Home U.S. Coin Forum

Tougher Morgan dollar, how would you grade?

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

Looks MS as to wear but the darker contrast areas would make me stay away. Ad also mentions hairlines.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

The sharpness and marks appear to be a low grade Unc., like MS-62. The dull gray area on the right side of the obverse is concerning. If the mint luster is still there under the toning, it's an Unc. If the luster is impaired, it's possible environmental damage.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, tough in MS. Reverse photo appears a little out of focus, anywhere from AU58 - MS 62. Wonder if hairlines or die polishing as several vams had rusted dies and were polished. Looks a little like my vam25.

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like pvc damage in the right obverse field.

Tom

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2022 3:34PM

Based on what shows in the pictures, the coin might grade approximately 61-62. But it could be cleaned or have altered surfaces. Additionally, the marks on the face look as if they might be significant. In the end, it’s not a coin I’d bid on. I generally prefer not to take risks on uncertified coins with less than excellent pictures.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would grade it AU58, possibly a details coin.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Low grade Unc possibly depending on possible surface issues as others have said. I would need better pics to consider bidding on that one.

• unc details cleaned?

Young Numismatist

• KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭

61-62 if the photos aren't hiding something.

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like it as an unc coin. The area above the ear shows friction damage (slider). It might be, but not for my money.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

First impression was that the coin looked 'dead'. Reminded me of a little to much dipping. However, there is a strange-different lighting on it. Notice the shadow to the bottom right (5 o/c) as if the light is at 11 o/c but fairly low to create that shadow (looks like a 2nd light also).

Here is a side by side with coastaljerseyguy coin above. Again might be in the lighting also but the OP is 'dead' looking.

At the bottom the other eBay photos (lighting appears similar but camera off at an angle). A little better but not seeing good luster.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

What did it sell for? It looks cleaned and or altered, but may grade unc. detail... worth slabbing if one wanted to sell it.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sold under $400. You wonder if the vendor sent it in to be graded as Uncs go for strong money.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks MS62 based on pictures... Not a coin I would bid on though. Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

au details, fwiw

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS61.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file