Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Where is Analyst, Greg Reynolds?

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have seen his articles in a long time and he hasn’t posted here. Miss @Analyst and his contributions.

Comments

  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2023 3:34PM

    I enjoyed his posts here also.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjlKtcYgn0Q
    He writes for CoinWeek and CoinLink now.
    https://coinweek.com/author/greg-reynolds/

    When he was last posting here, there was a forum member who treated him very poorly, which was unfortunate but happens sometimes on forums.

  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

    He use to write also for COINage the magazine.

  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @yosclimber said:
    I enjoyed his posts here also.

    When he was last posting here, there was a forum member who treated him very poorly, which was unfortunate but happens sometimes on forums.

    Looking back at the last posts I believe you are referring to me. However, I disagree with your comment and I will post the link and the comments below. I am still not sure what he was reading into my initial post and his rant at me. I thought my reply was fairly straight forward.

    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1081914/greysheet-news-a-focus-on-some-of-the-more-unusual-coins-in-the-bass-collection-by-greg-reynolds
    .
    .
    My initial post in the thread.

    "While the greysheet article is nice, Heritage does an excellent job on their write ups on many coins and this includes this group of Bass lots. If interested, then there is much to be read at the Heritage sale for each lot.
    Note: link above for the $10 1804 and write up (3 pages in catalog).

    https://coins.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=3183+793+794+791+1577+792+2088+4294940607&ic=Items-OpenAuctions-Open-BrowseCatalog-051914"
    .
    .
    Greg Reynolds reply that I still don't understand.

    "Goldbully, I appreciate the attention paid to my article. Indeed, I am grateful that you have been a reader for more than a dozen years and have, on your own initiative, publicly cited my articles on numerous occasions. I do not know your real name and I do not recollect ever communicating privately with you.

    lilolme: If interested, then there is much to be read at the Heritage sale for each lot.

    My auction previews and reviews were never intended to be substitutes for auction catalogues. Obviously, there is much useful information in the catalogue for the Bass I sale.

    lilolme: While the greysheet article is nice …

    I hope that it is clear that there are facts, analytical conclusions, remarks about the culture of coin collecting and opinions in my article that are not present in the Heritage catalogue. Also, in more than one passage, it is diplomatically implied or at least suggested that I disagree with some relevant viewpoints held by others.

    I am not suggesting that we debate such topics in this forum. My plate is too full at the moment to take the time for long public debates. Furthermore, ever since I started receiving regular payments from CAC, I have not felt completely comfortable posting on this forum, even though I did disclose on this forum that I have been doing freelance work for CAC. It is important for participants to be respectful in regard to the owners of a public forum. I am posting now because I honestly believe that the cited post by Lil Old Me was unfair.

    I am asking those commenting to recognize that there is much material in my articles that was never in auction catalogues. Moreover, I have personally examined, and written much about, rare U.S. coins and condition rarities of scarce coins in the Eliasberg, Gardner, Greensboro, Miller, Newman, Pittman, Pogue, and Simpson collections, plus coins in landmark sets formed by Dr. Duckor, Dale Friend, David Queller, R. Fox, “Tettenhorst,” Jim O’Neal and others who I do not recollect at the moment. I attended most of these sales."
    .
    .
    And my reply to his above post.

    "No debate here. I said the greysheet article was nice. Nothing wrong with that and nothing else intended. Perhaps you are reading something into it that really is not there.

    I do still believe that Heritage does an excellent job with much of their write ups and I find nothing wrong with stating that. I find nothing unfair about my post.

    I do think you making a reference to me as Lil Old Me is kind of unprofessional."

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2023 6:50PM

    @yosclimber said:
    I enjoyed his posts here also.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjlKtcYgn0Q

    Very nice, but that looks like it's from 8 years ago.

    @yosclimber said:
    He writes for CoinWeek and CoinLink now.
    https://coinweek.com/author/greg-reynolds/

    His last post for CoinWeek seems to be 2 years ago from Feb 11, 2021.

  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2023 5:50PM

    @yosclimber said:
    When he was last posting here, there was a forum member who treated him very poorly, which was unfortunate but happens sometimes on forums.

    @lilolme said:
    Looking back at the last posts I believe you are referring to me....

    Actually I was not referring to you.
    My description was a bit inaccurate, as the exchange I meant to reference was probably not in his very last posts here.
    Sorry I was so vague.

    The exchange I recalled was from someone who stated Greg didn't know how to grade, and then added that it was because Greg was not a buyer in the high end coins he was describing.

  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2023 5:49PM

    @Zoins said:
    His last post here seems to be 2 years ago from Feb 11, 2021.

