Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The 2023 January Pickups Thread…

1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

First?

Happy New Year, everyone!!!!

This item came home yesterday and I opened it after midnight so I could kick off the new year right! A classic and familiar posed photo, this image is one that was reused many times throughout the career of the switch hitting legend. One of just seven graded examples, it is quite simply a very beautiful copy:

Now let’s see what you guys picked up to start off the new year!!!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Comments

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chris...

Good luck on your sale...many impressive items there!

Monte

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Wow Chris…that is one impressive collection that you are putting up for sale. The Jim Brown on top of the cello and the 1971 Topps football cello box are insane! Good luck on the auctions.

Am sure you will do well. I can’t imagine how hard it is to let a lot of these go. That Orr, Payton Cello and Murray rookie all catch my eye. You definitely have something for every collector within those cards. Good luck on the sales.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chris…

I have my eye on an item in a current Goldin Auction…just hope we are not eyeing the same item…cause I can not compete against you! 😩

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    I added this card to my 1953 Bowman Color collection yesterday (1/4)...

Great looking copy of one of the most iconic cards ever!

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    I added this card to my 1953 Bowman Color collection yesterday (1/4)...

The most beautiful card ever made. Congrats.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls - Not chasing anything right now. Good luck and I hope you get what you have an eye on!!

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ghooper33 said:
    This will be a fun rip tonight.

hey ghooper33,
    Dig that Vader checklist...Pretty cool... :)

• Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

Those are awesome. What do they run?

Brian

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

I'll post my one January pick up once its in hand :)

• Options
    Browns1981Browns1981 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2023 6:19AM

The top pic is the Probstein listing I bought, and the middle and bottom are the card I received. The back matches the unique (gum? Wax?) stain, but the front picked up a blue ink stain on the top left. It also has a crunched lower right corner not evident in the listing scan. Wondering if it’s worth doing a return? I was very excited about this one and now bummed out.

Edit: thanks guys, I did go with a return.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought some of these from BBCE. Nice cross-over of 80s pop and wrestling. Some cool wwf cards including Hogan, Capt. Lou and Wendy Richter included.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

The top pic is the Probstein listing I bought, and the middle and bottom are the card I received. The back matches the unique (gum? Wax?) stain, but the front picked up a blue ink stain on the top left. It also has a crunched lower right corner not evident in the listing scan. Wondering if it’s worth doing a return? I was very excited about this one and now bummed out.

RETURN ASAP!! You will never grow to like this card and I would leave negative feedback for the deceptive photos.

• Options
    SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 196 ✭✭✭✭

Exactly. Return it while you can. Every time you look at the card all you'll see are the flaws.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 said:
    My first pickups of the new year

I was sure Jackson had been a free agent (but looked it up anyway).

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow @redlegs that Reggie is beautiful! Such a great image, but finding it in that grade is just outstanding.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭

I realize this is truly a "December" add - but didn't get to them until this week!
    By brother-in-law is a flea-market junkie and bought me one boxes each of score 91 Series 1 & 2 baseball for Christmas....
    He knows of my fondness for baseball cards :)

They have been ripped!
    Here are the highlight results:

On another note -
    Can anyone assist in adding the 7 unopened packs to a "unopened pack grading submission"?
    These are the only 7 ungraded unopened packs I own - and I think the minimum is 10 packs?
    OR, I would be VERY happy to add your (3 or greater than 3 packs) to a submission I would submit.

Please let me know..

Steve
    (BTW, I have numerous forum members that will confirm my "good guy status"

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    Picked up this rack from a board member 😉 and pretty stoked to add another 75 rack to my group. Plus I picked up 12 lbs or bubble wrap with it in the packaging!

hey KendallCat
    Nice rack... :)

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    mrburns443mrburns443 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:
    Mrburns, I had my eye on that Seaver but pulled back and got these instead. Congratulations!

Thanks, nothing wrong with those beauties. Congrats to you as well!

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

And now I just got an email (after I paid the invoice) that the RJ rookie was a 'glitch' and not available to buy so they're refunding that money. I have no idea what that's about but that's the one thing I bought I really wanted.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:
    And now I just got an email (after I paid the invoice) that the RJ rookie was a 'glitch' and not available to buy so they're refunding that money. I have no idea what that's about but that's the one thing I bought I really wanted.

What the hell does that mean?? Sounds like a scam!!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox