Home U.S. Coin Forum

Please post a completely original raw coin

CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s see some crusty original coins that have not been slabbed. Here is one to start things off.

Comments

• TonedeafTonedeaf Posts: 219 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    This is my favorite classic commem design and one that isn't found circulated all that often.

That is my favorite commemorative. The story about the charter oak is great.

Shiny things distract me.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish modern coins looked as interesting in lower grades. Maybe in 50 years, but I doubt it. The Liberty Seated coins in particular look good in F - VF.

• Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

• Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2023 7:17AM

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ken
  • LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭✭

• mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

mirabela
  • bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ken
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

All 100 coins completely original and raw, just not very crusty. ;)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

My definition of a COMPLETLY ORIGINAL coin is sooooo different from what is shown in this thread.

Original - existing from the beginning; first or earliest. The only way this can occur with a coin is for it to look the same as the day it was minted...not after years of wear or exposure to elements to tarnish or both.

I've just never understood this. I think the intent of this thread is for coins that have not been intentionally doctored or cleaned and have the appearance of an honest life, which is fine...but based on the definition, original is not the right word to use.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

The nickel is still raw. :D

• TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2023 4:09PM

Trade $'s
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:
    My definition of a COMPLETLY ORIGINAL coin is sooooo different from what is shown in this thread.

Original - existing from the beginning; first or earliest. The only way this can occur with a coin is for it to look the same as the day it was minted...not after years of wear or exposure to elements to tarnish or both.

I've just never understood this. I think the intent of this thread is for coins that have not been intentionally doctored or cleaned and have the appearance of an honest life, which is fine...but based on the definition, original is not the right word to use.

I can certainly understand how you define “completely original”. But I don't understand how you’ve “never understood” the widespread use of the term by so many hobbyists in different collectible fields.

For example, in addition to many numismatists’ use of “original” with respect to coins, surely you understand about antique cars that haven’t been restored or had parts replaced, antique furniture and pottery that hasn’t been repaired or restored, etc.

Additionally, there’s the use of “original” as opposed to a “copy” of something, such as a coin, document, painting, and so on.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭

I am afraid my definition of original is quite limiting. I collect Seated coins and would advise anyone who is obsessed with the idea of having "original" coins to collect something else.
    First off, I think it is impossible to know all that has happened in a coins life, so any coin graded XF or lower may have had any number of things happen to it. Wear and tear has simply worn those effects away. I would also postulate that less than 1% of Seated coins above XF are truly original.
    I think a lot of people mix up the notion of eye appeal with originality. In my opinion, the vast majority of extremely attractive seated coins have secondary toning. I personally own exactly 2 coins that MIGHT be original. that is in a collecting period of more than 25 years specializing in Seated Coins. I will add that neither coin has what I would consider extremely attractive
    toning; I just can't find the usual traces of a coin dip. (If you don't know what I mean, a coin dip whitens the coin but with a 5 X magnifier you will find traces of the previous terminal toning hidden in small recesses such as star crevices).
    I have seen a few collections sold that featured coins collected many years ago and stored in bank vaults or some such thing for many years. In every single case those coins had terminal or near terminal toning. I also bet most of them ended up getting dipped by their new owners.
    I just wonder what surprises those new owners discovered.....James

• TrampTramp Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have owned this for about 10 years. I bought it at a local coin shop with the intent of sending it for grading with our hosts, but never did. I am guessing it would be low MS, perhaps 62 or 63. The photos do not really show the luster, but it does have plenty of mint luster. It's overcast outside today and I use natural light to photograph coins.

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to the 2 X 2, I bought this coin on 01/30/1987 for $28.

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

@seatedlib3991 said:
    I am afraid my definition of original is quite limiting. I collect Seated coins and would advise anyone who is obsessed with the idea of having "original" coins to collect something else.
    First off, I think it is impossible to know all that has happened in a coins life, so any coin graded XF or lower may have had any number of things happen to it. Wear and tear has simply worn those effects away. I would also postulate that less than 1% of Seated coins above XF are truly original.
    I think a lot of people mix up the notion of eye appeal with originality. In my opinion, the vast majority of extremely attractive seated coins have secondary toning. I personally own exactly 2 coins that MIGHT be original. that is in a collecting period of more than 25 years specializing in Seated Coins. I will add that neither coin has what I would consider extremely attractive
    toning; I just can't find the usual traces of a coin dip. (If you don't know what I mean, a coin dip whitens the coin but with a 5 X magnifier you will find traces of the previous terminal toning hidden in small recesses such as star crevices).
    I have seen a few collections sold that featured coins collected many years ago and stored in bank vaults or some such thing for many years. In every single case those coins had terminal or near terminal toning. I also bet most of them ended up getting dipped by their new owners.
    I just wonder what surprises those new owners discovered.....James

Agreed.
    And to add I often wonder why only 5x magnification is advised and higher than that is frowned upon, it is as if the hobby doesn't want coins to be looked at too closely............hmmmmm.

• Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a racketeer V nickel?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file