    True, but what I had meant to say was that he posted regularly here until September 2017, when he essentially stopped.
    And the exchange I meant to refer to was somewhat prior to that.

  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @yosclimber said:

    @yosclimber said:
    When he was last posting here, there was a forum member who treated him very poorly, which was unfortunate but happens sometimes on forums.

    @lilolme said:
    Looking back at the last posts I believe you are referring to me....

    Actually I was not referring to you.
    My description was a bit inaccurate, as the exchange I meant to reference was probably not in his very last posts here.
    Sorry I was so vague.

    The exchange I recalled was from someone who stated Greg didn't know how to grade, and then added that it was because Greg was not a buyer in the high end coins he was describing.

    Thank you for clearing that up for me.

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ScarsdaleCoin said:
    Greg’s doing fine just saw him this past week at a coin club meeting in NY

    Awesome! Glad to hear it! :+1:

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2023 6:23PM

    @Boosibri said:
    Have seen his articles in a long time and he hasn’t posted here. Miss @Analyst and his contributions.

    Just want to add that I miss him as well. I'm glad he's doing well and hope he rejoins us.

  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    i didn't read all this thread.

    just wanted to say that i THOUGHT he had posted to the thread i made about some of his work nearly a year ago but i am mistaken. guess we just communicated by PM and/or email.

    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1071505/fun-auction-part-2-bust-gold-10-by-analyst

    i do remember him posting a lot with a variety of interesting topics.

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I do remember (ex-communicated) Laura bullying him so perhaps that was the reason he decided to stop posting here.

    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2023 7:44PM

    Does Greg post anywhere now?

    It seems like he stopped posting at least both here and CoinWeek.

  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Zoins said:

    @Boosibri said:
    Have seen his articles in a long time and he hasn’t posted here. Miss @Analyst and his contributions.

    Just want to add that I miss him as well. I'm glad he's doing well and hope he rejoins us.

    perhaps if you get some time, you can peruse some of his threads and find something particularly engrossing/gripping?

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2023 8:44PM

    @LanceNewmanOCC said:

    @Zoins said:

    @Boosibri said:
    Have seen his articles in a long time and he hasn’t posted here. Miss @Analyst and his contributions.

    Just want to add that I miss him as well. I'm glad he's doing well and hope he rejoins us.

    perhaps if you get some time, you can peruse some of his threads and find something particularly engrossing/gripping?

    I read them at the time they were posted and thought there were good topics and discussion.

  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Zoins said:

    @LanceNewmanOCC said:

    @Zoins said:

    @Boosibri said:
    Have seen his articles in a long time and he hasn’t posted here. Miss @Analyst and his contributions.

    Just want to add that I miss him as well. I'm glad he's doing well and hope he rejoins us.

    perhaps if you get some time, you can peruse some of his threads and find something particularly engrossing/gripping?

    I read them at the time they were posted and thought there were good topics and discussion.

    sheesh. i left out the main point. and BUMP one or more of them.

    some days they really shouldn't let me outta my cage. :s

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2023 11:35PM

    I always enjoyed Greg's viewpoint. But like many on this forum I did not always agree because we have a different perspective. While I tend to not engage highly opinionated comments and reviews, many on this forum enjoy a good fight. He probably does not post here anymore because of the aggressiveness of just a few of our forum members. Perhaps PCGS should incorporate a "no like" or "disagree" buttons so we can grade posts that are negative.

    OINK

  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

    He has a very stilted writing style that I find very difficult to read. And a big ego. Personally, not a fan.

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Analyst said:
    I very much appreciate attention from members of this forum and the interest expressed in my career. Indeed, I am truly grateful.

    Welcome back @Analyst! Thanks for your post. I understand you're busy and hope you'll stay around!

    Hopefully the personal attacks won't happen again as some things have changed.

  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I believe Greg is a nice guy. Really good writer and has been a active as any Numinsmatist writer in the last 10 to 15 years that i know about. I've been occaisionally concerned when he states this coin sold for too much money, when in my field, i have a very good sense of the market. He occasionally states something about quality or appearence of a coin etcetera that some collector paid a small fortune to buy. That had happened to me on several occaisions in the past. That's really is the result (I suspect) of Greg being a generalist and some of us being very focused on one type of coin. I suspect his articles over the years have had 100s of thousands of reads. That saying something.

    Greg how many times have your articles been read?

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Welcome back @Analyst - it’s good to see you posting again.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2023 7:18AM

    @MFeld said:
    Welcome back @Analyst - it’s good to see you posting again.

