Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wow what an auction result!!

Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin went for over 9k….!?
It is unlikely to be a 66, and if it was - wouldn’t it have already been graded??

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG! I can think of much better things to spend that kind of money acquiring.

It doesn’t even appear to be a decent strike.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice result. Congratulations to all parties.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me at that price.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not even if it was slabbed by a TPG. Education is expensive.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huge gamble by the winning bidder, IMHO.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2022 10:14PM

I saw this a while ago. I have no explanation.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dunkleosteus430 said:
    I saw this a while ago. I have no explanation.

:o:#

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

The strike looks to be very nice. The color in the listing looks weird to me. Probably not like that in hand....hopefully.

But RAW????? for $9000. I bought a 1921 RAW recently for about $1200 that may have even a better strike........only to discover I already had a sister to the one that I bought. I think typical RAW price is $300-400. To be $9,000 it will have to grade MS66. Not from those pics.

OINK

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photo is juiced and appears to be hiding surface issues, including spotting and who knows what else.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    The strike is quite a bit better than average for a 1921 Peace Dollar.
    And the coin appears to have a lot of mint luster.
    The photographer used different colored lights to illuminate it.
    That technique could disguise various problems, especially if the lighting was positioned to hide something.
    It is hard to tell if the cheek has full mint luster or if it was abraded away.
    I suspect that the coin doesn't actually grade as high as it might appear.

Is having blue and yellow lights how they always show blazing luster?
    There are a handful of sellers (that for some reason have huge followings) that I pass over because I have no idea what the coin will look like in hand.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin has a super strike for a 1921 Peace dollar, but the photo throws up some red flags for me. The unusual brightness in the center is not the usual appearance. These coins tend to be more frosty than brilliant. I would certainly never pay price like that based on that photo. Add to that, the coin is raw.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@pruebas said:

It sounds like you're unfamiliar with the typical strike for 1921 Peace Dollars. That one looks much better than “decent” for the issue.

Aren’t you the glass half full. A future big cry with a great strike.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:

@MFeld said:

@pruebas said:

It sounds like you're unfamiliar with the typical strike for 1921 Peace Dollars. That one looks much better than “decent” for the issue.

Aren’t you the glass half full. A future big cry with a great strike.

I was attempting to set the record straight on a misstatement regarding the coin's strike. If someone had posted that it was a steal at the price it realized, I would have commented on that, as well. ;)

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has to account for something when buying from this seller.

https://feedback.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/canyon.city.coin

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's as nice as it looks why isn't it in a TPG holder? No one I know has sets of raw unc. Peace Dollars. That dark area in front of the eye must be hiding something. Another expensive education.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are many bogus auction results/relistings on ebay. See if it doesn't show up again in the near future.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

Famous PT Barnum quotes:

“There is a fool born every minute”

“Many people are gullible and we can expect this to continue”

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no way I'd buy that coin based on a photograph. Maybe the buyer had someone he trusted see the coin in hand an gave him the o.k. that the coin in hand meet the standards of a grade that warranted that price.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly the self-regulation and self-policing in the rare coin marketplace leaves a lot to be desired.

Original roll of '21 Peace?

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Search eBay for Peace Dollar 1921 and then look at the completed listings. Seller claims he has an original roll.........At least 15 transactions over the past 3 months with most selling for $1,000 to $2,000. And most have the dark spot below the eye.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

The seller has more original rolls of every type of coin than is humanly possible. Also the pics they use always look like that. Overexposed maybe or too much lighting?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't silver coins that have been in an "original" roll for 100 years have some toning?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

A fool and his money just parted.

All I can tell that the 21 Peace has going for it is a good obverse strike that might make up for the scuffs on the neck. Feedback profiles are pretty meaningless for high volume sellers that can have their feedback cleansed if they play the game right.

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the photo was toyed with in Lightroom or Photoshop. The contrast is not natural and having two different temperature lights is a "no-no". I hope that the bidders got to see the coin in person and saw something that we are missing here.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    If someone had posted that it was > a steal at the price it realized, I would have commented on that, as well. ;)

It was a steal. For the seller....

jom

• Options

And for the record - I don’t blame the seller for this! You can’t / don’t put a limit on you auctions…

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

Roger Burdette needs to look at and comment on it.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2022 2:28PM

@BryceM said:
    Well, they weren't issued in rolls...... so that's already one problem. Secondary rolls could have been put together, but that's a different thing.

The photos are interesting. Certainly the coin has potential...... relatively clean, nice strike, but the luster is not at all typical of a 21. This looks more like a highly lustrous 23 or 24 Philly coin..... and it shouldn't. My personal opinion is that the dies just didn't last long enough during the 3 days these were struck to develop good flow lines and luster. Premature die failure is well-documented. The photography technique might make it look pretty, but it isn't very good for evaluating this side of the coin. The reverse, of course, is a mystery.

My biggest problem is that a coin shop isn't just going to sell a high 4-figure coin raw. It has either been graded lower than they wanted and cracked out, graded as a problem coin and cracked out, or they don't think it merits grading. The apparent result of this auction notwithstanding, no coin dealer would willingly forfeit thousands of dollars by selling this coin raw if it legitimately deserved to be in a 66 or 66+ slab.

BTW, every raw Peace dollar and Morgan on their site (many hundreds of them along with other silver coins) are advertised as having come "fresh from original rolls." They also sell PCGS and NGC slabbed coins, some with CAC stickers. This is from their auction house store.

I don't see any 1921 dates in the picture..........including the one that's face up. All the coins have the reverse side showing. The purported 1921 in the pic has the last number of the date obscured by the roll.

Does all of this seem just a little strange and coincidental to you?

Pete

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

For what purpose?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

For what purpose?

His knowledge of the date and mint and also to contribute to the other comments made here.

That's all.

Pete

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@MFeld said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

For what purpose?

His knowledge of the date and mint and also to contribute to the other comments made here.

That's all.

Pete

He would comment that it is a wretched picture of a coin with an above average strike but would have nothing to say about sales practices and bidiots.

• Options

@messydesk said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@MFeld said:

@BuffaloIronTail said:

Pete

For what purpose?

That's all.

Pete

He would comment that it is a wretched picture of a coin with an above average strike but would have nothing to say about sales practices and bidiots.

I agree with you. I never even implied anything about sales practices and bidiots.

I'm just interested in what his take is on the coin.

Pete

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2022 11:22AM

The photo itself raises major red flags for me. It really does pay to look at lots and lots of coins and coin images.

Those apples ain't what they ought to be is all I'm saying.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a lot of money for a raw coin.I hope whoever owns it is happy.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Che_Grapes said:
    And for the record - I don’t blame the seller for this! You can’t / don’t put a limit on you auctions…

Regarding not blaming sellers for what their coins bring - among other considerations, doesn't that depend upon the veracity of their claims, as well as a their imaging techniques?

Fully agree but not sure they are purposely tying to misrepresent the coin. I don’t like how they use the term “GEM” because that sometimes means MS65 … but they don’t claim any grades, sell them as raw and ungraded, and they do have a full return policy. They use pics that seem to highlight the luster on most all od their raw coins. I did have 4 graded from this seller over the past - two were details cleaned (including a 21 peace!) l, one was a MS62 and one was actually a 64 that I got at a great bid and was very pleased about (83 CC Morgan).
    I think the comment around that last two bids is interesting. How does that happen? I’ve seen them go for 3 to 4K which is still high imo. Unlikely to be higher than a 64 and you can get a 64 for less than that.

• Options

@spyglassdesign - fair points… I suppose I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt that they are not trying to mislead but I see your points.
    Thanks for commenting
    Tyler

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file