryan & Co" will be stronger at the tops of the letters, and "DENVER" will be stronger at the bottoms of the letters. Also, the baselines of the text might not be parallel if each part is applied separately.

I believe that is what happened on my specimen:

The punch on the John Dean specimen was not tilted and so the lettering depth is consistent and the baselines are parallel:

• Options
    edited July 17, 2022 11:29PM

@DCW said:

Yes, that is another added-stamp variety. That one is fairly well-known and is listed on the So-Called Dollar reference. I was commenting on "unlisted" marking varieties.

The font on the "Robbins" part is not exactly the same as the rest, but it is similar in style (just stretched horizontally a bit).

The "Robbins" die survived and still exists (I have seen it). I believe that it was made by Sachs-Lawlor in Denver, along with all the other Pedley Ryan punch dies,

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I love these things. I bid on my first one recently (a standard one) but it went for ten times my high bid. :o

I'll have to learn more about them so I can strategize on obtaining one.

What are they really? Bullion rounds? Political statement? Private currency?

They are somehow reminiscent of the Lesher Dollars that came before and the Liberty Dollars that came after.

Here's a good resource.
    Pedley-Ryan Dollars

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine was of this style.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2022 12:43PM

I see that on the low Robbins the Pedley is a little higher than center/middle.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curiouser and curiouser!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2022 4:29PM

I just found this one which sold on Great Collections in 2019.

This one looks different from both the Dan Carr and John Dean Specimens, so now we have photos of 3 specimens! I wonder if there are any more, or if all 3 of these can be considered to be from Norma B. Painter?

Diagnostics include:

1. Dan Carr Specimen as top half of DENVER missing
    2. John Dean Specimen has double struck reverse, very evident in "90%"

Also of interest is that the punches used look like a "T" followed by "929" where the "T" may be a stand in for a "1".

• Options
    edited July 17, 2022 5:02PM
  • Options

As somebody who owns a few sets of letter and number punches, I know the temptation to use them........

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/8509081#Comment_8509081

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@Zoins said:
    I wonder if there are any more, or if all 3 of these can be considered to be from Norma B. Painter?

Do you mean Ken Painter's wife? :*

Also of interest is that the punches used look like a "T" followed by "929" where the "T" may be a stand in for a "1".

To me or looks like an upside-down "1".

For that matter the 9s almost look like upside-down 6s. (Frequently the 9 and 6 are the same character or punch, but these 9s look a little odd).

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

My first instinct as well. Lesher made his dollars in Victor, Colorado--which is only about 100 miles away from Denver where the Pedley-Ryan dollars were created. I seem to recall that even at their release, the Lesher dollars were popular local collectibles (Lesher actually called them a "souvenir" on the reverse). It seems certain that they were known to the Pedley-Ryan Investment House.

Incidentally, my Pedley is just about 90 degrees rotated :o

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2023 8:33PM

@JP_Coins said:
    I was actually the auction winner of this item. I’ve checked with both John Dean, as well as Jeff Shevlin. Both have explained they are not aware of any history behind the piece but advised its certainly fascinating. With that said, I think it’ll be a great addition to my Pedley Ryan collection. It’s not often these are even graded by NGC. I imagine it’s potentially unique. I clearly paid a slight premium on it. However, as the new owner of this piece, I would love to know any history on it, as well. Maybe something is out there!

Thanks for starting this thread. Was happy to have stumbled on it doing research.

Congrats and thanks for posting! It's great that you picked it up and are in discussion with Jeff and John! You would have had some more competition if I remembered to look at the auction but I'm glad you won it and are posting!

Will you be going to Jeff's So-Called Dollar Gathering this year?

I don't know anything about this piece but it's certainly interesting which is why I started this tread. Already in this thread, we have photos for this piece and 3 specimens of the 1929 piece so that's very cool. Hopefully more information will show up!

• Options
    edited July 18, 2022 8:37PM

Since there are so many Pedley-Ryan dollars in this thread, I renamed this thread to cover them all!

Keep them coming :):+1:

• Options
    edited August 27, 2022 10:57AM

Here's some info for "Robbins on the Corner":

https://www.so-calleddollars.com/Events/Pedley_Ryan_Dollars.html

Hibler & Kappen wrote:
    Bertram Robbins and his son Bertram Robbins, Jr., operators of a men's clothing store in Colorado Springs, bought 300 discs (Type IV) from Pedley-Ryan & Co. in Denver at bullion value. One Saturday morning in 1933, Bertram, Jr., seated in a store display window, used a punch-type die to make an impression Robbins on the Corner above Pedley-Ryan & Co. (In a few instances, the impression was made below Pedley-Ryan & Co.) With each purchase in the store, a customer could buy one of the discs for $1. All 300 pieces were sold that day. Kappen-Mitchell, Depression Scrip of the United States, Colo. No. 5.