    One post does not ‘ a posting again ‘ make.

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @JimTyler said:

    @MFeld said:
    Welcome back @Analyst - it’s good to see you posting again.

    One post does not ‘ a posting again ‘ make.

    I chose to be optimistic and encouraging.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Over the years, knowledgeable contributors have been lost from these forums for various reasons. When the ability to retain some presents itself, we should all try our best to help the cause. This is a community and we do not have to agree on everything but hopefully civil interactions can occur moving forward for the betterment of the hobby. I know I would be pleased to see @Analyst posting on a more regular basis, however he sees fit.

    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2023 8:28AM

    @GoBust said:
    I believe Greg is a nice guy. Really good writer and has been a active as any Numinsmatist writer in the last 10 to 15 years that i know about. I've been occaisionally concerned when he states this coin sold for too much money, when in my field, i have a very good sense of the market. He occasionally states something about quality or appearence of a coin etcetera that some collector paid a small fortune to buy. That had happened to me on several occaisions in the past. That's really is the result (I suspect) of Greg being a generalist and some of us being very focused on one type of coin.

    Good points @GoBust!

    Regarding whether a coin sold for too much money and commenting on a coin, perhaps it's in how it's done. I don't recalls specific instances of these with the articles here.

    Here's a quote from Laura in the article: "HOW TO MAKE REAL MONEY IN COINS"

    Laura Sperber said:
    You have to know when to overpay and when NOT to buy.

    And another with a specific coin example. Here Laura highlights a specific coin with two prices, but now that the two prices are known, it's easy to indicate one price was very high:

    Laura Sperber said:
    Competition like this usually raises the market for a short period, then it always stops quickly as the big guys finish up their buying. Be aware of that risk. To get the very finest, you always have had to overpay. With these guys around, you are unquestionably buried if you out bid them-but you won the coin.

    Here is a perfect example of the danger: The $20 1876CC PCGS MS62 sold for $72,000.00 4/22. It just resold for $43,200.00 all in this week. Underbidders are not always there like you might think. Ouch! Know what you are getting into before the battle. This is why when bidding in auctions, you should not try and do it yourself. These new “must buy” buyers are really upsetting the auction markets.

    And I can understand specific comments on a coin as well. Generally, on the forums it seems people will refrain from saying negative things unless the owner asks for feedback.

    This is just general observations in response to @GoBust and not any specific commentary on @Analyst's posts as I'm not thinking of any specific post or article now.

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @JimTyler said:

    @MFeld said:
    Welcome back @Analyst - it’s good to see you posting again.

    One post does not ‘ a posting again ‘ make.

    Since I apparently missed it, what's the official minimum number of posts required to be eligible for the "posting again" category?

    I'd always thought that if someone had posted previously and posts again, that they've engaged in "posting again." And that in many cases, they end up posting again and again and...

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld said:

    @JimTyler said:

    @MFeld said:
    Welcome back @Analyst - it’s good to see you posting again.

    One post does not ‘ a posting again ‘ make.

    Since I apparently missed it, what's the official minimum number of posts required to be eligible for the "posting again" category?

    I'd always thought that if someone had posted previously and posts again, that they've engaged in "posting again." And that in many cases, they end up posting again and again and...



    image

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Zoins said:

    @Analyst said:
    I very much appreciate attention from members of this forum and the interest expressed in my career. Indeed, I am truly grateful.

    Welcome back @Analyst! Thanks for your post. I understand you're busy and hope you'll stay around!

    Hopefully the personal attacks won't happen again as some things have changed.

    I haven't been active on this forum for very long, but I would like to say that overall, my opinion is that the vast majority of active participants are very respectful and conduct ourselves quite civilly, in contrast to some of the older threads I've stumbled across on here from years ago. Distasteful personal attacks on other members, and blatant misinformation, are combated with swift and forthright opposition from other well respected members who seek nothing other than fair and civil discourse pertaining to hobby that we all know and love (@MFeld, the unofficial "Arbiter of Truth"® comes to mind ;)).

    @Analyst, we've never had a personal interaction , but I do recall some minor conversation about the 1870-S $3 at the dinner table this past fun show, I believe another forum member and myself were seated across from you. I've perused through some of your activity on the forum and my impression is that you post insightful, thought provoking discussions that encompass a wide range of topics. Personally, I enjoy those types of threads about market analysis, auction performance, and alternative type collecting. I understand that there may be professional courtesies that discourage you from contributing here, but in the event that you decide to post more in the near future, your contributions will be warmly welcomed by quite a few of us, myself included. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file