Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The 2023 January Pickups Thread…

13»

Comments

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:>
    I am now looking for just 5 cards...then I am considering my collection complete and enjoying it for a few years b4 putting it up 4 sale: 1956 Mays, 1957 Mantle, 1959 Mantle, 1967 Mantle, and 1967 Yaz.

Best Regards...

Monte

Monte - you sold the 57 Mantle a couple of years ago correct - the one ending in number 502. That was a great card, and what grade are you grabbing the above cards - assume PSA 8 and higher.

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2023 11:38PM

Hi Keith...

Yes...I regretfully sold a 1957 Mantle PSA-8.5; however, the image on that card appears grainy when comparing to another PSA-8.5 ( having flipped a few times, serial number 28xxxxxx). Also..I like a PSA-8 coming up for auction which has better color and registration (not a grainy appearance that my 8.5 had). The centering is comparable too (8.5 vs 8)...52/48 (8.5) vs 55/45 (8) side-to-side and 55/45 (8.5) vs 50/50 (8) top-to-bottom. The 8.5 wins the corner comparison vs the upcoming 8. Edges are a draw between the two cards.

1956 Mays PSA-8.5
    1957 Mantle PSA-8
    1959 Mantle PSA-8 or PSA-8.5 (I really missed out on an exceptional PSA-8 (PWCC-E) a few years ago on PWCC Buy-it-Now ...$4250 (serial number 0xxxxxxx before 1/2 point grading scale implemented by PSA).
    1967 Mantle PSA-8.5
    1967 Yaz PSA-9

Best Regards...

Monte

mint_only_pls
  • sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 492 ✭✭✭✭

The 1956 Mays PSA 8.5 on eBay is also listed on myslabs for same asking price(15K), OBO. Cert ending 700 that last sold approximately two years ago for around 7.5K..............

edited January 24, 2023 4:03PM

@sayheywyo said:
    The 1956 Mays PSA 8.5 on eBay is also listed on myslabs for same asking price(15K), OBO. Cert ending 700 that last sold approximately two years ago for around 7.5K..............

I saw that the card last sold for $7500.

The nicest 1956 Mays PSA-8.5 (Gray back) sold on PWCC as an PWCC-A. It is dead centered in both directions w/beautiful color and registration. The upper right corner when placed horizontally is the only reason for not being a PSA-9. My collection want lists have changed while assembling my collection over the years (started as a 100-card goal and will end being a 133-card collection) and the 1956 Mays has not always been on that list. So…unfortunately, I missed the PWCC-A PSA-8.5 or I would bid aggressively on it (been all over it).

With just 16 PSA-8.5s 1956 Willie Mays (Gray back) graded or 1% PSA-8.5 and PSA-9s combined out of the total # cards graded by PSA for this card...it can be a long wait before the right example becomes available.

Here is the 1956 Willie Mays Gray Back PSA-8.5 (PWCC-E)...which I am referring to:

https://sales-history.pwccmarketplace.com/items/MONTHLY2056568

mint_only_pls
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2023 10:12AM

PSA 8.5s seem to have reached a higher premium over 8s the last few years and vary widely by card. Back when it was my most commonly purchased grade the premium was around 20% on an 8. On many cards, an 8.5 sells once every 2-3 years. I feel like I know this area well as 20% of my graded collection is PSA 8.5 with another 13% being SGC 92/8.5 (mostly 60s and 50s HOFers). Really glad I bought the ones I have as the last couple of years I rarely win any 8.5s I go for. Prices now range from barely above an 8 to barely below a 9 depending on how nice the card is and how few 9s there are. I don’t even have a rule of thumb anymore - if it is a card I follow I mentally compare to the 8s and 9s that sold recently and bid how I think it fits. If it speaks to me will pay a nice amount more than an 8. This lack of strategy has corresponded with a lack of winning bids! I don’t bid on ones I don’t think are nicer than the vast majority of 8s. Back when the premium was 20% I was willing to pay that for a really nice 8 anyway so they seemed like a bargain.

• sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 460 ✭✭✭✭

There is an absolutely ugly 1959 PSA 8.5 on EBAY as we speak...
    Not sure what's going on with the upper left corner - but I don't see it as an 8.5.
    Earlier grade ....
    Guess there will be holder collectors - not card collectors after this one!

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sjjs28 said:
    Not sure what's going on with the upper left corner - but I don't see it as an 8.5.
    Earlier grade ....

If you don’t like that one you can grab the other one for $180k+ 😉 Plus the PSA 8 that looks 80/20 both ways makes you wonder how it was an 8.

@sjjs28 said:
    Earlier grade ....

1959 Mickey Mantle...are you speaking about?

mint_only_pls
    edited January 24, 2023 3:56PM

Take a look at this 1959 Mickey Mantle PSA-8 (PWCC-E)...pay special attention to the bold colors, perfect registration, and centering. I am kicking myself for not pulling the trigger in the Spring 2020 on this beauty for $4250 :/ . I have checked the serial number to see if buyer has submitted for a review since it was graded before 1/2 point scale by PSA.

https://sales-history.pwccmarketplace.com/items/MONTHLY2349551

This card avoids the common tilt across top border too...

mint_only_pls
  • BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that's some football I can get with.

Is that an 1980 Super Cello?

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tjhorn92 said:
    Who is up for some stress ripping?

hey tjhorn92,
    no stress rippin' ...Those are Too Pretty to bust open... B)

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    I always have thought that the 1965 Bob Gibson was one of his most aesthetically pleasing cards...the black nameplate/outline with a cardinal red pennant providing a beautiful color combination. Also...I very much like the image as if Gibson is staring into home plate looking for the sign from the catcher and daring the batter to stand into the batter's box. Having pulled a 1965 Bob Gibson from a wax pack in the mid 1960s...I have had this card on my want list. Here is my most recent addition to my collection.

Love this card. Congrats!

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • tjhorn92tjhorn92 Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:
    Now that's some football I can get with.

Is that an 1980 Super Cello?

Yes sir, it is. Picked it up at the REA auction that just closed. Thought I would mix it up from my usual baseball and hockey. Box looks beautiful in hand.

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Just came yesterday. Working on a Puckett set, but it will take forever.......so many cards.

Hi Joe, didn’t know you were now tackling Puckett. That’s sweet!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

@hankcaddy said:
    Pretty big 64 add on

I very much like the Dick Allen RC…pulled one from a wax pack…back in the day.

mint_only_pls
  • BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Allen is one of the most underrated players ever.