Here's their building in Colorado Springs which is now inhabited by the Thirsty Parrot. Anyone visit the Robbins Corner building? If you have or do, please take and post some pics. Would be a great side trip for ANA Summer Seminar!

https://gazette.com/life/walking-tour---historic-tejon-street-between-colorado-and-platte/article_da3ba8d2-3682-5591-9a7e-72611e5ae3f3.html

Doug Fitzgerald wrote:
    Robertson Block/Robbins Corner, 32 S. Tejon St.

Now: Thirsty Parrot

Originally a three-story structure, this building housed a variety of businesses and offices on the first two levels from 1883-99. The third floor was a lodge for the Odd Fellows (IOOF). The Robbins clothing store moved in in 1899 and four generations of the family continued operating at this location until 1959.

Here's a photo from the Gazette:

Here's the Robbins on the Corner building today via Thirsty Parrot from Yelp!

• Options
    edited July 18, 2022 9:02PM

According to FindAGrave.com, the Robbins on the Corner store was run by the following members of the Robbins family. This conflicts with Hibler and Kappen which mentions the store was run by "Bertram Robbins and his son Bertram Robbins, Jr.". According to the timelines provided by FindAGrave.com, the So-Called Dollars were likely done by Merton Melville Robbins and Bertram James "Bert" Robbins. The older Bertram died in 1913 so could not have been around when the medals were ordered/struck in 1929/1933.

1. Daniel W. Robbins (1844–1904) - https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/21367994/daniel-w-robbins
    2. Bertram G. Robbins (1870–1913) - https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/69454889/bertram-g-robbins
    3. Merton Melville Robbins (1896-1955) - https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/35147016/merton-melville-robbins
    4. Bertram James “Bert” Robbins (1918-1996) - https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/214556417/bertram-james-robbins

Here's a photo of Bertram G. Robbins who named the store "Robbins on the Corner". The store was founded by his father.

FindAGrave.com authors wrote:
    Bertram was born in 1870 in Iowa, and his parents were Daniel Robbins and Anna Brubaker. The family moved to Colorado in 1873. Bertram's father started a men's clothing store in downtown Colorado Springs, and Bertram inherited the store when his father died. Bertram moved the store and named it "Robbins on the Corner". It was a successful business, and it passed to Bertrom's son, Merton, when he died.

Bertrom married Mary Seward in 1894. They had only one child who lived to adulthood, Merton.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@JP_Coins said:
    I was actually the auction winner of this item. I’ve checked with both John Dean, as well as Jeff Shevlin. Both have explained they are not aware of any history behind the piece but advised its certainly fascinating. With that said, I think it’ll be a great addition to my Pedley Ryan collection. It’s not often these are even graded by NGC. I imagine it’s potentially unique. I clearly paid a slight premium on it. However, as the new owner of this piece, I would love to know any history on it, as well. Maybe something is out there!

Thanks for starting this thread. Was happy to have stumbled on it doing research.

Congrats and thanks for posting! It's great that you picked up and are in discussion with Jeff and John! You would have had some more competition if I remembered to look at the auction but I'm glad you won it and are posting!

I don't know anything about this piece but it's certainly interesting which is why I started this tread. Already in this thread, we have photos for this piece and 3 specimens of the 1929 piece so that's very cool. Hopefully more information will show up!

@Zoins I appreciate the warm welcome and happy to be part of the discussion. I’m relatively new to the forums but have been collecting for years. You are indeed correct regarding the competition. As mentioned previously, I certainly paid a premium on this piece but feel it wasn’t “outrageous” for what it is and what it could potentially be if we are to learn more about it.

John Dean mentioned having submitted a counterstamped Pedley Ryan or two to NGC, both of which were rejected. So, my question then becomes: why was this straight graded? Could NGC know something about it or was it simply luck of the draw with the grader? I’m not entirely sure there’s a way to answer that question. — As for the 1929 examples, I had absolutely no prior knowledge about those so that alone was amazing to learn. Thanks for sharing @dcarr

In either case, thanks so much for providing such in-depth Robbins info, @Zoins. Absolutely fascinating. I own an HK-827, but not the HK-827a. I’d love to add one to my collection one day.

This is certainly an excellent community for resources and information. I’m sure I’ll be finding myself on here more and more often, particularly as an avid Colorado collector!

