Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Supposed to be expert claims I’m wrong.

wheelguy93wheelguy93 Posts: 6
edited March 13, 2023 7:54AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I had reached out to just answers expert coin appraisals. And was informed I had nothing of significance so I argued about the one from the reverse being stamped on the in god we trust line. Please someone tell me I’m right cause this quack was making me angry. I’ve been doing this long enough to spot and know an error as clear as this!

Comments

• Options

Yet this is possible but the reverse being caught one the corner is impossible cmon now!

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first give away is the use of the word "stamped" in the post, the second give away is everything else. I suggest you start with the premise that you know nothing, pay attention here and be patient. This isn't a Hobby where expert status, even if it is ever attained, comes overnight.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not that it matters at this point but pictures of the reverse would also help tell the story.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2023 9:11AM

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Here ya go, I just made this error for you. ;)
    Notice the ONE stamped in the field.

Every "error guy" tried this experiment in their garage to help understand just how easy it is to "try" to fake an error coin.

Heads up, it is super easy to do, but super easy to spot as a fake.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is another ultra rare flip over error I just made. :D

• Options

Sorry no for you! :D

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wheelguy93 said:
    so why’s it always jump to its fake???

Because it just about always is.

I'm not an expert, but I can see that your coin is damaged.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, should be clear now you are wrong; hope you find the time to actually watch and listen and maybe you might find the Hobby enjoyable.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2023 9:27AM

@wheelguy93... Welcome aboard. All sorts of coins end up in bank rolls...even foreign coins. @FredWeinberg, the leading industry expert on error coins, gave you the correct information... Post Mint Damage (PMD). Intentional most likely. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2023 9:28AM

lets see how long before they shut this place down. no circus
    welcome to the forum as well

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wheelguy93 said:
    if it’s possible for you to do that with a hammer why is it not possible that the minting machine struck it multiple times like a capped dye I’m not meaning to argue but I pulled this from a bank roll and I just find it hard to believe that anyone even attempting to fake a error would strike it multiple times to this extent. And all kinds of mis-struck beaten out of shape coins make it out of the mint like the 70d so why’s it always jump to its fake???

A multiple strike in a press does NOT look like yours.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@ctf_error_coins said:
    I am an expert and that coin is damaged.

Are you certain you're not a "supposed to be expert"?

Never trust a self-proclaimed expert. ;)

You just referred to yourself as an expert on self-proclaimed experts

OK enough of the pile on....its damage, to the OP..next question?

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am also an expert, though if saying that means I am self-proclaiming it, I guess I just disqualified myself from commenting? Anyway, your coin is damaged. Good luck finding someone to agree with you.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wheelguy93 said:
    I enjoy the effort you all put in with your dick beaters to make a fake that’s comical that first guy must of used his mouse hand cause he didn’t beat it very well but thanks for the input everyone. cause never in history has the mint ever released any restruck off center misshaped or even capped dye coins every error coin in existence can be counterfeited! An admin or moderator can gladly delete this post! Obviously Im wrong cause something can be duplicated but not done by a machine that spits out millions of errors a year

They look different when faked. Everyone on this thread recognizes the fakes as fakes. We weren't fooled by the faked error.

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please take the responses in the spirt they were given. You're coin is not a true mint produced error. Thats a fact and facts are neutral, not good or bad.. Most important thing for you to do now is to look at a lot of true error coins and buy some books on the subject and learn, it can be fun! My favorite : The Error Coin Encyclopedia Paperback – January 1, 1991 by Arnold Margolis. You can buy it on Amazon. Many other books available also. Good Hunting!

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ya.
    I called ya Goober. Shoe fits, wear it.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won't jump into the fray as I don't think I'm an expert in anything. Been doing coins almost 70 years now but still learning. Long ago I realized that PCGS is the EXPERT and everyone else was just pretending. Send it in and pony up the $35 or so and see what they say.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

The OP is off to the next coin forum to further frustrate them. :D

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

You gentlemen are very patient with OP's like this, kudos. Seems like they usually devolve in a similar manner, unfortunately.

This discussion has been closed.