Home U.S. Coin Forum

Circulation Kills!!.............Ouch!

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post'em if you got'em.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• Post a beat-up coin or a San Antonio Missions quarter? :wink:

Young Numismatist

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    1798 P01 Draped Bust Large Cent. ANACS holder. Not Mine.
    Jim

The government got its moneys worth out of that one.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    1798 P01 Draped Bust Large Cent. ANACS holder. Not Mine.
    Jim

Nothing wrong with a straight graded P01. 👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

How can they even determine date?

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for the crappy pics - all I had was a camera that does not take good closeups.............

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it does!

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:
    How can they even determine date?

The 798 is visible if you look closely.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR ... That quarter looks like - - - well, something disgusting occurred :D;) Cheers, RickO

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

[Insert link to almost any "How much is this rare error coin worth?" thread.]

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 16, 2022 5:12AM

wrong thread

I throw it back!

Don't ask, I don't know what it is. Maybe tar. 😫

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    Don't ask, I don't know what it is. Maybe tar. 😫

it is the universe that mocks us all...

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone is your friend @OAKSTAR

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

@gumby1234 - You're not saying acetone could fix that mess are you?? 😉

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oakstar it cant hurt to try it.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

👍 👍

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve taken to throwing coins with similar tarry looking junk on them into the bottom of my washing machine when I get home. Especially ones I get from the corner convience store that’s a block from where I’m living. I always check my change when I go there and have recently found a lot of gemmy looking new uncirculated coins, which I save for my albums, but also a bunch of older coins with similar splotches of tarry gooey stuff. Me and my wife half-jokingly call them black tar fentanyl coins because of those internet rumors that have been going around recently. But I have taken to putting them in the washing machine when they have that gunk on them. In all seriously, I think it has something to do with people emptying out large coin jars into coin stars which is putting a lot of funky coins back into circulation.

Mr_Spud

• hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭✭

While circulation hurts, parking lots and roads kill coins, but they seem to sprout. I just found these while taking the dog on a walk.

Hot damn - just enough for a burger..........

What do you think this coin would grade?

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

The face of the filthy rich coin collector when looking at these lowly gems...........

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

@AlanSki said:

With one exception........P0-1's in my opinion. I believe (in many cases) a straight graded P0-1 adds value to the coin. However, the coin's date must be ID'ed.

• AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@AlanSki said:

With one exception........P0-1's in my opinion. I believe (in many cases) a straight graded P0-1 adds value to the coin. However, the coin's date must be ID'ed.

Well, this, for me at least, is an exception to that rule. ANACS only certified a few No Date examples in the small slabs, and of those, how many are toned?

@AlanSki said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@AlanSki said:

Well, this, for me at least, is an exception to that rule. ANACS only certified a few No Date examples in the small slabs, and of those, how many are toned?

You're exactly right! I would have bought that coin in a second just for that small soap bar slab!! 👍

@OAKSTAR said:

@AlanSki said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@AlanSki said:

You're exactly right! I would have bought that coin in a second just for that small soap bar slab!! 👍

You should see some of my other toned soap boxes.

@AlanSki said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@AlanSki said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@AlanSki said:

I'm afraid to ask. You call them soap boxes?? Hmmm, okay. I thought they were soap bars. People use both terms?

@OAKSTAR said:

@AlanSki said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@AlanSki said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@AlanSki said:

I'm afraid to ask. You call them soap boxes?? Hmmm, okay. I thought they were soap bars. People use both terms?

I use both sometimes interchangeably. Why? I’m difficult.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    The face of the filthy rich coin collector when looking at these lowly gems...........

ouch :(

@OAKSTAR said:

@AlanSki said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@AlanSki said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@AlanSki said:

• OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

I would think FR2, too much detail for poor IMO.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:

@OAKSTAR said:

I would think FR2, too much detail for poor IMO.

I was thinking P0-1. That's why I was asking but you're probably right.

Nice Trade $ @AlanSki 👍 👍

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2024 6:24PM

Ouch, my eyes! Ouch, Jefferson’s eyes! 1950 nickel, top 10 Jefferson, but still an eyesore.

Cheers, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found while rolling up wife’s change accumulation

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread deserves the best in show from my "Unfortunate Toners" collection...

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

From roll searching............

edited January 18, 2024 6:56PM

How about this one. Don’t you just hate it when you come across these. I don’t even know what causes it.

P.S. @OAKSTAR , why are you now OAKSTAR in jail? Ha ha! :D

edited January 27, 2024 1:51PM

I have the worst stinkin' luck!!

And now it’s time for Guess The Mintmark! Is it a W? Probably, though we’ll never know.

P.S. @OAKSTAR , last time I posted on this thread, I had no idea that you were actually in jail. I really thought that you changed your profile picture to add bars on purpose! I am sorry for the miscommunication. I imagine that you were rather displeased with me getting a laugh out of that when you saw it.

@CRHer700 said:

P.S. @OAKSTAR , last time I posted on this thread, I had no idea that you were actually in jail. I really thought that you changed your profile picture to add bars on purpose! I am sorry for the miscommunication. I imagine that you were rather displeased with me getting a laugh out of that when you saw it.

No problem whatsoever! I'm just happy I brought a smile to your face. Just glad to be back.

That quarter hurts me!

@OAKSTAR said:

@CRHer700 said:

No problem whatsoever! I'm just happy I brought a smile to your face. Just glad to be back.

That quarter hurts me!

I as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file