• Options

This may be a long shot; however, John Dean has mentioned several medals in his collection were formerly presented to US Senators. What stands out is him mentioning an HK-337 in his collection that was presented to Thomas Walsh, a US Senator from Wyoming. With that thought in mind, I researched all the US Senators from the 73rd US Congress (1933-1935) for the initials “J.O.” Two stood out in particular:

• Louisiana Senator: John H. Overton
    • Wyoming Senator: Joseph C. O'Mahoney

Interesting one was indeed from Wyoming, just as John Dean mentioned (although different time periods).

Of course this is purely speculation. However, knowing medals such as this were indeed presented to Senators, it’s not out of the question to think this was possible.

• Options

@JP_Coins said:

@Zoins said:

@JP_Coins said:

Congrats and thanks for posting! It's great that you picked up and are in discussion with Jeff and John! You would have had some more competition if I remembered to look at the auction but I'm glad you won it and are posting!

@Zoins I appreciate the warm welcome and happy to be part of the discussion. I’m relatively new to the forums but have been collecting for years. You are indeed correct regarding the competition. As mentioned previously, I certainly paid a premium on this piece but feel it wasn’t “outrageous” for what it is and what it could potentially be if we are to learn more about it.

No problem! The more the merrier! Definitely lots of questions around this piece which makes it very interesting.

John Dean mentioned having submitted a counterstamped Pedley Ryan or two to NGC, both of which were rejected. So, my question then becomes: why was this straight graded? Could NGC know something about it or was it simply luck of the draw with the grader? I’m not entirely sure there’s a way to answer that question.

I'm not sure why John's wouldn't grade but yours would. It would be interesting to see photos of them.

NGC staff doesn't post here but they do have their own forums.

As for the 1929 examples, I had absolutely no prior knowledge about those so that alone was amazing to learn. Thanks for sharing @dcarr

Yes, that is great info from Dan! It's amazing to have the old letters from Dan as well!

In either case, thanks so much for providing such in-depth Robbins info, @Zoins. Absolutely fascinating. I own an HK-827, but not the HK-827a. I’d love to add one to my collection one day.

This is certainly an excellent community for resources and information. I’m sure I’ll be finding myself on here more and more often, particularly as an avid Colorado collector!

Definitely hang around!

• Options

@JP_Coins said:
    This may be a long shot; however, John Dean has mentioned several medals in his collection were formerly presented to US Senators. What stands out is him mentioning an HK-337 in his collection that was presented to Thomas Walsh, a US Senator from Wyoming. With that thought in mind, I researched all the US Senators from the 73rd US Congress (1933-1935) for the initials “J.O.” Two stood out in particular:

• Louisiana Senator: John H. Overton
    • Wyoming Senator: Joseph C. O'Mahoney

Interesting one was indeed from Wyoming, just as John Dean mentioned (although different time periods).

Of course this is purely speculation. However, knowing medals such as this were indeed presented to Senators, it’s not out of the question to think this was possible.

That is very interesting.

It would be interesting to find someone from Colorado or some indication that Pedley-Ryan was operating in Wyoming or Florida.

I checked the Governor and Lieutenant Governor of Colorado from that era and neither have J.O as initials.

• Options

I also bid on the J.O. Since it was interesting that it was graded. I have been collecting Pedley Ryan for over 30 years and now have over 200. Just retired so now I plan to organize and study them. Most interesting one I have has just the 1933 info on one side and blank on the other. I did not know about the 1929 so congrats. for those who have them. Always wondered why some have the compressed rim on one side and others do not. What is a good coin show to attend that has Pedley and Bryan dollars. I am in NC and now free to travel. Thanks in advance.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2022 5:33PM

Mine was a little different and more rare at the time for having "Robbins On The Corner" on it below Pedley. If it was faked(15 years ago) NGC was fooled by it.
    Jim

EDITED TO ADD: sorry, I did not realize I had posted to this a while ago. My bad.

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@Crawood said:
    I also bid on the J.O. Since it was interesting that it was graded. I have been collecting Pedley Ryan for over 30 years and now have over 200. Just retired so now I plan to organize and study them. Most interesting one I have has just the 1933 info on one side and blank on the other. I did not know about the 1929 so congrats. for those who have them. Always wondered why some have the compressed rim on one side and others do not. What is a good coin show to attend that has Pedley and Bryan dollars. I am in NC and now free to travel. Thanks in advance.

Glad to know you were bidding and welcome to the forums! It's cool that you have a uniface specimen.

