Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coins that were only a pipe dream when you were a young collector

2»

Comments

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    Here are three of mine:

Steve

Nice FE. What is that threadlike thing by the eagles claw? Scratch,thread?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes I think the fantasy of finding or somehow getting hold of one of the classics as a boy was better than the actual owning of them. I got a couple, but even sold back into the trade a few (like the 1889 CC that I bought raw and sold for a substantial profit).
    Still, I inherited a wheat penny (cent) collection from my great-grandmother in about 1967. Sadly, my dad had removed and sold all the scarcer coins, excepting an EF 1931-S that I still have. But I was looking at empty holes where the 1909 S, 1909 S VDB, 1910 S (!), 1914 D, 1922 (plain), 1924 D. I remember dad selling the 1909 S. VDB and buying an SLR Minolta camera for $110 with the proceeds. Oh, yes, for some reason missing a 1940 D!
    I used to go to the Santa Maria (SB) County fair and remember drooling over the set-up dealers displays with Cal territorial gold all the way up to slug size. I got a Red Book that year, and absolutely KNEW that rarer gold was undervalued & with very little premium over common dates and priced essentially very near to bullion. BUT, I had NO money.
    So I used to look through my dad's penny ante poker cloth bag for the missing pennies and never fount them. Finally, when in college and nearly penniless (LOL), I went to a local auction and picked up a raw 1909 S that still had substantial red and is still unslabbed. The other coin I always loved because 1907 High Relief $20 was too expensive was the 1921 Peace Dollar. But yard work was not a quick way to make money and remember the first numismatic purchase was a 1971 S Proof Ike Dollar for TEN DOLLARS! (what was I thinking?)...

Here is a 1909 S VDB I got raw (not recommended) in an European auction:

Sorry have to find picture of reverse...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eddi Very cool chain cent. Are you going to get it slabbed? I've seen similar coins get a straight grade.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tonedeaf That's one of my goals! Just a common date Saint. They are mesmerizing to look at (even for non-numismatist types!) and are a welcome addition to just about anyone's collection.

Dwayne Sessom
  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tonedeaf- Widely believed to the most beautiful American coin minted! Stunning! 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• TonedeafTonedeaf Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dsessom said:
    @Tonedeaf That's one of my goals! Just a common date Saint. They are mesmerizing to look at (even for non-numismatist types!) and are a welcome addition to just about anyone's collection.

@OAKSTAR said:
    @Tonedeaf- Widely believed to the most beautiful American coin minted! Stunning! 👍🏻

I spent a lot of time as a kid looking at them in books. I still get silly smile when I look at it now!

Tonedeaf is a nickname given to me in reference to my guitar playing ability.

• TonedeafTonedeaf Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭✭

It still surprises me how much of a thrill I get from only seeing a coin that looks amazing to me, regardless of the grade. When I am able to actually purchase one of them...it's an amazing experience.

Tonedeaf is a nickname given to me in reference to my guitar playing ability.

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    It's not the most valuable coin I have, but I had always wanted one of these when I was a kid. I made my inner kid happy when I had the opportunity to buy this one and pulled the trigger.

I bought one while in college and this was before TPG. It always bothered me to see that "shadow of a fifth leg" and it worried me that it was a fake, so not knowing any better, I got rid of it. Does anybody know the background regarding that fifth leg in the middle?

• EddiEddi Posts: 501 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    @Eddi Very cool chain cent. Are you going to get it slabbed? I've seen similar coins get a straight grade.

@PerryHall, Thank you. I would like to submit some of my coins to a grading company to make things easier for my wife and my children. I have to overcome my concerns regarding the submittal process.
    (PCGS is in Paris, and NGC has a location in Munich so I would need to find a way to get my coins there safely. I will look into it).

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2023 8:13PM

@asheland said:
    Honestly, most of my collection I would not have thought I would own.

Agree with this. Most of what I have now I would not have thought existed to own.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file