Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coins that were only a pipe dream when you were a young collector

fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was putting my recent 56 flyer in safe deposit and found its home next to my chain cent. Found myself thinking back to when I was a 3rd grader building an Indian head set and thought no way I would ever own the 56, was always a dream. The chain cent didn't come onto my radar until much older, didn't have any blue Whitman folders for those. Funny thing is both coins have come from the same dealer.
This 56 flyer is the first coin that truly made me happy to purchase in a few years. Maybe it's time to go buy the 1916-d merc dime and plug that hole that I could only dream of as a kid in the 1990s

I would love to see some coins that you guys now have, that as a young collector could only dream about.

Comments

• fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful 12-s. That's another hole in the old Whitman I never filled.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2023 7:15PM

@erwindoc said:
    I have a much better one now.

You think?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    I had a barely readable cull in my folder when I was younger that I convinced myself was an 1885. Still not sure to this day! I have a much better one now.

Your 1885 and my 1912-S came from the same source! I still drool over your '85. It's hard to get a better example than that.

Dwayne Sessom
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great looking 55/55.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

No picture here - it's in my safe deposit box.

I collected coins through college. Built sets of circulated late 19th century and 20th century coins including many keys. Sold them all after college to fund my stamp collection because I didn't trust myself to grade coins, especially those in the higher grades. The the only Commemoratives I had were the Columbians my grandfather picked out of circulation and the inexpensive Booker T. Washington and Carver - Washington coins. Always dreamed of the Hawaiian.

First coin I bought when I restarted coin collecting in 2002 was a graded PCGS MS64 Hawaiian.

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

I love this hobby and I love America! Where else would it be normal for someone to say " I'm not a wealthy man" and then proceed to tell us he's getting ready to spend 6K on a nickel?

It might be his last nickel.

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Veep said:
    We had no money with which to buy coins. Name any key date and it was a dream that would never happen.

One day we rode bikes to the next town over where I bought a BU 1909-VDB (without an “s”) for three dollars. In my mind, that was the closest I’d ever get to owning a key date. I still have it.

Similar story, after filling a small handful of holes in my Wheat cent folder, my dad drove me one town over to a coin store where I bought an UNC 1909-VDB for that same $3. I still remember how lonely it looked in that folder. Never thought I'd have an S-VDB but I've been lucky enough to own a couple over the years, including my icon.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • 124Spider124Spider Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a kid, I only got coins out of circulation. Most everything I knew was printed on the Whitman coin folders I used.

I was not aware of truly exotic coins, and didn't even pay attention to a coin like the 1916 Standing Liberty quarter or 1916-D Mercury dime, since there were so many less exotic coins in both series I knew I would never get.

But I was aware that the1909-S VDB and 1955 DDO Lincoln cents were special, and I dreamed of getting them someday.

It was very cool when I did, only a few years ago.

• olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭

A lot of nice coins are still a pipe dream for me even though I’m far removed from being a kid.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2023 6:56AM

@DoubleDime said:
    As with most here it was the 1900-S V.D.B. Lincoln Cent and 1916-D Mercury Dime. Also on the list were the 1909-S and 1914-D Lincoln Cent and 1932-D and S Washington Quarters. I got all of these coins in Nov. and Dec. 1977 while stationed at the Marine Barricks in D.C. In Sept. 1978 I got my first gold coin, a 1914-D Indian Head Quarter Eagle. I still have all these coins.

That is weird! We must be brothers from a different mother. I picked up some random coins in the early 70's while stationed at Marine Barracks, Ft. Meade.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of my early walkers would fit into this category. Dreamed about them since 1993. Back then, a full set in MS 65 or better sold for a record breaking $250,000. That would only be a down payment today….

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2023 10:53AM

Because I started about 60 years ago when I was very young, everything with a face value of more than a quarter was a pipe dream – and quarters happened only rarely.

When in doubt, don't.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    I guess this is a great place for post #2000

As a YN, or middle aged collector, or old guy, I never expected to own Early gold. To get these 3 within a month or so was crazy. I still pinch myself when I look at them.

Great coins! What a wonderful surprise then!

Out of curiosity, was this before or after you picked your forum handle :)

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose most of what I have now. I remember being a kid and seeing prices over a hundred dollars thinking I'd never be able to afford them.

Collector, occasional seller

• fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins and stories. Very obvious why the 09svdb, 77 Indians, 85 lib nickel, 16d, 56 flyer etc are still so expensive compared to other much greater rarities. Nostalgia. Wonder if the next generation of collectors will have thr same pull for these coins or have dreams of something else

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

@D808LF said:

What an absolutely gorgeous coin! Please find someone to take a nice image!:)

@Catbert - That is an ideal example, very nice!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file