Home U.S. Coin Forum

My Uncle Howard Passed Away Last Night - Please Post a Coin (or Medal or Currency) from 1928

winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 4, 2023 8:59PM in U.S. Coin Forum

My dad was one of 10 children, and my Uncle Howard was the youngest of those ten. He was an icon in the Hospitality and Tourism industry. When he retired from the corporate world decades ago, he became a Professor at Virginia Tech, and was still teaching classes up until just a few months ago, despite his age of 94. About five years ago or so, Virginia Tech even named the Department of Hospitality and Tourism after my Uncle Howard.

After my dad passed away 22 years ago, in a subtle way my Uncle Howard unspokenly "stepped in my dad's shoes". Over those following years, he gave me guidance and strength. We shared many fun times together, things that I would have liked to have shared with my dad. We had a LOT of laughs, as he loved my jokes.

In honor of my Uncle Howard, here are my four coins dated the year he was born. Please post yours.

Thanks.

Steve

MS66+FH w/CAC:

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

Comments

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve, I am sorry to hear that news. What a great man. Here are my two 1928 Saints. One 65+CAC and one 66+CAC

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,163 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences to you and your family on the passing of a loved family member.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am so sorry, Steven. Just keep his memory fresh in your mind. My families condolences to yours.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

This 1928 quarter eagle from my raw set is the only nice thing I have from that year.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve, I'm extremely saddened to hear about your Uncle Howard, my deepest condolences to you and your family 😢. I can relate, as my uncle often played a fatherly role in my life when my dad and I were not on great terms.

Disclaimer- This is not my coin, it belongs to a friend of mine

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss Steve. In your honor Uncle Howard. May you rest in peace.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear Steve

I had to go digging ... here's my favorite 1928 Mercury, from an image taken 15 years ago. Still in the rattler, never seen by CAC, still in the box of keepers.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your Loss. It sounds like he lived a full life. Here is a coin I bought yesterday and took the pics of a few minutes ago, No slab shot yet, 66 CAC

• CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences to his family and friends.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • TonedeafTonedeaf Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am also very sorry for your families loss.

Tonedeaf is a nickname given to me in reference to my guitar playing ability.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences

Mr_Spud

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve.

My condolences to you on the passing of your uncle.

Kevin

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss. Praying for the family. RIP

• Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

Sorry for loss Steve. Thoughts to you and your family. R.I.P. uncle Howard.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

My heartfelt condolences.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• TrampTramp Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2023 6:50PM

Our condolences!

In honor of your Uncle, my finest 1928!:

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences and prayers for you and the family.

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences Steven

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your loss.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences to family and friends.... No 1928 coins... RickO

• kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know you'll take comfort in the many fond memories you have of your uncle. In honor of a long life, well lived, here's a well-worn birth year half.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing how a loving family member can step up and really make a positive influence on your life.
    I’m sorry for your loss but very happy you have so many wonderful memories. 🙏

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold note for a golden memory

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2023 8:30AM

Sounds like an awesome Uncle. I’m so sorry for your loss. 😢 RIP Howard. When I return home I’ll post a SLQ from 1928.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your uncle Howard sounds like a really exceptional and productive man. It’s incredible, and a testament to his life and vitality that he was so active until recently as well.
    He clearly had a great impact on many life’s, including yours.
    My condolences to you and your family Steve. It was a very nice tribute you shared.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m sorry for your loss.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am so sorry for your loss. He is in a much better place now, brother. Please rest on that.
    My sincere condolences.
    Joe

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a 1928 coin to share, but I still wanted to post and express my condolences for your loss. I am glad you have so many fond memories of your Uncle Howard. May he rest in peace, and your memories live forever.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about that.
    Here's the only 1928 I have handy, this and my avatar coin.

Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file