Home U.S. Coin Forum

An 1822 Capped Bust Half - New Arrival - GtG and Comments appreciated

pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 29, 2023 9:57PM in U.S. Coin Forum

SPOILER ALERT - GRADE REVEALED IN POST 14

Today was rough, with a little slice of wonderful thrown in for good measure.

I had to go in and have a tooth removed. First one I've had extracted since I was a young buck in the Navy and they removed my Wisdom teeth ... all four the same day ... 39 or 40 years ago.

Things went smooth though, and hopefully no complications will arise, and then in a few months I'll have an implant in it's place and all will be okay. As for today, my mouth hurts and feels weird, and this isn't very fun.

On the bright side, morning surgery brought me home in time to see the mailman bring me a package!

Two coins arrived today, one is a hot mess of an 1812 with all kinds of die cracks and anomalies, which I'll show off maybe later. The other was this beauty, a middle-date gem of a coin with all the things I could want in an example in terms of strike, color and surface quality.

So, if you want to Guess the Grade, I will say it was "found" by the previous owner in an NGC holder, and subsequently cracked and regraded at PCGS, so you can guess both grades if you want.

I'll leave the Overton number off for now, so if you want to sleuth her, you can guess that too,

And, of course, you can guess if she has one of those funny green or gold ornaments too.

Comments always appreciated.

Hope you enjoy viewing her as much as I am enjoying having her here.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Comments

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin, but tough for me to grade.
    I’ll guess the current PCGS holder says 55.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am no expert on CBH but this coin is a true beauty. The obverse looks MS but it appears there is a slight rub on the eagle's talons. PCGS AU58....previous life NGC MS61.

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2023 6:26PM

Terrific CBH!

O-111.

And I'm guessing 58+.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like this coin a lot. I see it as a technical AU55 with nice eye appeal. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in an AU58 holder.

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll grade her AU53. No issues with a 55 grade though.

Funny you mentioned wisdom teeth - I had mine out a few weeks ago. I was expecting a ROUGH ride given how much everyone talks about them, but it really wasn't that bad. The worst part was having to chew with my front teeth. That was super annoying :lol:. Hopefully your recovery is blazing fast.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man that looks great. 55.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

XF45+

• dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

Very nice coin; I see too much wear on both obverse and reverse for an AU

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

• mtn_scoutmtn_scout Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

My first thought was MS with a weak strike as the obverse fields look remarkably clear. I see why people are saying AU but it still looks too good to me. I'm going to say either MS62 or AU58+ but I lean toward MS62.

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to say AU53. What a beautiful coin!! Feel better and Goodluck with the implant.

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

58.. 🤑

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 545 ✭✭✭✭

55-58 and beautiful.

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great eye appeal for an AU55. I think the one thing that jumps out at me is the remarkable freedom from distracting nicks, dings, and marks. The toning is symmetrical and free of blotches, fingerprints, and spots. Got to love it.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Late to the game... Darn... I would have nailed it.... Nice coin though, one that would catch my eye at a show or shop. Cheers, RickO

• jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would've guessed AU-53. Like others have said, this coin has no distractions in either color or damage. Only smooth wear and beautiful surfaces. Sweet!!

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is a hell of a nice bust half, Todd! Very unique in its coloration and overall eye appeal. You have a great eye for those.

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also late but would have posted 53, exactly what @jacrispies mentioned.

• psuman08psuman08 Posts: 229 ✭✭✭

Fantastic looking for sure. As others have noted, it is very clean.

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:
    I'll grade her AU53. No issues with a 55 grade though.

Funny you mentioned wisdom teeth - I had mine out a few weeks ago. I was expecting a ROUGH ride given how much everyone talks about them, but it really wasn't that bad. The worst part was having to chew with my front teeth. That was super annoying :lol:. Hopefully your recovery is blazing fast.

Al, I agree. There's noticeable wear on the lt wing, head and beak on the reverse. I can't tell if it's a trace of wear on the forelock below I and the forward most hair curl on the obverse. I'd need to see the coin in hand and be familiar with the Overton variety, as some of them leave certain areas of the coin not fully struck.

You're lucky re the wisdom teeth. I had mine removed when I was 19 and I got a shot in the roof of my mouth that was supposed to anesthetize me, but nearly made me puke and put me in intense pain instead.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great looking bustie. Iwas thinking 53-55 before I saw the reveal.

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Technically yes, its a 53-55.

But it's a premium priced coin in the 58 range at least, IMO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file