Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you have coins that you're too lazy to upgrade?

I'm pretty guilty of this with stuff I keep in my collection. Nothing is a lock of course, but are you holding coins that you're 75% or better sure would upgrade if resubmitted?

Comments

  • Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I have some that I think would upgrade, but I’ve never bothered trying. I like my coins to be a bit undergraded rather than have the grade maxed out to the point it’s weak or average for the grade. It’s still the same coin after all.

    Mr_Spud

  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yes, far too many to list. I’ll worry about it, if or when, I decide to sell.

    “I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

    My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

    https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2022 10:58PM

    No

    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I wouldn't say too lazy. I just don't want to spend the money on it. That and I kinda like my old holders. In the end we are still talking the same coin in plastic, the new grade doesn't change what the coin actually is. Now if my coins would value additional money in the thousands instead of the maybe hundreds I might look at it differently.

  • hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Why do you have to upgrade? Isn’t it better to be happy with what you have? If you weren’t happy with what you purchased why did you buy it?

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I have a couple that would likely upgrade, maybe others. I just don't care..... I enjoy my coins, that is why I acquired them. I do not care to invest more money just for a grade change... I do not sell my coins - generally. Once in a while I sell a coin, and I get what I believe is a fair price. Not in the business, so not worried about income details. Cheers, RickO

  • DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BillJones said:

    I upgraded my 1907 High Relief $20 gold years ago from a PCGS MS-63 to an NGC MS-65. It took all day at a show and a lot of wrangling.

    I'm assuming you are referring to same day grading; but, what do you mean about "...a lot of wrangling"?

  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2022 8:45AM

    No - Played that game, been there done that-don’t care spend $ on that. If coin PQ just markup accordingly. My goal move material quickly / positive P&L not drown in overhead costs. Would rather spend that on fun stuff can buy low / sell high, work my angle with.

    My recent purchases from wholesaler - NGC 70 2022 ASE at $54, some 2006 PCGS 69 ASE at $38, a couple 1 oz Vienna Philharmonic PCGS 69 at $27 (unbelievable he gave away at that). AS pickoff Mexico 1944 Peso PCGS66 at $30 - sold from my table at last show $95.

    Don’t play holder, sticker, upgrade at this time just out buy stuff right then make 50-100 pct profit on. But who knows am not set in concrete….see below:

    Guy at table next to me at last weeks show crossing some nice seated material to CAC when CAC guy came up took a few at $35 fee each (but if not sticker no charge). Looked a couple them up from CPG on my phone CAC premium abt 30-50 pct on those so wb super deal for him on one’s getting the green. Looks like good play add to play book. When CACX up I bet many wb working that.

    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭

    I personally like it when the coin isn't maxed out in the holder

    www.brunkauctions.com

  • skier07skier07 Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Like anything in life it depends.

    If the price difference between grades is negligible it doesn’t financially make sense to upgrade. If there’s a significant increase in price between grades then I think it makes sense to upgrade your coins on a semi-regular basis. Grading standards continuously change and a coin that would have upgraded five years ago may not upgrade today.

    We also never know when we’re going to sell our coins. I think it makes sense to have our coins accurately graded for that time rather then submitting everything prior to selling.

  • DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BillJones said:

    @DisneyFan said:

    @BillJones said:

    I upgraded my 1907 High Relief $20 gold years ago from a PCGS MS-63 to an NGC MS-65. It took all day at a show and a lot of wrangling.

    I'm assuming you are referring to same day grading; but, what do you mean about "...a lot of wrangling"?

    "Wrangling" Going from one dealer to another trying to make the deal.

    One dealer tactic: "Your coin is over graded and it sucks." Okay, if you don't know now that I know what I'm doing, since you have seen me at shows for many years, you have not been observant.

    The NGC MS-65.

    So did you end up selling the coin?

  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Much like my answer to your similar thread I have no desire to pad the pockets of any TPG for no reason. It is not about being lazy but rather I would prefer to spend the money on a new coin vs a new grade, the coin will not change, it is either a premium coin or it is not. I did once many years ago do this and was eventually successful in getting the upgrade (with the help of a specialist dealer). That experience while successful taught me that it was not the best use of monies.

    Plus I have watched so many here spend lots of money so that their coins are in the "right" plastic at the "right" grade, and now some of those collectors are on the CAC forum salivating at the opportunity to spend lots of money to change plastic once again. Hey their collection and money their choice, just not the way I choose to enjoy my collection.

    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DisneyFan said:

    @BillJones said:

    @DisneyFan said:

    @BillJones said:

    I upgraded my 1907 High Relief $20 gold years ago from a PCGS MS-63 to an NGC MS-65. It took all day at a show and a lot of wrangling.

    I'm assuming you are referring to same day grading; but, what do you mean about "...a lot of wrangling"?

