Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CBH short set....Finis

jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 30, 2023 10:25AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Once I got this first piece, I knew I was going to jump back in!
Containing just 13 dates... (1807-1820)
It's a short set of early year bust halves that focuses on some of my favorite late die states, overdates, minor mint mess ups and whatever cool coins I want to add..
Primarily VF grades, but I will definitely drop lower to get a tough coin, or bump up if a great XF or AU comes along...
Presently around 20, feels like it'll be a box of forty project before too long...😅

1807...Bearded Goddess

1808...110a, toughest 1808, fresh from @drddm

1809....115 thin planchet

1810...107a

1811...112a

1813...107a

1814...106a

1815/2...101

1817/3

1818...104a

1819/8...103a

1820/19...101

Comments

• Options
    opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a big fan of any 1807 O-111a/b!

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic coins!!

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayPem ... Very nice coins... Enjoy your new addiction... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks RickO, it's more of a relapse but the hunt is on !

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love your bearded goddess @jayPem !!

Looking forward to seeing all your other additions!

Dave

• Options

Thanks Dave!
    I'll add to the post periodically as the collection comes together..

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭

Wonderful eye you got there.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Presently around 20, feels like it'll be a box of forty project before too long...😅"
    If I counted correctly, then the first box (20) is full. Next....

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

Correct!
    The next box of 20 is filling up although I'm not sure I know the number off hand... I do know that there are 5 dates left to finish the set though 👏

• Options
    edited April 28, 2023 9:01PM

Part four posted at the top.
    The key, 1815/2... and my favorite, the fabulous 1817/3 🤗

The only other coin in the box for these dates is this very late die state 17-105a, a must have for any set of cracked bust halves!

• Options

Thanks Todd ( @pursuitofliberty )
    Fixed the background on my 1813, now I can sleep at night.. 😜

• Options

Oh man that last 1814/3.... I am a sucker for bust half errors and 1814's. The combo of the off center and the 1814 yeardate gives me chills! Great surfaces on that guy too, it is a very attractive coin.

You know you need to squeeze a single leaf somewhere in there, right?

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options

Funny you should mention that!
    I'm leaning toward the 13-109a, there have been a couple I was close to pulling the trigger on but so far there have been other coins I've wanted...
    17-106a is another one the set needs.
    14-105a for sure... of course it'd be great to have them all 🤑

• Options

And as long as I'm taking about coins I want to add to this set... does anyone have an 1809 109b gathering dust??
    🤔

• Options
    edited May 9, 2023 2:30PM

Part 5 posted up top... 1818

• Options

Oh yeah, shall we call this the "b" state?
    Yeah or nay...

• Options
    SouthcountySouthcounty Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭

@jayPem said:
    Yeah or nay...

I was just about to comment that the 1818 104a sure does look like the "b" to me as I see that crack at star 8 and through down to 13. What else is needed to qualify?
    Love this concept of coins with character.

• Options

@jayPem said:
    Yeah or nay...

I don't know the die state 'b'. My Overton 3rd edition does not have that listed. Only 104a. PCGS does not list it that I can see. However, my relatively new die state progression book has a 104.3 which I will assume is 'b' as the 'a' is 104.2. So with all that - Yes it is a 'b'. Here is the HA photo that the book references to qualify for a 104.3. The OP one looks to be a little more later die state (the crack through right side stars and also the crack 'joint' below bust and heavier on crack at top).

https://coins.ha.com/itm/a/1139-2990.s

OP for ease of comparison.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

I wasn't aware of the b state either..
    It's a pretty arbitrary designation. Great that we now have the bhnc decimal system!
    As far as the 18 -104 goes, I think the triangular chip, especially a heavy one like this, is about as late as it gets 👍

• Options

The Bust Half website does list the 'b'.
    If you can believe their rating, then it is an R6.
    One question I would have is how long has this one been 'on the books' (since not in old Overton and PC) and how many more might there be (found)? Then how many collecting them. Either way it appears to be a good thing. :)

http://www.maibockaddict.com/1818-o-104-capped-bust-half-dollar.shtml

• Options
    edited May 26, 2023 5:36PM

Updated with this 1819/8
    Not too many big die cracks in the 1819 marriages but this one counts.
    There is a later die state with a couple more and heavier cracks, still looking!
    This image will have to do for now also…

• Options
    edited May 26, 2023 5:38PM

Ok, fixed the size but lost my circle crop.. helpless.

• Options

And there it is... my 1807 to 1820 short set, wrapped up and posted for your viewing pleasure.
    Cheers

• Options

Bravo my friend! I wish my progress was as swift as yours. Congrats on the fantastic assembly!

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are just badass Jordy! Damn those are some really fine hot messes!!

Love them all!!

I am a bit partial (kind of) to the 11-112a, 14-106a and 18-104a ... not exactly sure why ... they all just kind of speak to me. Of course the Beard is very cool, and the 14-103 with the punched T on the obverse is still one of my favorites you've ever shown.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

@jacrispies said:
    Bravo my friend! I wish my progress was as swift as yours. Congrats on the fantastic assembly!

Some of these I've had for some time, but the other pieces really started falling into place...a bit swifter than I imagined actually 🤯
    Of course it's really just a start... so many great late states to try and find. As you said, still no single leaf!

• Options

@pursuitofliberty said:
    You are just badass Jordy! Damn those are some really fine hot messes!!

Love them all!!

I am a bit partial (kind of) to the 11-112a, 14-106a and 18-104a ... not exactly sure why ... they all just kind of speak to me. Of course the Beard is very cool, and the 14-103 with the punched T on the obverse is still one of my favorites you've ever shown.

Thanks Todd!
    You've helped me pull the trigger on alot of these coins, and also helped me not pull the trigger on a few as well...
    As I said already, far from done, so I'm sure you'll be hearing from me once I'm back from summer vacation 🏖

Agree all the way on the 11-112a, 14-106a, 18-104a, 14-103.... but that
    12-106.... 💥

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

Very nice; has the look/color/toning that I like.

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2023 8:18PM

Congratulations. You’ve a great set going there! I love the capped bust 50 c.

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

👏

Lookin good

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have a nice set of halves with many interesting varieties.

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    cappedlibertyxcappedlibertyx Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

I really enjoyed your "short set+." Some legendary marriages in the bunch. The 1814 O.107a is a looker. Don't forget to BOLO for an 1813 O.105a VLDS. It would fit right in that set. (Not that you need to change a thing w it because its perfect the way it is.) This has been my favorite thread in quite some time. Thank you.

• Options

Thanks all!
    I'll keep posting additions when they turn up... 👏

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file