Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1952 Topps Mickey Mantle - Autographed

Hey All - hope you are enjoying the beginning of SPRING!!

I've kind of been out of the picture buying graded cards as of recent.

However, last year I made a big purchase. It's been tucked away in a vault and now I have finally gotten to hold it and take pics.

A super rare 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle - Autographed!! I love that the AUTO is in pen vs. sharpie. Its a beauty and incredible to hold and admire!!

Comments

• Options
    Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

Damn,

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2023 3:14PM

I have a new beautiful best friend!!!!!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice color!

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    fmclaug11fmclaug11 Posts: 325 ✭✭✭

Nice!!!!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike
  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

A keeper congrats!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Wow. That's great! I love where Mick signed it too. That sig really pops with that blue. Congrats on such a beautiful card!

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing
    !

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

That would be a nice item even without the signature. With it, it's spectacular.

• Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2023 1:19AM

Now that's a hell of a signed Mantle, wow. Beautiful card Chris.

Would love to hear any backstory info on the card as well as where you found it.

Brian

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

Amazing pick up. That card in any grade is always awesome to look at. Added points because its signed. Iconic.

• Options
    farmboy27farmboy27 Posts: 24 ✭✭✭

As others have stated already, that is a beautifully signed card and agree it was a really smart idea at the time to have Mantle sign it vertically on the side. . .

Quick (and maybe dumb) question, though -- what kind of holder/case is being used with the slab?

Again, congrats on the purchase -- amazing card!

• Options

@BJY83 said:
    Now that's a hell of a signed Mantle, wow. Beautiful card Chris.

Would love to hear any backstory info on the card as well as where you found it.

It was sold over at Heritage a few years ago. I am not sure if he purchased it there or after that sale.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Excellent!

Wonder if any of the "purists" will come out and voice their opinions that the card has been ruined or is now "worth less"?

My opinion is that no card, however scarce, will ever be ruined or devalued by adding an authentic signature to it.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chris,

Awesome. Your collection is the stuff of legend, sir.

Best,

Tim

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    edited March 26, 2023 11:07AM

@mrmopar said:
    Excellent!

Wonder if any of the "purists" will come out and voice their opinions that the card has been ruined or is now "worth less"?

My opinion is that no card, however scarce, will ever be ruined or devalued by adding an authentic signature to it.

Not worthless at all it is worth much much more signed based on auction results. I prefer non signed vintage cards but that is me. To each his own.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

@PillarDollarCollector said:

@mrmopar said:
    Excellent!

Not worthless at all it is worth much much more signed based on auction results. I prefer non signed vintage cards but that is me. To each his own.

I did leave that space in between. No card is going to be worthless, but some may argue they are worth LESS than before with a signature. I completely understand not collecting them or wanting autographs on the cards, but to just say the value is hurt because one doesn't collect or understand the signed card market is ignorant. Of course, I am seeing more and more online, and especially facebook groups, that a lot of people are very willing to share their bad advice and incorrect knowledge freely.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2023 11:54AM

PSA 1 unsigned = 25k-35k
    PSA 1 signed = 150k-200k

Huge difference and collectors seem to go crazy when a 52 topps Mantle signed comes up for auction.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:

@PillarDollarCollector said:

@mrmopar said:
    Excellent!

I did leave that space in between. No card is going to be worthless, but some may argue they are worth LESS than before with a signature. I completely understand not collecting them or wanting autographs on the cards, but to just say the value is hurt because one doesn't collect or understand the signed card market is ignorant. Of course, I am seeing more and more online, and especially facebook groups, that a lot of people are very willing to share their bad advice and incorrect knowledge freely.

I think things have changed over time with respect to the actual advice passed along and the overall opinions of signed baseball cards. Sort of like playing the game telephone, parts may be correct and parts may not.

First, the obvious: it’s all about personal taste when it comes to collecting: buy what you can afford and what you like.

Second, there’s some technical truth in saying that you can ‘hurt’ a cards value by having it signed. Two such examples Here’s two valid things to consider. A sharp vintage unsigned card appeals to set registry players especially in 9/10. Many of those competitors didn’t want signed cards in their sets that features 500+ cards that are unsigned. (Without dial grading, some are in eligible for sets and even with dual grading some might be ineligible anyway, depending on the set, I believe but am not 100% positive.) In addition, the signing implement matters, also, as a signature that dents or tears the surface in anyway does impact the ‘condition’ of the card or item: think how a Bic pen vs a Sharpie will have a different impact on a cards surface when it is time to be graded. Which leads me to point number three.

Lastly, you have to remember to see the forest for the trees. A beautiful item is a beautiful item in any condition. Whether it graded PSA 1 or 10, an item should also be considered on its own merits in addition to the professional assessment.

That’s a legitimate signed 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle according to PSA. It looks amazing in the holder and amazing by itself. What else can you really say?

Thank you again, Chris, for sharing such an incredible and iconic card with the forums! You know I have a soft spot for all things Mickey so I really appreciate it!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    farmboy27farmboy27 Posts: 24 ✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    @farmboy27 - This is what I put my valuable and/or most liked PSA Slabbed cards in for added protection.

Thanks so much for sharing that -- was not familiar with those but will definitely be looking into them. . .

Again, congrats on the pickup!

Kory

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

Great card. Absolute beauty.

Random thought- I wonder why signed 52T Mantle are so rare? He was not an early death and was active on the show signing circuit during the boom. Tons of Mantle autos are out there. Why not on 52T? Was it the old school stigma (don’t get high value cards signed) from that time that kept the POP so low?

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

And by the way, that is a fantastic card!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

WOW!!

beautiful card, congrats

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks again fellas!

Yeah I remember that signing these type of cards back in the day was frowned upon. I'm guessing 52 Mantles were even more elevated not to sign. That's just the way it was and fast forward that rule of thumb has created some rarities.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with Aaron!

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simply a stunning card, Chris. I grew up listening to my dad tell stories about Mickey Mantle. He collected as a kid, apparently had '52 Mantles and wanted to pass his cards down to his children, but a house fire kept that from happening. Still, I had a childhood full of Mantle stories and of worshipping that card. A signed example is simply incredible.

As for the debate about whether a signature increases or decreases value... I kind of figure that generally speaking it increases the value or the card, but decreases the number of potential buyers. Signed card collectors recognize the rarity and will pay accordingly, but the number of autographed card collectors is significantly smaller than unsigned card collectors.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

Great pairing!

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Chris, Beautiful card! I want you to adopt me!

PackManInNC