    "Wrangling" Going from one dealer to another trying to make the deal.

    One dealer tactic: "Your coin is over graded and it sucks." Okay, if you don't know now that I know what I'm doing, since you have seen me at shows for many years, you have not been observant.

    The NGC MS-65.

    So did you end up selling the coin?

    I traded it in on this one. It did not go to the dealer who played the “You coin sucks” game.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

    For me it's more a matter of disgust with the handling fee + minimum return shipping cost. :/

    When in doubt, don't.
  • PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2022 10:40PM

    I made a simple rule buy only coins I want to keep till I pass away. No upgrades for me. I just stay away from coins I know will cause my OCD to overload.

    I don't care about the grades I care about eye appeal.

    I rather own say a VG-08 I love the look of versus the same coin in EF-40 I just can't stand. I prefer circulation grades or even authentic. I am not a collector attracted to mint state coins never have been just the way I am.

  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I’m just lazy😊

    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

    :)

  • Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I have one that is clearly undergraded imo but it’s in a OGH with a gold cac so what to do…?

  • Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

    I wouldn't say lazy but instead due to the coins. It's more about the cost and their value depending on the outcome.

    Pocket Change Inspector

  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2022 6:03PM

    No - don’t have anything send in for that. Would rather spend the money on pickoffs off AS can markup 50-100.pct.

    I am sure a lot of them will try cross coins to CACG when it comes out bc the CAC CPG higher. But they have to cross and who outside of here gonna pay that? Not me.

    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Money saving tip...

    Enjoy your coins as they are. If you decide to sell, you can look into whether or not grading/regrading would be beneficial at that time and then make your decision.

    You're welcome. :)

  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I never had a coin graded - I just add them in Dansco albums for now.

    "When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

  • goldengolden Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I would not say too lazy, it just take far, far too long to get them graded.

  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

    yup, one in particular.

    my 1901 S quarter, finally got one in AG.

    I had a shot at a VG+ about 10 years ago, but the dealer wanted F money.

    Frank

    BHNC #203

  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BillJones said:

    @DisneyFan said:

    @BillJones said:

    @DisneyFan said:

    @BillJones said:

    I upgraded my 1907 High Relief $20 gold years ago from a PCGS MS-63 to an NGC MS-65. It took all day at a show and a lot of wrangling.

    I'm assuming you are referring to same day grading; but, what do you mean about "...a lot of wrangling"?

    "Wrangling" Going from one dealer to another trying to make the deal.

    One dealer tactic: "Your coin is over graded and it sucks." Okay, if you don't know now that I know what I'm doing, since you have seen me at shows for many years, you have not been observant.

    The NGC MS-65.

    So did you end up selling the coin?

    I traded it in on this one. It did not go to the dealer who played the “You coin sucks” game.

    Glad it didn't go to the "your coin sucks" dealer.

    In coin collecting, there's as much knowledge needed for selling as there is for buying!

  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I have several in my Lowball 50 piece commem set that will downgrade. I’m not cracking them out. If I’m ever at a show I’ll do a walkthrough with them. I don’t want to put them in the mail.

  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Zoins said:

    @BillJones said:

    @DisneyFan said:

    @BillJones said:

    @DisneyFan said:

    @BillJones said:

    I upgraded my 1907 High Relief $20 gold years ago from a PCGS MS-63 to an NGC MS-65. It took all day at a show and a lot of wrangling.

    I'm assuming you are referring to same day grading; but, what do you mean about "...a lot of wrangling"?

    "Wrangling" Going from one dealer to another trying to make the deal.

    One dealer tactic: "Your coin is over graded and it sucks." Okay, if you don't know now that I know what I'm doing, since you have seen me at shows for many years, you have not been observant.

    The NGC MS-65.

    So did you end up selling the coin?

    I traded it in on this one. It did not go to the dealer who played the “You coin sucks” game.

    Glad it didn't go to the "your coin sucks" dealer.

    In coin collecting, there's as much knowledge needed for selling as there is for buying!

    The idea is get the coin from you as cheap as possible. It works when you are dealing with inexperienced people. For those who know what they are doing, it damages the dealer’s reputation.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'd post pictures, but I'm too lazy to get them out of the safe.

  • DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BillJones said:

    The idea is get the coin from you as cheap as possible. It works when you are dealing with inexperienced people. For those who know what they are doing, it damages the dealer’s reputation.

    Sad; but, true. Unfortunately, word doesn't get around very much either.

  • thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yes, but they’re worth more in the holders in which they currently reside.
    Or, PCGS is too backlogged for me to wait 6 months.

    thefinn
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2022 9:21AM

    I have a number would probably send in but this is material under $100. Would rather sell raw than incur additional costs in them. They are in a collector coin binder (pages of 20) I take to shows I setup at. Stuff from a dollar up. Sales of this material helps pay expenses.

    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file