A great thing about these forums is that we can all get together and share information here. I also did not know about the 1929 specimens until Dan posted them but quickly found the 3rd specimen on GC>

• Options
    edited August 26, 2022 10:50PM

@Crawood said:

There was a uniface one on eBay a couple years ago. A good friend of mine told me about it. But he said that he was bidding on it. I didn't want to step on his toes, so I did not bid on it. I told him how much I would bid for it, or how much I would pay him for it. But for some reason he bid less than that and it sold for a fair amount less than I would have paid him for it. :(

• Options

@dcarr said:

@Crawood said:

There was a uniface one on eBay a couple years ago. A good friend of mine told me about it. But he said that he was bidding on it. I didn't want to step on his toes, so I did not bid on it. I told him how much I would bid for it, or how much I would pay him for it. But for some reason he bid less than that and it sold for a fair amount less than I would have paid him for it. :(

@dcarr thanks for sharing. That’s very humble of you, especially when it comes to such a rarity. I have “never” seen a uniface Pedley-Ryan. I can only imagine what one is worth, not to mention the sheer rarity. Thinking on that, I’m curious if it’s unique. — Does the closed eBay listing still exist regarding sharing a photo?

• Options

@jesbroken said:
    Mine was a little different and more rare at the time for having "Robbins On The Corner" on it below Pedley. If it was faked(15 years ago) NGC was fooled by it.
    Jim

EDITED TO ADD: sorry, I did not realize I had posted to this a while ago. My bad.

@jesbroken, this is indeed a confirmed variety. It’s listed in the Hibler-Kappin So-Called Dollar guide. I own the variety with Robbins above. If you’d ever be interested in selling (assuming you still own it), please DM me! 😃

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crawood said:

Is the uniface version that you have silver?

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

About the supposed "1929" counterstamp, has anyone ever considered that it is the letter "I" followed by "929" and not the number "1929" as believed?? I find it strange that someone took the time to counterstamp these and had the punches to do it, but although they had a 9 and 2 they couldn't come up with a 1 and used a letter I punch instead.

I just find that strange.

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    About the supposed "1929" counterstamp, has anyone ever considered that it is the letter "I" followed by "929" and not the number "1929" as believed?? I find it strange that someone took the time to counterstamp these and had the punches to do it, but although they had a 9 and 2 they couldn't come up with a 1 and used a letter I punch instead.

Kind of like the "1" in the 1960 counterstamp below.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    edited August 27, 2022 12:46PM

@Maywood said:

Wonder if it's 92.9% silver?

• Options

@JP_Coins said:

@dcarr said:

@Crawood said:

@dcarr thanks for sharing. That’s very humble of you, especially when it comes to such a rarity. I have “never” seen a uniface Pedley-Ryan. I can only imagine what one is worth, not to mention the sheer rarity. Thinking on that, I’m curious if it’s unique. — Does the closed eBay listing still exist regarding sharing a photo?

The listing is long gone. I should have saved pictures, but I did not. The final winning bid was about $1,600.

• Options

@Maywood said:

I think some early character punch sets lacked a "1" and it was expected that people to use an "I" instead. Or, it is very possible that the "1" punch was damaged and the only thing close was an "I".

On the "I929" counter-stamp, it appears that the lower right serif of the "I" is partially missing. Perhaps someone tried to convert an "I" to a "1" by grinding off one serif, but they did the wrong serif because they would have been looking at the punch itself (which is backwards from the impression that it makes).

• Options
    edited August 27, 2022 4:34PM

@dcarr said:

@JP_Coins said:

@dcarr said:

@Crawood said:

The listing is long gone. I should have saved pictures, but I did not. The final winning bid was about $1,600.

Do you recall which side was struck?

• Options

Hey all — a second “J.O.” example was just posted on eBay and is up for auction. Now I’m a bit confused. That’s 2 examples that are now confirmed. Both graded by NGC.

• Options

@JP_Coins said:
    Hey all — a second “J.O.” example was just posted on eBay and is up for auction. Now I’m a bit confused. That’s 2 examples that are now confirmed. Both graded by NGC.

Same seller, as well. Could this be a true variety now that 2 examples have come up for auction?

• Options

I purchased on eBay several years ago and it was $1,600.

• Options

Bought this one many years ago at an estate sale in DC.

• Options

I remain skeptical that the "1929" punching is anything other than post-1933 graffiti, such as I could do myself with the number punches I own, but I admit that I "know" nothing.

Ditto with the "JO" counterstamps. If it said "TD" I would suspect myself, but it does not.

TD

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    I remain skeptical that the "1929" punching is anything other than post-1933 graffiti, such as I could do myself with the number punches I own, but I admit that I "know" nothing.

Ditto with the "JO" counterstamps. If it said "TD" I would suspect myself, but it does not.

TD

I for one, would be in for a TD counter-stamped Pedley-Ryan . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options

@Crawood said:

I purchased on eBay several years ago and it was $1,600.

Yes, that is the one my friend was bidding on but he bid less than the amount that I told him to bid.
    Anyway, please send me a private message if you decide to sell it ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file